• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Kiosks Now at GS/EB, playable this weekend

AniHawk

Went there and asked the guy. He had no clue what I was talking about and asked me to get the hell out of his store. Only then did I realize that it wasn't my manager I was speaking to, and that I was in somebody's house.

M3wThr33

Banned
AniHawk said:
Went there and asked the guy. He had no clue what I was talking about and asked me to get the hell out of his store. Only then did I realize that it wasn't my manager I was speaking to, and that I was in somebody's house.

Where did you sleep last night?

StRaNgE

Banned
Speevy said:
Not only was there no Wii kiosk at my Gamestop, but the guy had no clue what I was talking about.

same reaction here. he thought i was insane when i asked when do they expect them.

like i was crazy for thinking he might actually know something that has to do with his job. lol

acksman

Well my GS got theirs in this morning. I was pretty amazed at how responsive the wimote was. Excite truck (full game) was also running. It was a pretty easy game, but enjoyable to play. The tutorials in the game took you step by step how to use the controller.

Other observations, those wimotes are gonna be stolen at just about every kiosk, lol. They are small and easy to pocket. The GS I was at required you to fork over your drivers license if you wanted to play. We will see how long that lasts before they get tired and just leave it out, which in turn will be ripped off.

The kiosk was sitting at the front of the store by the window. The sun was shining in, but seemed to have little effect on the bar and responsiveness. I was able to stand pretty far back and still have good control.

While I was in there, probably had about 10 people come in to the store. Three of them played, 2 of them payed no attention to it other than a glance, and the others were saying whats that? Three guys, looked in their twenties said whats that? They had no clue what the Wii was about.

There was a few PS3 pamphlets laying around, nothing special. I asked the GS guys if they were getting a kiosk for PS3. They said no, they gave up their spot to another store, the interest for PS3 was pretty low at their location compared to Wii. I would go even as far as to some good ole Sony hating by the employees as they had nothing positive to say about PS3.

That little kiosk sold me on a Wii purchase, I was on the edge since I have a 360, but I think the diversity in games and that damed controller will be a great addition.

salva said:
pssssst, you are 23 posts late
no...that was the first post on the forum.

I asked the local EB when they were getting one and they said they had no clue. It's a tiny store, though, so I wonder where it could even go.

Sh0k

The Wii kiosk was setup and running at my local Gamestop in Doral, FL. Excite Truck was running but wasn't able to play it because the control broke and they were calling nintendo to get a replacement.

Crappy phone pic
att00067sf5.jpg

When I went there a few hours ago to pick up FF12, the guy working there told me that they were going to be set up soon. He definitely knew it was supposed to be happening(unlike some of the times Ive been by there) but all he would tell me is that they would be set up "soon".

I got to play it today at the GS in Miami, as posted earlier (thank you).

The Wiimote might be the most comfortable remote I have ever held in my hand. It was like someone sculpted the remote just to fit into my hand, it’s so comfortable you almost forget its there. I felt all up on the Wiimote (I know what I just said...) it feels like a dream. The button on the back just feels perfect, the A button is the same, the d-pad works great. It’s got the perfect weight to it, not heavy but enough to make you feel like its something important.

So I got to the kiosk, which was at the menu screen and began to fiddle around with it. I most say rumble adds SO MUCH to the Wiimote, I can't imagine it without it. Everytime you move from one channel box to the other you get this nice rumble, it really makes it feel like you are physically interacting with the TV. You aren't just moving some cursor around the screen, because of the rumble it feels different, I can't explain it well but its just a great feature. The menu is extremely easy to navigate just move the cursor around and choose what you want, everything is easily accessible and all the text is huge. It’s about as user friendly as it gets. There were only three options available, excitetruck, Mii, and photos (which had no photos so it was pointless.).

Since excitetruck doesn't use the pointer, the menu and Mii screens were the only place you could use it. So of course I messed around with it just to see how everything feels. Like people have said you don't point at the screen, I tried it, it gets you no where. Just aim in the general direction of the sensor bar and it works fine, basically you are controlling a cursor, it’s like a mouse for your TV screen. The cursor moved where I wanted it too with no problems, you can even tell its pretty sensitive cause I could see the mouse shaking a bit just like my hands (I don’t have a steady hand).

The Mii creation is great, there are a ton of options and its easy to navigate all the options. Playing around with the Wiimote made me realize why no TV sets have this technology, why do I have to navigate my damn DVR menu with a crappy remote; we should have this style of interaction by now. One note I did try the keyboard that pops up, that is a pain. Many times when I went to click on a button as I pressed it my hand would move a little and it ended up selecting a different letter. Thankfully there is an option to have it like a cell phone, with three letters to one box; it works much better.

Oh and for the hell of it I tried to screw up the sensor bar to see what happens. If you get really close the cursor on the screen just disappears, it’s like your wiimote turns off. Just move it back and everything is fine again. I went off to the side, still worked like a charm.

As you know Excitetruck has you hold the Wiimote sideways to play. The whole game is designed around that, you navigate the menu by using the d-pad and the 1 and 2 buttons are your inputs. So I started off in training mode just to ease into it. Controls are simple, 2 is gas, 1 is brake, d-pad is turbo and tilt the mote to steer. The first trial started and I was in control, yep just like you think it would work. Tilt it slightly and the car slowly turns, twist it hard and it does a hard turn. Its such an odd feeling to have that childhood fantasy of twisting your controller around to steer to actually come true, it worked great, I was wondering why haven’t we done this before.

The game itself is ok, rental at best I would say. You have tracks that are a bit like the Cruising USA series but on dirt. There are a ton of jumps, sharp turns, some multiple paths and powerups that do some cool stuff like alter the terrain. Most of the time you are probably going to be flying in the air, like I said there are mucho jumps. If you hit the d-pad just as you hit a jump you do a turbo jump which sends you soaring, then you can change the angle and distance by tilting the mote around. If you stick a perfect landing you get a turbo boost. Speaking of turbo boost it’s just like excitebike, it overheats if you use it too much.

Excitetruck a fun crazy racing game. There are plenty of great jumps; you can slam into the other trucks, do crazy spins in the air for tricks, all sorts of stuff. So if that is your thing you will enjoy the game. There seems to be plenty of options and tracks, there are different modes like destruction mode where you need to hunt and slam into the other vehicles. You've done this all before if you have played games like Crusin USA, so you have an idea what the game is like, the difference is you have never controlled it in this way, and yes it makes a difference.

So how about the graphics... UGLY. I have no clue why Nintendo decided to have their kiosks with HDTV's, its stupid! Everything looks fuzzy and messy, I've seen this look before, it’s just like my GC on my HDTV. I'm sure with component it looks much better but again they didn't have that, just a stupid decision. Overall the game looks like a GC game; I saw no difference at all.

The game does use the speaker function on the wiimote and what do you know its a great little feature. It sounds much like one of those toy lightsaber sounds, so don't expect this awesome quality sound coming from it. The game uses it in a variety of ways, the most helpful of which is letting out a noise when you are starting to overheat. When you crash it makes some crashing noises, also when you hit a perfect jump and such. The TV sound was very low so I don't know how well you can hear it when its loud in the room but from what I heard it was plenty loud. It adds that something extra to the whole experience, I loved it.

There were a few times where I would mess up with the controls, mainly when things got hectic like when I crashed or veered off in the wrong direction. I guess I would panic and I found myself pushing the d-pad in the direction I wanted to go and then wondering why nothing is happening. We have played games a certain way our entire lives so when my gaming instincts took over I went back to the old way, its going to take time to get used to it I guess. Again this only happened when I had to act fast and such, most of the time I had no problem. Also some of the complex moves were too much for me to handle. The air spin moves has you doing the turbo boost out of a jump then pressing 1 and the d-pad at the same time while tilting your wiimote back and forth, all the while you still need to make the landing, it was just to much going on.

One question many people have is will you get tired using the wiimote. I played probably only for 20 minutes, but I was standing and never once did I feel like I would ever get tired. That whole thing is a myth; it's no more tiring than just playing with your controller. Holding the Wiimote sideways handles great as well. It’s not as comfortable as holding it straight cause the front end is smaller than the back end. In the end I think using the mote for old NES games could get uncomfortable.

So what else can I say, it was everything I hoped it would be. I really want to get my hand on a nunchuck to get the whole experience, but the wiimote alone is good enough for now. I did swing the wiimote around to see what it would be like, it felt great and natural, and I really can't wait to use it in Zelda. It didn't do anything that couldn't be done on consoles with a regular controller; I don't think that’s the point of the Wii. No, it’s to make the experience new and fresh again. I honestly could see my mom trying this out and having fun with it. Oh and kids are going to go crazy for it.

Well now it’s back to my same old boring controllers... Nov. 19th can't come soon enough.

spengo

threeball said:
I am getting ready to go to my Gamestop to trade in some games and check on a Wii Kiosk, but how much would I get for:

Metroid Prime 2
Metroid Prime Hunters
Mario Party 6
Mario Tennis Power Tour
F-Zero GX
Star Fox Command
Game Cube
DS Fat

They have an offer running until 11/05 where you get an extra $20 for your Gamecube(so $50 total). I traded mine in and paid off Zelda Wii.

For the other stuff you can get a close estimate from here..
http://wiki.cheapassgamer.com/index.php/EB_trade_in_values

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I want to go check out my gamestop later. Before some idiot breaks the controller.

acksman

Y2Kevbug11 said:
I want to go check out my gamestop later. Before some idiot breaks the controller.

I don't know, that controller felt pretty solid in my big hands. It had a nice weight to it, didn't feel cheap at all. It was smaller than I had expected though.

Everytime someone tried it out at the GS I was at, they required the person to put on the wrist strap before they could play it. But unless someone just threw the thing (which I guess is possible if they got to excited) it should perform well.

JB1981 said:
I graduated from Monmouth University!

This thread is so derailed. LOL.

Holy shit...I grew up in Ocean Twp., practically down the street from Monmouth University. My parents still live in OT, but I'm going to grad school in Baltimore at the moment.

Anyone been to the Freehold or Monmouth malls (in Jersey of course)...any Wii or PS3 kiosks there?

spengo

MiamiWesker said:
So how about the graphics... UGLY. I have no clue why Nintendo decided to have their kiosks with HDTV's, its stupid! Everything looks fuzzy and messy, I've seen this look before, it’s just like my GC on my HDTV. I'm sure with component it looks much better but again they didn't have that, just a stupid decision. Overall the game looks like a GC game; I saw no difference at all.

WTF!? They have it hooked up with composite? o_O The GC at Walmart that is hooked up to an LCD makes me want to stab myself in the face.

spengo said:
WTF!? They have it hooked up with composite? o_O The GC at Walmart that is hooked up to an LCD makes me want to stab myself in the face.

I wouldn't be surprised if it actually was hooked up via component, and didn't have 480p activated...this happened a lot back during the 360 launch.

threeball

Banned
I just played it, impressions:

1. The Wii is a small unit, but the blue light around the disc drive wasn't lit up, does the blue light that surrounds the disc drive no longer exist?

2. Miis were fun. At least 5 or 6 people infront of me in line made one, one guy named his "Chode" causing people to laugh.

3. Excite Truck is hard to get the hang of, the controlls are sensitive, but even though I crashed 20 times and went off course, I still finished in 1st place. Easy or was I just using an easy mode? I don't remember. The graphics were fine. No complaints at all. I'm sure this game takes practice to get good at. I raced on the Canada track in a blue truck.

4. The pointer is fine too. Although you aren't pointing directly at the screen, its easy to get the hang of and the fact that you are pointing at a sensor bar becomes redundant and the pointing is easy after 10 seconds. It is sensitive though, but easy to make precise movements. I can see why Red Steel chose the control method they did, it sounds like it is going to be easy to control

5. The Wii Channels were there but they weren't useful since the internet wasn't hooked up nor was an SD cart inserted.

6. It was hooked up with composite cables, but you really can't tell unless your face is close to the screen. From a decent distance(1 or 2 feet) you don't notice. And Excite Truck moves so fast that you don't notice nor care.

threeball said:

4. The pointer is fine too. Although you aren't pointing directly at the screen, its easy to get the hang of and the fact that you are pointing at a sensor bar becomes redundant and the pointing is easy after 10 seconds. It is sensitive though, but easy to make precise movements. I can see why Red Steel chose the control method they did, it sounds like it is going to be easy to control

Ugh... :(

threeball

Banned
Moderation Unlimited said:

trust me... its not a big deal AT ALL. i was about 4-5 feet away and I didnt even notice, I just moved the cursor.

honestly, if anyone makes this out to be a BAD thing, then they are just trolling the wii. after 2 seconds moving the cursor is second nature

threeball

Banned
Sh0k said:
The Wii kiosk was setup and running at my local Gamestop in Doral, FL. Excite Truck was running but wasn't able to play it because the control broke and they were calling nintendo to get a replacement.

Crappy phone pic
att00067sf5.jpg

I got a grade C, don't remember how many starts though. I know I finished 1st

C.Dark.DN

Banned
is there one of the websites (forget the name) with a map of the US, where people can input their city, saying a kiosk is there up? ps3 too.

spengo

threeball said:

6. It was hooked up with composite cables, but you really can't tell unless your face is close to the screen. From a decent distance(1 or 2 feet) you don't notice. And Excite Truck moves so fast that you don't notice nor care.

Well that doesn't sound too bad. Maybe the GC setup in my Walmart just has something wrong with it. I mean it is bad, total blur-fest.

I called my local Gamestop and they said they will not be getting them in until next week sometime. :/

Moderation Unlimited said:

Its not ugh, within seconds you will understand how to use it. In fact my first instinct was to use it as a cursor, it was only after I thought about it that I decided to see what happens if I point at the screen, which is basically nothing.

Oh yeah, excitetruck was insanely easy. I crashed a ton of times and got first place on all tracks. Hopefully thats just for the demo.

threeball

Banned
MiamiWesker said:
Its not ugh, within seconds you will understand how to use it. In fact my first instinct was to use it as a cursor, it was only after I thought about it that I decided to see what happens if I point at the screen, which is basically nothing.

Oh yeah, excitetruck was insanely easy. I crashed a ton of times and got first place on all tracks. Hopefully thats just for the demo.

I know. I kept going off track and it made me "boost" or whatever by pressing 2 rapidly to get back on the track. I only won the race by half a car length but still the fact that I drove like shit made me wonder about the difficulty.

One thing I will add, the sound quality of the Wii Remote was shit, but its a.) Better than nothing, and b.) expected since only secondary sound is coming out of it anyway so its not like they need a fancy high tech speaker in there to drive up costs.

demi

TekunoRobby said:
Mind if you tell me which GameStop you played it in?

Just wanted to quote Post #6000 and supply you with this golden nugget, my precious

http://www.gamingbits.com/content/view/1272/2/

Rich told me the Nintendo Representative that installed the kiosk said the store is the first in the South Florida area to have their Wii hooked up. So if you happen to live nearby, be sure to stop by and check it out at 9065 South Dixie Highway.

/ fark comments are lame
// i want your body

Rivithed said:
Hi Guys!

Here's info and pics of the first Wii Kiosk, playable at a South Florida GameStop (as stated by a Nintendo Rep)!

I had some time with Excite Truck, which was fun! Definitely fun playing it, but don't expect to be blown away by the graphics. The Wii is going to be a fun console, and isn't that what got everyone playing in the first place? Check it out at your local GameStop shops!
Okay, so you guys responded well to this guy's post.

And you guys did bad for me and XE, and then I get banned, just because of your complaints?

WTF?

My word; this board is full of hypocrisy.

Calidor

Sh0k said:

Crappy phone pic
att00067sf5.jpg

OT:
crappy phone pic? holy shit that's better than my old digital camera :lol

Zilch

Banned
CarlosX360 said:

And you guys did bad for me and XE, and then I get banned, just because of your complaints?

WTF?

I would suggest PMing a mod or admin and asking for this user to be banned. Make sure you send the PM two or three times so they know it's a serious matter. Don't forget lots of exclamation points!

Zilch said:
I would suggest PMing a mod or admin and asking for this user to be banned. Make sure you send the PM two or three times so they know it's a serious matter. Don't forget lots of exclamation points!
Nice trolling, sherlock.

Togeo

CarlosX360 said:

WTF?

HolyGrail007.jpg

Help! Help! I'm being repressed!

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Excite Truck sucks. Wii Sports should've been in the kiosk (or Wario Ware, or Wii Play, etc). I am also impressed by the lack of component even though it’s hooked up to an HDTV. The little Mii creation is interesting, made one on it and named it TeknoRobby.

demi

Wow, all they have is ExciteTruck? What a joke. Leave it to Nintendo to screw up again. What a horrible game.

Game-Biz

Wario64 said:
You'd think they'd have Wii Sports playable considering it's a pack in game
Knowing Nintendo, I guessing they're afraid of potential lawsuits.

*Kid swings wii-mote like tennis racket, hits another kid in the face --BAM! Lawsuit!*

variance

dyls said:
While this thread is wandering in all different directions, anyone planning on going to the Universal Citywalk midnight shabang? GAF meetup perhaps?

What's that supposed to be? When?

Top Bottom