• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

wii U discs have round edges. #gamechanging with comfort.

Iwata: What else can we do to make Wii U different from the other home consoles ? It has to be ridiculously subtle.

Miyamoto: I don't know.

Reggie: How about we round off the edges of the Wii U's game discs ?

Iwata: ...That's stupid.

Miyamoto: How about we round off the edges of the Wii U's game discs ?

Iwata: That's brilliant! *kisses Miyamoto on the forehead*

I lost it.

Next Iwata asks, you can bet on it.

Eusis

Do the Wii U discs still have a scratch-resistant coating like Blu-Ray? That's much more important.
blu-rays needed to be stored in a case for reading much like UMDs and older computer CD drives before they created the scratch resistant coating. Either they're insane and not applying it, or it's there.

There's one surefire way to test though: getting steel wool and giving it a good scrubbing. It's how the blu-ray discs were shown off to be scratch resistant initially!

Seik

Banned
Woah, finally, someone made it!

I was so damn pissed, always cutting my fingers while holding them discs.

I can't count how many games and music CDs I ruined by losing blood on them, even consoles, but we all learned how to clean a lens somehow, huh? Those bitches are fucking kitchen knives I tell you!

A friend's friend of my cousin even lost a finger simply by trying to get a CD while it was running!!! The ignorance. :O

Wear gloves, kids.

Ashler

Its all about the little things...Co-op lake skipping:

0.jpg

czk

Typical COD gamer
It's as if the folks at Nintendo took sandpaper to every edge of every disc, making them all the more friendly to the touch.
Now all I see is Iwata and Reggie grinding all those discs in a dark basement after hours just to be ready at launch.

Neo C.

I feel bad now because my reaction was a genuine "oh hey that's pretty cool"

Why feeling bad? It's a neat improvement, people are just annoyed because there's a thread for this. Still, sometimes I wonder how Nintendo works. The priority list is all over the place! XD

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I really hope Chickdigger doesn't get junior'd because of this thread. He's one of my favorite posters. Mods, please, don't junior him. Please.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
That's nice. Is the disc based on BD though or something new?

Well, the Wii and Gamecube disc formats are based on DVD and mini-DVD respectively (this is why they not only share the same capacity limitations as their respective progenitors, but can also be read by certain DVD-RW drives), so I'd be very surprised if Wii U discs are anything more than single-layer BDs.

majik13

I much prefer it this way.
It's really easy for tiny pieces of news, such as round edges on discs or the menu music, to get lost in an unreadable massive OT or in the hundreds of pages the thread has gotten to.

agreed, those massive threads were a nightmare at times. I step away and it grows 3 pages. And then it is tough to catch up, and then half the comments are people posting the same news over and over. Its easier to catch news this way, though some of it isn't completely necessary.

Eusis

Well, the Wii and Gamecube disc formats are based on DVD and mini-DVD respectively (this is why they not only share the same capacity limitations as their respective progenitors, but can be read by certain DVD-RW drives), so I'd be very surprised if Wii U discs are anything more than single-layer BDs.
I'm not sure when/if it'll be needed, but I do kinda hope that in the long run, if space starts to get too tight they can go "SURPRISE, WE HAVE EXTRA LAYERS!", kinda like how cart limits get pushed up, but with this being more arbitrary.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'm not sure when/if it'll be needed, but I do kinda hope that in the long run, if space starts to get too tight they can go "SURPRISE, WE HAVE EXTRA LAYERS!", kinda like how cart limits get pushed up, but with this being more arbitrary.

I don't see why dual-layer discs wouldn't be introduced should the need arise. Beyond that, though, the Wii U optical drive itself would have to support triple and quadruple-layer discs as they're not backwards-compatible with drives designed to support only single/dual-layer discs, which is something I doubt.

Edit: It goes without saying that my assumptions here are predicated on the belief that the Wii U disc format is based on BD.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
game changer nintendo changing the industry again t minus ten seconds until PHONY steals the idea as usual m$ fanboys prob think nintendo is kiddy when this is hardcare rounded disks are more mature cos they play dumb blood shooters for kids swearing online dumb americans dont understand mature gaming japan makes true games not afraid of colours like pixar and gameplay cos they think graphics is more important graphics dont matter but i cant wait for retro or galaxy hd they will prove wii u is better than 360 and ps3 show real hardware power ps please read my mario party and naruto crossover fanfic thnx killer_mario1997

Hanmik

game changer nintendo changing the industry again t minus ten seconds until PHONY steals the idea as usual m$ fanboys prob think nintendo is kiddy when this is hardcare rounded disks are more mature cos they play dumb blood shooters for kids swearing online dumb americans dont understand mature gaming japan makes true games not afraid of colours like pixar and gameplay cos they think graphics is more important graphics dont matter but i cant wait for retro or galaxy hd they will prove wii u is better than 360 and ps3 show real hardware power ps please read my mario party and naruto crossover fanfic thnx killer_mario1997

lol.. here have some .... and some ,,,, I got a headache reading thát.. lol

Thread redeemed lol

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Did you get Google to write that for you?

Seik

Banned

Holy shit! :lol

kiryogi

Banned
Im curious for the folks that have handled Wii U disks . . .Do they have the nifty protective hard coating like Blu-rays thats smudge/scratch resistant?

Sid

lol are you drunk?

I know this poster! Remind me again this sounds familiar?

Finally Nintendo fanboys will be able to insert their little wiis into a NSMBXY223 disc without hurting themselves.

Nintendo listens to all your needs!

derwalde

tumblr_m6mdoj7kDF1rug9d0o1_400.gif

Dr.Acula

Banned
I'm kinda down on this. Will the discs be more slippery now? I always liked the friction I had gripping sharp edges. Plus, if I drop one, will it roll, allowing me to catch it before it falls flat, or will the rounded edge make it drop flat right away?

I can't see this as an improvement, honestly. :(

I'm kinda down on this. Will the discs be more slippery now? I always liked the friction I had gripping sharp edges. Plus, if I drop one, will it roll, allowing me to catch it before it falls flat, or will the rounded edge make it drop flat right away?

I can't see this as an improvement, honestly. :(

true, I don't see why people are praising this. Nintendo has lost its Edge, if it ever had one.

MicH

Iwata: What else can we do to make Wii U different from the other home consoles ? It has to be ridiculously subtle.

Miyamoto: I don't know.

Reggie: How about we round off the edges of the Wii U's game discs ?

Iwata: ...That's stupid.

Miyamoto: How about we round off the edges of the Wii U's game discs ?

Iwata: That's brilliant! *kisses Miyamoto on the forehead*
Holy shit :LOL. I can totally see this happening

Durante

true, I don't see why people are praising this. Nintendo has lost its Edge, if it ever had one.
Great thread, would read again.

I'm agree with all the people asking for a Wii-U OT... we clearly need one. Ok this little detail may be cool but I can't stand all these Wii-U threads. I want a big fat OT with plenty of images, info and links !
I'm clearly not doing it.

Top Bottom