• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Emulator Cemu Can Now Play Super Mario 3D World [Nearly] Fullspeed on PC

Nyoro SF

I have fairly limited experience with emulators. Is it possible to improve file loading times in them, or is loading always limited by how the system handles its file system? That's one thing I'm concerned about with certain Wii U games (like the upcoming Tokyo Mirage Sessions... I preordered it, but seeing people list the load times in that thread makes me wonder if I'm in for a world of black screen pain and I should just wait and rip from my disc instead)

theRizzle

Yeah, but this console came out 4 years ago. It's hardly the same. If we can't debate the emulation of a console that's barely been out 4 years here, then where?

Okay, so according to you, what arbitrary length of time after the console is released is it acceptable to start working on emulation? It's not like you can put together a 100% working emulator in a week, or even a year. Why does time after release even matter?

Mihos

Gold Member
You buy your WiiU games to play on PC? Why bother?

I stream them to my shield portable. I have every old system hooked up, but still prefer to stream my PS2 rpgs to my shield for example.... there is alot to be said for save states also.

tnaden

I think it's worth discussing the effect that emulating a current generation system has.

I especially think so because there is no public way to dump your games yet.
Which makes people who use this consist of 100% pirates.

EDIT: This seems to be false as of a few months ago. Still think it's very bad form from gaf.

You can check, I don't. I didn't shitposted here either, I just dismantled some fantasy reasons that don't really cover it. Not now.

Dolphin is emulating a system that is officially dead, if we talk about game preservation, that's a big difference.

But I won't "ruin" the thread anymore, as obviously any opinion that it's not fitting to yours is shitposting.

Accusing people of pirating isn't just "an opinion".

Really outstanding. I sold my Wii U a while back but I will be SO happy if I'm able to play Capitan Todd on my PC at some point in the future.
I think you'll need to buy back a Wii U if you want do dump those games.
I don't think you can directly on the PC

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I'll happily retract all of the posts/get banned if that's not ok here.

I just don't get why it's ok.

Every god damn thread about emulation on GAF. Every god damn one.

The only way is to dump them with your Wii U. I'm not sure if there are any developed exploits for the current firmware version, though.

How do I use my WiiU to dump the games?

giphy.gif

I think it's worth discussing the effect that emulating a current generation system has.

Your PC needs to be really powerful to run this at an OK speed.

The number of people who will even get to use this emulator is so small it won't make a dent in Wii U's already abysmal sales.

By the time the average PC can run games full speed in this thing the Wii U will be a distant memory.

VariantX

If my PC were faster I'd try this, I've grown far too used to 1080p visuals and 720p is getting harder and harder for me to look at every day on my tv.

kaioshade

You can check, I don't. I didn't shitposted here either, I just dismantled some fantasy reasons that don't really cover it. Not now.

Dolphin is emulating a system that is officially dead, if we talk about game preservation, that's a big difference.

But I won't "ruin" the thread anymore, as obviously any opinion that it's not fitting to yours is shitposting, as opposed with your quality posts.

Equating everyone who emulates as a pirate is shitposting. It has nothing to do with having a different opinion. If you don't think some systems should be emulated so soon, then say that. don't come in a topic and start tossing around unfounded assumptions.

im not going to stick my head in the sand and pretend people could/would not use this for illegal purposes, but I'm also not going to point fingers as well.

Unai

They need to start banning people who equate Emulation to Piracy. They derail every single thread on the subject and are just ill-informed, ignorant and a plain nuisance.

Why??? Is Nintendo supporting the emuletion or something? Why their opinion about emulation has to be banable? Explain please... is their opinion and he is not trolling... You have to respect that.

Their opinion is totally valid and worth discussing. Thread derail in the other hand is usually frowned upon.

I have fairly limited experience with emulators. Is it possible to improve file loading times in them, or is loading always limited by how the system handles its file system? That's one thing I'm concerned about with certain Wii U games (like the upcoming Tokyo Mirage Sessions... I preordered it, but seeing people list the load times in that thread makes me wonder if I'm in for a world of black screen pain and I should just wait and rip from my disc instead)

Less accurate emulators tend to load faster, and even many accurate emulators have an option to 'uncap' load speeds. Just be aware that doing so can cause issues with games.

Not sure where Cemu currently stands on this.

shandy706

Can I just slap in the disc and play, or do I need to rip the CD for this?

I especially think so because there is no public way to dump your games yet.
Which makes people who use this consist of 100% pirates.

Wait, so I can't even put my Wii U discs in and "dump" them, well...that sucks. I was going to see if I could get some 1080p+ 3D World Going.

Didn't really seem to effect the Wii. It still sold a shit ton. Maybe effected third party support but then it's hard to tell if that was because it's a Nintendo system, it's underpowered, it was seen as the "family" console and everyone just threw shovelware minigames at it and wanted to compete with Wii Sports.
DS and Wii software sales did take a dive near the end while piracy started getting popular
This has been discussed to death a million times, in EVERY thread. Can we just enjoy the hard work and this amazing milestone in peace?
If there's a rule against it I apologize. It seems on topic to me

Zomba13

Accusing people of pirating isn't just "an opinion".

These people just don't seem to understand.

Yes, there are a lot of people that use emulators for piracy, usually older systems where it's easy to emulate and download a large amount of roms. But there are also a lot of pirates on the PC, so do you guys go into PC threads and complain about games and topics being made with things like "I don't see the point of threads like this, I thought piracy was against the rules!"? No, of course you don't because that's a stupid stance to take.

ss_lemonade

In any case, current gen emulation seems completely whacked out - is the bump from native 720p to up scaled 1080p going to make a vast difference? I could see the difference Dolphin made in resolution - but is it really the same with Wiiu?

Upscaled wouldn't look much different but a lot of these emulators are capable of running higher resolutions natively so yes, 720p -> 1080p will show a very noticeable/big difference

I would assume most people on GAF who emulate entirely have the right to do so - but I doubt that's accurate for the General population.

This just seems really early on in a console's lifecycle for it to happen.

Was Dolphin 4 years in?

And yes I have a very basic understanding of how the resolution increases work.

GBA, Wii, and DS were also emulated pretty early in their lifetimes. This is a similar point to where Citra was last year, and the 3Ds launched a little over a year before WiiU as well.

And it'll still be a year or two out before we get decently accurate fullspeed but this progress is still more than enough for us enthusiasts. If you're not an emulation enthusiast then I can see how you can look at this so negatively, but this news is not for you either.

iavi

The day Super Mario 3D world can run in 4k/60fps will be a glorious day. It deserves better than the Wii U.

How does it emulate the second screen? Can you use your own WiiU Gamepad?

AFAIK that is something that may never happen. Something to do with the proprietary wireless connection with the gamepad. It'll be interesting to see what kind of second screen hacks come up over time. I'm thinking some sort of way to bring a phone or tablet into the loop.

ViciousDS

Banned
Should just be a concern trolling about emulation & piracy community OT by now.

Doesn't seem to effect the retropi, or any other set top box threads.....it's only when you blatantly mention it's an emulator that people scream piracy. But if they would even venture in the other threads you would see people asking where to get the games at reasonable price to use on their PC and buff the resolution.

Legend of dragoon at 4x internal res and at 1080p looks like a whole new fucking game due to how nicely the avatars render in 3D!

I can't wait till this gets going so I can use XBCX at a crisp 1080p with a higher internal buffer and using cheats!!!! God I wait for the day for it!

On one hand this is technically impressive. On the other, this has probably little use for me, since most of the Wii U games I love are already HD and 60FPS. The only game I own that would benefit from this is Hyrule Warriors in two player mode (which fun as it is, goes to shit both resolution and FPS-wise), but setting up a second screen or window for the gamepad would probably be a hassle, if it doesn't kill the FPS outright.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
There. And as others have pointed out, its a very passive aggressive response.

"Must be other reason ..." and you first thought was "he's talking about piracy"?

I even stated that I'm perfectly fine with Dolphin, which contradicts the "all the emulation is piracy" that you attribute to me somehow.

I don't think emulation is bad, but I think that emulation during the lifetime of a console is a bad thing. Especially when there is no largely available method of dumping the games from the said console. But whatever.

As I tried already once, I will stop here with the discussion because I understood the point about not having this discussion in this thread.

So feel free to address your issues to me via PM if you still feel the need.

It really is a shame how much people hate emulation.

These people want older games to never be seen again.
Not older games, 3D World came out like 2 years ago.
Legal emulation like SEGA's steam releases, PS classics on PSN, and the VC is great.
If they're older games that'll never get rereleased that's another thing.
With how Nintendo often re-releases older games or at least supporting BC it doesn't seem too necessary.

tuxfool

Banned
On one hand this is technically impressive. On the other, this has probably little use for me, since most of the Wii U games I love are already HD and 60FPS. The only game I own that would benefit from this is Hyrule Warriors in two player mode (which fun as it is, goes to shit both resolution and FPS-wise), but setting up a second screen or window for the gamepad would probably be a hassle, if it doesn't kill the FPS outright.

Personally I think most games on the WiiU suffer from poor resolution.

gamerMan

Man I hope one day I get to see Mario Kart Wii U running in higher resolution. That game is still one of the best looking games this generation but its image quality was terrible.

Aeana

It's clearly not full speed and doesn't look 100% correct, but the progress is absolutely astounding nonetheless. I expect we're still a ways away from the emulator being in a state that anybody would choose it over the real hardware, so everybody concern trolling in this thread needs to relax. I'm not going to bother cleaning up the thread before this post, but consider it a warning for anything that follows.

Top Bottom