• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii + SD cards

Leatherface

Quick question guys. I want to buy an SD card for my wii. I know 2gig cards are the limit but does the speed of the card matter? Should I spend more money on a faster SD card for the Wii or will it only read at a certain speed anyway? Second question: Any of you know of a sweet online deal you can point me to? Thanks! :D

Pellham

Banned
I just bought a kingston 2 gig SD card for $20 (with an extra $5 off with mail in rebate but i'll probably forget to mail it in). I think it was a deal on buy.com

2 gig is the limit the Wii can read? Hope a firmware upgrade will fix that, kind of a stupid limitation..

CO_Andy

Why not get both? Brand & speed are both important, otherwise the company's unreliable.

I find regular SD cards to be far too sluggish for transferring, so i'd recommend getting a fast-type brand, Micro SD card.

Sandisk Ultra ii Micro SD comes highly recommended from me. I could swear the transfer speed rivals my usb drive.

Using Google Checkout now yields $20 off 50. Try finding yerself a card on buy.com

Carlisle

Leatherface said:
what do you guys think of this one? http://www.supergooddeal.com/Super_Talent_1GB_150X_Super_Digital_Flash_Card_p/vsd1g-150x.htm

Only 1gig but 150X speed. Found through google checkout. Is this a decent brand and reliable vendor though?

I wouldn't worry about speed. The Wii doesn't read VC games or channels directly from the card (they need to be saved to internal memory), so the card is used only for storage purposes. And the biggest file you'll be transfering is 64mb, which takes no time at all (not to mention that that's as big as N64 games got iirc... and there's not even a handful of those).

The only thing on SD cards that the Wii reads directly are pictures, music, and movies, which don't appear to be compromised by slower card speeds from my experience.

Christopher

I believe I saw offical Nintendo brand ones today I have a quick question if you guys don't mind:

1.) Are the Nintendo brand ones worth it? I BELIEVE I saw 2 gig ones today, but I wasn't 100% on it.

2.) When buying say a Virtual Console game on there, does it read your SD card, or would you have to load it before it recognizes the channels?

Thanks ;p

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Christopher said:
2.) When buying say a Virtual Console game on there, does it read your SD card, or would you have to load it before it recognizes the channels?

I bought LoZ and it didn't even give me the option to put it on my SD card; it went straight to my on-board flash RAM.

CO_Andy

Leatherface said:
what do you guys think of this one? http://www.supergooddeal.com/Super_Talent_1GB_150X_Super_Digital_Flash_Card_p/vsd1g-150x.htm

Only 1gig but 150X speed. Found through google checkout. Is this a decent brand and reliable vendor though?
I'd be weary if i were you of buying no-name brands. There doesn't to be a standard when companies stick their freakin' speed benchmark on the label.

I bought my SD card after reading up on a test of a group of SD cards, and behold the one that came out on top was the Sandisk. Some of the ones that claimed higher speeds were reportedly buggy.

I scoff at the Sandisk brand Wii card, although they could be slapping their 'Ultra technology' of increased speed on it. No way to tell, and at that price i'd pick up a Micro SD which reads/writes faster than the original SD.

I was lucky to pick up a 2gb SD from Fry's for $10. Highspeed 60, whatever that is. Works great for watching movies on Wii.

Juice

I got the 2GB normal SanDisk for $30 at Best Buy. Works great (Wii hilariously reports it has 15842 blocks or some other).

Not the best SD card for the money (how times have changed! I bought a 1GB Memory Stick 18 months ago for $130 and that was a deal!), but it was free after Rewards Zone points *shrug*

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
strx said:
I was lucky to pick up a 2gb SD from Fry's for $10. Highspeed 60, whatever that is. Works great for watching movies on Wii.

What kind of movie formats work on wii?

cvxfreak

Is there a way to format an SD Card using the Wii hardware? My uncle gave me his 2GB for free but there's data on it.

Phobophile said:
I bought LoZ and it didn't even give me the option to put it on my SD card; it went straight to my on-board flash RAM.
Yeah, not being able to read straight from the SD card will be a hassle once we start getting enough of those oversized VC downloads or new channels. I'm kinda hoping for a "Channel Channel" to directly access such things. People are wanting a way to categorize VC games by console or some other folder system anyway, so a Channel Channel wouldn't be too much hassle. Easier than shuffling things back and forth from the system memory.

aparisi2274 said:
Can you save data and mp3 on the same sd card? so I can use the sd with excite truck?
Yeah, all sorts of stuff can be on there. The first SD card thing I did was to take the SD card from my brother's PDA and put it in with Excite Truck to see if he had any MP3s. Then we raced to The Picard Song.

Haven't had a chance to try it on Wii yet, but Wii Video 9 turned that 2-3 minute SSBB E3 trailer into a 155 MB file regardless of settings.

dyls

Phobophile said:

I'm not sure if people understand that you CANNOT dowload VC games to an SD card. Most likely you will NEVER be able to (legally, anyway) because of the piracy issues involved. Because the largest games available will max out at 64 MB, it's makes sense for Nintendo to go with the "if you run out of space, just delete games, and then download them again later if you want to go back to them" policy, rather than the "just copy the games to an SD card and we'll hope that you don't figure out a way to copy them to other SD cards, thereby negating the whole system" policy.

I mean, a 64 MB download on a broadband connection takes, what, 6 minutes at most?

dyls said:
I'm not sure if people understand that you CANNOT dowload VC games to an SD card. Most likely you will NEVER be able to (legally, anyway) because of the piracy issues involved. Because the largest games available will max out at 64 MB, it's makes sense for Nintendo to go with the "if you run out of space, just delete games, and then download them again later if you want to go back to them" policy, rather than the "just copy the games to an SD card and we'll hope that you don't figure out a way to copy them to other SD cards, thereby negating the whole system" policy.

I mean, a 64 MB download on a broadband connection takes, what, 6 minutes at most?

Umm... I'm pretty sure I've seen vids of people transferring their VC games off the Wii flash memory and on to an SD card...

EDIT:

Yup, you can: http://www.******.com/gaming/gizmodo/managing-sd-cards-on-the-wii-215836.php

Cosmonaut X said:
Umm... I'm pretty sure I've seen vids of people transferring their VC games off the Wii flash memory and on to an SD card...

Yeah, (and as your edit shows) it's easy to backup vc games, saves, etc. to the SD card, but you can't do a direct save currently.

dyls

Cosmonaut X said:

EDIT:

Yup, you can: http://www.******.com/gaming/gizmodo/managing-sd-cards-on-the-wii-215836.php

I thought it was just save files that can be moved to SD cards. Which site were you linking to? I assumed S p o n g, but that didn't work.

edit: miscounted the stars. oops. athought, it's funny, I next tried gizmodo, which worked.

dyls said:
I thought it was just save files that can be moved to SD cards. Which site were you linking to? I assumed S p o n g, but that didn't work.

K o t a k u - only site I could find with a vid of the process.

dyls

Cosmonaut X said:
K o t a k u - only site I could find with a vid of the process.

I stand corrected. I'm surprised. Nintendo must be really confident in their security to voluntarily allow the files to get on such a universal standard. They're usually so... proprietary.

edit: It's weird that the DK file he copied never actually shows up on the SD card. Has anyone successfully copied an entire game file to the card?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Perhaps because in that view, it only shows save files, not VC channels? Not sure.

However, Nintendo's been saying from the beginning that we'd be able to use an SD card to expand the internal flash memory.

Mejilan

Actually, I believe that it is, until a firmware update deals with the issue. The technology for SD cards higher than 4gb is a bit different than that of the standard cards.

Andonuts

dyls said:

edit: miscounted the stars. oops. athought, it's funny, I next tried gizmodo, which worked.

Yeah, it's just the save files. You can't even move them back to your wii until you've redownloaded the VC games, anyway.

Little upset over this since I'm getting my wii replaced and I'll have to buy all of the VC games I've downloaded so far. Thankfully I was able to save my miis.

Pellham

Banned
quicktime can't be the only movie format supported. In those Nintendo developer interviews, they specifically mentioned motionJPEG, which is the movie format that Canon digital cameras support (they're saved as AVI files).

Lhadatt

Andonuts said:
Yeah, it's just the save files. You can't even move them back to your wii until you've redownloaded the VC games, anyway.

Little upset over this since I'm getting my wii replaced and I'll have to buy all of the VC games I've downloaded so far. Thankfully I was able to save my miis.
No, you can save VC games to the SD card. You just can't run them unless they're in the Wii's main memory, which sucks.

You can also tie your purchases to your Nintendo.com account. I believe they will be marked as re-downloadable in the Wii Shop if they're tied to the website account.

Andonuts

Lhadatt said:
No, you can save VC games to the SD card. You just can't run them unless they're in the Wii's main memory, which sucks.

You can also tie your purchases to your Nintendo.com account. I believe they will be marked as re-downloadable in the Wii Shop if they're tied to the website account.

Regardless of all this, your downloads are still tied to the console you downloaded it to, so it doesn't really matter.

Lhadatt

Andonuts said:
Regardless of all this, your downloads are still tied to the console you downloaded it to, so it doesn't really matter.
Then have Nintendo compensate you with Wii Points. Their product broke during their warranty period, they should compensate you for the downloads.

Mejilan

Not to mention that if you've tied your Wii to your My Nintendo account, all of your VC downloads get auto-registered, so that should be all the evidence you need to back up your complaint to Nintendo.

Top Bottom