• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Super Mario 25th anniversary special edition announced (has Wiimote+) [Is Red]

swerve

Wow, the euro version is a way sweeter deal. Shame it doesn't have resort (seeing as it has M+).

Next up, NOA.

yankee666

I love the red Wii, so Beautiful!!!! Day 1 for me.

Any info on when is gonna be released in europe?
Any word by NOA?

Ridley327

PounchEnvy said:
What's the point of the Wiimote+?
I'd imagine it's ultimately cheaper for Nintendo to have it as an all-in-one device than to have two separate components. Also, you wouldn't have to worry about fumbling around with the standalone sensor getting in the way of games that use the Wiimote horizontally for play.

BGBW said:
So when they celebrate 25 years of Waluigi I'll finally get my purple Wii.

W004.jpg

gerg

Allan Holdsworth said:
Now I wish I hadn't got the Black Wii earlier this year...
Then again knowing NoA this won't release in North America anyway.

:lol

NoA skimps out on some relatively niche games, as does NoE from time to time.

America will not miss out on a big bundle like this.

Poyunch

Okay okay I should have worded that better. What's the point of Wii Remote Plus being packaged with this game?

edit: Ah I was thinking that this was the game. :lol

gerg said:
:lol

NoA skimps out on some relatively niche games, as does NoE from time to time.

America will not miss out on a big bundle like this.

So they will release the DSi and DSiXL special editions too? Riiight.

gerg

Allan Holdsworth said:
So they will release the DSi and DSiXL special editions too? Riiight.

Have those been announced for Europe, though?

It's pretty clear that NCL is the one who authorises games for localisation, or products for release, with an extra layer of authority with both NoA and NoE to decide if, in fact, they want to release such products. Do you really think that NoA is going to miss out on releasing a product like this?

gerg

Gravijah said:
Also, a special edition Wii is a little different since there's only two colors.

And there's also the fact that, y'know, Pokemon Black and White haven't even been released in either Europe or America.

gerg

Gravijah said:
must you remind me?

Actually, I didn't realise that Allan Holdsworth may have been referring to the special edition DSi and DSiXL units that are also being released in celebration of Mario's 25th Anniversary. I agree that their release is a lot less likely, especially considering that one is a product that can only be bought at 7/11 convenience stores in Japan, but my point still stands that we can only say "Fuck you NoA!" when their European release has been assured as well.

robjoh

CaVaYeRo said:
it's a DSi XL.

BTW, Nintendo has officially announced Wii Super Mario 25th Anniversary pack will be out this October 29th in Europe.

Oct 22nd for red DSi XL + NSMB pack and both are limited editions.

No official price yet. Any retailer info around? It's almost there...

Webhallen.com (swedish internet store) has the Wii pack at 2195 SEK. Should be 200-220 Euro I guess.

EDIT:
Just noticed that they had, Price might change, at the bottom of the page.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
How much will the Wii bundle be in Europe? I gave my Wii away a while back, and now I'm hankering to catch up on some of the Mario games I missed.

Sorry for the bump, just got the e-mail that states NOA is releasing the red Wii stateside along with the Red DSi XL. Also Wii Remote Plus blah blah blah. Basically we all knew they'd do it.

confuziz

Banned
NintendoGal said:
Sorry for the bump, just got the e-mail that states NOA is releasing the red Wii stateside along with the Red DSi XL. Also Wii Remote Plus blah blah blah. Basically we all knew they'd do it.

As expected, but faster than most people guessed I think :lol

Farmboy said:
Both. This is the DSi:

mario_02_1001--article_image.jpg

from what I read and understood, I thought the DSi was a promotion only release in Japan through 7-11's?

correct me if I'm wrong...I ordered one from Japan and the seller informed me that you could only pre-order them at 7-11 stores...

WTF!! The U.S. Red Wii doesn't come with a pre-loaded game!!! WTF NINTENDO?!?

Nintendo Press Site said:
NINTENDO ANNOUNCES RED-HOT BUNDLES, NEW WII REMOTE PLUS CONTROLLER

The Best Video Game Value for the Holidays Just Got Even Better

REDMOND, Wash., Oct. 21, 2010 - Nintendo has everyone's holiday shopping list covered with an array of great new products. These include Mario™-red, limited-edition Wii™ and Nintendo DSi XL™ system bundles that celebrate the 25th anniversary of the Super Mario Bros.™ game on the NES™ and a new Wii Remote™ Plus controller that has Wii MotionPlus™ motion technology built right in. Nintendo already offers tremendous video game value, and these products will make it even easier for shoppers to find fun at a great price. All new products go on sale in North America on Nov. 7, and the limited-edition products will be available while supplies last.

"Whether shoppers want to add a cool new look to their gaming setup or expand their supply of controllers with an exciting game, Nintendo offers a great value for the holidays," said Marc Franklin, Nintendo of America's director of Public Relations. "For anyone who is still on the fence about whether to join the world of video games, we're offering many fun, easy, economical ways to get involved."

The lineup of products launching Nov. 7 includes:

Red Wii Bundle: This limited-edition Wii hardware comes in beautiful red to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the original Super Mario Bros. game. The bundle includes New Super Mario Bros.™ Wii and a new red Wii Remote Plus controller, in addition to all the other included items, like Wii Sports™ and a red Nunchuk™ controller. It will be available while supplies last at a suggested retail price of just $199.99.

Red Nintendo DSi XL Bundle: This special-edition Nintendo DSi XL bundle is also red in honor of the 25th anniversary of Super Mario Bros. and features three iconic Super Mario Bros.-themed graphics. The bundle comes with Mario Kart™ DS, which looks gorgeous on the extra-large screen. That's in addition to the pre-loaded software of Brain Age™ Express: Arts & Letters, Brain Age Express: Math and Photo Clock. It will be available while supplies last at a suggested retail price of just $179.99.

Wii Remote Plus: This new controller combines the original, iconic Wii Remote™ controller with built-in Wii MotionPlus functionality. The compact Wii Remote Plus controller offers players precision motion controls all in one unit. It becomes the new standard Wii controller, and will be available from now on in all Wii hardware packages and bundles, as well as sold separately at a suggested retail price of $39.99.

FlingSmash™ Bundle: The new Wii game combines the hands-on fun of tennis with the nonstop action and instant gratification of pinball. It requires use of the Wii MotionPlus accessory, so it seemed natural to bundle it with the new Wii Remote Plus controller. For a suggested retail price of $49.99, shoppers get to enjoy both the game and the controller in one package.
Remember that Wii and Nintendo DSi feature parental controls that let adults manage the content their children can access. For more information about this and other features, visit http://wii.com or http://www.nintendodsi.com.

About Nintendo: The worldwide pioneer in the creation of interactive entertainment, Nintendo Co., Ltd., of Kyoto, Japan, manufactures and markets hardware and software for its Wii™ home console and Nintendo DS™ family of portable systems. Since 1983, when it launched the Nintendo Entertainment System™, Nintendo has sold more than 3.4 billion video games and more than 565 million hardware units globally, including the current-generation Wii, Nintendo DS, Nintendo DSi™ and Nintendo DSi XL™, as well as the Game Boy™, Game Boy Advance, Super NES™, Nintendo 64™ and Nintendo GameCube™ systems. It has also created industry icons that have become well-known, household names such as Mario™, Donkey Kong™, Metroid™, Zelda™ and Pokémon™. A wholly owned subsidiary, Nintendo of America Inc., based in Redmond, Wash., serves as headquarters for Nintendo's operations in the Western Hemisphere. For more information about Nintendo, please visit the company's website at http://www.nintendo.com.

noasucks.jpg

Mockingbird said:

Mm. Unless it's just not mentioned in the PR for whatever reason, that does seem to be the case. Not really sure why they would do that though - it seems a rather arbitrary decision, given that the other two main territories have their own specific titles preloaded.

EDIT:

Looking at the packshot, could the "Mario Game Inside" not refer to a pre-installed game? It would seem daft to have a second bit of blurb on the cover referring to NSMBWii when it's shown below.

bon

Mockingbird said:
Whaat? Half the reason I wanted one was for the exclusive anniversary game.

I still really want that XL though.

Cosmonaut X said:
Mm. Unless it's just not mentioned in the PR for whatever reason, that does seem to be the case. Not really sure why they would do that though - it seems a rather arbitrary decision, given that the other two main territories have their own specific titles preloaded.

EDIT:

Looking at the packshot, could the "Mario Game Inside" not refer to a pre-installed game? It would seem daft to have a second bit of blurb on the cover referring to NSMBWii when it's shown below.

Doubtful, since the other two regions specifically mentioned the games; plus, the PR even bothered to mentioned the DSi pre-loaded games.

Mockingbird said:
Doubtful, since the other two regions specifically mentioned the games; plus, the PR even bothered to mentioned the DSi pre-loaded games.

Fair point. What an odd decision - I mean, the SMB 25th Anniversary game is (basically) just a romhack of a game already on the VC, but the original Donkey Kong (which Europe seems to be getting) would have been cool. I'm at a loss to understand why they wouldn't have included at least one of them, or failing that, Super Mario Bros.

bon

Cosmonaut X said:
Fair point. What an odd decision - I mean, the SMB 25th Anniversary game is (basically) just a romhack of a game already on the VC, but the original Donkey Kong (which Europe seems to be getting) would have been cool. I'm at a loss to understand why they wouldn't have included at least one of them, or failing that, Super Mario Bros.
I'd pay any number of Wii points if NoA put both of them on VC.

Yoshi256

Banned
Just to get sure I got it right: Nintendo puts the new Wii-Remote in the Anniversary bundle, but instead of WiiSports Resort the WiiSports from 2006?

Top Bottom