• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Nintendo had the chance to buy RARE when they were good for a very fair price. There is no chance in hell they'd ever consider it today.

The only companies I could ever see Nintendo picking up at this stage in the game are Sega if Sammy ever wanted to divest and possibly Tecmo-Koei.

Nintendo had the chance to buy RARE when they were good for a very fair price. There is no chance in hell they'd ever consider it today.

The only companies I could ever see Nintendo picking up at this stage in the game are Sega if Sammy ever wanted to divest and possibly Tecmo-Koei.
Nintendo buying Sega would be a bit of a double-edged sword from a gamer's perspective, IMO. On the one hand, it'd be sad to see the old ship sink as far as it would have to to reach that point (although in reality, they really are sinking pretty badly, hence the sudden digital download focus). On the other hand, Sega has tons of amazing franchises, and for them to suddenly be Nintendo's would be insanely exciting. A Nintendo-developed Sonic game. Nintendo-developed NiGHTS. Nintendo-developed Streets of Rage. Nintendo-developed Shining games (maybe they could convince Camelot to return to the helm). Nintendo-developed Panzer Dragoon (especially if they go all-out and make it like Saga).

Business-wise, though, I don't see Nintendo biting.

Jarsonot

It may also use the Wii mote nunchuck, its been said in the past that they rather show off games at trade shows using CC since its easier to step right into without adjusting settings and it wont have any interference with so many people around like the Wiimote.

Also it may use the regular Classic controller and Classic Control pro.

Right-o, good call. It read like it required it, though I should've figured that's not necessarily the case. That's good for my game budget! =)

Earendil

Nintendo buying Sega would be a bit of a double-edged sword from a gamer's perspective, IMO. On the one hand, it'd be sad to see the old ship sink as far as it would have to to reach that point (although in reality, they really are sinking pretty badly, hence the sudden digital download focus). On the other hand, Sega has tons of amazing franchises, and for them to suddenly be Nintendo's would be insanely exciting. A Nintendo-developed Sonic game. Nintendo-developed NiGHTS. Nintendo-developed Streets of Rage. Nintendo-developed Shining games (maybe they could convince Camelot to return to the helm). Nintendo-developed Panzer Dragoon (especially if they go all-out and make it like Saga).

Business-wise, though, I don't see Nintendo biting.

I heard a rumor to this effect a couple years ago. I doubt it will happen though.

ohlawd

lol Molyneux working at Nintendo. He'll just try his best to sabotage as much projects as he can before he gets fired. I will never understand that guy,

Nintendo-developed NiGHTS. .

Was the Saturn iteration of NiGHTS really good? I bought the Wii version after hearing about Nintendo Power (perhaps my first mistake) rave about it, and it might be the most unpleasant experience I've ever had with a video games. I enjoy many games while I play them, and it's not usually until I've beaten it that I assess their faults. However, I could not understand NiGHTS' appeal at all.

And that is, honesty, all that matters. Rare's curent talent isn't bad by any mens, but talent is not really the main issue. What would benefit banjo-kazooie is to have Nintendo's direction back.

And Nibel, I cry for the games/characters. You cannot imagine how HARD I want Banjo and Kazooie in a smash game, for example.

Meh, forget about Banjo and Kazooie - I want another Conker game!!!

Would certainly be a way for Nintendo to step away from the 'kiddy' image. Mind you, the Wii had the only game banned before getting ruined by censorship (Manhunt 2 Uncut is excellent, the way the game was meant to be played!) and a game (House of The Dead Overkill) that held the World Record for the most swearwords in a video game until Mafia 2 just pipped it.

I'm really hoping for a sequel to Overkill, it was a real blast to play and the soundtrack was fantastic!!!

I want to see more on-rails shooters next gen, I love them. A real shame that Midway are buggered because I'd pay ridiculous amounts of money to play CarnEvil again.

We used to play Bad Fur Day's multiplayer "Beach" until our thumbs bled. So very very good. I can still hear the Frenchies' screams.

SO good. About the only multiplayer mode that I played nonstop with my friends. Was turned off by the Xbox version when they took it out.

EuroMIX

These days I'd be worried about foolish parents buying it for their children thinking that a game involving a squirrel couldn't be that bad and getting Nintendo into trouble (working on the hypothetical idea of Nintendo owning the franchise).

I'll admit that I personally never played a Conker game, only as him in Diddy Kong Racing (which to this day I preferred to Mario Kart 64), but I've played and enjoyed Banjo Kazooie. I think that it's a damn shame that such a fantastic platformer series never saw true glory past its N64 days. I'd be happy for Nintendo to buy that franchise alone and set a decent developer on making a worthwhile sequel, not that it'd ever happen.

Pineconn

These days I'd be worried about foolish parents buying it for their children thinking that a game involving a squirrel couldn't be that bad and getting Nintendo into trouble (working on the hypothetical idea of Nintendo owning the franchise).

esrb_m_mature5.jpg

If parents buy their kids a mature game, it's their own darn fault. (So says the ESRB, PEGI, etc.)

EuroMIX

Doesn't stop parents for, one reason or the other, caving in and buying the latest 18 rated Call of Duty game for their kids and then blaming the game or society for the effects it may or may not have on them.

japtor

Was the Saturn iteration of NiGHTS really good? I bought the Wii version after hearing about Nintendo Power (perhaps my first mistake) rave about it, and it might be the most unpleasant experience I've ever had with a video games. I enjoy many games while I play them, and it's not usually until I've beaten it that I assess their faults. However, I could not understand NiGHTS' appeal at all.
Well it's all (or mostly) the flying gameplay (but smoother iirc, plus tricks and other little details to the gameplay) so if you liked that part you might like the Saturn one. The issue with the Wii one is that they added so much extra shit on top of it to the point where only a little of the game is the actual Nights gameplay people wanted. It's like height of Sega being Sega (kind of arcadey) vs...whatever the hell the Wii one was.

onilink88

Something that might interest some of you. This lighting demo from AMD has been posted a few times in these threads before. It's the Leo demo using the GPU for lighting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYweEn6DFcU

While doing some random searching I came across this interesting little tidbit.

At GDC this year, we asked AMD to explain the GPU compute functions in Leo, and as you can see, they did. Instead of globally computing illumination, Leo breaks the screen up into 32*32 pixel tiles, a bit over 2000 of them for a 1080p screen, an then uses compute functions to figure out which lights are visible in which tile. This obviously drops the lighting workload per tile by a massive amount and takes very little GPU time too.

This is interesting, as it brought to mind something AlStrong said way back in SP2 (in regards to the lighting in the Garden demo):

AlStrong said:
Most likely deferred lighting light probes (perhaps baked GI, probing the scene information in some grid fashion so it can determine how to light up a dynamic object). Here the lighting has rather crazy jumps in values as the bird moves across the scene.

Am I mistaken, or is he, like, spot on here? D:

Lyude77

esrb_m_mature5.jpg

If parents buy their kids a mature game, it's their own darn fault. (So says the ESRB, PEGI, etc.)

I remember going into Blockbuster as a kid and being interested in Conker/wondering why in the world it was Mature, haha. I think it had a sticker on it too like "not for children" or something.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Buying IPs individually may have been investigated but I doubt that too. GoldenEye is Activision, apparently. Perfect Dark isn't lucrative either after PD Zero. Banjo Kazooie? Eh, it really doesn't do anything that a 3D Mario can't do. Diddy Kong Racing is simply a more ambitious version of Mario Kart, and they own the rights to Diddy anyway. Obviously the same goes for Donkey Kong (Country) and Star Fox (Adventures). As someone who enjoyed Conker, a new Conker game would be cool, but surely Nintendo views that IP as worthless too since that sold poorly.

Pretty much. Rare's IPs are only as valuable as the game designed around them, and at the moment Rare's IPs have no sway in today's market. They're valueless, in that there's absolutely no reason games of equality quality and content couldn't be made using new IPs through different developers.

I love Perfect Dark, but a Perfect Dark-esque game could easily be made through Retro or a collaboration with a US or European based independent developer. Actually having the 'PERFECT DARK' brand wouldn't really help matters. It's a dead IP from two generations ago.

The next Nintendo direct will be the next event to see some Wii U. I'm feeling this. Everyone is on vacation.

Yup more than likely. It seems Nintendo wants to control all aspects of information on the Wii U. It's best to just assume this to keep expectations in check. Any other leaks/info will come as a pleasant surprise.

TunaLover

I hope that they work in the battery life, 3 hours is too short.
Also I wish Nintendo could embrace the hollywood esque games, not with its internal studios (that's extremely unlikely) instead a western studio and Nintendo throwing the money, it will not happen I know, but I wish it will.

Terrell

In the interest of speculation, I think the question is more fun when stated as "If Nintendo decided to go on a spending spree, which developers would it be most advantageous for them to purchase".

I mean, obviously due to size fan favourites like Sega* and Valve are right out due to being very expensive. Rovio would be pretty interesting, but the price tag would be pretty hefty, likely much higher than the company's current value. I'd love it if they bought that UK division from Crytek, since they have positive history with Nintendo and are
currently devalued
. It would be epic if Nintendo basically farmed all the big recent Kickstarter successes and nabbed them on the cheap, as they'd end up successful even if a small minority of the purchases ended up with solid sellers (also Super Mario Crossover the eshop, woohoo!)

I don't know if Sega is off the table. It's argued that Sammy bought Sega not for its IP catalog or its developers or even its publishing business but for its arcade distribution and entertainment center business, which it had a vested interest in as a pachinko company.

If Nintendo came in and basically let Sammy keep Sega's publishing arm to do as they saw fit with it and all of the arcade business, but took everything else... y'know, the part that Sammy doesn't know what the fuck to do with anyways, I think they'd agree to those terms, especially since Sega Sammy's "home entertainment division" has been losing them the most money while all its other business branches post MUCH better numbers. Make for an easier sale than you realize.

Wait a minute. Didn't Iwata say during a past interview or shareholders conference that they weren't going to buy any more studios outright? I'm pretty sure I remember him saying that Nintendo now prefers to go into publishing deals with other developers (like how they're publishing P-100 for Platinum) rather than buy them outright in order to avoid talent leak like when two of the main Metroid Prime guys left Retro.

If that's how it is, what I'd really want to know is what other developers (i.e. Western) would it be best for Nintendo to enter publishing deals with?

I've said it before, and I think the big thing with Nintendo is that, if such a thing were to happen, they would do it if the talent they're acquiring is actually on-board with the move, like it was with Monolith Soft. From what little you hear from them, they basically retained almost the entire team in the changeover because all of the design leads WANTED to make it happen.

Nintendo is also a different animal in Japan than it is here and is greatly respected in the game industry there, which is why you see things like the Namco Bandai Smash Bros. collaboration. Nintendo is a company that new talent wants to work at, as well, which is why they have the lowest staff turn-over out of most, if not all, of the other devs and publishers in Japan and get their pick of college grads.

So yeah, I think they could and should pick up Sega. Platinum and Mistwalker aren't out of the realm of possibility, either.
The trick is, of course, Nintendo wouldn't act on them unless the talent wants it to happen, so it's a kind of wait and see approach.

ASIS

All this talk about reviving games has me thinking of Geist. Now the game wasn't spectacular by any means but it had a pretty awesome premise, I would love it if someone actually manages to make a sequel that is worth a damn for the Wii U.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Meh, forget about Banjo and Kazooie - I want another Conker game!!!

Would certainly be a way for Nintendo to step away from the 'kiddy' image.

More adults play Wii Fit and Wii Sports than would ever play Conker. Conker is tastelessly juvenile and more fit for a small niche audience who would play a squirrel platformer with poop references. The kiddy image is a passe argument after Nintendo sold more software to adults (Wii Fit, Wii Sports, Brain Age, English Training, Cooking Guide, NSMB) than anyone else.

Nintendo is also a different animal in Japan than it is here and is greatly respected in the game industry there, which is why you see things like the Namco Bandai Smash Bros. collaboration. Nintendo is a company that new talent wants to work at, as well, which is why they have the lowest staff turn-over out of most, if not all, of the other devs and publishers in Japan and get their pick of college grads.

So yeah, I think they could and should pick up Sega. Platinum and Mistwalker aren't out of the realm of possibility, either.
The trick is, of course, Nintendo wouldn't act on them unless the talent wants it to happen, so it's a kind of wait and see approach.

Not sure what you mean by the Namco-Bandai "collaboration" and respect. It's more like a developer getting a lucrative contract from a publisher to help develop a game. With most Japanese developers struggling to sell software, anyone would jump at the chance at a guaranteed lucrative contract to develop two games with zero risk to them.

Nintendo buying SEGA would make zero sense. What are they supposed to do spend money developing Altered Beast and Outrun? Cool games for small budget DRM stuff but they equate to zero revenue in a full production retail sense. Even Sonic The Hedgehog, it's like why spend money outside when most of the first-party ips you already own comfortably have been outselling it. Nintendo doesn't need to buy ips that are not selling in the first-place. Their only weakness is the inability to localize enough games, and equally produce enough games of Western origin or interest. SEGA or Platinum address none of their weaknesses.

AJSousuke

All this talk about reviving games has me thinking of Geist. Now the game wasn't spectacular by any means but it had a pretty awesome premise, I would love it if someone actually manages to make a sequel that is worth a damn for the Wii U.

YES YES YES!

I enjoyed a lot that game. The U pad could be great for the possession mechanics.

The NDA on everything WiiU has been military class security, when you think about it, it's just mental. In fact, I think they've managed to control information more than government can. Its insane. They demanded so much respect from everyone involved in the hardware and games.

Meelow

Banned
The NDA on everything WiiU has been military class security, when you think about it, it's just mental. In fact, I think they've managed to control information more than government can. Its insane. They demanded so much respect from everyone involved in the hardware and games.

Nintendo just crazy like that, they clearly have something in their sleeve that will be big it's just nobody knows what it is...It's hard waiting for news with Nintendo, I think it could be easier to get into Area 51 than Nintendo secret plan room.

ugoo18

Nintendo just crazy like that, they clearly have something in their sleeve that will be big it's just nobody knows what it is...It's hard waiting for news with Nintendo, I think it could be easier to get into Area 51 than Nintendo secret plan room.

Bigger than a controller with a touch screen?

Meelow

Banned
Bigger than a controller with a touch screen?

Maybe, their has to be a reason Nintendo is so "we can't tell you yet!" and it can't be because they are scared Sony and Microsoft might copy, even with the Wii they where less secretive up at the same point, we knew much more about the Wii in Summer 2006 than we know about the Wii U in Summer 2012, I feel E3 gave us a tease of the Wii U.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I doubt there's anything 'big' left to reveal (games aside, which is an obvious ongoing thing), so much as information on the unknowns.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
It is indeed frustrating but by no means would I draw any parallels to military class security (well, at least if talking US, UK or Russia). NoA's security is ok but their rather badly chosen location (same for Microsoft Studios) makes it possible to with not too much effort infiltrate the company, and the roads there are most suitable for a quick getaway should be deemed necessary. Nintendo of Europe on the other hand has excellent security. Of course, I'm just making small talk, I'm not suggesting anything. No need to worry.

Now there's the First Quarter Earnings Release on the 25th of July to look forward to, as well as the September conference. And eventual Nintendo Direct broadcasts, there's should be one in August, right?

What more don't we know about Wii U? I think we know the hardware in general (not counting the specifications, of course, but Nintendo obviously doesn't deem them important). I think the only things left for Nintendo to reveal is the online infrastructure. Perhaps more Miiverse information will be divulged, but I don't think we'll see any secret functions.

I think the biggest megaton will come from games in development.

Meelow

Banned
Rösti;40113825 said:
It is indeed frustrating but by no means would I draw any parallels to military class security (well, at least if talking US, UK or Russia). NoA's security is ok but their rather badly chosen location (same for Microsoft Studios) makes it possible to with not too much effort infiltrate the company, and the roads there are most suitable for a quick getaway should be deemed necessary. Nintendo of Europe on the other hand has excellent security. Of course, I'm just making small talk, I'm not suggesting anything. No need to worry.

Now there's the First Quarter Earnings Release on the 25th of July to look forward to, as well as the September conference. And eventual Nintendo Direct broadcasts, there's should be one in August, right?

Oh yeah, I forgot about the First Quarter Earning Release, hopefully they give us some good news.

September Conference is slowly becoming the new E3

Pretty much, their is no way Nintendo can hide anymore up until that point, hopefully Nintendo's Fall Conference 2012 is as epic as E3 2006 and 2010, I just want it to be the E3 everyone wanted and NOT the E3 we got.

What more don't we know about Wii U? I think we know the hardware in general (not counting the specifications, of course, but Nintendo obviously doesn't deem them important). I think the only things left for Nintendo to reveal is the online infrastructure. Perhaps more Miiverse information will be divulged, but I don't think we'll see any secret functions.

We don't know about the VC/eShop, Nintendo Network, what software/apps will come with Wii U, Boxart, and stuff like that.

We don't know about the VC/eShop, Nintendo Network, what software/apps will come with Wii U, Boxart, and stuff like that.

Right, but none of that will compare to games.

However, I do admit that I have a weird curiosity about things like that. Before E3, I wanted to hear about Nintendo Network, the OS, and final console design more than I wanted to hear about games.

stupidvillager

Neo Member

No joke. If gaming ends up not working out, they could become a private security firm and contract out to other corporations or governments.

Agreed. Any new potentially big surprise will be on the software side (including OS). I am very curious about their online. They need to get it right if they are serious about capturing more of the "core" gaming audience. I think it will be a bigger factor than graphical capabilities.

ugoo18

Pretty much, their is no way Nintendo can hide anymore up until that point, hopefully Nintendo's Fall Conference 2012 is as epic as E3 2006 and 2010, I just want it to be the E3 everyone wanted and NOT the E3 we got.

Hopefully we see the games that where pulled or simply didn't show up at last E3 (Namely Project Cars, i could have sworn that i read somewhere about Slightly Mad Studios showing off the WiiU version at E3 this year).

Am i crazy to expect a tiny bit of SSB4 news since Namco is now assisting and Sakurai said they already had a working version...

Agreed. Any new potentially big surprise will be on the software side (including OS). I am very curious about their online. They need to get it right if they are serious about capturing more of the "core" gaming audience. I think it will be a bigger factor than graphical capabilities.

I'm very interested in seeing the other half of the OS. I hope it's more than just an upgraded Wii Menu. I'm even interested in seeing other silly details like the new Mii application.

I definitely hope Nintendo allows us to invite friends to watch our games. That would be awesome. I also hope that Wii U has a proper start-up sequence.

I know, it's bloody mental lol. I've been gaming since Binatone Pong in the 70s (I'm an old git) so I've experienced over 30 years of gaming and I've never seen anything like it. Unbelievable.

With regards to partnerships I'd pay good money to see Nintendo and Bethesda working together on either an exclusive Fallout game or perhaps a timed exclusive that will come to the PS4 and 720 next year. A new Fallout game with the Pip-Boy in the palm of your hands...

*Drools*

Terrell

Not sure what you mean by the Namco-Bandai "collaboration" and respect. It's more like a developer getting a lucrative contract from a publisher to help develop a game. With most Japanese developers struggling to sell software, anyone would jump at the chance at a guaranteed lucrative contract to develop two games with zero risk to them.

Namco Bandai could just as easily get lucrative contracts with Sony and Microsoft, if they so chose. But from what we know so far, it seems Namco Bandai made the first move and reached out to Nintendo, not the other way around. It happened because of the relationships Nintendo has built with the developer community in Japan.

Nintendo buying SEGA would make zero sense. What are they supposed to do spend money developing Altered Beast and Outrun? Cool games for small budget DRM stuff but they equate to zero revenue in a full production retail sense. Even Sonic The Hedgehog, it's like why spend money outside when most of the first-party ips you already own comfortably have been outselling it. Nintendo doesn't need to buy ips that are not selling in the first-place. Their only weakness is the inability to localize enough games, and equally produce enough games of Western origin or interest. SEGA or Platinum address none of their weaknesses.

What "gaps" did Monolith fill? Nintendo had Intelligent Systems and (to a lesser extent) HAL Laboratory and Brownie Brown to make RPGs, most of which were "handily outselling" Xenosaga.

And I don't see Nintendo making games like Jet Set Radio, Virtual On, Gunstar Heroes, Virtua Cop, Yakuza, Space Channel 5 (well, one can argue Rhythm Heaven shares similarities)...

It's about diversification within the same genres and presentational differences. This is like asking why Disney would buy Marvel and how it makes "zero sense". Except a Sega IP/talent acquisition makes MORE sense than the Disney/Marvel deal.

And picking up the IPs that Sega Sammy doesn't see fit to do anything with anymore because they have terrible IP management can only be a good thing.

This isn't even bringing up Platinum.

EatChildren

Platinum addresses pretty significant weakness in Nintendo's genre and franchise line-up, simply due to doing a collective of games Nintendo doesn't. Even if their games sell shitty.

But Nintendo won't buy them. Nintendo wont buy anyone. They'd rather do collaborations on a per game basis.

Terrell

Platinum addresses pretty significant weakness in Nintendo's genre and franchise line-up, simply due to doing a collective of games Nintendo doesn't. Even if their games sell shitty.

But Nintendo won't buy them. Nintendo wont buy anyone. They'd rather do collaborations on a per game basis.

Once again, MONOLITH.

Nintendo will invest the money if the talent wants to join the Nintendo team and the deal can be struck, simple as that. Well... assuming that having both of those things happen would be "simple", anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom