• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

donny2112

Maybe they stockpile the consoles and flash the firmware just before they box them and ship them out.

There was that early leak of the 3DS hardware from a Chinese factory producing them, and it didn't have firmware on it, then. Wouldn't be surprising to start hardware, and still allow the option of tweaking the firmware before release. That said, with the history of the Wii not going into full production until getting the chip shipment from IBM in early September (?), Wii U may still not be in full production, yet.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Red Steel 2 gets less boring when you get to the second area.

On a system with better tech, it could have been Borderlands with swords.

How so? It could have just been RS2 with HD graphics, or it could have been a lot of things.

My main issue with Red Steel 2 was that it wasn't the hardware per say that held it back, although possibly in AI and combat choreography, but mainly the WiimotePlus just wasn't up to par tech wise either. So there were always very subtle inconsistencies in the swordplay due to that. I'd love to see that fixed, and with a lot more depth and technique to fighting each enemy and each group.

I beat the game. The only time it ever got interesting is in the areas structured like actual levels, but that was the vast minority of playtime. Most of the game was spent wandering around connected rooms to fulfill some mission or another, which, as you said, is very much like Borderlands. I don't like Borderlands all that much either.

- Who is planning on buying the Wii U?

- Why are you going to buy it? And if not, why not?

- What is your opinion about the console? What does it needs? What does it lack? What other information are you waiting Nintendo un unveil?

Getting it day one.

Getting it for several reasons:

1) The Wii has been the first Nintendo console I've owned and I've been very impressed with the reliability.

2) I've been seriously affected by generation fatigue.

3) The quality of first party titles dwarfs that offered by Sony and Microsoft

4) It has the best launch and launch window lineup I've ever seen.

5) The controller will make Fallout 4 the definitive SKU when it's released, assuming that Sony and Microsoft don't rip off the controller. I suspect that Sony are more likely to given Microsoft's SmartGlass feature.

6) ZombiU. Don't need to say any more lol.

I'm waiting for Nintendo to reveal more about Miiverse and details of the games on the way from Retro and Monolith Soft.

Useless info of the day: Latest SDK is 2.06.02. Another point release with breaking changes it seems, as it once again breaks compatibility with previous versions.

Did this roll recently? Do you think it was because of that recent update of openGL, or was that GL update just for mobile devices?

How so? It could have just been RS2 with HD graphics, or it could have been a lot of things.

My main issue with Red Steel 2 was that it wasn't the hardware per say that held it back, although possibly in AI and combat choreography, but mainly the WiimotePlus just wasn't up to par tech wise either. So there were always very subtle inconsistencies in the swordplay due to that. I'd love to see that fixed, and with a lot more depth and technique to fighting each enemy and each group.

The hardware pretty clearly held it back, in my opinion.

There were so many tight corridors, all looking fairly samey, that probably could have been pushed out a lot more if it weren't on the Wii. A lot of what made the game feel boring was how funnel-y it felt because of that.

Less than 90 pages to go until theres a new thread. The next one should be in gaming side since its getting close to launch, and seeing now that psabr is on its 2nd OT on gaming side.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Less than 90 pages to go until theres a new thread. The next one should be in gaming side since its getting close to launch, and seeing now that psabr is on its 2nd OT on gaming side.

No. The next one on the gaming side will be the OT for the actual Wii U when it's ready to launch. This community thread is staying where it belongs.

ozfunghi

I'm lucky i got Red Steel II from a bargain bin, for 20 euro's, including the WiiMotion+ add-on. And i mean lucky, because at least i got the WiiMotion+ for my 20 euro's since the game is really a big pile of stink. I seriously can not get my head around it that so many people here like it. The actual game design is horendous. But sure, the graphics were nice and it got semi-accurate motion controls.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

There were so many tight corridors, all looking fairly samey, that probably could have been pushed out a lot more if it weren't on the Wii. A lot of what made the game feel boring was how funnel-y it felt because of that.

Not every wii-game was corridor-based.
I think that it was structured so linear because of budget restrictions

But, I really enjoyed it. A lot. One of the experiences I'd love to see more often on the wii, honestly.

D-e-f-

Banned
I just hope we get good Wii U news at Gamescom, hopefully more confirmed third party games.

Other than that apparently a retailer has said the Wii U will come out in Australia on December 6th, which makes sense since that is a Thursday.

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2012/08/rumour-wii-u-set-for-december-6-release-in-australia/

So it's the EXACT same thing as with the Wii which launched first week of December in PAL territories and mid-November in the US. Big deal?

Heat up your stove, prepare a bowl and add Red Steel 2, Borderlands and Dead Island. Stir, season with good writing and serve with a cool drink.

D-e-f-

Banned
So Capcom's GC conference is ending and there's no Wii U news... : /

In NinDir. we (have to) trust

If you expect Wii U news out of gamescom (esp. game announcements), you're doing it wrong.

There will be no new game stuff before whatever Nintendo does within the next month or so.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I wasn't expecting Wii U news at Gamescon, but...where should we put our hopes?

seriously, "Remember me" seems the right sad and nostalgic epitaph for third party wii u support...from Capcom, the softco that brought PN03, RE0, RE Rebirth, Viewtiful Joe 1 and 2, RE4 to the GC, Ace attorney 1, 2, 3, 4 etc...Okamiden to the DS, Resi Mercs, Resi Revelation, MHtriG, MH4, Extroopers, to the 3DS, MHTri, REchronicles, Okami, Zack&Wiki to the Wii...

I mean, depressing, insn't it?

Now, let's wait for the next (disappointing) hype train stop: September...

D-e-f-

Banned
Remember Me is done by a brand new studio (DontNod - by former Criterion dude, based in France). I doubt they have the resources to just add platforms to their development plan just because they exist. The game was first shown last gamescom under the title ADRIFT.

I wouldn't poo poo on Capcom now all of a sudden just because they picked up the publishing for that game.

Banned

I beat the game. The only time it ever got interesting is in the areas structured like actual levels, but that was the vast minority of playtime. Most of the game was spent wandering around connected rooms to fulfill some mission or another, which, as you said, is very much like Borderlands. I don't like Borderlands all that much either.
iWiFlbXJ9Iypu.gif

Thank you..

If they do a Nintendo Direct this month, I guess it will focus on the 3DS and maybe a little bit of Wii U.
I would hope not 3dsxl will be out this week. Enough with 3ds talk. Hell they just released dates for the upcoming games and delays no reason to go over it again at a ND. And Wii...well dont let me get started on Wii.

ozfunghi

So Ideaman, you think 3rd party games are going to look significantly better than previous demo's at E3? Any games in particular we should be keeping an eye on?

Kouriozan

The very first goal of Nintendo Direct is to talk about upcoming release, and we get them every 2 month, so we'll have Wii U news in the october Nintendo Direct :p

Sadist

Capcom Wii U announcement 'very soon'

Capcom has confirmed to MCV that it will reveal its first Wii U game ‘very soon.' But it won't be shown at Gamescom, the publishers says.

Capcom has historically been a major support of Nintendo and its new platforms. The company has already released a number of titles on 3DS based on its top franchises, including Street Fighter, Resident Evil and Monster Hunter.

But so far it has yet to commit to Wii U. In fact, MCV understands that a number of publishers are preparing Wii U announcements – with only Ubisoft, EA and Warner Bros the major vocal supporters to the console thus far.

“There is a rumour that we are working on a Wii U game,” Capcom’s head of marketing for US and Europe Michael Pattison told MCV.

“It won’t be at this show. But we do have something waiting in the wings, and we will be talking about that very soon.”

Capcom held a press conference this afternoon at Gamescom, and it was very light on Nintendo properties. Instead, the company focused on its big core IPs including Resident Evil 6, Lost Planet 3, Street Fighter X Tekken, DmC: Devil May Cry and a brand new IP, Remember Me.

Thanks Vook for pointing this one out.

prag16

Banned
I swear this industry is run like a Kdrama or something. Am I excited? I dont know

We've also heard absolutely nothing concrete from Activision (not even "official" Black Ops 2 confirmation). It'd be surprising if Activision had almost nothing in the launch window, as they always supported the Wii (at least better than many other "big" publishers).

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
We've also heard absolutely nothing concrete from Activision (not even "official" Black Ops 2 confirmation). It'd be surprising if Activision had almost nothing in the launch window, as they always supported the Wii (at least better than many other "big" publishers).

Activision already confirmed Skylanders giants for Wii U launch period.
I would like to see also CoD at least.

Forgot to mention earlier my answer to what does the U need.

A ZombiU bundle, black, with there being a charging cradle like the first aid box type thing shown in the trailer a while back. And with the ZombiU logo embossed on the console too. Instant win!

- What is your opinion about the console? What does it needs? What does it lack? What other information are you waiting Nintendo un unveil?

Pre ordering as soon as it is available.

I've never felt let down by a Nintendo console. I enjoy their games.

I think the console will be more than adequate for my needs and can't wait to see what Nintendo's artists are able to do with it. I think it needs a cloud based account system that incorporates the 3DS as well. I can't wait to see what Retro is working on.

Effect

So nothing out of GamesCom yet right?

1. I certainly plan to get it day one now. Will preorder once it becomes available.

2. Mainly because it's Nintendo's latest system. I have faith they'll deliver if only not right away. I want to replace my aging launch window Wii as well. Nothing is making jump up and down for it but I don't think that's a lack of interest. It's just me being older, calmer, and more patient. The days of getting uber hyped are long gone.

3. For some time I was annoyed with the supposed power of the system but after giving it further thought and looking at my current situation (time, money, interest in gaming, etc) I think it will be enough. I also have a gaming PC so it will work well along side the Wii U as I plan on it being on my only console purchase this coming generation.

Berg

Just downloaded and played thru about 12 rainbow eggs of fluidity. That game is awesome! Hope to see a WiiU version.

RAWi

On the discussion of the "Capcom Wii U game coming soon".

What if... just what if *enter drugs* Megaman Legends 3 o_o wasn't completely cancelled but moved to Wii U!

*enter more drugs*

And it has better visuals, better gameplay, more this, more that, play on the Gamepad feature available.

Haha!

No, imposible.

On the discussion of the "Capcom Wii U game coming soon".

What if... just what if *enter drugs* Megaman Legends 3 o_o wasn't completely cancelled but moved to Wii U!

*enter more drugs*

And it has better visuals, better gameplay, more this, more that, play on the Gamepad feature available.

Haha!

No, imposible.

Don't do this to yourself. Lay off the drugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom