• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U clock speeds are found by marcan

Because soccer moms don't care about graphics and hardware performance :p

Yeah, pretty much. They know they can get away with it. And those that do care will defend it.

I'm actually glad that Nintendo will be playing in their own bubble again for the coming gen and won't disrupt Sony and MS' game too much. Regardless of the millions of WiiU they'll undoubtedly manage to peddle.

The cores in the 360 are slightly modified versions of the PPE in the PS3. The Wii U cores are slightly modified versions of the Wii's Broadway CPU. I'm gonna go ahead and assume the PPE is more powerful than Broadway. According to Marcan the Cpu in the Wii U is from 1997-based technology(PowerPC 750).

then explain why Wii U multiplatform ports aren't struggling a shit load more than they are to maintain parity with the PS3 versions.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I wonder if all 3 cores have the same clock since there was that idea that one core might be stronger than the other 2.

That being said while I still fully think the GP/GPU can handle a lot of things that clock speed is just fucking garbage.

For the new page: Let me know if I got the information wrong and let me know what to add. I love seeing numbers!

zKhhB.png

P.S. Based on 1997-tech is a bit skeptical in a sense that it is based on Wii's Broadway processor which is based on Gamecube's Gekko, which was first introduced in 2001.

FyreWulff

Snap. I never even thought of that. That seems incredibly undemanding to emulate.

Considering you need a multi-core computer to emulate the Wii at a decent speed, you're not emulating a multi-core console unless you also increase your available cores along with it.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
On the GPU front, can we put together the die size, clock speed and likely family affiliation to get a better idea of performance there?

GlamFM

Banned
A HD Nintendo Console?

On a side note, if this hack was made through the Wii Mode of the system, could it be "false" information as the hardware is running in the wii mode so teh numbers are not accurate?

Let me rephrase that.

I´m more and more confused how Nintendo thinks they can survive in the western market with this.

Lying on TV might help them a little, but what will happen after XMAS?
From what I understand this isn´t even a decent port machine for PS360 games?

Yeah - I´m confused.

No, I´m not saying Nintendo is going third party.

Perkel

Banned
Explains why they're taking a loss on each system, though.

CPUs with these kinds of clock speeds must be super rare to find in 2012.

Not really as CPU clock is something easy to downgrade. I can make my CPU 1Ghz if i want.
I think 30W in gaming is the answer.

xenist

Three Power PC 750 cores at 1.25 GHz? Ugh. Even taking into account that direct frequency comparison between CPUs of different architecture is nonsense that is some weak ass shit. The architecture is damn ancient and it runs at a decade old frequency.

Not good at all.

The Boat

The fact that it can run PS360 games at such low clockspeeds means that clockspeed alone isn't as clear cut as many people here make it out to be.
EDIT: not that it's a beast.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
It's not great yeah, but are people really comparing this to the CPU speed you'll commonly find in a PC?

Haunted

then explain why Wii U multiplatform ports aren't struggling a shit load more than they are to maintain parity with the PS3 versions.
Probably because the devs are offloading some of the workload to the more capable GPU? I dunno man.

For the new page: Let me know if I got the information wrong and let me know what to add. I love seeing numbers!

http://i.imgur.com/zKhhB.png
never took you for a 50 ppp scrub, shagg.

yon61

Hard to believe Nintendo were willing to cut so many corners. Nintendo can pretty much kiss multiplatform games goodbye.

Mashing

Wow, what a horrid CPU. That is embarrassing and Nintendo should be called the mattress for that shit. This console (save the gamepad) is starting to look more and more like a Wii redesign and not a new console with completely different architecture. And they sell it like it's a next gen console. Terrible. I count myself as one of the Nintendo faithful, but this may be the first Nintendo console I skip entirely.

wsippel

Banned
The cores in the 360 are slightly modified versions of the PPE in the PS3. The Wii U cores are slightly modified versions of the Wii's Broadway CPU. I'm gonna go ahead and assume the PPE is more powerful than Broadway. According to Marcan the Cpu in the Wii U is from 1997-based technology(PowerPC 750).
Yes, and Core i7 is 1978-based technology (Intel 8086).

Waaghals

http://i.imgur.com/zKhhB.png[/IMG]

Wasn't the PS3 GPU clocked down to 500 mhz prior to launch due to yields?
I could be wrong about that, and it really does not matter when it comes to the WiiU, but I felt like making a fuzz.

R1CHO

Not really as CPU clock is something easy to downgrade. I can make my CPU 1Ghz if i want.
I think 30W in gaming is the answer.

This.

Maybe the arm cpu was a better option after all, i doubt that this powerpc cpu is a better option that one of the new quad cortex a9 cpus.

For the BC i guess...

mclem

It's okay if Wii U doesn't compete with 720/PS4.

But to create a system where developers have to put in a ton of effort just to make 360/PS3 games look just as good on Wii U is a big mistake.

I wonder how effective Vanquish and/or Bayonetta would be on it (we might find out with Bayo 2!)

I have a theory - I stress it's only a theory - that Japanese-designed games in general don't stress the CPU all *that* much. We're often not talking about huge environments with large quantities of AI tooling around. Of the poor ports I've heard about, only NG3 and WO3 originated in Japan, and the latter is an example of big-environment-with-lots-of-characters. Don't know exactly what the NG3 issues are like, though, that does throw something of a spanner into the works for the theory.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
hahahahahaahahahahahahaahahaha @ that clock. It's like Nintendo tried to make the system underpowered. On the other hand they wouldn't get next-gen ports anyway so why bother?

Fox Mulder

Hard to believe Nintendo were willing to cut so many corners. Nintendo can pretty much kiss multiplatform games goodbye.

I doubt they'd get much support regardless. Nintendo has had shitty third party support since the N64. At least there's first party games.

Cwarrior

So they decided to sacrifice the cpu in favor of backwards compatibility and low power usage, what terrible choice it's going to benefit them now in short term but bite them hard in the ass for next 5 years.

The Boat

Why did Nintendo obsess over the power consumption so much?
Having a small inconspicuous console that doesn't stand out is part of their strategy to have families make Wii U a part of the living room. It's part of what they did with the Wii and they're continuing the trend.
In other words, they think having a small console helps with sales.

wsippel

Banned
Bayonetta on sudoku watch. :(

boy nintendo is really cheap.
How is any of that "cheap"? Die size dictates cost, not clock frequency. Modifying a 750 to that degree was a lot more expensive than simply using a 476FP and calling it a day.

mclem

damn poor Bayonetta.. it ran like shit on PS3 which cpu has a clockspeed of 3.2Ghz
now they want her to run on a CPU with 1,25Ghz.. poor girl.

I'm no expert of the internals of the game specifically, but I find it hard to believe that Bayonetta is particularly cpu-intensive.

Top Bottom