• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Super Mario 25th anniversary special edition announced (has Wiimote+) [Is Red]

Yoshi256 said:
Just to get sure I got it right: Nintendo puts the new Wii-Remote in the Anniversary bundle, but instead of WiiSports Resort the WiiSports from 2006?

Same as Europe - Nintendo's way of thinking seems to be that they are adding one game to the old pack (Wii w. Wii Sports) for both their now-standard SKU (Wii w. Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort) and this "limited edition" bundle (Wii w. Wii Sports and NSMB Wii). They're not going to remove Wii Sports and replace it with WSR, and they're certainly not going to bundle Wii Sports Resort and NSMB Wii, so you end up with this situation.

It's not really that odd a position - what's truly weird is releasing Wii Party with the standard Remote and not the Remote Plus. Admittedly, WP doesn't use the MotionPlus, but you'd think they'd take it as an opportunity to get more of the integrated controllers out there.

Yoshi256 said:
Just to get sure I got it right: Nintendo puts the new Wii-Remote in the Anniversary bundle, but instead of WiiSports Resort the WiiSports from 2006?

Yep I noticed that too. Sometimes I think the marketing/sales department use a dart board to determine what their next move is.

sfog

Stumpokapow said:
ahhaha and they didn't announce the Super Mario All-Stars / Super Mario Collection disc either!

Since they announced the limited edition consoles for November 7th rather than later, I suspect they'll wait until Black Friday for SMAS...

Well, since Wii Sports cannot be bought separately in EU or North america, it makes sense that they'd continue to bundle it, really.

also, Nintendo probably bundled the original wii remote with wii party to get rid of its stock.

I'm also not surprised about the lack of Super Mario all-stars...for now. EU is getting it likely because they're not getting Kirby's Epic Yarn this year. We'll likely get it in early 2011 during the usual software drought.

But no pre-installed game is still bs. I hope it's cause they intend to make money off us by releasing both of those games on the Wii Shop channel.

Mockingbird said:
Well, since Wii Sports cannot be bought separately in EU or North america, it makes sense that they'd continue to bundle it, really.

also, Nintendo probably bundled the original wii remote with wii party to get rid of its stock.

Both good points - in particular the Wii Party one, as I hadn't considered that shifting stock of older Remotes might be necessary (I wonder how many they had "stockpiled" before rolling with the Remote Plus?)

Turrican3

Mockingbird said:
I'm also not surprised about the lack of Super Mario all-stars...for now. [...] We'll likely get it in early 2011 during the usual software drought.
Though doing this would probably make the whole "25th anniversary" thing pointless...

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder how limited these are going to be. I want the DSi XL and I want the Wii... not sure if I can swing them both on the 7th but damned if I'm not going to try.

OK since some can defend the Wii pack-in decision, explain the red DSi XL one for us please because that completely boggled my mind.

Fake edit: My guess is that Mario Kart is thrown into appease the fact it's a red Mario system and would appeal to older folks who have grown out of gaming. Those folks might take an interest in the Brain Age stuff. This still seems an odd pairing to me considering it's supposed to be celebrating Mario.

sfog

NintendoGal said:
OK since some can defend the Wii pack-in decision, explain the red DSi XL one for us please because that completely boggled my mind.

Fake edit: My guess is that Mario Kart is thrown into appease the fact it's a red Mario system and would appeal to older folks who have grown out of gaming. Those folks might take an interest in the Brain Age stuff. This still seems an odd pairing to me considering it's supposed to be celebrating Mario.

The Mario DSi XL pack-ins (the Brain Age Express games and Photo Clock, and likely the web browser and Flipnote Studio as well), are the same as those on the standard XL system. The only difference is in the system design itself and getting MKDS for $10 extra.

NintendoGal said:

It's not so much defending as explaining, but:

The DSi/DSiXL standard packs have that software pre-installed, so Nintendo are clearly doing what they have with the Wii pack - taking the "base unit" they manufacture (in this case, the DSi/DSiXL with pre-installed software, in the case of the Wii, the console with Wii Sports) and adding a new colour and a different game.

It's a bit of a penny-pinching way to go about it, but it looks like their production line just churns out DS's with this software pre-installed, so rather than go to the hassle of removing it, or setting up so that they come with some other Mario-themed software installed, they're just leaving it on and throwing in a game.

As for the choice of Mario Kart? Dunno - I would have thought NSMB would have been better, but perhaps sales of the standalone are still strong enough in the US?

I know it comes with the XL standard, but couldn't they ya know, put another pre-install instead for the system? That's all I'm saying. It seems like a wasted opportunity, but I guess if they want to sell more software maybe not.

Turrican3

Mockingbird said:
No it won't. The 25 year anniversary is good until like mid-September 2011.
I believe there's some psychology thrown in: personally I am more inclined to think about the "25th anniversary" looking at the year alone. But you have a point, nonetheless. :)

NintendoGal said:
I know it comes with the XL standard, but couldn't they ya know, put another pre-install instead for the system? That's all I'm saying. It seems like a wasted opportunity, but I guess if they want to sell more software maybe not.

Well, that's why I was trying to make the point about production - if they're all geared up to make one particular product in one particular configuration and just vary the shell colours or the pack-in game, then perhaps it's prohibitively expensive to introduce a second run for something that's going to be limited anyway.

EDIT:

Pulling this out of thin air, but assuming they have to write the system flash at some point during assembly, they would have to set up a separate assembly line just to do a different pre-install, or they would have to be able to reprogram the part of the line that does the writing and switch between the two different configurations. All of which means either extra expense in setting up another line, or downtime costs while they switch to a different configuration.

Cosmonaut X said:
Well, that's why I was trying to make the point about production - if they're all geared up to make one particular product in one particular configuration and just vary the shell colours or the pack-in game, then perhaps it's prohibitively expensive to introduce a second run for something that's going to be limited anyway.

I know there's that, but this is their big mascot. That's all I'm trying to get at, special effort for the character that practically built the company. Guess in the end though they're just looking at the dollar signs it would seem.

NintendoGal said:
I know there's that, but this is their big mascot. That's all I'm trying to get at, special effort for the character that practically built the company. Guess in the end though they're just looking at the dollar signs it would seem.

I think so - they're incredibly conservative, and it's what has let them endure this long and be so successful, but it can also mean that they're leery of spending money when there's actually a damn good excuse to :)

CaVaYeRo

Well, I think it doesn't deserve a new thread. We've got Red NSMB Anniversary Wii pack, Black Mario Kart - Wheel Aniversary Wii pack, Black or White Wii Sports Resort Plus Wii Pack and now...

pack_wii_fit_plus.jpg

http://www.revogamers.net/noticias/tambien-habra-pack-wii-fit-plus-estas-navidades-5733.html

Black Wii Fit Plus pack. Black Balance Board and, like the rest, Wii Remote Plus. Every pack comes with Wii Sports + Extra game, if we don't count DK Original.

CaVaYeRo said:
Black Wii Fit Plus pack. Black Balance Board and, like the rest, Wii Remote Plus. Every pack comes with Wii Sports + Extra game, if we don't count DK Original.

Motherfucker - I would actually happily snatch up a black board. Odd that they're bringing it out, though - and will it be available separately?

What accessories remain to be released in black? I think there's just:
  • Wii Wheel (only available in the Black MK pack so far)
  • Wii Zapper
  • Classic Controller (only the Pro comes in black, but the CC is probably discontinued now)

CaVaYeRo

I don't think they'll release the black BBoard separately. If this is also 199, then it's a great deal. But I don't find any retail listing yet.

Jackano

Cosmonaut X said:
Motherfucker - I would actually happily snatch up a black board. Odd that they're bringing it out, though - and will it be available separately?

What accessories remain to be released in black? I think there's just:
  • Wii Wheel (only available in the Black MK pack so far)
  • Wii Zapper
  • Classic Controller (only the Pro comes in black, but the CC is probably discontinued now)

It's probably a good time to start thinking about the Link's Crossbow Training 2 that Aonuma wants, with black Zapper and maybe WM+ gameplay of some sort.

Top Bottom