• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Kiosks Now at GS/EB, playable this weekend

bumpkin

TheIkariWarrior said:
pictures of my trip to GameStop: Hawthorn Mall - Vernon Hills, IL. Apparently the only store in Illinois with a working, playable Wii setup. clerk said Nintendo likes this store. lucky me it was only a 20 minute drive.

clerk was nervous about me taking pictures for whatever reason, i even had a camcorder with me that i wanted to plug in but he said 'security would have a field day'

gamestop671x503er1.jpg

wiiconsole503x671lu0.jpg

wiimote671x503qb6.jpg

wiiposter503x671bi0.jpg

wiiaction671x503ky9.jpg
My local EB doesn't have a demo Wii, so to you, I say this:

middle%20finger.gif

You lucky ****er. :lol

NintendoGal said:
The same reason I pulled the videos from my site. Employees can get fired for that because apparently it's against store policy to allow any forms of video/photo.

dang. GS needs to get rid of their dumb store policy then.

scola said:
You totally just got that guy fired.... but that face he's making confirms that he deserved it

that was not the guy working there at the time actually. I dunno who he was, just another employee 'off duty' not the one in charge of let people play Wii.

atomsk

Party Pooper
TheIkariWarrior said:
pictures of my trip to GameStop: Hawthorn Mall - Vernon Hills, IL. Apparently the only store in Illinois with a working, playable Wii setup. clerk said Nintendo likes this store. lucky me it was only a 20 minute drive.

well that sucks. i'm gonna call the 3 around here (peoria, pekin, washington) and see if they've got anything yet. washington was saying monday last week. so who knows

TheIkariWarrior said:
that was not the guy working there at the time actually. I dunno who he was, just another employee 'off duty' not the one in charge of let people play Wii.
still doesnt matter.. pics of stores aren't allowed unless given consent.. and hes wearing his badge =/

Zepking said:
still doesnt matter.. pics of stores aren't allowed unless given consent.. and hes wearing his badge =/

thing is, he said, go ahead so he gave concent. but after awhile he said, ok don't take anymore, so i stopped.

Hmm, I've never once been hassled for taking pictures/video inside an EB/GS... well, mind you I do it semi-stealthly with my cellphone...

Anyway... if it weren't raining... I'd prolly go hit up another EB/GS to look for kiosk... But then again, I might get stuck in the store alone again.

andthebeatgoeson

Went to the local GS to preorder Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin and they had their Wii up but not running. Didn't ask since they don't have a clue about the preorder Castlevania goodness.

threeball

Banned
I've gone back to my Gamestop twice already to play more Wii and Excite Truck. It helps me pass the days faster and tone down my excitement level.

Zepking said:
Its not the managers decision to give consent.. Its coprorates.

*shrug* I went there, played by the rules as far as playing wii. handed over my ID. used the strap, etc. I took pictures of the Wii Kiosk, console, controler, people playing, poster. Wii game section, etc. dunno what the deal is. this isnt Nazi Germany. nobody said i couldn't take pictures, but it was a no-no as far as using my camcorder. I didn't have any problem, i stopped taking picturs when i was told to.

when other stores get Wii Kiosks im gonna shoot some video footage and try to post it.

TheIkariWarrior said:
*shrug* I went there, played by the rules as far as playing wii. handed over my ID. used the strap, etc. I took pictures of the Wii Kiosk, console, controler, people playing, poster. Wii game section, etc. dunno what the deal is. this isnt Nazi Germany. nobody said i couldn't take pictures, but it was a no-no as far as using my camcorder. I didn't have any problem, i stopped taking picturs when i was told to.

when other stores get Wii Kiosks im gonna shoot some video footage and try to post it.
I'm not drilling you.. I'm just saying the associate isn't very smart for allowing his pic etc.. Read my posts..

ManaByte

Gold Member
Zepking said:
I'm not drilling you.. I'm just saying the associate isn't very smart for allowing his pic etc.. Read my posts..

C'mon. You know you want to get the dude fired. You probably giggle like a school girl every time you do it.

trilobyte

My local Gamestop and Target didn't have it yet. But interestingly enough, Target had the PS3 controller out but no running machine.

TiVo

I think everyone should get down to your local EB that has a Wii kiosk and make some wacky Mii's including your semblance. Maybe evertime the Nin rep updates the kiosk the Mii's might make their rounds in different locations. Let's get them Michael Jackson Mii's everywhere possible.

NotWii

Banned
I think ExciteTruck is a terrible standalone showcase of the Wii's abilities.

Nintendo shoulda made a demo disk with wii sports, excitetruck and zelda for kiosks.

Wii said:
I think ExciteTruck is a terrible standalone showcase of the Wii's abilities.

Nintendo shoulda made a demo disk with wii sports, excitetruck and zelda for kiosks.
Word. I played it at my local GS and no one really said anything about the controls. Strangely enough, one guy said "That looks pretty good. I thought it would look horrible." I don't know why a demo disk was not created, especially one with a freaking FPS.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
wiipeople2503x671ts0.jpg

This is so great in so many ways, its unbelievable.

MrDaravon

TheIkariWarrior said:
dang. GS needs to get rid of their dumb store policy then.

To be fair I've never worked ANYWHERE that allowed you to do photos/video inside. In fact most places I've worked retail have had specific training about how to handle that.

psjohnson

First the good: Excite Truck was pretty cool. Very fast paced. The somewhat weak graphics didn't bug me too much and the game was exciting.

The bad: After 2 minutes I was annoyed having to waive me arm/toggle my wrist in order to navigate the OS. Rediculous. That is going to get old really quickly...

StRaNgE

Banned
saw a Wii today.

1st impression when i finally got the guy to give me the wiimote (he said only TX id and i have a cali one, so i had him hold my whole wallet to get it)

holy hell that wiimote is small and comfortable as can be.

so the game was excite truck, not sure why that was the one. wii sports seemed the perfect choice. but oh well.

so at 1st i would over correct in turning. slammin into trees and such.

after about 45 seconds it became easier and easier.

i back out of the game to the channels and made a mii.

i am no so glad they did not make it a point and shoot at the screen set up. this is so so much better then having to hold my arm out and point.

i can imagine laying back on the couch and playing with one hand layed by my side relaxed. holy crap it is such a good thing and the whole menu worked so well.

if you get the chance back out of the game and mess around navigating channels

StRaNgE

Banned
psjohnson said:
First the good: Excite Truck was pretty cool. Very fast paced. The somewhat weak graphics didn't bug me too much and the game was exciting.

The bad: After 2 minutes I was annoyed having to waive me arm/toggle my wrist in order to navigate the OS. Rediculous. That is going to get old really quickly...

u were doing it wrong, there is no need to even lift your arm away from your side even an inch when navigating the menus.

was super accurate too. it is not a pointing device.

I tried out the wii yesterday at a so-cal gamestop. the controller really is tiny, and fits perfectly in your hand. as a cursor controller it felt responsive and intuitive to use. the audio feedback is cool, and the "rumble" when you land the cursor on a button feels amazing. unfortunately, creating a "mii" was the most fun I could have with it [looks for an einstein named "booger" at sunset & western] as ExciteTruck really blows. the game is floaty and controls like it's on rails. I could win races, but never felt like I was really in control as the truck never really feels like it's gripping the ground. once you accelerate, it feels like you're channeled down the narrow track almost no matter what you do, like the slippery driving equivalent of auto-aim in an fps. I don't know if that makes sense, but it's bad. in my 10-15 minutes of playing around, I never found it intuitive, and never really "got" it. the graphics are mediocre, it looks like an average cube game, and the situation was made worse by it being blown up on an hdtv.

anyway, hopefully they'll get some better demos in soon. the functionality of the controller seems exciting when you're using the console interface, they just need to swap out crappy Excite Truck with Zelda or something that really shows it off.

Dammit. My local Gamestop still doesn't have a Wii kiosk. -_-, They said they were going to have it on monday... it's wednesday now, and they still don't have it...

woxel1

I got to play the Wii, so here are some quick impressions. The controller is small - really small! But it fits perfectly in the hand. Hitting up on the D-pad isn't as difficult as I'd imagined. Naturally my arms fell into place for the optimal "feel." The controls on all the games I played are quite sensitive, so you're only going to get tired if you're (incorrectly) over exerting yourself.

Wii Sports: Great pick-up and play. Wii Tennis is going to be great with four people.
Monkey Ball: Only played the main mode, nice stage variety and the controls are interesting - it took a bit to get used to it.
Rayman - Great sense of humor, too many menus to navigate. I want to try out all the games very badly now.
Excite Truck - The game is as fun as it's ugly to look at. Or maybe it was just the cable hookup (I hope). Every Wii game from a distance looked amazing, but upon further inspection didn't look too hot.

I can't wait for this system. Out of the gate the games are looking good, I'm confident multiplayer is going to be a blast, and the online factor makes the Wii xtra special. Final Conclusion: Yay!

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
psjohnson said:

Let me guess, you had your arm outstretched at the screen pointing as if you were holding a gun. Your fault, not wii's.

Wii Kiosks were up and running at the 4 GS and EB stores i visited today. everyone was playing and impressions other people had were good. everyone was like WTF over the price of PS3 and were asking, well how much is Wii, and eyes lit up when they heard only $250 :)

bridegur

I played Excite Truck today, and was actually really disappointed. I wasn't expecting a new Wave Race, but I thought it would be a good time. Graphically it looked terrible, and the new control scheme just didn't work as well as I thought it would. For some reason I felt very disconnected from the game, and it's in no way easy to pick up and play.

On the other hand, I tried Motorstorm the other day, which looked decent and seemed to make better use of motion control. If I didn't need the money, I'd keep my preordered PS3. I'm sure other Wii games will work very well with the control, but Nintendo needs to demo another game- Excite Truck is a let down.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
Im also in awe how Nintendo can choose to demo excite truck over wii sports. Certainly does NOT fit their goal of enticing new players. Noone who isnt interested in gaming in the 1st place is going to give excite truck a 2nd look.

woxel1 said:
I'm confident multiplayer is going to be a blast, and the online factor makes the Wii xtra special. Final Conclusion: Yay!

What do you mean online? Nintendo doesn't seem quite in a hurry to get the online thing going (checking the weather online isn't really important to gamers, one would think).

Finally ventured into another Gamestop today (it was unusually packed O_O so I wasn't alone in the store with the salesperson) and tried out the Wii. No one had any real intrest in it so I walked over to the clerk and traded in my ID for the Wiimote (at least he cared enough to explain how it works... but I told him to save his breath and just give me the Wiimote in my ultimate geeked-out moment) and took a go at it. I started fooling around in the Wii menu and people began flocking around me going "OMG! What's that? Oh that's so cute! How much is it? When does it come out? Oh make her have freckles!" The last of which prompted the guy behind the counter to say "PLEASE don't make a Mii!" and there was a round of "Awwwwww" from the crowd around me.

So, I spent much of my Excite Truck time playing selling people Wii... They wouldn't shut up... Eventually, they all disappeared and I finally got to play without crashing into a tree or something.

Meh. It was everything I expected... But I got used to the controls quickly so it was pretty fun. Wouldn't buy it. I spent the rest of the time just fondling the Wiimote before trading it back in for my ID.

One of my peeves while I was in the menu for the few moments I was in was how often I got out of sight of the sensor bar. Maybe I'm just too short.

But yeah, my day of getting Wii can't come soon enough.

TiVo

How many people created their Mii on the kiosks. I did and I saved it to the Wii-Mote. Hopefully it will travel and populate others including your Wii's

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
You know I'm kinda glad my EB doesn't have a Wii demo. My day one experience will be completely pure.

... lucky ****ers

Top Bottom