• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U has sold 3 million in Japan

Raist

Banned
I thought that Splatoon was helping Wii U sell at a fairly steady rate; I hadn't heard about it dropping off this year at all. No doubt, the PS4 will eventually outsell the Wii U in Japan, but the rate at which it's accomplishing this feat isn't exactly rapid.

My bad, it did improve a bit.

1st M: 33 weeks
2nd M: 71 weeks
3rd M: 57 weeks

Although to be fair, the 3rd million covers 2 holiday seasons vs 1 for the previous 2.

beril

Looks like that whole column of Last Year to Date numbers are busted. Does anyone have the actual numbers? That 3 million Wii U number doesnt seem good at all and I'd also like to know if the traditional games industry in japan will be reversing the lowest in 24 years revenue mark it hit last year.

weird, I'm pretty sure it was there earlier today. IIRC the Wii U is up 40% from last year, which is very impressive even though the actual numbers are still pitiful. Last year it had Mario Kart and Smash and everyone expected it to die this year.

well there are a couple of games that could push some hardware (ff15, maybe persona 5?), until now japanese people don't have many reason to get a ps4, everything is ps3 multiplatform.
and it looks like japanese market is at the lowest point in 26 years

Lowest point in 26 years is depressing. Damn. It must have been amazing to travel to Japan in the mid 90's when the market was booming, and consoles and games frequently released a year or more in advance of other territories (even longer sometimes for people stuck in a back water country like Australia!).

Which other titles do people think could realistically push console sales in Japan? FF15 and Persona 5 seem like solid bets, but what other "big" titles are on the horizon for the Japanese market? DQ would be 2017 right, and is also on NX which should be interesting to see unflold. Splatoon looks like the biggest surprise success of 2015, so I guess there could be some curve balls.

Anyway, based on the numbers alone looks like PS4 should overtake in 2016 but I'm no expert on Japanese culture!

That sounds so low, but at the same time it's impressive to know the install base of Splatoon considering these numbers. Hopefully they can release something with NX that's more appealing to consumers, because they have the IPs to sell it.

Anyway, based on the numbers alone looks like PS4 should overtake in 2016 but I'm no expert on Japanese culture!

Last few weeks has seen a big sales spike for Wii U (big relatively to current console sales in Japan). If some NX devices show up in 2016 they will eat some PS4 (and Wii U) sales. If NX gets some big games like DQ and MH it will get a good chunk of console sales.

If the PS4 will outsell Wii U it will be 2017 earliest even without NX.

More like ITT: you can tell who is a diehard Nintendo fan.

CYEYAUTWEAE5pA9.jpg:large

Thanks for the update. Without the snark next time, please.

Lowest point in 26 years is depressing. Damn. It must have been amazing to travel to Japan in the mid 90's when the market was booming, and consoles and games frequently released a year or more in advance of other territories (even longer sometimes for people stuck in a back water country like Australia!).

Which other titles do people think could realistically push console sales in Japan? FF15 and Persona 5 seem like solid bets, but what other "big" titles are on the horizon for the Japanese market? DQ would be 2017 right, and is also on NX which should be interesting to see unflold. Splatoon looks like the biggest surprise success of 2015, so I guess there could be some curve balls.

It's not just the big games, the PS4 has a consistent lineup of quality japanese titles every month. It isnt going to have big 6 month droughts without a notable release.

Games like Star Ocean 5 arent a big deal on itse own, but it makes the difference between a 20k week and 25k, and that adds up.

The PS4 could also have a slim model/price drop this year, that would be huge but its obviously not a guarantee.

Last few weeks has seen a big sales spike for Wii U (big relatively to current console sales in Japan). If some NX devices show up in 2016 they will eat some PS4 (and Wii U) sales. If NX gets some big games like DQ and MH it will get a good chunk of console sales.

That's the Nintendo holiday effect though, and PS4 is back to selling more than Wii U this week no?

Arkam

You really think 3 million units lifetime in a region is a success?

I wouldn't go so far as to say a sucess. As I am sure Nintendo had MUCH loftier expectation prior to launch. However if you look at where the market and consumer sentiment 6 months after launch I would call this a decent recovery. At one point there was a lot of talk about it performing in line with the Dreamcast. If they end up eeking out ~4m in Japan I think they will be moderately pleased.

Vena

That's the Nintendo holiday effect though, and PS4 is back to selling more than Wii U this week no?

That's the New Years affect, also a part of the holiday boost. There are two phases of the holidays: Nintendo boost, Sony boost. The former is holiday season, the latter is post-New Years.

That's the New Years affect, also a part of the holiday boost. There are two phases of the holidays: Nintendo boost, Sony boost. The former is holiday season, the latter is post-New Years.

So strange! I can understand the Nintendo holiday effect but the New Year Sony thing seems odd to me.

Of course, but only by 10k (Sonys post holiday effect) whereas Wii U had been 40k above PS4 the week before and 30k the week before. Last year PS4 had monthly sales only a few thousand above or sometimes below Wii U. Before PS4 will outsell Wii U lifetime it would take many month, even when Wii U suddenly stopped selling.

Console sales are poor in Japan anyway. So this is a sad numbers game...

Nah PS4 outsells Wii U this year with our without NX. Big games, possible price cut, slim model, psvr wildcard...

"Last few weeks has seen a big sales spike for Wii U" It's the usual holiday sales spike that is bigger this year because the wii u is more desirable with more games. Wii U's already down almost 50% over last week and it's going to decline and the gap is going to grow.

Money gifts get turned into things people want to buy that weren't already bought for them.

I guess that makes sense. So I guess the Playstation product buying demographic in Japan skews older than Nintendo? This is pretty interesting stuff.

Of course, but only by 10k (Sonys post holiday effect) whereas Wii U had been 40k above PS4 the week before and 30k the week before. Last year PS4 had monthly sales only a few thousand above or sometimes below Wii U. Before PS4 will outsell Wii U lifetime it would take many month, even when Wii U suddenly stopped selling.

I can't see Wii U doing too well this year with a new machine launching. What's even announced as upcoming for the year besides Star Fox and Zelda (which isn't a huge deal in Japan anyway right)? But from the looks of things Splatoon alone will keep it selling for a while which is insanely impressive.

Definitely agree on your final point. This is indeed a sad game :(

Mifune

Mehmber

The 2015 YTD gap was 450K+ in favor of PS4. LTD gap is, what, 700K? I see the 2016 YTD gap being much bigger with NX coming.

The Media Create thread is the last sales refuge for the Nintendo faithful.

Lol.

The Wii U was a massive failure coming off the Wii and consistently failed to meet Nintendo's own guidance. The 3 million in Japan is irrelevant and only looks OK due to the ghastly state of consoles in Japan. The WiiU will not beat the PS4 in Japan so what are we celebrating here?

Vena

I guess that makes sense. So I guess the Playstation product buying demographic in Japan skews older than Nintendo? This is pretty interesting stuff.

Or just not as readily given as a gift. If anything, the ages would skew older in favor of Nintendo since its largely parents buying the gifts for their kids/the family vs. the post-New Years gifts being bought. Its just that the interests of the former demographics are very different from the latter ones.

I mean, its all kind of moot. The 3DS is crushing everything under foot regardless of if it was before or after New Years, especially if you look at software.

The 2015 YTD gap was 450K+ in favor of PS4. LTD gap is, what, 700K? I see the 2016 YTD gap being much bigger with NX coming.

Post-Splatoon that gap is 150k (and this includes the release of MGSV). Basically, 300k gap was formed when the WiiU was tanking in sales with no key releases. The former is the important gap to keep in mind, because that's what the current market is for the these consoles, not what it was 7+ months ago.

Or just not as readily given as a gift. If anything, the ages would skew older in favor of Nintendo since its largely parents buying the gifts for their kids/the family vs. the post-New Years gifts being bought. Its just that the interests of the former demographics are very different from the latter ones.

I mean, its all kind of moot. The 3DS is crushing everything under foot regardless of if it was before or after New Years, especially if you look at software.

Post-Splatoon that gap is 150k (and this includes the release of MGSV). Basically, 300k gap was formed when the WiiU was tanking in sales with no key releases. The former is the important gap to keep in mind, because that's what the current market is for the these consoles, not what it was 7+ months ago.

And how many key releases does the WiiU have this year and how many does the PS4 have?

Mifune

Mehmber

I'm talking about the 2015 YTD numbers at the end of 2015. The most up-to-date numbers we have.

Vena

I'm talking about the 2015 YTD numbers at the end of 2015. The most up-to-date numbers we have.

Right, and I was talking about how those numbers break down when you look at current market activity vs. how it looked seven months ago. The numbers by themselves lack context.

Mory Dunz

ThIs thread is sad on both sides. I didnt want to post but:

At least the people who own the console seem to buy the games. 33 percent own Splatoon for instance.

Hm, Mario kart is around the same. So if it's 33% there, and around 50% WW or more, it must be well over 50 in a lot of places.

Mifune

Mehmber
Right, and I was talking about how those numbers break down when you look at current market activity vs. how it looked seven months ago. The numbers by themselves lack context.

Not sure why numbers need context. They're numbers.

All I was saying was that the YTD gap last year was 450K+. And the gap for this year will likely be wider.

Raist

Banned

Splatoon isn't exactly related to current market activity. It sells fine, but the WiiU went back to ~10k a week for quite a while after it was released.

Hero

Wii U sold terribly, this is no longer news. The fact that Splatoon basically reversed fate a bit for the system in the second half of the year is noteworthy.

People who think the PS4 is doing noticeably better are laughable. The console market has been shrinking and is continuing to shrink for various reasons including the declining birth population in Japan meaning not as many kids needing systems and you combine that with the fact that handhelds and mobile devices offer almost everything they could want, it's writing on the wall.

PS4 will eventually pass Wii U, if only because Nintendo is killing it this year and PS4 has 3 years left at least. But I don't see PS4 at more than 6 million LTD at the end.

Andrain18

Banned
let's be serious though, the thing has sold like crap, the marketing has been awful. While they're making quality games i find it odd that not enough people care to buy them. They went from 100 million Wii's to 10 million Wii U's. What happened? was it 3rd party support being non existent? Was it the controller, the console being underpowered? i'm genuinely lost as to what went wrong with them this cycle.

Vena

Not sure why numbers need context. They're numbers.

All I was saying was that the YTD gap last year was 450K+. And the gap for this year will likely be wider.

I went and re-read, and my apologies. I thought it was a part of something else that Crhis was talking about with the gap breakdown before/after Splatoon, which was why I was trying to re-add the context.

noshten

It turned out Splatoon and SMM were the actual heavy hitters while SSB and to a lesser extend MK8 were hurt by the fact they were alternatives on the handheld space. I'm still amazed that Nintendo doesn't do an actual Bundle with Splatoon + another game at comparable price to what they are giving in the US/EU or announce more DLC beyond January.

let's be serious though, the thing has sold like crap, the marketing has been awful. While they're making quality games i find it odd that not enough people care to buy them. They went from 100 million Wii's to 10 million Wii U's. What happened? was it 3rd party support being non existent? Was it the controller, the console being underpowered? i'm genuinely lost as to what went wrong with them this cycle.

It's actually marketted pretty well in Japan from what I've gathered.

Why was it a failure?

- Didn't really have a target market (controller is off-putting for casuals, not powerful/appealing enough for "core" gamers)
- Lack of 3rd party support
- Poor marketing in most places
- Slow start getting appealing games out
- High price for what it provides
- Too little too late in terms of power

It's basically a case study of how to totally fumble in every aspect.

Mifune

Mehmber
I went and re-read, and my apologies. I thought it was a part of something else that Crhis was talking about with the gap breakdown before/after Splatoon, which was why I was trying to re-add the context.

No worries. Thanks for clarifying - I felt like I was losing my mind for a second there.

Simbabbad

It wouldn't look way better if he'd use international numbers...
It'd look way better if he used local numbers since Wii U is the #1 current gen home console in Japan, outselling PS4. Which should be an information posted in the OP. In reality, as said by others, Vita, PS4 and Wii U have comparable numbers if you align launch.

It's sort of strange to read the "OMG it bombed" posts given those informations.

It'd look way better if he used local numbers since Wii U is the #1 current gen home console in Japan, outselling PS4. Which should be an information posted in the OP.

It's sort of strange to read all the "OMG it bombed" posts here when it's #1 in Japan.

Not really, since PS4 is selling better launch aligned. Not much better, but still.

People sometimes conveniently forget the Wii U launched a year earlier. At the end of a generation a years head start isn't a big deal, but when you're talking 3 years vs 2 years it's not a fair compariosn.

btrboyev

About as well as you'd expect a home console do do with the state of the Japanese market right now. I'm curious to see what sort of an impact Sony's 2016 lineup will have on PS4 sales. This is the year where the console will finally look attractive to that segment.

Launch aligned, PS4 is ahead.

It doesn't really matter when it's still selling as poorly as it is...the difference if the ps4 comes out ahead will be tiny.

BowieZ

Banned
It didn't appeal to the people who knew about it, and the people it would have appealed to didn't know about it.

Anyway, aside from the colossal failure of the Wii U, I think one needs a little perspective... ie, Wii U + 3DS vs PS4 + Vita, who's making more money, etc. (Nobody has much to celebrate compared with Apple.)

Top Bottom