• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U has sold 3 million in Japan

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
It is consistently above 20k every week, and recently has grown to 30-40k a week, and in the holiday's went up to 70k every week.

If one has been paying attention to the Japanese sales in the past few years, this is actually a pretty significant uptick.

Now i wonder if you are paying attention to the Japanese sales.

Sterok

To be fair, the major JRPG and Japanese game rush hasn't actually started yet. This year will be the ultimate test.

Launch aligned, the PS4 has sold 2.3 million in 98 weeks, whereas the Wii U took 126 weeks.

There has hardly been any major JP 3rd party game released over the past 2 years.

2016 3rd party JP line-up looks beastly though: DS3, FF15, P5, DQ11 and etc.

+1

Just like Mario Kart and Smash were going to save the Wii U. DQ and FF will provide a bump, but they're hardly going to be saviors for the overall console industry. If it was healthy the PS4 should've been blowing the Wii U away since launch, especially since the Wii U had several months without a single retail release. But no, it only recently beat it launch-aligned. Everywhere else it's lapped the Wii U easily. It might take another year for the PS4 to outsell it here. Not a good sign at all.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Didn't realize it had been trending up, I've not been watching Media Create threads recently.

Thanks for the tip. :)

What's significant is that many of the western games cross 100,000 these days on PS4, while PS3 has dried up in regards to most sales metrics software and hardware based. That bodes well for the actual Japanese titles that are going to come out this year.

The core market has moved onto PS4, i would not be suprised to see PS3 support dry up for a majority of games this year, supplanted by PS4 and Vita cross games.

Infact its already happening.
Now i wonder if you are paying attention to the Japanese sales.

I follow the Japanese sales on Esuteru, so yeah, i do check in on them. I don't follow media create threads though.

Inuhanyou

Just like Mario Kart and Smash were going to save the Wii U. DQ and FF will provide a bump, but they're hardly going to be saviors for the overall console industry. If it was healthy the PS4 should've been blowing the Wii U away since launch, especially since the Wii U had several months without a single retail release. But no, it only recently beat it launch-aligned. Everywhere else it's lapped the Wii U easily. It might take another year for the PS4 to outsell it here. Not a good sign at all.

A majority of this year has Wii U at sub 10,000 with PS4 at or around 20,000 weekly, that's not insignificant for a weekly sales basis.

I don't think anyone thinks these games are going to 'save' consoles, but we've had to get used to lowered expectations. As long as there is a decent sales base of the core gaming market buying the major titles, its not a failure even if the HW is lower overall.

If the major releases this year sell 200k to 300k in general, that's not a failure, that's a viable success

He's talking about Splatoon, not the PS4. As for bolded, that was all the holiday.

Forgive my ignorance, but I thought that the holidays wouldn't be a factor in Japan, since Christmas isn't so much a thing there. Do they have a different gift-exchanging end of year tradition?

Inuhanyou

It was 70k for one week, and only barely and on only one tracker.

Then the misstep in my statement implying 'every week' was a mistake, i apologize.

But in general, PS4 sales are higher than the Wii U. Its only been since about November that the sales of Wii U have occasionally surpassed the PS4. That happens when games like splatoon show up that are hits.

I expect atleast a few of the major Japanese games coming out for PS4 this year to have the same effect on a bigger scale

gogogow

It is consistently above 20k every week, and recently has grown to 30-40k a week, and in the holiday's went up to 70k every week.

If one has been paying attention to the Japanese sales in the past few years, this is actually a pretty significant uptick.

You use "every week" quite loosely though, because it has only sold 70k for one week, lol.

btrboyev

jFEFq.jpg

meh..PS4 in Japan is even less than Wii U..

About as well as you'd expect a home console do do with the state of the Japanese market right now. I'm curious to see what sort of an impact Sony's 2016 lineup will have on PS4 sales. This is the year where the console will finally look attractive to that segment.

meh..PS4 in Japan is even less than Wii U..

Launch aligned, PS4 is ahead.

Vena

A majority of this year has Wii U at sub 10,000 with PS4 at or around 20,000 weekly, that's not insignificant for a weekly sales basis.

Hasn't been true since May.

Forgive my ignorance, but I thought that the holidays wouldn't be a factor in Japan, since Christmas isn't so much a thing there. Do they have a different gift-exchanging end of year tradition?

They normally provide healthy boosts to all consoles as gifts/money are given. The holidays proper around Christmas are usually when Nintendo upticks (starting early December), and then New Year is when Sony upticks over Nintendo (this week). They still celebrate and gifts are often gotten for children at this time.

Its not usually some profound, earth shattering performance like in the NPD threads.

That happens when games like splatoon show up that are hits.

I expect atleast a few of the major Japanese games coming out for PS4 this year to have the same effect on a bigger scale

I don't see much of anything replicating Splatoon's successes for various reasons, the easiest of which is that Splatoon isn't alone in having gone viral (its just the most obvious). There's two pieces of software that working hand-in-hand to reel the WiiU from the depths before Nintendo dunks it back down with the NX announcements.

Raist

Banned
Has the PS4 been selling well in Japan?

Sorta OK-ish.

You just need to consider the trends.
It took the WiiU roughly twice as long to get its 2nd million compared to the first, and sales are more or less flat. Likely to go down soon if NX indeed releases this year.
The PS4 got its second million just a bit faster than the first, and with some significant more japan-friendly big titles releasing soon, it may still pick up some speed.

Zero83

The Sega Saturn sold 5m in Japan if I remember correctly

Ouch Nintendo

You can not compare the Japanese home console market in the mid-nineties to what it is today. And I'd say neither Saturn nor Wii U were doing badly at all in Japan, in comparison to what they did in the rest of the world. But unlike Saturn (vs. PS1), Wii U sales aren't totally dwarfed by any rival system in Japan. That market as a whole is weak for home consoles.

AlucardGV

Banned
Are people predicting PS4 to overtake Wii U number in 2016 in Japan?

well there are a couple of games that could push some hardware (ff15, maybe persona 5?), until now japanese people don't have many reason to get a ps4, everything is ps3 multiplatform.
and it looks like japanese market is at the lowest point in 26 years

Acerac

Banned
Sorta OK-ish.

You just need to consider the trends.
It took the WiiU roughly twice as long to get its 2nd million compared to the first, and sales are more or less flat. Likely to go down soon if NX indeed releases this year.
The PS4 got its second million just a bit faster than the first, and with some significant more japan-friendly big titles releasing soon, it may still pick up some speed.

I thought that Splatoon was helping Wii U sell at a fairly steady rate; I hadn't heard about it dropping off this year at all. No doubt, the PS4 will eventually outsell the Wii U in Japan, but the rate at which it's accomplishing this feat isn't exactly rapid.

Granted, it is an absolute slaughter elsewhere.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
Wii U (3 years to sell 3 million)

Ps4 (1.9 years to 2.3 million)

PS4 is better but nothing to hype up it have 3mill maybe 6 months before Wii U did, meh.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
WiiU is 750k units ahead. PS4 sold 500k units more in 2015.

The chances are good.

The game of the date PS4 outsells Wii U keeps pushed back and back and is completely pointless but for those who want to pay this game:

WiiU is 750k units ahead. PS4 sold 150k units more in 2015 since Splatoon's launch in May 28.

The chances are good?

The game of the date PS4 outsells Wii U keeps pushed back and back and is completely pointless but for those who want to pay this game:

WiiU is 750k units ahead. PS4 sold 150k units more in 2015 since Splatoon's launch in May 28.

The chances are good?

Yes, Splatoon will carry the WiiU over the entire year and none of the games released on the Playstation 4 will have anykind of effect on the sales.

That happens when games like splatoon show up that are hits.

There's not a single game announced for PS4 that could have the same effect as Splatoon and surely not on a "bigger scale". PS4 already had some big games and it helped it sales grow in 2015 launch aligned a bit above Wii U, at least before last december but this holiday has been big for Wii U.

Nonetheless all current consoles have disappointing low sales in Japan. Vita has decent sales. 3DS sales are good.

ITT: You can tell who's never been to a Media Create thread. PS4 is behind the Wii U launch aligned. Mobile and handheld devices rule Japan. Wii U has done well given the circumstances.

What does it matter if PS4 passes Wii U this year or next? It will be happening either way.

The Media Create thread is the last sales refuge for the Nintendo faithful.
As such, I would recommend those who are not knowledgeable of the affairs in those threads to stay out of them. Heed my warning.

The PS4 is considered to not be doing so well.
It launched 15 months later, was 30 to 50% more expensive (depending on the WiiU SKU you consider), and is now at 2.3M LTD.
Never mind the bulk of the major Japanese support still having yet to hit PS4.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Glad to see you on duty soldier.

Yes, but the PS4 hasn't surpassed Wii U's LTD in Japan just yet.

Well, Wii U is still ahead of PS4 in JP by a decent margin.

you are comparing one region to the whole world there mate.

Well, that's not great but I hope nobody compares it to....

You know it's sad but true. Given that the Wii U is at ~11 million, seeing 3 million in Japan isn't too hot. For PS4 it doesn't matter as much, but Wii U had to do better in Japan this gen given how Europe in particular didn't bite.

I love my Wii U.

What the hell is this? The world vs Japan? Stupid post.

All these people mad that I made the comparison, but I'm just pointing out what's considered newsworthy for each console.

zelas

Code:
+-------+------------+------------+------------+------------+------------+-------------+
|System | This Week  | Last Week  | Last Year  |     YTD    |  Last YTD  |     LTD     |
+-------+------------+------------+------------+------------+------------+-------------+
| 3DS # |    120.105 |    154.818 |    153.166 |  2.347.554 |    153.166 |  20.185.999 |
|  PS4  |     65.427 |     53.023 |     42.216 |  1.330.410 |     42.216 |   2.301.077 |
| PSV # |     64.481 |     74.330 |     58.005 |  1.069.471 |     58.005 |   4.593.398 |
|  WIU  |     53.547 |     92.801 |     30.031 |    877.082 |     30.031 |   3.020.662 |
|  PS3  |      4.221 |      3.994 |     17.867 |    219.103 |     17.867 |  10.388.094 |
|  XB1  |        765 |        490 |        637 |     20.624 |        637 |      63.891 |
|  ALL  |    308.546 |    379.456 |    301.922 |  5.864.244 |    301.922 |  40.553.121 |
| PSVTV |        670 |      1.167 |      1.305 |     35.239 |      1.305 |     185.452 |
|  PSV  |     63.811 |     73.163 |     56.700 |  1.034.232 |     56.700 |   4.407.946 |
|n-3DSLL|     73.778 |    107.374 |     76.439 |  1.603.058 |     76.439 |   2.470.116 |
| n-3DS |     21.501 |     29.252 |     40.338 |    463.142 |     40.338 |     832.448 |
| 3DSLL |      3.205 |      5.083 |     19.096 |    110.640 |     19.096 |   6.943.263 |
|  3DS  |     21.621 |     13.109 |     17.293 |    170.714 |     17.293 |   9.940.172 |

From the media create thread

Looks like that whole column of Last Year to Date numbers are busted. Does anyone have the actual numbers? That 3 million Wii U number doesnt seem good at all and I'd also like to know if the traditional games industry in japan will be reversing the lowest in 24 years revenue mark it hit last year.

impact

Banned
ITT: You can tell who's never been to a Media Create thread. PS4 is behind the Wii U launch aligned. Mobile and handheld devices rule Japan. Wii U has done well given the circumstances.

More like ITT: you can tell who is a diehard Nintendo fan.

CYEYAUTWEAE5pA9.jpg:large

Top Bottom