• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U has sold 3 million in Japan

TI82

Banned
Well, it's a bomb. Hopefully Nintendo takes it as a wake up call that their current thinking isn't sound business.

TI82

Banned
All console makers need to rethink how to do well in Japan.

True, but Nintendo needs to learn how to do well in the other countries that do care about console gaming. If I remember correctly Japan is their second biggest market with 3 million...

Media Create Monthly Hardware Sales 2015
Code:
+-------+----------+----------+----------+----------+----------+----------+----------+
| Month |    3DS   |    PSV   |    PS4   |   WiiU   |    PS3   |  XB One  |   Total  |
+-------+----------+----------+----------+----------+----------+----------+----------+
|January|   326.739|   125.809|   107.999|    63.623|    48.930|     1.981|   675.081|
|  Feb. |   168.806|    82.453|   111.015|    26.200|    27.845|     2.513|   418.832|
| March |   125.971|    89.763|   159.420|    28.726|    27.870|     1.346|   433.096|
| April |   130.845|    89.803|    99.936|    50.572|    22.343|     1.852|   395.311|
|  May  |    75.340|    53.883|    51.849|    42.889|    13.011|     1.165|   238.137|
| June  |   100.082|    59.044|    50.917|    65.364|    10.929|       772|   287.108|
| July  |   166.908|    71.087|    94.612|    57.784|    14.524|     1.023|   405.938|
| August|   158.454|    56.260|    66.156|    52.657|    11.135|       723|   345.385|
| Sept. |   118.434|    61.266|    85.495|    65.180|    10.486|     1.356|   342.217|
|October|   115.377|    75.214|   147.130|    55.183|     9.962|     2.408|   405.274|
|  Nov. |   225.723|    54.540|   116.403|    62.796|     6.734|     2.829|   469.025|
|  Dec. |   634.875|   250.349|   239.478|   306.108|    15.334|     2.665| 1.448.809|
| Total | 2.347.554| 1.069.471| 1.330.410|   877.082|   219.103|    20.624| 5.864.244|

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=191457254&postcount=252

PS4 by years (approx):

WiiU by years (approx):

Simbabbad

Not really, since PS4 is selling better launch aligned. Not much better, but still.
My point is, it's not bombing at all in context, or they are all bombing, so presenting it as a failure in Japan is weird, especially when you compare the horsepower, third party support, production cost etc. of each console. I edited my post to clarify. Relatively to the Japanese market, the console is actually doing pretty well, and Wii U hardware brings much more money to its company than PS4.

Worldwide, I don't think anybody would contest it's a failure, but it's not the subject here.

Anyway, I'm so glad Splatoon was such a success. I hope it'll encourage more new series.

My point is, it's not bombing at all in context, or they are all bombing, so presenting it as a failure in Japan is weird, especially when you compare the horsepower, third party support, production cost etc. of each console. I edited my post to clarify. Relatively to the Japanese market, the console is actually doing pretty well, and Wii U hardware brings much more money to its company than PS4.

Worldwide, I don't think anybody would contest it's a failure, but it's not the subject here.

Anyway, I'm so glad Splatoon was such a success. I hope it'll encourage more new series.

I definitely wouldn't say the Wii U has bombed in Japan. Its sales are quite reasonable. Not sure about the hardware bringing more money than PS4, but Nintendo software sure as hell makes bank.

Ultimately, Splatoon is probably going to be the best thing that comes from the Wii U's legacy because it's a great foundation and could go on to be one of Nintendo's biggest series. Creating a new IP that can hang with Mario, Kart, Smash et al is no mean feat!

John Wick

You would hate to see Ps4's lifetime sales in Japan then,

It's sold 2 million+ in Japan with 1 year less on sale and without any real decent Japanese games. This year things will change as more Japanese games are released and PS4 will surpass Wii U

viHuGi

Banned
jFEFq.jpg

To compete with PlayStation, Nintendo needs another Wii and DS level of sucess, NX might be their chance :)

Haganeren

It's like people are waiting for this kind of news to say all they have to say about the Wii U. Yeah, it's a failure for our countries, no problem, it's a loss for Nintendo. Nobody really doubted it... I think.

But in Japan ? It's actually not that bad. Oh, i wouldn't call it a "success" but it's interesting to see there is not a big difference between PS4 and Wii U there.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
ThIs thread is sad on both sides. I didnt want to post but:

Hm, Mario kart is around the same. So if it's 33% there, and around 50% WW or more, it must be well over 50 in a lot of places.

In France, back in June, Wii U was 590,000, and Mario Kart 500,000.

So, 85% attach rate back in June. That's insane, now i believe is lower than This.

Raist

Banned
Your saying Splatoon is even bigger than Dragon Quest!? Ok..

22,898 <- DQX
17,713 <- Splatoon

I'm gonna guess that FFXV and DQXI will have a little bit more of an impact.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Your saying Splatoon is even bigger than Dragon Quest!? Ok..

DQXI will sell the majority on the 3DS.

The thing is the Wii U is selling bad, the PS4 is selling a little less worse. In the long run both are selling awful and the console market is dead in Japan.

In a few years people will be like wow the Wii U didn't outsell the GameCube and wow the PS4 barely outsold the GameCube.

In an instance like this I think it is best to look at which system pushes software more as the difference in hardware sales will be negligible.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Are there people really saying there will literally be nothing this year that could rival or beat splatoon in the sales department on PS4? That is a ridiculous statement i think considering the pure amount of things on offer, no matter how consoles are doing in Japan. Why would splatoon be an outlier to everything else?

RM8

My favorite bomba :p WonderSwan sold roughly the same amount of units. I happen to love my WonderSwan too!

kiryogi

Banned
DQXI will sell the majority on the 3DS.

The thing is the Wii U is selling bad, the PS4 is selling a little less worse. In the long run both are selling awful and the console market is dead in Japan.

In a few years people will be like wow the Wii U didn't outsell the GameCube and wow the PS4 barely outsold the GameCube.

In an instance like this I think it is best to look at which system pushes software more as the difference in hardware sales will be negligible.

I've actually never sat down and thought about it that way. I thought it'd make a huge splash on PS4, but considering the userbase and the declining home console sales. . . DQXI would realistically sell gangbusters on 3DS. Mind blown.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I've actually never sat down and thought about it that way. I thought it'd make a huge splash on PS4, but considering the userbase and the declining home console sales. . . DQXI would realistically sell gangbusters on 3DS. Mind blown.

Dragon Quest Heroes PS3 and PS4 combined has sold in excess of a million copies, and the split between them was surprisingly close. 3DS is definitely going to sell more, but PS4 DQ11 will definitely sell very well considering the fall off of the PS3.

Sandfox

I don't see the point in arguing Wii U vs PS4 when both are selling like crap and will finish with poor numbers.

Are there people really saying there will literally be nothing this year that could rival or beat splatoon in the sales department on PS4? That is a ridiculous statement i think considering the pure amount of things on offer, no matter how consoles are doing in Japan. Why would splatoon be an outlier to everything else?

Well the only games that have a chance are DQXI and FFXV and just how big an effect that games will have on the PS4 are kinda up in the air so its not all that crazy of an argument.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
DQXI on PS4 will sell more than Splatoon, I doubt anyone doubts that.

Vinnk

DQXI on PS4 will sell more than Splatoon, I doubt anyone doubts that.

I doubt that.

DQXI will sell more than Splatoon for sure but with the shift to handheld I think it is not unreasonable to assume it will sell more copies on the 3DS than the PS4.

I'm thinking in the end (depending on when the NX is released) Splatoon will end up with over 1.5 million sold. It's over 1.2mil now and stays in the top 5 selling games almost every week.

During the entire run of the PS3 (when consoles were doing better) only one game (FFXIII) sold more than 1.5mil. Since FFXV is console only I think that one might actually have a better chance of outselling Splatoon.

The best selling console Dragon Quest game (VIII) sold a bit over 3.5mil on the software beast, the PS2. It was the best selling game on the system. The second best selling PS2 game was FFX and even that only sold 2.3mil.

I really don't know if the console version of the game can get past 1.5 on the PS4 alone. The best selling DQ game was XI (4.15mil) and that was on the DS.

Could it happen? Sure. But to say no one could doubt it will happen is maybe not accurate.

Vena

DQXI is on the 3DS, which will stiffle the PS4's sales potential (consumer base of >20m vs. ~3m by then). High chance it will have a sales ratio of like ~3-4:1. (For reference on this affect, see Smash 3DS:WiiU, which opened 944.644:227.527. DQ usually sells around 4 milliom, so a similar affect will give you 3.2m:0.8m. Just some ballpark numbers.)

FFXV has brand decay to fight from FXIII+.

Nothing else will even have a chance, most "big" other stuff won't even reach half of Splatoon's sales. (Also to match Splatoon, these upcoming titles will need 40%+ adoption rates, which is absurd. Its absurd that Splatoon has managed it.)

At least they reached that milestone. Earlier 2015, I wouldn't even have assumed it could have reached 3 mil in Japan in total. Splatoon deserves some props for seemingly carrying the system for as long as it did.

Also yes, the PS4 will most likely pass WiiU's sales in 2016. Even if it doesn't it, it definitely will in 2017. Future software will dry up even further for WiiU, while the PS4's will continue for several more years, regardless of the Japanese market.

DQXI is on the 3DS, which will stiffle the PS4's sales potential (consumer base of >20m vs. ~3m by then). High chance it will have a sales ratio of like ~3-4:1. (For reference on this affect, see Smash 3DS:WiiU, which opened 944.644:227.527. DQ usually sells around 4 milliom, so a similar affect will give you 3.2m:0.8m. Just some ballpark numbers.)

FFXV has brand decay to fight from FXIII+.

Nothing else will even have a chance, most "big" other stuff won't even reach half of Splatoon's sales. (Also to match Splatoon, these upcoming titles will need 40%+ adoption rates, which is absurd. Its absurd that Splatoon has managed it.)
I don't disagree with most of what you said, but I think FFXV still has a shot. It's been a while since its last main singleplayer entry, and I believe FF13 was the only PS3 million seller of last gen. A decent marketing push can probably overcome brand decay.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
I'm thinking in the end (depending on when the NX is released) Splatoon will end up with over 1.5 million sold. It's over 1.2mil now and stays in the top 5 selling games almost every week.

Splatoon is >1.32m, not 1.2m. And no, there is no way at this point for sell only 1.5m lifetime.

If we say that Splatoon will sell nothing in 2017, and that's impossible even with NX in the holidays 2016, it need to sell only less than ~3.5k all week of 2016, and it has never sold under 10k.

1.5million is just impossible.

Vinnk

Splatoon is >1.32m, not 1.2m. And no, there is no way at this point for sell only 1.5m lifetime.

If we say that Splatoon will sell nothing in 2017, and that's impossible even with NX in the holidays 2016, it need to sell only less than ~3.5k all week of 2016, and it has never sold under 10k.

1.5million is just impossible.

Oh I know that's why I said over 1.5mil and that right now it is over 1.2 (with digital). The main point I was trying to make is that even in a worst case scenario, 1.5mil would be a high bar for any PS4 game to cross.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Oh I know that's why I said over 1.5mil and that right now it is over 1.2 (with digital). The main point I was trying to make is that even in a worst case scenario, 1.5mil would be a high bar for any PS4 game to cross.

My bad then, i didn't understand.

Really? I don't think the Nintendo executives are thinking that the WiiU is such a huge success selling 3 million units on their home turf, especially when its predecessor sold more than 4x that number.

By that logic Sony must think the PS4 is a failure on it's home turf too then.

Rurunaki

By that logic Sony must think the PS4 is a failure on it's home turf too then.

Well it kinda is. The difference though is that Playstation is leading pretty much everywhere else. Hence you see the different approach Sony has been doing, focusing on multi regions as opposed to Nintendo still enforging region locking.

However you spin it, 3 million in Japan is pittance in regards to all the consoles.

Dragon Quest Heroes PS3 and PS4 combined has sold in excess of a million copies, and the split between them was surprisingly close. 3DS is definitely going to sell more, but PS4 DQ11 will definitely sell very well considering the fall off of the PS3.

A million? Not in Japan.

Splatoon will likely land around 1.5m units. Best selling PS3 game is at 1.9m units (FFXIII). PS4 will have to work hard to have a game beating Splatoon' sales.

noshten

By it's first year on the market(May 2016), Splatoon should be well beyond 1.5 million. I don't think any sequel has a chance to overtake it on the console space - it has to be some unknown quantity similar to Splatoon that shifts the needle and converts some mobile/handheld users to a console.

Fennec

In France, back in June, Wii U was 590,000, and Mario Kart 500,000.

So, 85% attach rate back in June. That's insane, now i believe is lower than This.

Here in France, during several months, the WiiU premium pack bundled with MK8 was the only way to buy a WiiU! Other premium packs were scarcely available, basic WiiU pack as well.

Top Bottom