• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Kiosks Now at GS/EB, playable this weekend

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Okay, not to troll ( :p ) about the "don't point at the screen thing" but that situation doesn't make sense from a design standpoint with the wii:

What about the "light gun" handle that's been shown? Or aiming the bow in Zelda like you're aiming a real bow? That kinda 1:1 targeting thing sounds counter-intuitive if the Wiimote is literally not designed to be pointed directly at the screen. (Which is... sort of... part of the whole implication of the Wii in the first place. Huh?)

atomsk

Party Pooper
my gamestop is going to be asking for a credit card instead of a drivers liscense

and the manager can't wait cause this underage kid calls like 3 times a day asking about it. and he probably won't be able to play it :lol

they're telling me monday, so i may stop in then

Kaijima said:
Okay, not to troll ( :p ) about the "don't point at the screen thing" but that situation doesn't make sense from a design standpoint with the wii:

What about the "light gun" handle that's been shown? Or aiming the bow in Zelda like you're aiming a real bow? That kinda 1:1 targeting thing sounds counter-intuitive if the Wiimote is literally not designed to be pointed directly at the screen. (Which is... sort of... part of the whole implication of the Wii in the first place. Huh?)

Seems to me that it'd be easier to move the cursor in relation to its current location than to stick your arm out and try to point at the exact location you want on the screen. Sucks with those stupid pointer thingies for PC.

wasting said:
went to two gamestops today, both had it setup but wasnt on, they are waiting on excite truck to come in. some reason nintendo didnt shit it with the system. it was so tiny in person though

::giggle::

I just got an awesomely silly image.

LakeEarth

Kaijima said:
There will have to be some sort of pre-game calibration if the Wiimote is to be played as a light gun (shoot at the screen kind of thing).

NintendoGal said:
Kinda off-topic but we got video of a rep turning on a Wii display.

*snipped URL*

So if you wanted to see what went on during the process, here ya go. ;p

Just want to note that we had to pull this story because apparently both Nintendo and GameStop threw a fit.

Understandably I guess, just thought I'd let you guys know.

demi

NintendoGal said:
Just want to note that we had to pull this story because apparently both Nintendo and GameStop threw a fit.

Understandably I guess, just thought I'd let you guys know.

Don't worry, nobody cared.

Branduil

Neko Tsukimi said:
::giggle::

I just got an awesomely silly image.

sparkleoi8.png

Hey guys,
For those of you who have played ExciteTruck and complained about the controls, it is possible to adjust the sensitivity to make ExciteTruck control more the way you'd want it to control.

threeball

Banned
Kaijima said:

trust me(and everyone else- listen to me when i say this):

it does not matter. the method of using the pointer is so easy and simple that it doesn't matter whether you are pointing at the screen or not. honestly, its so easy to use this pointer. i am not joking. and you arent pointing directly at the sensor bar either. you just need the black IR sensor on the wii remote to be able to see the sensor bar. from the distance i was at, it felt like i was pointing at the screen.

the pointer is so easy to use its not even funny. it will not be an issue

Branduil

MiketheBSG said:
Hey guys,
For those of you who have played ExciteTruck and complained about the controls, it is possible to adjust the sensitivity to make ExciteTruck control more the way you'd want it to control.

There's absolutely no need to adjust the controls. They just suck at the game.

I was just there today. There were a few people who were friends of the employees just completely taking over the system. I hung around for probably about 30 minutes, and they were not letting anyone else play, it was just 1 person the whole time.

JB1981 said:
My local Gamestop has a Wii kiosk all set up and ready to go but they don't have a Wiimote yet! Apparently they'll have one tomorrow or Sat.

This is the Babbages in the Ocean County mall in Toms River, NJ.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
threeball said:
trust me(and everyone else- listen to me when i say this):

it does not matter. the method of using the pointer is so easy and simple that it doesn't matter whether you are pointing at the screen or not. honestly, its so easy to use this pointer. i am not joking. and you arent pointing directly at the sensor bar either. you just need the black IR sensor on the wii remote to be able to see the sensor bar. from the distance i was at, it felt like i was pointing at the screen.

the pointer is so easy to use its not even funny. it will not be an issue

I'm not arguing that it would be inherently worse to use the pointer that way; or that it's something you can't get used to.

It just seems /really/ odd, given that Nintendo's entire promotional gimmick with the Wii is centered around enthusing that "Hey regular people! You can jump up and point your hand right at the screen now!". For all that it may be true you don't /have/ to make the GAF-feared huge motions to use the Wiimote, it always seemed that they wanted to make it possible to do that if you wanted.

So, you know, the entire thing being set up not to move the cursor or in-game objects or *targeting reticles* by truly pointing at the screen, seems dumb in a way, however fast you can adapt to using it.

Matt

I think a problem that people might be having with Excite Truck might be that they are moving the controller right and left, and not up and down. My girlfriend was doing this when I dragged here to GameStop today, and when I corrected here, she played much, much better, and enjoyed to game thoroughly (she usually almost never likes video games).

Fatalah

Hey, wow. I didn't know that the kiosks were coming this weekend so when I walked into my local Gamestop while waiting for food to be cooked at the nextdoor pizzeria, I was in the store for 4 minutes until I realized! It was all setup, except no games or controllers! NOT COOL!

Took pictures though, it was sure cool to see the hardware (at least) in person.

Carlisle

Mine doesn't have them in, I was disappointed to find :(

They also are no longer taking any Wii-related preorders (went into reserve a classic controller) :(

They also don't have the PoR preorder bundles in yet :(

They are also not doing a midnight launch :(

What a disappointing day at my local EB :(

AniHawk

Carlisle said:
They also are no longer taking any Wii-related preorders (went into reserve a classic controller) :(

You can still do games. And I'm pretty sure they'll be doing a midnight launch if only because of Zelda.

Absolutely NONE of my local EBs/GS/Babbages/etc are doing midnight launches. I'm really quite disappointed, I wanted to play Zelda throughout the whole night.

threeball

Banned
BrandNew said:
Absolutely NONE of my local EBs/GS/Babbages/etc are doing midnight launches. I'm really quite disappointed, I wanted to play Zelda throughout the whole night.

Yet they do midnight launches for Gears of War/Gran Turismo 4/etc... makes no sense

threeball said:
Yet they do midnight launches for Gears of War/Gran Turismo 4/etc... makes no sense

Well, yeah it does. I may not like the fact that they aren't doing them, but they're getting so much in that they don't see the point on doing the midnight launches. I don't know, I just wanted one as early as possible.

fernoca

Well, the latest Game Informer included an "invitation" to the midnight launch of Zelda, which I assume means a midnight launch for the Wii..apparently only for preorders.

Also, EB/Gamestop online sites stopped taking preorders of the game last week..and so did some of the stores.

Hmm.. :)

AniHawk

threeball said:

I guess it's a little different for every region. We're getting Gears in on Tuesday from 5-7, to avoid a midnight launch. I think we've been told about a midnight launch for both PS3 and Wii/Zelda though.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
I can't believe they're hooking up the wiis with composite. Dont the damn thing comes with the cables and the guidelines?

BrandNew said:
Well, yeah it does. I may not like the fact that they aren't doing them, but they're getting so much in that they don't see the point on doing the midnight launches. I don't know, I just wanted one as early as possible.
thats a whole bunch a hoo hah.. i would double check on that

Sanjuro

Is there anyway of going about finding out what area's the kisoks are located at the moment? My Nintendo rep is MIA and our store never gets anything asap.

Soybean

This was originally written for friends, so excuse the unnecessary explanations:

I headed out towards a nearby EB Games during lunch, looking for a Wii-osk. Score! I handed over my driver’s license as collateral, and got the Wii-mote.

It’s small, but shiny and well-designed. I originally had mixed thoughts about Excite Truck, but I can now say it’s pretty fun. The Wii-mote works great. You steer by tilting, and the controller registers those tilts very accurately. When you hit a token on the road, the “collect” sound comes out of the Wii-mote’s speaker. The sound quality out of the speaker is pretty poor, but not a big deal. The controller rumble is very weak. Weaker than Gamecube’s, if you can believe it. Still, if you like rumble force-feedback, it’s not terrible. It’s just not all that convincing when it’s so weak.

Screenshots of Excite Truck are pretty bad, but in motion it looks better. Barely above Gamecube, though. Racing is simple, but the dynamically transforming land is pretty cool. It’s fast-paced and crazy, which I like. It’s definitely an arcade racer. The music is annoying, so I hope the rumors of being able to stream music off an SD card are true. I wasn’t going to get this, but now I think I’ll put it on the X-mas list.

I then hit the Home button to try out the Wii interface. As you know, the controller isn’t a direct pointer in the menus, it’s relative. But it works quite well. Every time you float the cursor over one of the icons for a channel, the controller rumbles a bit. I’m not sure if I like it, but I’m sure it’s something you can turn off. I didn’t spend much time in the menus, because the EB guy looked at me disapprovingly.

In short: the Wii-mote rules. I’m so sold on this system, it’s not even funny. 2 more weeks, dudes and dudettes.

gameboya

So Wii must not be a kiddie console because you NEED a CC or a legit ID!

Kiddies am cry!

Nintendo now not teh kiddie?

argon

My local GS has nothing.. It's almost like the Wii doesn't exist.. No Wii kiosks, not even a poster from what I could tell.. although there's a big PS3 one. C'mon Nintendo, get with it!

I visited one GS today (the newest one in town) and all they had was a busted GCN kiosk and a PS2 demo station that was just not working. The guy followed me around trying to get me to trade in games... I've never had an employee follow me around so much talking to me when I didn't initiate. Guess the guy was lonely. The other EB/GS were too out of the way from where I was so I didn't bother to check any others. Maybe later.

Neko Tsukimi said:
I visited one GS today (the newest one in town) and all they had was a busted GCN kiosk and a PS2 demo station that was just not working. The guy followed me around trying to get me to trade in games... I've never had an employee follow me around so much talking to me when I didn't initiate. Guess the guy was lonely. The other EB/GS were too out of the way from where I was so I didn't bother to check any others. Maybe later.

Aren't you a girl? Going into a game store probably was your first mistake ;p

Hero

Neko Tsukimi said:

Aren't you a girl? Maybe he was trying to FHUTA. Or I guess FYUTA would make more sense.

Also, there's confirmation that it's only Excite Truck in the Wii demo kiosk? If so, that's the most retarded thing ever. I don't think there would've been that much effort to put a Wii Sports demo in there as well, as..hm..I don't know, they're using that to sell with the system? I would think that Wii Sports would show off the Wii remote better than Excite Truck, but I haven't played it yet so I can't say for certain.

Neko Tsukimi said:
o_O Ahhh, so that's what happens when you go into a game store when there's only one guy working the store... I guess I'll go back to online shopping for my games.

Yeah unless you have someone in tow they tend to oogle at the fact you have boobs and game at the same time.

At least they do around here anyway.

pictures of my trip to GameStop: Hawthorn Mall - Vernon Hills, IL. Apparently the only store in Illinois with a working, playable Wii setup. clerk said Nintendo likes this store. lucky me it was only a 20 minute drive.

clerk was nervous about me taking pictures for whatever reason, i even had an old Hi8 camcorder with me that i wanted to plug to an outlet (no batteries with me) so I could shoot some quality video, but he said no sorry, 'security would have a field day' and i could get in trouble.

so i had to settle for some blah 3 megapixel digital camera pictures.

gamestop671x503er1.jpg

wiiconsole503x671lu0.jpg

wiimote671x503qb6.jpg

wiiposter503x671bi0.jpg

wiiaction671x503ky9.jpg

wiiatiedited671x503ig5.jpg

(note the ATI logo, no AMD logo !)

wiiconsole2671x503jf6.jpg

wiipeople671x503zr0.jpg

wiipeople2503x671ts0.jpg

excitetruck671x503ke9.jpg

wiiplay671x503vu5.jpg