• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Information Thread

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
I'm intrigued, but I really just wanted a "regular" controller with Wii mote compatibility and a massive power upgrade from current consoles. Nintendo really makes things harder for themselves. Do they not realize that the hardcore is super easy to please if you just listen to them.

I'm sure the cash spent on that fancy screen could have been used for a better GPU and CPU. They already had tons of Wiimotes out there, all they needed was to wow the xbox and ps3 owners. Oh well, hopefully they know something I don't.

leadbelly

Banned
I have thought of a few cool ways how this controller could be used. They may be slightly gimmicky, maybe, but it would certainly add to your immersion in the gaming world.

If you lift the controller up to the TV screen, you get a part of the image displayed on the controller screen. As you move it around you see more of that image. The effect is basically like you are looking through the controller. I'm sure we all know about this by now.

Anyway, I was thinking of games like metroid where you can scan the area around you and get various information on the environment. Imagine holding the controller up to the TV screen as if it was a scanning device and moving it all around the environment. On the controller screen all sorts of information comes up. Perhaps the screen on the controller looks more like some kind of scanning interface with the environment showing in like a neon blue with all bits of information coming up as you move it around.

It doesn't end there either. If you move the controller completely to the right of you, you get a view of whatever is to the right of you in the gaming world. So you can move the controller all around you and get a completely 3D view of the world. Perhaps you could also use it as binoculars and just look all around you quickly with the controller.

That would be pretty cool right?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
PushTheButtonMax said:
Isn't the round table event about to start?

IGN has a liveblog ready to move when it does, but it doesn't appear to be going at the moment. And I can't find any alternative liveblogs.

domlolz

Banned
the direction nintendo is going with the wii u seems completely at odds with the original wii and having so many peripherals and control methods just seems messy. Maybe that's just me.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Nintendo's got it back baby. This is how to do casual and hardcore simultaneously.

I just wish for a step forward this will lag behind when MS and Sony announce their own new consoles unless Nintendo releases another one in rapid speed.

Ezduo

Banned
So do you actually need a TV to even play some of these games? Could you just plug the console into a wall and then have it stream the info directly to the controller or what?

I;m not trying to troll here, I just got really exited about PSVita yesterday and missed most of the news today. Here is my question:
How is Wii U different from plugging your PSV into your TV? (I know that it is impossible right now, but it seems like the same idea/hardware power)

roman2003h said:
I;m not trying to troll here, I just got really exited about PSVita yesterday and missed most of the news today. Here is my question:
How is Wii U different from plugging your PSV into your TV? (I know that it is impossible right now, but it seems like the same idea/hardware power)

You're streaming from the console (the Wii U) to the controller instead of streaming from a handheld to a console to play on the big screen.

PigSpeakers said:
You're streaming from the console (the Wii U) to the controller instead of streaming from a handheld to a console to play on the big screen.

I mean you could stream from PS3 to PSP, but nobody actually did that... I guess I need to see some demos. This is the first time ever that I'm actually confused by console. :)

JaseMath

I just watched the WiiU promo vid again and, with the exception of the ninja star thing, there's really nothing about the controller you can't accomplish in a work-around manner that would work just as well. Also, the controller is just ugly.

Overall, I'm pretty disappointed. :(

Epcott

I missed some of the conferences...
Did Capcom, Konami, Square-Enix, or Ubi mention any Wii U projects in the pipeline?

I I recall a Assassin's Creed dev speaking in a video during the conference briefly, but what of the others?

JasonMCG said:
I just watched the WiiU promo vid again and, with the exception of the ninja star thing, there's really nothing about the controller you can't accomplish in a work-around manner that would work just as well. Also, the controller is just ugly.

Overall, I'm pretty disappointed. :(
What about games with a fifth player in the room?

leadbelly

Banned
MoeB said:
1800 reggie3

Fuck Me! it would a bit of a hassle if you have to phone them up and order a replacement. It would probably end up taking weeks for it to turn up as well. Would you have to pay for delivery?

There are so many unanswered questions to this. lol

Sinoox

Banned
Doc Holliday said:
I'm intrigued, but I really just wanted a "regular" controller with Wii mote compatibility and a massive power upgrade from current consoles. Nintendo really makes things harder for themselves. Do they not realize that the hardcore is super easy to please if you just listen to them.

I'm sure the cash spent on that fancy screen could have been used for a better GPU and CPU. They already had tons of Wiimotes out there, all they needed was to wow the xbox and ps3 owners. Oh well, hopefully they know something I don't.

Looks to me that they're using the screen as a way to sell it off to casual players. But it seems to have tons of benefits for the hardcore gamers like removing the hud.

Chairhome

This may have been mentioned, but that bar on top of the controller with the camera, that's a sensor bar, right? I guess that could let you use wiimotes on the wii u controller screen as well. The part that shows in the video when that little girl hits the golf ball off the wii u screen makes more sense, it can see the remote's IR passing over the sensor bar. Or it could just act like the Wii does using just the gyroscope/accelerometer. I could be reaching though...

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Just wanted to posit that "hardcore" gaming has almost always been an essentially solo experience. Having one working tablet at a time for the WiiU is inexcusable, but it fulfills the supposedly hardcore experience no less well in so doing.

wsippel

Banned
Probably already mentioned, but Ken Levine pretty much confirmed Bioshock Infinite for Wii U. Also, THQ Core is working on three launch titles as well as several post launch games, and Ubisoft is working on six games, two of which are new IPs. Also, Tekken has a tournament mode in which the winner may "tag" the loser by drawing stuff on his face, and the loser has to wear the tag for a set amount of time. It also features a stage editor and the ability to share stages online; create popular stages to earn Fight Money.

KrawlMan

wsippel said:
Probably already mentioned, but Ken Levine pretty much confirmed Bioshock Infinite for Wii U. Also, THQ Core is working on three launch titles as well as several post launch games, and Ubisoft is working on six games, two of which are new IPs. Also, Tekken has a tournament mode in which the winner may "tag" the loser by drawing stuff on his face, and the loser has to wear the tag for a set amount of time. It also features a stage editor and the ability to share stages online; create popular stages to earn Fight Money.

I was just about to post a question about Kevin Levine. Considering how this video on the e3 nintendo page has bioshock infinite footage...is that a hint at all that it may come to the system? I was going to get it on PC, but a Wii U version might be tempting.

milsorgen

Banned
1.) Although the internals aren't all nailed down it would seem to me pimping a moderately capable 2d hardware acceleration unit of the pad/controller would be wise and not that costly.

2.) It should have some legs hardware wise as the cpu appears to be a couple orders up on the Xenon/PPE model wise but at the same time it doesn't seem like it would take much sacrifice from Sony or MS to provide much more capable hardware within a year or so that could/would easily surpass Wii U

3.) The controller looks like ass for a good round of a game like BC2 or DOA and I realize this could be easily mitigated with extra hardware but I really don't want a myriad of control devices for an entertainment unit.

wsippel said:

Wait.

Where di you read that?!

effzee

wsippel said:

Link?

mhayze

Hm.

Two questions -

1. Will the 'hold the controller up in front of the screen and move it around + use analog sticks' style of gameplay for fps games finally provide a control experience that is comparable to a kb + mouse on a a console?

2. Won't focusing on your controller screen, then the big screen, constantly back and forth during gameplay, drive you crazy (not to mention cross-eyed / blind)? In conjunction with the 3DS, this seems like part of a Nintendo conspiracy to destroy your eyes as quickly as possible.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
My only major concern right now is how ergonomic the controller will be. That fucker is big, and obviously I haven't held it myself but it looks like comfort took a backseat to the touchscreen tech. Maybe it's lighter than it looks but I can see it being a PITA to hold that thing up in long sessions.

Snuggler said:
My only major concern right now is how ergonomic the controller will be. That fucker is big, and obviously I haven't held it myself but it looks like comfort took a backseat to the touchscreen tech. Maybe it's lighter than it looks but I can see it being a PITA to hold that thing up in long sessions.

IGN impression :

The tablet itself appears large, but is actually quite comfortable to grip. The two sliders both being located at the top of the tablet make holding it considerably easier. A staggered configuration would only have worked with a much smaller design. Nintendo was also smart in making the new controller extremely light for its size, resulting in something that might look strange but is not as burdensome as it would seem.

From here

Ydahs

Snuggler said:
All hands on impressions have indicated that it is indeed very light and comfortable. Like you, some journalists had their concerns but had their opinions changed once they had it in their hands.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Ydahs said:
All hands on impressions have indicated that it is indeed very light and comfortable. Like you, some journalists had their concerns but had their opinions changed once they had it in their hands.

Good to hear. Don't get me wrong, I'm strong so I'm more than capable of holding it up either way, but it's nice to know it probably won't be cumbersome.

Now I'm excited again. The presentation kind of had me down, but as details have come out through the day, my mood has improved. This is gonna be a pretty rad system.

AniHawk

so daily impression thing since there's no actual thread for it.

got in early and in line for cafe right at the start of the day. still calling it cafe since the line was for 'new console.'

at 12:15, some guy came by and told us they had reached capacity for the day. people in line would not get to see the controller/system. fuck.

so i go over to skyward sword to see the changes made. game looks great, and the animation is fantastic. didn't play a lot of it- some assholes cut in the line and by the time it got to me i didn't care that i only played half a demo. people interested in this game probably should like motion controls since they're used for everything.

i checked out some 3ds stuff. super mario 3d was okay, but it controls exactly like super mario 64 ds does on the 3ds. even if you use the slide pad, it's digital. you have to hold down a button in order to run. bullshit. wasn't too crazy about the level design either.

played star fox 64 and ocarina of time. both were nice. strangely enough they had the best use of the 3d for me. it didn't feel so forced.

before i left the nintendo booth, i checked out kirby wii. it was okay. in multiplayer, the game only recognizes kirby as the character to go through doors and the like (also, if kirby dies, it appears the other characters die too).

on my way out, i noticed a wii u being passed around, so i got my hands on one. the thing is fucking huge, but comfortable only because it's not heavy. the biggest problem i have with it, and it's a big, big issue, is that the controller has two slide pads. it feels wrong. when i asked one of the guys at the booth, he basically said that's just the direction they're going now. so that's bullshit too, and a serious amount of bullshit. i'm expecting many a modded wii u in the future.

anyway, i left the west hall after playing the ratchet & clank game. again, it was okay. one problem i had was an apparent lack of drop in/drop out. the other was that it felt more tools of destruction than a crack in time.

so the day kinda sucked eggs for the first two and a half hours. once i entered the south hall, the day improved greatly. first, i played sonic generations 3ds and hd. the 3ds version had unfortunately long load times for some reason. looking forward to the hd version though.

then i went over to the ubisoft booth and HOLY SHIT MICHEL ANCEL WAS THERE AND I SHOOK HIS HAND AND STUFF! :D :D :D then i went to play rayman origins and had a smile on my face the whole time. it's extremely charming and the right amount of difficulty (with less 'i want to kill you' than found in nsmbw). easily the best game of the day.

kinda wandered around a bit until i saw a trailer for el shaddai on a tv and for some reason thought it would be at the capcom booth. so i went back to the west hall. yeah, it wasn't there, so i went to the sony booth. there were lines for everything there and the day was winding down so i wouldn't get to see anything. so i ran out the clock in the 3ds area again.

it was really weird. while i was waiting for kid icarus, i see this weird guy take a picture with some poor soul (because the weird guy looked like he had just come back from some satisfying serial killin'), and the guy he was taking a picture with was yuji naka! naka starts playing the game and bill trinen comes up to talk to one of the guys at the booth. then he turns around to walk away and runs right into kobun heat. all this happened in about the span of a minute.

anyway, kid icarus was surprisingly better than i expected. the gameplay looks slow in the trailers, but works pretty well in practice. however, i can totally see that it was originally a wii game, and i think it would have been far, far better as one. i was also a bit surprised that the voice acting was actually not terrible either.

played mario kart. yep, it's mario kart. with coins for some reason (never seemed to matter in the demo but whatever). played resident evil revelations. got attacked by thirty regenerator things with leech-mouths. then i left.

Top Bottom