• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U clock speeds are found by marcan

jT9BD.png

BD1

Banned
Nintendo wanted to service the 95 million Wii owners in the wild. From that perspective, I can understand the CPU decision and in a lot of ways, it was the right choice.

But man... that CPU choice is baffling. Multiplatform Wii U games are going to be interesting to watch over the next 12 months.

Perkel

Banned
I wonder how effective Vanquish and/or Bayonetta would be on it (we might find out with Bayo 2!)

I have a theory - I stress it's only a theory - that Japanese-designed games in general don't stress the CPU all *that* much. We're often not talking about huge environments with large quantities of AI tooling around. Of the poor ports I've heard about, only NG3 and WO3 originated in Japan, and the latter is an example of big-environment-with-lots-of-characters. Don't know exactly what the NG3 issues are like, though, that does throw something of a spanner into the works for the theory.

That's like saying US based devs make only COD.

hwy_61

Banned
So, what does this mean for Bayonetta? I was honestly holding off buying a WiiU until it came out. Should I wait for it to be ported over to PS3/360?

GAF, you're saving me all this money with more rain on the WiiU parade!

Jburton

Banned
Unfortunately it seems there are less and less avenues for hope when it comes to the Wii U having any real power in relation to the forthcoming consoles from MS and Sony, especially when it comes to third party ports.

It seems very likely it is going to look very weak in comparison to those machines, even when purely based on the speculative specs (which seem to be becoming more certain).

Culex

Banned
Isn't it unfair to compare just clock speeds though?

It's like saying a 4ghz P4 is faster than a 2.2ghz i3.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Why did Nintendo obsess over the power consumption so much?

Because when it become law to have energy ratings on everything people will see this on the WiiU
T8Dwv.jpg

And G or something on the others people will just assume it's better. Because no one reads the little numbers, they just see the big A and go "that's the one!"

Oddduck

So, what does this mean for Bayonetta? I was honestly holding off buying a WiiU until it came out. Should I wait for it to be ported over to PS3/360?

Bayonetta 2 won't ever be ported to ps3/360. It's published by Nintendo and it would have never come out without Nintendo's help.

If you're hoping for it to be ported to a non-Nintendo console, you're probably going to have to hold off for a good decade or so.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey

Bayonetta on PS3 and 360, especially 360 was highly dependent on the GPU. Since they're exclusively making the game for the Wii U, I think they can pull off something stunning, but based on these CPU specs, I dunno, I mean, it will be tough.

LeleSocho

Banned

Sorry but this won't happen. If you want B2 you must buy a wiiu.

wsippel

Banned
It's still x86, it's still "based on" 8086. Granted, after nearly half a century, absolutely nothing is left. But we don't know how much PPC750 is in Espresso, we only know that it's ISA compatible. That's all Marcan or any developer sees. Just like a Core i7 is ISA compatible with a 1978 8086.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Let me rephrase that.

I´m more and more confused how Nintendo thinks they can survive in the western market with this.

Lying on TV might help them a little, but what will happen after XMAS?
From what I understand this isn´t even a decent port machine for PS360 games?

Yeah - I´m confused.

No, I´m not saying Nintendo is going third party.

Because the Wii's massive success convinced them that Average Joe Consumer really doesn't care that much about graphics/RAM/clock speed.

Ydahs

Googling; put up a comparison. Let me know if I got the information wrong.

zKhhB.png

So it seems the GPU is quite a boost from last gen (taking into account that it's DX10.1 compliant), but that CPU speed doesn't look good.

Granted, it doesn't mean much on its own (as anyone following CPU specs over the last 7 years will know this), but it certainly does raise some eyebrows. I mean, some old CPUs were pushing 3GHz+ while eventually newer and much better CPUs were often low 2GHz. But, these were newer CPUs. All reports so far indicate to an enhanced Broadway CPU, so it might not be the same case.

I guess it's natural for some people to start speculating what the clockspeed actually means by looking at examples of PC games running on equivalent clockspeeds. It's not really comparable to PC and laptop clockspeeds, simply because how the consoles OS utilizes that clockspeed.

It's a Nintendo published title, so chances are it's only going to be on the Wii U. Though I wouldn't be worried about the quality, given that Platinum is probably working closely with Nintendo who would (should!) know how to utilize their funky hardware, given their history of pushing out great looking games.

xenist

It doesn't say anything conclusive about Bayonetta yet. It says this and only this. The Wii U CPU is very underpowered. It certainly isn't good news, though.

I know that's irony but game like GTA V would really show if CPU is weak or strong

Indeed.

In all seriousness, I can't help but think that there's more to it than the base specs indicate. There's no way you're getting launch ports sporting 360 visuals allied with moderately sub-PS3 performance (and v-sync / anti-aliasing in some cases) if the situation is as dire as it appears to be at surface level.

Seems weak from what i'm reading which makes me more surprised that the ports so far haven't been worse than they are.

Strange decisions from nintendo as well if it is about on 360/PS3 level. I know they don't want to go too expensive but i feel like they could have made a more powerful console for the price if they didn't have to go for such a strange build.

Its published by Nintendo.
But I'd just say that the end of gen ports were on average decent with some good and some terrible.

Just based on the actual final product the Wii U is more powerful than these specs suggest. As they suggest its stuck between a Wii and 360; which we know not to be the case.

Its got 2GB of RAM for something. Understanding how all this meshes together is kind of important.
Bayo2 will be built around the thing; based on the port output and first party output? It should be fine.

Indeed.

In all seriousness, I can't help but think that there's more to it than the base specs indicate. There's no way you're getting 360 visuals allied with moderately sub-PS3 performance (and v-sync / anti-aliasing in some cases) if the situation is as dire as it appears to be at surface level.

Well WiiU is superior in RAM; thats all we really know. How this all works together? Something is going on. To what degree this can help or hinder a game were not sure.

Because when it become law to have energy ratings on everything people will see this on the WiiU
T8Dwv.jpg

And G or something on the others people will just assume it's better. Because no one reads the little numbers, they just see the big A and go "that's the one!"

Nobody and I mean nobody looks at the power consumption of a console before buying it in a store. If they do they don't have enough money to buy the console in the first place.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'm just curious as to how much it actually would have increased the cost of the system to put something more equatable to today's CPUs in there.

They obviously thought it wasn't feasible, but why?

Remember when Wii U was powered by the Watson's brains...

People look at energy ratings when they buy fridges and washing machines, but I doubt they give a shit when they're buying a console.

dEvAnGeL

after the gamecube nintendo systems have never been considered the high point for 3rd parties, the reason the Wii did so well it was because it was easy to pick up and play for everyone and yes, even for nursing homes even if people still think that's a hoax, nowadays nintendo consoles are just good for exclusives, i will buy one when the new zelda comes out just i like i did with the Wii, nintendo took way to long to release this system, that sure is gonna hurt them

Kabouter

Laughable.

These two sentences are odd side-by-side.

Specs affect games, sales do not.

I would say both do, since both can and do prevent the vision of developers from being realized as well as stimulate certain paths of development/types of products.

Indeed.

In all seriousness, I can't help but think that there's more to it than the base specs indicate. There's no way you're getting launch ports sporting 360 visuals allied with moderately sub-PS3 performance (and v-sync / anti-aliasing in some cases) if the situation is as dire as it appears to be at surface level.

lets not forget that Mass Effect 3 runs better on the Wii U than it does on the PS3 also. Trine 2 we can safely presume isn't near CPU limited on anything, Wii U likely included.

I know that's irony but game like GTA V would really show if CPU is weak or strong

Funny you said that, just stumbled upon an article a few hours ago where "a senior executive from Nintendo suggests titles like GTA V could be better, as well as Black Ops 2 on the Wii U classing it as a more graphically intensive system."

Let's see how it turns out.

mclem

That's like saying US based devs make only COD.

Actually, CoD's probably less CPU-intensive than some others, too. The advantage of scripting!

It's not just those, they were just examples that sprung to mind. Nintendo themselves seem to favour gameplay that doesn't push a CPU particularly hard. We can of course exclude JRPGs and strategy games since their pace inherently means that CPUs aren't terribly challenged. What open-world games have come from Japan? Those *would* test a CPU, but the only recent one that's particularly close that springs to mind is, well, Xenoblade, and that worked fine on a Wii.

As I said, it's only a theory, and it's somewhat tainted by my own tastes - but I can't off the top of my head think of a game from Japan that's to my tastes and CPU-intensive.

Nobody and I mean nobody looks at the power consumption of a console before buying it in a store. If they do they don't have enough money to buy the console in the first place.
I'm going to play devil's advocate here. Buying a green device is not about how much money you will save on your electricity bill. But the lower impact you will have on the environment. It's first world redemption for the shitty lives we lead "oh my 42 inch television is A rated".
Can't wait for the cafe emulator
Will the WiiU tablet even reckognise a PC as an interface device? It'd be interesting to see an astronomical rise in sales of the tablet after an emulator releases. /OT

Fabrik

Banned
Why bother posting in this thread if specs don't matter?

I'm trying to bring balance to the Force and remind people that only games matter?
Who is going to think about clock speed while playing Wonderful 101 or Bayonetta 2?
You should be interested in Wii U or not only for the upcoming games. The rest is just bullshit.
Third party are irrelevant on a Nintendo console since N64.

Shion

Nintendo wanted to service the 95 million Wii owners in the wild. From that perspective, I can understand the CPU decision and in a lot of ways, it was the right choice.

But man... that CPU choice is baffling. Multiplatform Wii U games are going to be interesting to watch over the next 12 months.
If Wii U doesn't flop, it's going to stay on the market at least until 2017, sacrificing performance so much for Wii BC is not a wise choice.

Wii is not a PS1/PS2 situation.

Wii is dead for 2 years now, the momentum just isn't there.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
While this news is slightly disappointing, I don't think everyone should be concerned or too worried. I mean if we can get amazing looking games like the Wonderful 101, NintendoLand, and ZombieU (not to mention the great looking games currently in their pipelines), then surely the state of game development shouldn't be too dire going forward. And this is just the beginning, I'm sure devs will be able to squeeze more juice out of this machine in due time.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but I will reiterate something I've said many times around the Wii's launch: third party devs must take a page out of Nintendo's first parties' book and focus on prioritizing style over polygon count. It's time to save costs, think outside the box, and give it an honest shot. Lest we forget "limitations can breed innovation."

The industry is on shaky grounds as is, we really can't afford any more unfeasible development cycles and another generational budget jump.

1.25 GHz, wtf??

How would this compare against top of the line ultraportable CPUs with a comparable TDP, out of curiosity?

Snap. I never even thought of that. That seems incredibly undemanding to emulate.

LOL, undemanding?

You currently need something like a third generation i5/i7 at ~4 GHz to run SMG and SMG2 without terrible sound problems.

Emulating this, though much more possible/probable than emulation PS3 is still a long way ahead. Unless someone codes an amazing emulator, lol.

Top Bottom