• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Motion+ news and discussion thread (rd 06/08/09 $19.99, WSR's bundle $49.99)

Vinci

Danish
jamesinclair said:
Did you see march NPDs?

Sony and MS will be lowering their prices before August. Nintendo cant hold at 250 forever.

What do Sony and MS's actions have to do with what the Wii does?

jamesinclair said:
Did you see march NPDs?

Sony and MS will be lowering their prices before August. Nintendo cant hold at 250 forever.

No, I think they can. They do need to demonstrate better value at that price though, and I think adding something like the MotionPlus would be the best move.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
jamesinclair said:
Did you see march NPDs?

You're acting as if Nintendo didn't raise the price in the UK.

markatisu

jamesinclair said:
Did you see march NPDs?

Why not? MS now has a sku thats cheaper than the Wii and yet the Wii still outsells it 2:1

The Wii is still launch priced in Japan and its getting hammered over there

jamesinclair said:
Did you see march NPDs?

The same March NPDs where the Wii still managed to sell like over 600k consoles, numbers that Sony and MS would love to have be their "worst"?

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
jamesinclair said:
Did you see march NPDs?

What about the march NPD's? The Wii dropped the same as 360 and PS3 from the month before, was only down 20% from last year when SSBB released, and still outsold the PS3 and 360 combined.
I still think a small price cut would be smart, just to keep it within spitting distance of the 360 Arcade, but it has nothing to do with the NPD results.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
schuelma said:
CONFIRMED:

Tiger Woods and Grand Slam Motion+ bundles in Europe

Tiger Woods bundle in N.A

http://www.mcvuk.com/press-releases/46533/EA-Sports-MotionPlus-bundles

GUILDFORD, UK.– April 21, 2009– EA SPORTS™, a label of Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: ERTS), today announced that the Wii™ versions of both Tiger Woods PGA TOUR® 10 and EA SPORTS Grand Slam® Tennis will be bundled with Nintendo’s new Wii MotionPlus™ accessory when the titles ship to stores this summer in Europe. In North America, Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 10 will be bundled with the Wii MotionPlus accessory at launch.

Tiger Woods bundle is mine

Thanks mate :)
Updated the OP.

Also, one question:

Is Red Steel 2 the only other announced titles that will be using M+?

Aaron Strife said:
The same March NPDs where the Wii still managed to sell like over 600k consoles, numbers that Sony and MS would love to have be their "worst"?

The Wii is down week on week, like everybody else, and theres no software in the near future thats going to change that.

Theres no SSBM, WIi Fit, Mario Galaxy or similar game coming out this year. If MS goes to 149, and PS3 also drops, Nintendo will be under pressure, especially if the motion+ is perceived as a required 20$ purchase.

I think 229 + Motion+ will keep the momentum until past Christmas.

Door2Dawn

Banned
jamesinclair said:
The Wii is down week on week, like everybody else, and theres no software in the near future thats going to change that.

Theres no SSBM, WIi Fit, Mario Galaxy or similar game coming out this year. If MS goes to 149, and PS3 also drops, Nintendo will be under pressure, especially if the motion+ is perceived as a required 20$ purchase.

How do you know?

markatisu said:
Why would you think they would add M+ and drop the price?

I could see them bundle it and increase the price
They've gone longer than anyone has before without dropping the price, but it's inevitable that it will eventually happen. Appearing to add value to the package and drop the price less than they would've otherwise is just one possibility.

Eteric Rice

JoshuaJSlone said:
They've gone longer than anyone has before without dropping the price, but it's inevitable that it will eventually happen. Appearing to add value to the package and drop the price less than they would've otherwise is just one possibility.

What about a hardware revision that adds an upscaler etc? Or will revisions not work for consoles?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
GAME has motionplus listed as £24.99 RRP (selling it at £19.99 preorder price). Is that any kind of official price, or just a placeholder? Seems quite expensive

d+pad

jamesinclair said:
Theres no SSBM, WIi Fit, Mario Galaxy or similar game coming out this year...

It's already been said, but Wii Sports Resort will be out soon, as will Punch Out!! I'm sure both of those will spur sales in the U.S. Then there's this little thing called E3 to provide us with what's coming out at the end of the year (*cough* Wii Fit+ *cough*).

Shiggy

mrklaw said:
GAME has motionplus listed as £24.99 RRP (selling it at £19.99 preorder price). Is that any kind of official price, or just a placeholder? Seems quite expensive

It's retailing for EUR 19.99. Comparing that to the price of Nintendo Points 2000, that RRP seems to be right. Blame your government.

Captain N

I think Nintendo would be smart to release Wii Motion Plus with the system. People would probably buy a remake of the original Wii Sports just for Motion Plus support and it could come with the motion plus attachment.

pakkit

Banned
d+pad said:
It's already been said, but Wii Sports Resort will be out soon, as will Punch Out!! I'm sure both of those will spur sales in the U.S. Then there's this little thing called E3 to provide us with what's coming out at the end of the year (*cough* Wii Fit+ *cough*).

I'm not so sure Punch Out! will drive sales. A puzzler punching game isn't exactly an easy sell.

1-D_FTW

pakkit said:
I'm not so sure Punch Out! will drive sales. A puzzler punching game isn't exactly an easy sell.

Yeah. It's gonna tank. It's the type of game other companies would have redid in HD and released on the digital services for cheap. But WS:R (assuming they put any effort into it) is gonna be massive. Bigger than any core title they could release.

1-D_FTW

plank said:
^^ Some people started gaming in 1995. :lol

I don't know why I'm responding to anyone who uses :lol , but what? What does that mean?

I've been gaming quite a bit longer than that. And if it's referring to the fact some people weren't gaming when it was released and it's new to them, do you honestly believe this is gonna appeal to them?

That Punchout remake is pure fan service and 100 percent nostalgia driven. That's the only market this game is gonna appeal to.

1-D_FTW said:
That Punchout remake is pure fan service and 100 percent nostalgia driven. That's the only market this game is gonna appeal to.
That's silly. It will be a bridge game like Animal Crossing and Mario Kart.

Vinci

Danish
Aaron Strife said:
That's silly. It will be a bridge game like Animal Crossing and Mario Kart.

Wii Fit's boxing, heavily expanded, would've been a bridge game. I find it hard to consider Punch Out one - and I'm 100% jazzed for it.

gkryhewy

jamesinclair said:
Theres no SSBM, WIi Fit, Mario Galaxy or similar game coming out this year.

lol, what? WiiSports Resort, WiiFit+, *Something(s)* big & mysterious for the holidays per Gamestop's CEO...

Hell, the Tiger Woods Motion+ bundle has the potential to be huge.

We should all be aware by now that Nintendo's decision to cut prices or not will have nothing to do with what 360 & PS3 are priced at.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
jamesinclair said:

Back in 2007 I said something along the lines of, once they release Wii Health Pack(Wii Fit) they won't have to release anything else. So far I think I was partly right.

The thing with the Wii is all those games that are really pushing it now will keep pushing it to some degree. So even if Wii Sports Resort fails(there's a chance of that IMO), we still probably won't necessarily be seeing a "Wii crash". Assuming the economy stays relatively stable it's reasonable to expect some healthy sales. And if not yeah, then they will drop the price, along with other things.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
pakkit said:
1-D_FTW said:
Yeah. It's gonna tank. It's the type of game other companies would have redid in HD and released on the digital services for cheap. But WS:R (assuming they put any effort into it) is gonna be massive. Bigger than any core title they could release.

I don't know... Punch-Out!! has a lot of drawing power, and it's the first new Punch-Out!! in ages...

Captain N

I think we'll see Punch-Out!!! In the top 10 for sales in May

I can easily see Tiger Woods 10 taking the top spot in June.

d+pad

Wow, I'm amazed at the number of people who think Punch Out!! is going to tank here. It seems like NOA is going to push it pretty hard, and I have a feeling that alone is going to help it to some pretty healthy sales. I guess we'll see soon enough :)

Regardless, I think the M+ games (WS:Resort, Grand Slam Tennis, Tiger Woods and Virtua Tennis) are going to spur some sales on their own...

Dash Kappei

Punch-Out doesn't have Wii Motion Plus btw ;)

Sorry to ask again, do you guys know if there's any other announced M+ enhanced title besides Red Steel 2?

Also, thanks for the contributions Shiggy.

Cheez-It

Why the fuck is Motion+ not bundled with Grand Slam Tennis in the US? Am I reading this right? I fucking hate golf! @&*(%^%^&*^@!(*&$^!@*

Nabs

Cheez-It said:
Why the fuck is Motion+ not bundled with Grand Slam Tennis in the US? Am I reading this right? I fucking hate golf! @&*(%^%^&*^@!(*&$^!@*

i'm guessing they have a limited supply for now, and would rather bundle it with a title that is proven to move units.

Cheez-It

Interesting. I suppose from EA's perspective that might be more likely. IMHO GST will eclipse Tiger Woods. Might be letting personal tastes get in the way, but tennis seems more universal, more popular in Wii Sports, etc.

My older brother has been wanting to play a golf game, but I've told him that really hasn't been anything which improves on what was already established in WiiSports. His been keeping an eye on this Tiger Woods game, and we'll see how it goes.

pakkit

Banned
Nabs said:
i'm guessing they have a limited supply for now, and would rather bundle it with a title that is proven to move units.
I'm guessing that Nintendo didn't want SEGA to throw a fit.

Dash Kappei

New Motion Plus gameplay Trailer for Grand Slam Tennis

Here's the final boxart for GST Motion Plus's bundle (available only in Europe/UK).
So the in EU the games with Motion Plus' compatibility will have an official certification's stamp that is seems to be missing from TW 10 (NA) bundle.

In the PR is says the bundle will be available for a limited time only. (?)

hwmqz9.jpg

No DLC planned for GST if we have to believe the box.
No biggie, courts don't add anything more and all the SLAM are already in and the characters' roster is pretty comprehensive but it would've been nice having a few more available for dl (massive fail at no Agassi, Seles and Michael Chang though! And i've hears Stefi Graf isn't in it as well..).

Most important news about the game:

Unlike Virtua Tennis 09, you DON'T NEED TO DO the CALIBRATION after each and every point!
Motion Plus calibrate itself during loading, before every match!

beje

Banned
Shiggy said:

I'm glad they finally went for the flat design with the same dimensions as the Wiimote itself. I was worried they would kill wireless nunchucks if they went for a special shape.

Edit: WTF! I read them the other way round. Those fuckers have chosen a shape that will make a lot of wireless nunchucks unusable. Nintendo, as always, pissing all over they can when they have the chance. Fuckers.

beje said:
I'm glad they finally went for the flat design with the same dimensions as the Wiimote itself. I was worried they would kill wireless nunchucks if they went for a special shape.

Edit: WTF! I read them the other way round. Those fuckers have chosen a shape that will make a lot of wireless nunchucks unusable. Nintendo, as always, pissing all over they can when they have the chance. Fuckers.

heh, anyone with half a brain waited before buying those wireless nunchucks, i know i did :D

Dash Kappei

Wait, I'm confused:

Grand Slam Tennis with Motion+ Hands on:

www.nintendoworldreport.com said:
One very interesting note regarding Wii MotionPlus is that the game calibrates the peripheral during load times, setting itself seamlessly before and after matches. Outside of the loading screens it also mentions that it's calibrating the peripheral, but the calibration process is transparent and happens in the background.

If that's an option with Motion Plus (and this is a HUGE and AWESOME news btw, it seems the calibration it's a lot less demanding that what we tought it was going to be), why the hell did Virtua Tennis 2009 choose the "mandatory calibratation after every point"?

Compared to how GST handles M+'s calibration, that seems retarded now: Is there some technical limitation that the Sumo Digital guys weren't able to overcome?
I mean, they (SEGA) went as far as labeling as kinda lame the way GST deals with lobs and backs (pushing A or B button while swingin' the remote), so it's safe to assume that the Motion Plus support was a very big deal to them and yet that is a pretty big difference between the two games right there.

(thanks to Markatisu for the heads up on the article)

markatisu

Dash Kappei said:
Compared to how GST handles M+'s calibration, that seems retarded now: Is there must be some technical limitation the developers weren't able to overcome?
I mean, they (SEGA) went as far as labeling as kinda lame the way GST deals with lobs and backs (pushing A or B button while swingin' the remote), so it's safe to assume that the Motion Plus support was a very big deal to them and yet that is a pretty big difference between the two games right there.

It might have to do with how much assistance EA got from Nintendo, I mean they are bundling the device so it could be inferred that EA asked Nintendo for some help on M+ implementation whereas SEGA has pretty much done their own thing.

From what we know of WSR there is no calibration process you have to do so its possible GST and other EA games are using Nintendos form of calibration

Dash Kappei

markatisu said:
It might have to do with how much assistance EA got from Nintendo, I mean they are bundling the device so it could be inferred that EA asked Nintendo for some help on M+ implementation whereas SEGA has pretty much done their own thing.

From what we know of WSR there is no calibration process you have to do so its possible GST and other EA games are using Nintendos form of calibration

Make sense.
But the early build of WSR's swordfight needed the players to point at their Miis after each point (or was it after each match?). IIRC that was showed in that E3 video with Reggie fighting with maybe Kohler or some other journalist behind a closed doors presentation, has that changed now?

Dash Kappei said:
Make sense.
But the early build of WSR's swordfight needed the players to point at their Miis after each point (or was it after each match?). IIRC that was showed in that E3 video with Reggie fighting with maybe Kohler or some other journalist behind a closed doors presentation, has that changed now?
Well, Regg did say that the current build is much better than the one from E3 if I remember correctly.

Hate to be that guy, but:

Amazon said:
Wii Sports Resort

$49.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping. Details
Pre-order Price Guarantee. Learn more.
This item will be released on July 26, 2009.

Confirmed WAT?

Top Bottom