• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoo-doo

Banned
The NDA on everything WiiU has been military class security, when you think about it, it's just mental. In fact, I think they've managed to control information more than government can. Its insane. They demanded so much respect from everyone involved in the hardware and games.

I remember when everyone was saying exactly this months and months before E3.
Why do this to yourselves over and over again.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Once again, MONOLITH.

Nintendo will invest the money if the talent wants to join the Nintendo team and the deal can be struck, simple as that. Well... assuming that having both of those things happen would be "simple", anyways.

Nintendo bought majority shares in Monolith five years ago. Since then Iwata has stated disinterest in acquisitions versus temporary partnerships and collaborations, due to experiences with second parties in the past and the risks total acquisition runs, such talented staff leaving.

You're unlikely to see Nintendo make any significant studio purchases any time in the near or distant future. What they're more likely to do is engage in per game collaborations that ensure partnerships with talented staff suited to specific projects, with far fewer long term risks. For new studios, they're more likely to invest in their own start-up studios, or expand existing studios (see: Monolith) rather than outright buy existing ones.

AzaK

Nintendo just crazy like that, they clearly have something in their sleeve that will be big it's just nobody knows what it is...It's hard waiting for news with Nintendo, I think it could be easier to get into Area 51 than Nintendo secret plan room.

The only thing they could have now is game announcements because that's what we're having a hard time getting info on. Unless they only have a few titles more to announce (and so need some padding), why hold back on the ones we know about?

Sadist

I remember when everyone was saying exactly this months and months before E3.
Why do this to yourselves over and over again.
Because it's the truth. NDA's, secret games that might not exist, hardware surprise, online or whatever; Nintendo keeps a tight lid on everything. Even on announced projects you don't hear a lot from first or third party developers. It's just an odd situation all together.

I mean, there are a few press members who actually know about other stuff but can't discuss it: Shane Satterfield talked about Wii U, buying AC III for it and maybe another Wii U launch title, but he couldn't discuss that because it wasn't announced yet.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Because it's the truth. NDA's, secret games that might not exist, hardware surprise, online or whatever; Nintendo keeps a tight lid on everything. Even on announced projects you don't hear a lot from first or third party developers. It's just an odd situation all together.

I mean, there are a few press members who actually know about other stuff but can't discuss it: Shane Satterfield talked about Wii U, buying AC III for it and maybe another Wii U launch title, but he couldn't discuss that because it wasn't announced yet.

Oh i'm sure there's NDA's. But I have a feeling people are way, way overestimating the stuff that's covered in those NDA's.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Platinum addresses pretty significant weakness in Nintendo's genre and franchise line-up, simply due to doing a collective of games Nintendo doesn't. Even if their games sell shitty.

But Nintendo won't buy them. Nintendo wont buy anyone. They'd rather do collaborations on a per game basis.

Yeah I agree. I think a Sega like deal with Platinum would be good for Nintendo.

Platinum addresses pretty significant weakness in Nintendo's genre and franchise line-up, simply due to doing a collective of games Nintendo doesn't. Even if their games sell shitty.

But Nintendo won't buy them. Nintendo wont buy anyone. They'd rather do collaborations on a per game basis.

I wish they would negotiate a contract for a couple of exclusive games, since Sega is now done with them. Like the Capcom 5 back on the GCN.

Pretty much, their is no way Nintendo can hide anymore up until that point, hopefully Nintendo's Fall Conference 2012 is as epic as E3 2006 and 2010, I just want it to be the E3 everyone wanted and NOT the E3 we got.

No. Just no. Announcements that made these E3s great will stay at E3 (Zelda, Donkey Kong,...), but they obviously don't have anything on that scale ready. They aren't hiding anyting, nor preparing plans to abandon E3. They simply don't have anything. It's time to face it.
When they had these terrible E3 showings in 2007 and 2008, the fall conferences were a nice relief, iirc due to announcements like Another Code 2, PunchOut, WiiWare, Sonic in Brawl, etc., also Fire Emblem 3DS and Monster Hunter in the recent ones, but obviously nothing that would replicate a reasonable launch E3.

nordique

Nintendo bought majority shares in Monolith five years ago. Since then Iwata has stated disinterest in acquisitions versus temporary partnerships and collaborations, due to experiences with second parties in the past and the risks total acquisition runs, such talented staff leaving.

You're unlikely to see Nintendo make any significant studio purchases any time in the near or distant future. What they're more likely to do is engage in per game collaborations that ensure partnerships with talented staff suited to specific projects, with far fewer long term risks. For new studios, they're more likely to invest in their own start-up studios, or expand existing studios (see: Monolith) rather than outright buy existing ones.

This.

People should take the idea in this post as closer to the truth over these ridiculous RARE re-buyout fabrications

Antagon

Hope Project p-100 is the start of a bigger cooperation between Nintendo and Platinum. Personally I wouldn't be surprised if Kamiya gets his wish and gets to do a Starfox afterwards.

Meelow

Banned
I wish they would negotiate a contract for a couple of exclusive games, since Sega is now done with them. Like the Capcom 5 back on the GCN.

No. Just no. Announcements that made these E3s great will stay at E3 (Zelda, Donkey Kong,...), but they obviously don't have anything on that scale ready. They aren't hiding anyting, nor preparing plans to abandon E3. They simply don't have anything. It's time to face it.
When they had these terrible E3 showings in 2007 and 2008, the fall conferences were a nice relief, iirc due to announcements like Another Code 2, PunchOut, WiiWare, Sonic in Brawl, etc., also Fire Emblem 3DS and Monster Hunter in the recent ones, but obviously nothing that would replicate a reasonable launch E3.

But do you really see Nintendo making E3 as amazing?, you can already see Microsoft doesn't care much about E3 they just go because they pretty much have too, and Nintendo is starting to make Nintendo Direct their own E3, and Nintendo's Fall Conference 2011 was also amazing, with tons of announcements.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I mean, there's nothing really stopping Nintendo from doing it, and you can never say never, but I do think it's incredibly unlikely to see another buyout from Nintendo.

They know the risks and they don't seem to think they're worth it. The shit they've gone through with Retro over the last few years adds to that. Plus they've spent quite a bit growing Monolith into a bigger studio.

I'd really like to see them expand Retro, doubling their size to give them a stronger studio adopting Western design philosophies. I honestly feel, in terms of capturing the 'core gamer', Nintendo's absence of this kind of studio hurts them a lot in the US, somewhere Sony and Microsoft excel quite greatly. Diversity is important and though they're doing well in Japan, Western development is the weakest link. Larger European expansion would be excellent too, but this is Nintendo so baby steps :p.

japtor

Maybe, their has to be a reason Nintendo is so "we can't tell you yet!" and it can't be because they are scared Sony and Microsoft might copy, even with the Wii they where less secretive up at the same point, we knew much more about the Wii in Summer 2006 than we know about the Wii U in Summer 2012, I feel E3 gave us a tease of the Wii U.
Cause the Wii U won't be on sale for a few 3-4 more months and the news cycle works quickly these days, it's not necessary to announce everything this far ahead.
No joke. If gaming ends up not working out, they could become a private security firm and contract out to other corporations or governments.
Apple could use some help watching the factories in Asia.
Hope Project p-100 is the start of a bigger cooperation between Nintendo and Platinum. Personally I wouldn't be surprised if Kamiya gets his wish and gets to do a Starfox afterwards.
Yeah I've been hoping for that ever since it was revealed it was him working on it.

The recent Nintendo Directs showed more than Nintendo's E3 Conference. They definitely have more titles in the works, and they specifically focused on launch at E3. We've already heard that Nintendo plans to announce 2013 games at their Fall Conference.

Terrell

And I remember Nintendo saying the same thing more than 5 years ago before the Monolith acquisition.

I'm not saying they're just going to go on a blind spending spree. As everyone keeps saying when they state Nintendo won't do acquisitions, their #1 concern is always talent bleed. If they can achieve a scenario where talent bleed doesn't happen, like they did with Monolith, it WILL happen again.

Are more partnership deals like Game Freak and AlphaDream more possible to happen first? ABSOLUTELY. I mean, AlphaDream basically belongs to Nintendo without the need to spend money on them, so an acquisition is meaningless in such a scenario. Independent studios are easier to just have contracts with instead.

Hence why my focus on acquisitions involve studios who need to be de-coupled from an existing parent company and negotiations of IPs that may come with the package or would be needed with the package to keep the talent on board.

AzaK

I'd really like to see them expand Retro, doubling their size to give them a stronger studio adopting Western design philosophies. I honestly feel, in terms of capturing the 'core gamer', Nintendo's absence of this kind of studio hurts them a lot in the US, somewhere Sony and Microsoft excel quite greatly. Diversity is important and though they're doing well in Japan, Western development is the weakest link. Larger European expansion would be excellent too, but this is Nintendo so baby steps :p.

Agreed. They have the studio, now make it bigger and better to expend into a market they typically don't excel in.

But do you really see Nintendo making E3 as amazing?, you can already see Microsoft doesn't care much about E3 they just go because they pretty much have too, and Nintendo is starting to make Nintendo Direct their own E3, and Nintendo's Fall Conference 2011 was also amazing, with tons of announcements.
The recent Nintendo Directs showed more than Nintendo's E3 Conference. They definitely have more titles in the works, and they specifically focused on launch at E3. We've already heard that Nintendo plans to announce 2013 games at their Fall Conference.

Apart from the 3DSXL, anything exclusive to the directs was rather minor, mostly localisation confirmations. I'll be super happy if Iwata makes a repeat of other events of the same kind and comes out with the more niche stuff in the vein of Project Zero and Sin & Punishment, even more so as a European who doesn't have to suffer under ,,only million sellers are worth it''-Reggie, but really there won't be anything of E3 calibre. No surprise announcements of Metroid and Donkey Kong that were hidden in favor of only highlighting supposed launch window games at the conference last month. It would have been at E3, it certainly isn't as worthless as you think all of a sudden. Miyamoto also said when his new IP is ready, it would be revealed at the next E3 specifically. Many of the most important announcements are still going to be revealed there, you can only be disappointed again if you are expecting a repeat of 2010 in september, lol.
I'd happily eat crow, but I just don't feel it anymore honestly.

chris3116

Apart from the 3DSXL, anything exclusive to the directs was rather minor, mostly localisation confirmations. I'll be super happy if Iwata makes a repeat of other events of the same kind and comes out with the more niche stuff in the vein of Project Zero and Sin & Punishment, even more so as a European who doesn't have to suffer under ,,only million sellers are worth it''-Reggie, but really there won't be anything of E3 calibre. No surprise announcements of Metroid and Donkey Kong that were hidden in favor of only highlighting supposed launch window games at the conference last month. It would have been at E3, it certainly isn't as worthless as you think all of a sudden. Miyamoto also said when his new IP is ready, it would be revealed at the next E3 specifically. Many of the most important announcements are still going to be revealed there, you can only be disappointed again if you are expecting a repeat of 2010 in september, lol.

I can name you 2 news on Nintendo direct that could be E3 calibre : The reveal of New Super Mario Bros 2 and Namco making Super Smash Bros WiiU/3DS. Nintendo reveals more things (release dates, trailers, price, features) on these small events than on E3. E3 is now a mainstream press event. That's why all big 3 conferences was mainly for casuals.

The next Nintendo Direct will be for Wii U (release dates, price, more 3rd party games,...). I would not be surpised to see a Nintendo direct for the eShop games eventually.

So yeah, you're going to eat crow.

RedSwirl

It all makes sense! That's why Kamiya took the deal with Nintendo!

I mean, there's nothing really stopping Nintendo from doing it, and you can never say never, but I do think it's incredibly unlikely to see another buyout from Nintendo.

They know the risks and they don't seem to think they're worth it. The shit they've gone through with Retro over the last few years adds to that. Plus they've spent quite a bit growing Monolith into a bigger studio.

This is exactly what I've been thinking. A good way for them to try to capture the western core gamer (and then hopefully more western third party support) would be, at the very least, per-game collabs with those studios. Beyond that it's just a question of which ones.

I can name you 2 news on Nintendo direct that could be E3 calibre : The reveal of New Super Mario Bros 2 and Namco making Super Smash Bros WiiU/3DS. Nintendo reveals more things (release dates, trailers, price, features) on these small events than on E3. E3 is now a mainstream press event. That's why all big 3 conferences was mainly for casuals.

The next Nintendo Direct will be for Wii U (release dates, price, more 3rd party games,...). I would not be surpised to see a Nintendo direct for the eShop games eventually.

I approve of this response :)

YES YES YES!

I enjoyed a lot that game. The U pad could be great for the possession mechanics.

Care to expand on that a bit? I'm curious about how you think it might work.

Give me Civ Revolution 2. Not gonna happen, I know... :(

Given the naming and what happened this generation, the followup will probably be named Civilization Cafe, and it will be for PlayStation 4, Durango, 3DS and mobile platforms.

Smash Bros would have been, if it also had a trailer or other material coming alongside. Instead, it solely was the aftermath of the botched E3 announcement from last year.

Anyhow, release dates and price have to be done obviously, so how would that be an equivalent of the 2006/2010 press conferences, which is for some reason expected by some of you? Many of the 2013 games could very well be the E3 games again and Japanese 3rd party support must pretty much contain most PS360 games on the horizon to make up for the ridiculous Batman showing and Reggie having a meltdown over being called out for highlighting old games :lol (and straight out lying)
Hey, I'll be happy with similar announcements to the past, things like Sin & Punishment 2, all I need from 3rds right now is Metal Gear Rising, but reading some expectations here feels ridiculous. The E3 level stuff that is suggested would be on par with Donkey Kong, Metroid, 3D Mario, etc.. Now way things like this would be taken away from E3 for the sake of not-so-big events later, often also rather focusing on the Japanese market.
,E3 is for the casuals now' has been an excuse everytime it was underwhelming in this gen, but then there was still substantial showings afterwards. 2010 really isn't that long ago, c'mon...
But if that's what you want to believe, cool. I know I rather want to back off the hype train after such an E3 to prevent any more frustration.

I don't necessarily think we won't see big announcements at E3 anymore. I was only addressing your notion that Nintendo didn't show anything at E3 because they had nothing to show. Nintendo does seem to be putting more and more announcements on Nintendo Directs, though. They had absolutely no reason to mention Smash Bros. at all, but they did.

Armchair analyst acquisitions?

Take-Two Interactive - current market cap ~$850M USD. Little overlap with Nintendo's properties.

Assuming a 30% average buyout premium, making them a wholly owned subsidiary would cost them around $1.1B, or roughly ¥86B of Nintendo's ¥462B in cash.

Do it, Nintendo.

daakusedo

From a nintendo rep, no wiiu news until an unspecified date, can only guess the september nintendo direct. After that hostilities begin.
Seems we're going for a slow summer.
And of course I don't know more, that was a goddamn discussion at a videogame store, second time in years I heard a rep casually talking with the store manager.

Meelow

Banned
From a nintendo rep, no wiiu news until an unspecified date, can only guess the september nintendo direct. After that hostilities begin.
Seems we're going for a slow summer.
And of course I don't know more, that was a goddamn discussion at a videogame store, second time in years I heard a rep casually talking with the store manager.

Well actually the Nintendo Direct should be on August 21 and the Fall Conference should be in September.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Well actually the Nintendo Direct should be on August 21 and the Fall Conference should be in September.

Right, which is why I am not 100% sure the Nintendo Direct will be Wii U focused. They might hold back everything for the September conference.

Meelow

Banned
Right, which is why I am not 100% sure the Nintendo Direct will be Wii U focused. They might hold back everything for the September conference.

I think they will talk about the VC, and Nintendo Network and stuff like that, they will probably save the games for the Fall Conference.

The guy at my local Gametop was telling me that there's supposed to be a Nintendo UK announcement in a couple of weeks... Did a quick search but couldn't find anything. Was he making this up?

Aguila

#ICONIC

Can we start the hype train.

xvkul.jpg

The guy at my local Gametop was telling me that there's supposed to be a Nintendo UK announcement in a couple of weeks... Did a quick search but couldn't find anything. Was he making this up?

Why would a local guy at a Gamestop know anymore than people here? Is he one of those "my uncle works for Nintendo" kind of guys?

I also did a search and didn't find anything either.....just to be sure :p

Pineconn

Ugh. The hype train. Don't get me back* on. D:

*Technically this would be my first, but you guys baited me before E3. I was a lurker...

Ugh. The hype train. Don't get me back* on. D:

*Technically this would be my first, but you guys baited me before E3. I was a lurker...

The Hype Train never stopped my friend, it just slowed down after so many passengers jumped off and the Captain issued a warning to the engineer to not take so many quick turns.

It has become obvious that Nintendo is going to make their own hype and press releases the way they want and no E3 presentation expectations are going to dictate to them what they are going to show.

Nintendo Direct > E3

It's sad that here it is after E3 and a gif I thought about making would still be appropriate today.

You should change your name to bggravedigger.

Only sloppy amateurs leave evidence like that.

This is interesting, as it brought to mind something AlStrong said way back in SP2 (in regards to the lighting in the Garden demo):

Am I mistaken, or is he, like, spot on here? D:

I think he's talking about something kind of different. But that's based on what I've read on what he's talking about.

Hoodbury

No, but it will be, Nintendo Direct is every 2 months, the last one was on June 21st so the next one will be August 21.

I don't think they are on any set schedule but happen whenever they want them to. The last one was just last week wasn't it? On the new 3DS brain age game. Plus there was 1 the day before e3 and then another one a couple weeks after it right?

Where did you get that they happen exactly every 2 months?

I don't think they are on any set schedule but happen whenever they want them to. The last one was just last week wasn't it? On the new 3DS brain age game. Plus there was 1 the day before e3 and then another one a couple weeks after it right?

Someone listed all of the dates and it showed the "main one" happened every two months. Based on that timeline late August would be the next ND.

Take-Two Interactive - current market cap ~$850M USD. Little overlap with Nintendo's properties.

Assuming a 30% average buyout premium, making them a wholly owned subsidiary would cost them around $1.1B, or roughly ¥86B of Nintendo's ¥462B in cash.

Do it, Nintendo.

I've always thought they should buy THQ, decent developers in their stable and strong Western IPs too.

Nintendo needs to just stick with partnerships. Their style (while successful) is too rigid for most devs to work for them in a 1st party capacity.

Meelow

Banned

What bgassassin said, the one we just had was focused on one game so that isn't the main Nintendo Direct, we also had a Nintendo Direct a few weeks ago focused on a soccer game coming to 3DS, the main one should be on August 21.

AzaK

Do it, Nintendo.

Now *THAT* would be a megaton.

I can't imagine how much the Houser brothers and other top guys at Rockstar would hate working for Nintendo and Take-Two could be pretty useless without the talent at Rockstar.

Luigiv

I've always thought they should buy THQ, decent developers in their stable and strong Western IPs too.

The problem with buying out THQ is that it also so means buying out THQ's debt. Given that Nintendo currently has zero debt, I don't think they want to buy debt.

Nintendo needs to just stick with partnerships. Their style (while successful) is too rigid for most devs to work for them in a 1st party capacity.

I agree, I mean look at the bitch of a time Retro Studios had with Metroid Prime 1, didn't they have to remake the game from scratch after Miyamoto came by and basically said redo this and redo that?

Not that I'm complaining since obviously it turned out to be one of the best games of all time, but for partnering up with other companies for first party games it's probably not going to work most of the time for most developers and Nintendo.

jacksrb

Yet another small step in the Shane Satterfield (EIC @ GameTrailers) Wii U launch lineup saga. Note that I like Shane and find this all curious but generally encouraging.

Step 1 (spring-ish) - Shane says on Invisible Walls that from what he has been hearing people will be pleasantly surprised about the Wii U launch line up

Step 2 (right after E3) - Shane says on his twitter account that one of the Wii U titles he knows about wasn't even announced

Step 3 (this week) - On this week's Invisible Walls (in the last segment), Shane says that he was planning on buying the Wii U at launch, and picking up AC3 (looks like the best version to him) and potentially an unannounced Wii U game that might still be a launch title. So it is something that he thinks will be really good. Also, he later mentioned BLOPS2 in another manner, so I don't think that is what he was referring to (not that it isn't coming to Wii U).

Anyway, I continued to be baffled by unannounced games that will come out before Christmas. I guess it is good for building momentum...but wtf?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom