• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Emulator Cemu Can Now Play Super Mario 3D World [Nearly] Fullspeed on PC

Dizzy-4U

Sorry for the ignorant question: For DX12, do you need a GPU that supports DX12 or just Windows 10? My GPU goes up to DX11.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
It will get there sooner or later.

So this is not about resolution now, isn't it? Like it isn't about framerate either, seeing how it struggles to run at 60 fps.

Must be some other reason ...

Yeah because this is early. At the rate this thing is rapidly expanding we'll be forcing AA and playing 1080p Mario Kart 8 in a years time.

At least by then the game preservation thing will probably be somehow legit.

So this is not about resolution now, isn't it? Like it isn't about framerate either, seeing how it struggles to run at 60 fps.

This is a work in progress. People are excited to see progress. Should I go home and take a picture of the game I own so you can stop being passive aggressive about it?

Zomba13

I'll happily retract all of the posts/get banned if that's not ok here.

I just don't get why it's ok.

Because emulation is ok. Pirating your games isn't. If you emulate your games (using an emulator that is legal to download and run) then the assumption is you're not breaking the law and pirating your games. Just like the assumption in every other topic is you aren't stealing your games. Do you want everyone posting in threads to show their receipts for the game they are talking about?

Now, if you enter an emulation topic and ask "Hey, where can I download free Wii/PSP/DS/Wii U/PC games?" then that's bad. Same if you are linking to BIOS or roms or isos. Those are things you should rip yourself.

Then there is the murky area or downloading a rom or iso for a game you own but can't rip. Legally it's a no no but morally I don't think anyone would flip out if you downloaded a rom of Sonic 1 to play on your megadrive emulator when you have your copy sitting in the case on your shelf but can't rip it yourself ebcause you don't have a retron or something else that can rip the game.

I think it's worth discussing the effect that emulating a current generation system has.

Didn't really seem to effect the Wii. It still sold a shit ton. Maybe effected third party support but then it's hard to tell if that was because it's a Nintendo system, it's underpowered, it was seen as the "family" console and everyone just threw shovelware minigames at it and wanted to compete with Wii Sports.

Corpekata

Banned

Do you think everyone is going out to play every emulated game ever at every emulator update?

Most people wait for emulators to be stable with IQ and slowdown issues before using them. Nobody's going to rush to use this emu because one game is working okay.

Adaren

The progress they've made on this is insane, but that flag pole looks filthy. I feel like I need to take a shower after seeing Mario slide down it.

I am not is disagreement that is true most of the time. But not all the time. If this runs better and higher res for zelda u than my wiiu then I would maybe use that instead. Calling everyone a thief may not be the best way to make friends here.

Oh I'm sure lots of people do, but they must be in the vast minority.

In any case, current gen emulation seems completely whacked out - is the bump from native 720p to up scaled 1080p going to make a vast difference? I could see the difference Dolphin made in resolution - but is it really the same with Wiiu?

In any case, current gen emulation seems completely whacked out - is the bump from native 720p to up scaled 1080p going to make a vast difference? I could see the difference Dolphin made in resolution - but is it really the same with Wiiu?

It's not upscaled, you're changing the actual rendering resolution and it makes a HUGE difference.

kaioshade

Do you go into every Dolphin thread and shitpost?

I have a Wii, Wii U, and a copy of Xenoblade. I play that shit on Dolphin, along with my other games, same goes for my gamecube.

Piss off with that nonsense of why people want to emulate.

Everyone needs to provide photo proof of the games they own along with receipts before people stop being idiots about it.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I watched the video on a small screen, so forgive me if this is wrong, but something looked off? Perhaps with the lighting and Cat Mario's textures? It's been forever since I played the game, so perhaps I'm simply misremembering.

Son Of D

I think it's worth discussing the effect that emulating a current generation system has.

To be fair by the time this is at an acceptable level for release the Wii U will be done with.

I watched the video on a small screen, so forgive me if this is wrong, but something looked off? Perhaps with the lighting and Cat Mario's textures? It's been forever since I played the game, so perhaps I'm simply misremembering.

Still early with texture and lighting. But seeing that it's at a good framerate is a good thing for the emulator.

lip_licker.gif

Can't wait till you can run this beauty in 4k with all the bells and whistles turned on!

Max_Po

Banned
Can you apply better AA and AF to it ?

Does it support higher resolutions ?

Just want to mention that Mario Kart 8 is a beauty. I can't wait to play it with better AA and AF :)

tuxfool

Banned

1440p or bust. Doubly important especially as Nintendo doesn't really give a shit about IQ.

How is preservation not legit? Because the emulator is made now instead of later? They're going to be continually working on it for the next 10+ years based on the previous emulators.

Then there is the murky area or downloading a rom or iso for a game you own but can't rip. Legally it's a no no but morally I don't think anyone would flip out if you downloaded a rom of Sonic 1 to play on your megadrive emulator when you have your copy sitting in the case on your shelf but can't rip it yourself ebcause you don't have a retron or something else that can rip the game./QUOTE]

Yeah, but this console came out 4 years ago. It's hardly the same. If we can't debate the emulation of a console that's barely been out 4 years here, then where?

Randomizer

They need to start banning people who equate Emulation to Piracy. They derail every single thread on the subject and are just ill-informed, ignorant and a plain nuisance.

liquidtmd

Banned
I'll happily retract all of the posts/get banned if that's not ok here.

I just don't get why it's ok.

I hear you. It's OK because there is a community out there that appreciates this work and do legally dump their own games.

There is nothing wrong in pointing out this will directly allow pirates to jump on their work and use it for their own ends, the numbers of which (purely anecdotally) outweigh those of those who pay money - take the time to dump

It must get annoying for the enthusiasts to hear the piracy argument in every thread as it feels like being tarred with the same brush but equally, it's the double edged sword of their field of interest that they have to accept. This emulator allows Legal Game Preservation + Piracy in the same breath.

Tricky topic. Personally I side with the enthusiasts and it's very satisfying to take the time in the area. I've learnt much about coding from studying emulation but I'm not blind to outsider appeal.

.... And now I need to upgrade my computer for 4k Bayonetta 2...

Can't wait till someone calls me a pirate, guess it's time to start taking pictures of my games to shame them into shutting up.

CHC

Really outstanding. I sold my Wii U a while back but I will be SO happy if I'm able to play Capitan Todd on my PC at some point in the future.

Durante

The progress on this is nothing short of amazing (I kind of wish it applied to platforms I care more to emulate).

Erm... That's what emulators are generally used for %99 of the time. Let's not beat around the - I own every single title I emulate - bush.
Actually, let's not derail an emulation thread with piracy talk, a topic which is entirely orthogonal to emulation.

Corpekata

Banned
Why??? Is Nintendo supporting the emuletion or something? Why their opinion about emulation has to be banable? Explain please... is their opinion and he is not trolling... You have to respect that.

No you don't. His opinion is basically "everyone else is lying" which is pretty shit tier opinion wise.

Instro

Lol if you're going to cause a ruckus, at least know what you're talking about.

Why??? Is Nintendo supporting the emuletion or something? Why their opinion about emulation has to be banable? Explain please... is their opinion and he is not trolling... You have to respect that.

If I walk into a PC thread and say you're a bunch of pirates nobody on PC buys games would that be alright?

Zomba13

Anyway, on topic, This is impressive. I look forward to future progress and getting stuff sorted out. Like the lighting or something was off here. It's running good though. I can't wait till it's at the level of something like Dolphin where it exceeds the original hardware. After getting into Pokken I really want to see that in a nice, high resolution. Though there might not be much to be done about the effects and background objects if the assets are low resolution.

kaioshade

Because it like port begging. Does nothing but shit up the thread.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Do you go into every Dolphin thread and shitpost?

I have a Wii, Wii U, and a copy of Xenoblade. I play that shit on Dolphin, along with my other games, same goes for my gamecube.

Piss off with that nonsense of why people want to emulate.

Everyone needs to provide photo proof of the games they own along with receipts before people stop being idiots about it.

You can check, I don't. I didn't shitposted here either, I just dismantled some fantasy reasons that don't really cover it. Not now.

Dolphin is emulating a system that is officially dead, if we talk about game preservation, that's a big difference.

But I won't "ruin" the thread anymore, as obviously any opinion that it's not fitting to yours is shitposting, as opposed with your quality posts.

Top Bottom