• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Motion+ news and discussion thread (rd 06/08/09 $19.99, WSR's bundle $49.99)

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Sadist said:
One thing I don't get: will Nintendo be pushing the Wii Motion Plus in combination with some promotion for Grand Slam Tennis, Virtua Tennis 2009 and Tiger Woods '10?
Maybe thats the deal, EA gets in on the ground floor (and gets to release their games in a timely manner) and in return they have to push motion+ like crazy, saving Nintendo the advertising money.

markatisu

Sadist said:
One thing I don't get: will Nintendo be pushing the Wii Motion Plus in combination with some promotion for Grand Slam Tennis, Virtua Tennis 2009 and Tiger Woods '10?

Well it will be at least some cross promotion with Grand Slam Tennis because that is getting an official M+ Bundle, at least according to retail SKU's

I would imagine Tiger Woods does not need any push, by now it has had 3 versions with a VERY dedicated fan base who is going to get the game regardless and probably eat up the fact M+ is available.

Davey Cakes

Aaron Strife said:
Motion+ is like the Wii's second launch.
Yeah, pretty much.

I've heard a lot of complaints about how this tech was what the Wiimote should have included in the first place. But honestly, I think the high number of quick cash-in games with "waggle" have blinded people to the good that's been done with the controller. Really, the pointer and the tilt (not waggle) functions alone have already been put to good use. Now that MotionPlus is almost upon us, it looks like we'll be entering a time where devs can really start being creative and pushing the motion-control boundary. The first couple of years of Wii have only set the foundation.

frankie_baby said:
but has it actually been confirmed that wii sports resort will only work with motion+ ? i see no reason they couldn't include a control system for remotes without motion+
From the PR:
Wii Sports Resort takes the inclusive, fun and intuitive controls of the original Wii Sports to the next level, introducing a whole new set of entertaining and physically immersive activities. With the deep control enhancements of Wii MotionPlus, veteran Wii users and newcomers alike can enjoy unprecedented gaming precision as they cruise on a water scooter, duel with swords, throw a Frisbee® and much more. Wii Sports Resort and Wii MotionPlus will be offered together at an MSRP of $49.99.
Seems to be pretty much exclusive to me.

soldat7 said:
23u75uh.jpg
Looks to me like you have the option to push it out of the condom based on the picture so hopefully that won't be necessary.

That's got to be the most ridiculous accessory packshot I've ever seen. Looks like some sort of Elizabethan era Wiimote cosplay.

jjasper said:
That will suck if true cause it will make Wii Sports Resort cost $110 for a lot of people.

"Bomberman" back on the Turbografx cost more than that (game + multitap + four additional controllers). Of course, nobody considered it that way.

swerve

jjasper said:
That will suck if true cause it will make Wii Sports Resort cost $110 for a lot of people.

No, it costs 49.99 for *everyone*. People have the option to spend more on their Wii system if they want to.

A few more M+ games come out with bundles, and before long you have a bunch of the things. By Christmas time, Wii-Remote-Plus goes on sale, offering built in M+. Doesn't seem so horrific when you don't instantly jump to negative conclusions.

Gwanatu T

Day 1 on Wii Sports Resort. Glad about the price too, I didn't buy a balance board because it's too bloody expensive, this is just right.

jjasper

JoshuaJSlone said:
In the same way that Wii Sports itself cost $390.

And if it is as fun as Wii Sports was then I am sure it won't be a problem from people. Just the initial shock from some people when they get home only to figure out their whole family can't play without the strap on. Luckily for it will only cost me $20 extra for my wife and me.

It is cool that they aren't charging extra for the game + strap on though.

Aaron Strife said:
Oh god I actually LOLed for like 3 mins!

Right click-save!
jjasper said:
And if it is as fun as Wii Sports was then I am sure it won't be a problem from people. Just the initial shock from some people when they get home only to figure out their whole family can't play without the strap on. Luckily for it will only cost me $20 extra for my wife and me.

It is cool that they aren't charging extra for the game + strap on though.
I think Nintendo learns from these kinds of things. From people throwing their Wiimotes causeing Nintendo to give out free thicker straps followed by free rubbers (I actually like the thing, my Wiimote gets dirty from my hands no matter how much I wash them).

I remember something about how some people were buying Wii Fit and didn't know you needed a Wii to play it. I think Nintendo will try to make it clear with their ads that you need M+ to play this.

Oh, and I also think that GST will have a M+ bundle but they wont say that now cause that would lower sells when it's first released (Why buy a $50 game and a $20 M+ plug in when you can buy a $60 game that comes with it?).

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
poppabk said:
This is the price direct from the manufacturer. Sure they will get a discount for buying wholesale quantities, but after packaging, manufacture, shipping, retail mark-up you really think they are going to be making a significant profit?

YES :).

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
kinosama said:
Is the €49.99 European price confirmed or just speculation from the OP? Wii games usually cost €60.
Wii games published by Nintendo are usually €49.99.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
kinosama said:
Is the €49.99 European price confirmed or just speculation from the OP? Wii games usually cost €60.

Erm no, first party games never cost more than 50 € - only exception was zelda:tp at launch and wiifit.

Antagon

If I understand this image right:
gaming-block-diagram.jpg

Motion+ is using both a IDG-650 and a ISZ-650 gyroscope for Wii Motion+. The IDG-650 itself is 40$, the price for the ISZ-650 isn't available, but it would put it at 50-60$ if I have to make a quick guess. Can't say that Motion+ is a bad deal.

Balb

Yeesh, buying Wii controllers will be even more exensive:

Wii Remote $40
Nunchuck $20
Wii Motion+ $20

Lame.

swerve

Balb said:
Yeesh, buying Wii controllers will be even more exensive:

Wii Remote $40
Nunchuck $20
Wii Motion+ $20

Lame.

Value is a strange thing. People buy lame, pointless golf-club add-ons, light saber add-ons, balance board covers... I have *no idea* why these people do that, yet I have no problem justifying the cost of M+.

All expenses depend on how valuable you consider the thing you're buying, obviously. To me, enhanced motion controls are highly valuable.

For someone like me, I'll get one m+ with Grand Slam Tennis, and then one a month later with Wii Sports Resort. It's a *very* sweet deal.

If I'm enjoying GST enough with friends, I'll buy a standalone M+ before WSR comes out.

Sadist

Still, its very expensive. I want the motion plus as well and I see the advantages, but $ 80 dollars is a lot of money. Us Euro folk will have to pay € 19,99 for it (speculation) so that makes € 80 for us as well. Thats $ 106 at this moment for a controller.

gkryhewy

Nintendo seems to have done okay with $60 controllers (omg SEVENTY FIVE DOLLARS if you buy a wii wheel). The incremental cost is only 20 bucks.

Linkup

megashock5 said:
I just wish we could get some info on what is in WSR other than jet skis, swords, and frisbee.

Pretty good chance WSR and M+ will be the focus of E3 so.... you'll find out about a few days before release!

[Nintex]

The Motion Plus is packed in with the Wii Remote and with some other third party games as well. I don't think it's price will be the biggest problem, more the ammount of games that'll support it. It seems they're going to split their userbase in half, just like the N64 expansion pack and other shit they tried, I sure hope this won't backfire. You'll probably need this to play certain games in the future and not every game will have a bundle.

[Nintex] said:
The Motion Plus is packed in with the Wii Remote and with some other third party games as well. I don't think it's price will be the biggest problem, more the ammount of games that'll support it. It seems they're going to split their userbase in half, just like the N64 expansion pack and other shit they tried, I sure hope this won't backfire. You'll probably need this to play certain games in the future and not every game will have a bundle.

If a game requires it, they could always bundle the accessory with the software if the publisher feels that there aren't enough motionplus' out there. Most people who don't have one would feel like they're getting a deal!

swerve

Sadist said:
Still, its very expensive. I want the motion plus as well and I see the advantages, but $ 80 dollars is a lot of money. Us Euro folk will have to pay € 19,99 for it (speculation) so that makes € 80 for us as well. Thats $ 106 at this moment for a controller.

In practical terms, what does it mean to you? Are you going to buy two new wii remotes, nunchucks, and motion+ add-ons? We don't know of any games which allow more than two player simultaneously yet.

The absolute most expensive case is someone who buys a wii in 2 months, doesn't want Wii Sports Resort but does want Grand Slam Tennis for its two player mode.

This means they buy the GST bundle (so m+ is $10 effectively) so they've got the game and one complete controller. They've spent $310. They need to buy another controller.
Total: $390

Which is just $30 more than if they wanted the same set-up without Motion Plus.

swerve

[Nintex] said:
It seems they're going to split their userbase in half, just like the N64 expansion pack and other shit they tried

How badly did the balance board hurt Wii games or the Wii marketplace?

There's no split, because every Wii can have M+ plugged into it. It's only $20. It's cheaper than another Wii remote.

Make good M+ games, people will buy those games. They will pay $10-$20 extra for those games. There's no split. This isn't what a split market is.

Somnid

I can see people a little upset about the cost but overall it seems worth it. Most people should have guessed would cost about $20. The Wiimote is certainly an expensive device but it's on the bleeding edge of human interface devices and there's a lot of stuff packed into that little remote.

Balb

Somnid said:
I can see people a little upset about the cost but overall it seems worth it. Most people should have guessed would cost about $20. The Wiimote is certainly an expensive device but it's on the bleeding edge of human interface devices and there's a lot of stuff packed into that little remote.

If there was so much packed into the Wii Remote we wouldn't have to pay $40 extra to get the full experience per controller.

Somnid said:

wasn't there an article in Fortune magazine that revealed and broke down the cost of the wiimote to $10? The motion+ definitely seems like a better deal than the nunchuk at $20 based on those InvenSense prices. Plus its only $10 if you buy it with a a game. Pricing seems very attractive to me.

edit: found a link to that Fortune thing: click

edit 2: it seems that link skips over some parts of the remote like the IR camera, but I doubt it'd cost substantially more.

Mrbob

Wow, Nintendo is offering an 80 dollar controller and they will sell millions. Amazing.

I wish it was bundled with Grand Slam Tennis. :/

jett said:
:lol at the shell. Could it be any uglier?

I gotta tell you, when you buy a new Wiimote with the jacket, it really looks quite good. It's just that, after hours and hours of play, the jacket becomes discolored. If that didn't happen, I wouldn't hesitate in putting down the jacket-haters.

donny2112

$20 is too much, in my opinion. $10 would've been perfect. Hopefully they integrate this into a new Wiimote and either keep the price at $40 or raise it to $50. I'll be buying Wii Sports Resort, but for another Motion+ attachment, I'll be looking at picking up a game I want that includes it for $10 more. In fact, that's probably why Nintendo priced the peripheral at $20. They want buyers to purchase more Motion+ attachments by purchasing a game that uses it. Reward the third-parties and encourage them to make more games that work with the attachment. :)

Balb

dannie said:
single wii wheel cost USD 15.99,and it just a plastics

how can a gyroscope motion plus USD19.99 expensive?

I don't know how that makes the M+ seem cheap. All it does is make the wheel look incredibly overpriced.

Linkup

Mrbob said:
Wow, Nintendo is offering an 80 dollar controller and they will sell millions. Amazing.

I wish it was bundled with Grand Slam Tennis. :/

thought it was? WRS and GST = two M+?

Top Bottom