• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Motion+ news and discussion thread (rd 06/08/09 $19.99, WSR's bundle $49.99)

paparazzo

donny2112 said:
$20 is too much, in my opinion. $10 would've been perfect. Hopefully they integrate this into a new Wiimote and either keep the price at $40 or raise it to $50. I'll be buying Wii Sports Resort, but for another Motion+ attachment, I'll be looking at picking up a game I want that includes it for $10 more. In fact, that's probably why Nintendo priced the peripheral at $20. They want buyers to purchase more Motion+ attachments by purchasing a game that uses it. Reward the third-parties and encourage them to make more games that work with the attachment. :)
Agreed. Doesn't the remote itself cost $20? This is such BS milking but I guess Nintendo hasn't made enough money from the Wii yet. *rolls eyes*

A $20 thingamajig getting support from the start is better than the Zapper or Board.

I wonder if some of the more hardcore things will be on WiiWare this year. You can afford to cater to the M+ exclusively and we can get some interesting stuff there.

Pyrokai

Okay, so just for the record, can you guys answer my quick questions?

1. In the US, what games is this being bundled with, and what ones that are not, that support the M+ ?

2. I see it is packaged with a Wii Remote condom. It can be removed from this, right? Do the bundles (Resort) come with the condom or just the M+ if they are not fused?

3. Do these bundled games (except Wii Sports Resort, which I know is $49.99) cost extra with the M+?

I think that about does it. I can seem to find a solidified answer in this thread :p

donny2112

jett said:
That's called getting ripped off.

Especially since the official Nintendo wheel costs $9.99.

Pyrokai said:
Okay, so just for the record, can you guys answer my quick questions?

Don't take this as gospel, but this is my understanding.

Pyrokai said:
1. In the US, what games is this being bundled with, and what ones that are not, that support the M+ ?

Wii Sports Resort - Yes
Grand Slam Tennis - Optional bundle
Tiger Woods 10 - Optional bundle
Virtua Tennis - Not bundled

Pyrokai said:
2. I see it is packaged with a Wii Remote condom. It can be removed from this, right? Do the bundles (Resort) come with the condom or just the M+ if they are not fused?

Probably all attachments will come with the condom, but I believe you can cut it off.

Pyrokai said:
3. Do these bundled games (except Wii Sports Resort, which I know is $49.99) cost extra with the M+?

Should be $10 extra.

Eteric Rice

donny2112 said:
$20 is too much, in my opinion. $10 would've been perfect. Hopefully they integrate this into a new Wiimote and either keep the price at $40 or raise it to $50. I'll be buying Wii Sports Resort, but for another Motion+ attachment, I'll be looking at picking up a game I want that includes it for $10 more. In fact, that's probably why Nintendo priced the peripheral at $20. They want buyers to purchase more Motion+ attachments by purchasing a game that uses it. Reward the third-parties and encourage them to make more games that work with the attachment. :)

Agreed, hell $14.99 would have been better. I guess they figure that most people won't realize that one controller is going to cost you like $80.

Then you have to buy a classic controller if you like SNES - N64 games.

Someone needs to make a fucking classic controller that doesn't require the Wii-mote.

Balb said:
I don't know how that makes the M+ seem cheap. All it does is make the wheel look incredibly overpriced.
Well, it could show that M+ is at a OK price to anyone who was willing to throw down the money for a Wii Wheel or Zapper.

More people with M+ is a good thing!:D

Linkup

The Skater said:
Agreed. Doesn't the remote itself cost $20? This is such BS milking but I guess Nintendo hasn't made enough money from the Wii yet. *rolls eyes*

When exactly where they supposed to stop making money?

birdchili

i wonder if the location of the gyroscopes in the remote-plus-m+ precludes creating a functionally identical remote that contains the m+ stuff in a form factor that's the same as the original remote...

someone's going to use this for not-sports games soon i hope...

donny2112

Eteric Rice said:
Someone needs to make a ... classic controller that doesn't require the Wii-mote.

Already there.

31DDR8AEC3L._AA280_.jpg

dannie

Balb said:
I don't know how that makes the M+ seem cheap. All it does is make the wheel look incredibly overpriced.
yeah..wheel is overprice :lol
i think the wii motion plus price is reasonable~not cheap

Eteric Rice said:
Someone needs to make a fucking classic controller that doesn't require the Wii-mote.
It would just fucking kick ass if Classic Controller Pro or whatever worked with GameCube titles. The WaveBird is out of stock and the GameCube controller cord is only like three feet, which is stupid.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
birdchili said:
i wonder if the location of the gyroscopes in the remote-plus-m+ precludes creating a functionally identical remote that contains the m+ stuff in a form factor that's the same as the original remote...

someone's going to use this for not-sports games soon i hope...
Compatibility issues will most likely prevent Motion+ from ever being built into the controller this generation. The new controller would have to be compatible with games designed for the old remote and games designed for the Motion+ Accessory. If you start moving around components, you start altering axis and it's very unlikely that everything will function the same. Besides, Nintendo's accessory model has been working wonderfully... they benefit nothing from changing it.

The most we should expect is adding the Motion+ accessory into the console package.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
So, in the end was Cube Revolution right or not?

CubeRevolution said:
Just received the confirmation:

Grand Slam Tennis - 2.07.2009 - 49,99 Euro

Grand Slam Tennis Bundle with Wii Motion Plus - 2.07.2009 - 59,99 Euro

??

Aaron Strife said:
It would just fucking kick ass if Classic Controller Pro or whatever worked with GameCube titles.

It doesn't.

Balb said:
Yeesh, buying Wii controllers will be even more exensive:

Wii Remote $40
Nunchuck $20
Wii Motion+ $20

Lame.
Compared to the shockaxis (€ 60) it's great value. Controllers in general are too expensive though, I agree with that.

Caesar III said:
For all the jacket haters:
http://www.golem.de/0904/66464.html sorry, it is german, but there you can see it high res without the jacket.

Great news for me. I hate the jackets.
That's a pic of the old M+.

jett said:
:lol at the shell. Could it be any uglier?
It's not a shell, it looks the same as the Wii jackets, which have been bundled with every WiiMote for a long time now.

pakkit

Banned
swerve said:
Here are some other Wii peripherals which cost around $20:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001BQSC9I/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It's like I AM Derek Stiles. , March 14, 2009
By Ryan Long
Fun: * * * * *
I always thought Trauma Center was fun and all, but WAY too unrealistic. I mean, slowing time? Super bugs bent on destroying the world? BOOOORING!
But when I started playing with the Wii Surgical Kit I was so emerged in the world of Trauma Center, I could practically hear the sounds of ambulance sirens and drips of interferon in the background.
The syringe looks and feels like a true heroin addicts best friend. Feeling the plunger press down at a realistic rate put me IN the video game. Using the scalpel attachment... that was, like... I mean, I think I actually FELT blood squirt up at me.
My one complaint, though, were the forceps. I just couldn't grip shards of glass well enough with those. They weren't nearly as realistic feeling as the radar scope felt.
Now I must admit, I'm not a doctor. In fact- I have never even played one on TV. But I do know that after playing Trauma Center with the Wii Surgical Kit, I do feel like I've just gone through eight years of medical school.
:lol

Ashhong

hm, super late to this, but is the M+ attached to the condom it comes with? Matt C vindicated? either way he was pretty close, gaf really likes to tear him a new one every chance they get...

plank

I don't understand why are people complaining about the price of the M+ isn't it more expensive to buy the gyro meter alone?

[Nintex] said:
You know what worries me, we haven't seen a single picture of the Motion Plus+Nunchuk.

So? It was confirmed that the nunchuk would connect through the M+ extension, and there doesn't seem to be any good reason to drop that.

Talyn

Linkup said:
When exactly where they supposed to stop making money?
The day the Wii was released and failed so hard it drove them into bankruptcy, forcing them to whore themselves out to Microsoft and Sony. That this didn't happen has left some people so, so bitter about everything that is happening this gen. :lol

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
The Skater said:
You have no idea what you are talking about.

The remote itself is 40 dollars.

The motion plus costs 20, which is the same price as the nunchuk or the classic controller, which are also incidentally controller parts that plug into the wii remote. It's Nintendo's standard price for Wii remote add-ons that actually DO something.

pakkit

Banned
If Nintendo could release a Wiimote + Nunchuk bundle or Wiimote + WiiMotion+ bundle for 50 dollars, a lot of frustration would be quelled.

[Nintex]

pakkit said:
If Nintendo could release a Wiimote + Nunchuk bundle or Wiimote + WiiMotion+ bundle for 50 dollars, a lot of frustration would be quelled.
Do I smell a Wii Play+ coming up... yes, yes I do..

stewacide

Between the Wiimote, nunchuck, and now Motion+, it's ruinously expensive to purchase additional controllers. I wish Nintendo would address this with a discounted bundle, but of course they won't.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I'd complain more about peripheral pricing if you actually needed everything all at once. As it stands, single-player focused games usually use the nunchuck attachment and multiplayer-focused games usually just use the wii-remote by itself.

I've gotten by completely fine just having two nunchucks, and I've barely ever needed the other one.

Now, before someone calls me an apologist, or something, I agree this stuff should be cheaper (just like how everything should be cheaper) and I wish Nintendo would have included two remotes with the console. But oh well.

Vinci

Danish
donny2112 said:

It's definitely what I'm doing. No chance in hell of me buying it separately.

d+pad

[Nintex] said:
Do I smell a Wii Play+ coming up... yes, yes I do..

I know this isn't going to happen anytime soon, but it would be nice if you could smell a Wii Sports+ coming soon, too. (And, no, I'm not talking about Wii Sports Resort.) I mean, really, Nintendo...

birdchili

this is definitely wait-and-see for me. none of the announced games has a hope of convincing me unless wsr contains more brilliance than i'm expecting (my ws copy almost never hits the disc slot). in any case, wsr would almost certainly be a 2xm+ situation, making it a $70 game...

i'd be a lot more optimistic if we'd actually seen more really excellent games that leverage the current pointer technology (which seems a natural fit for so many *already existing* genres and doesn't have a requirement for a hardware-boost for precision).

finger's crossed (again) (and still).

[Nintex]

d+pad said:
I know this isn't going to happen anytime soon, but it would be nice if you could smell a Wii Sports+ coming soon, too. (And, no, I'm not talking about Wii Sports Resort.) I mean, really, Nintendo...
Wii Sports Resort has about 10 games and we've only seen 3(4 if we count the E3 2006 airplane demo) so there could be more Sports events on there, like an enhanced version of Tennis or Bowling?

Vinci

Danish
[Nintex] said:
Wii Sports Resort has about 10 games and we've only seen 3(4 if we count the E3 2006 airplane demo) so there could be more Sports events on there, like an enhanced version of Tennis or Bowling?

You go bowling often when you go to the islands? ;)

pakkit

Banned
[Nintex] said:
I think Wii Sports Resort was pared down to 8 games? I could have just lied to you, right now, though.

Bowling seems unlikely, but some sort of racket game would be nice. Badminton! Croquet!

Mrbob said:
It's hardly shocking anymore.

gkryhewy

Holy crap -- WiiSports Resort is already the number 2 seller on Amazon's video game charts, behind only WiiFit and AHEAD of the Wii.

And they don't even have box art yet. Wow.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Nintendo to Eurogamer:

"No plans to retrofit Motion Plus"

Nintendo has told Eurogamer there are "no plans" to retro-actively fit Wii MotionPlus capabilities to existing games, keeping the new and optional features instead for specifically designed games.

"Wii MotionPlus accessory is only for games that are designed to make use of its abilities. Wii MotionPlus is an optional accessory for developers and players who want to further refine their game experience," a spokesperson for Nintendo told us. "There are currently no plans to make it compatible with existing non-Wii Motion Plus enabled titles."

The Nintendo spokesperson added that Wii will continue to support games which work with the original Wiimote powers. These will behave no differently when played using the clip-on MotionPlus accessory.

"The Wii Remote pioneered a revolution in video games and made this pastime accessible to millions of new gamers. This technology is still relevant and compelling," said the spokesperson.

Wii MotionPlus adds a further three degrees of motion-sensing capability to the Wiimote, producing quite staggering results. Serve and volley to our hands-on impressions of Virtua Tennis 2009 - one of the first third-party titles to support WMP - to find out why.

Wii MotionPlus launches in Europe on 12th June. One MotionPlus peripheral will also be bundled with each copy of Wii Sports Resort, which goes on sale from 24th July.

bdouble

Who thought they would retro actively go back and put motion plus into old games? Thats plain ridiculous. So far there have been very few games that use the standard wiimote correctly I don't think M+ would help any game released so far in any way.

Besides the obvious games like Twood and other which are already getting M+ versions.

What I want to know is if they will put M+ in all wiimotes.

bdouble said:
Who thought they would retro actively go back and put motion plus into old games? Thats plain ridiculous.

Cammie did.

Not this first edition, but to your point, I would certainly expect that people would be following up with some of those titles with a second version very rapidly to take advantage of the Wii MotionPlus capabilities, because it is a heck of a lot of fun.

Top Bottom