• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U launch attach ratio=1.2, Wii launch attach ratio=2

With 2 games it would be around $500 with taxes and shipping included; that's just a lot of money.

Anyhow, iirc, they expected an attach ratio of 4 at the end of launch windows?

Yes Boss!

I would imagine digital purchases being tied to just the console has stopped people from buying very many things from the eShop. I know it has me so far.

I think the majority who are buying digital for the console probably don't even care that it is attached to the console. Not like they won't have a system license transfer like they have had for the DSi/3DS.

That said, I bought NSMBU and Nano. So I'm right with the 1.2 I guess.

I bought four games on launch day via eshop. I don't plan to buy many retail games, even though I expect to end up with a library of well over 100 games, much like on wii.

Somnid

Wii Sports was not a throwaway. It was a system seller.

A more relevant explanation would be the absence of something comparable to Zelda TP which accounted for 0.6-0.7 of the Wii attach rate.

It's a throwaway in the sense that it doesn't provide the same type of depth. It wasn't a meaty game and it seems pretty clear that initial Wii buyers were purchasing other games (you are right to note TP) and perhaps didn't even play it until sometime later. It was not well reviewed nearly as well as Nintendoland either. Nintendoland is much more in the forefront of the early adopter audience and Wii Sports effect for Wii didn't take root until sometime later.

Sandfox

My buddies had me sold on getting Halo 4 after holding out past launch. I couldn't buy it through DD and I was able to avoid an impulse buy.

Their system sucks.

Yeah, they need to work on getting all first and second party games up day one like Nintnedo is doing.

Acheron

Banned
Pretty crummy launch with ZombiU as the only real standout.

(Yes, yes NSMB, but an exercise in nostalgia doesn't work if you keep doing them)

It's a throwaway in the sense that it doesn't not provide the same type of depth. It wasn't a meaty game and it seems pretty clear that initial Wii buyers were purchasing other games (you are right to note TP) and perhaps didn't even play it until sometime later. It was not well reviewed nearly as well as Nintendoland either. Nintendoland is much more in the forefront of the early adopter audience. Also the Wii Sports effect for Wii didn't take root until sometime later.
I agree; just to point out a little bit interesting info, Nintendo Land is apparently the second best selling title after NSMBU; and considering that most people already own it [as the deluxe set is selling the most], it just shows how well Nintendo has managed to market it as a title worth separate purchase even if not bundled in the box.

Aren't the non-retail and Indies doing best on eshop?
Not sure what DD has to do with a retail attach ratio.

(Yes, yes NSMB, but an exercise in nostalgia doesn't work if you keep doing them)

To be fair the lead third party title did get very mixed reviews.

That 360 attach rate is amazing

If I remember correctly, I bought the following

Call of duty 2
Project Gotham racing 3
Perfect dark zero
Condemned
Kameo

Maybe more if I see the launch list, what an amazing launch they had

That 360 attach rate is amazing

If I remember correctly, I bought the following

Call of duty 2
Project Gotham racing 3
Perfect dark zero
Condemned
Kameo

Maybe more if I see the launch list, what an amazing launch they had

Those are the 5 I bought too.

On XBLA I went for Geometry Wars, Smash TV and Gauntlet I think?

Jackano

Nothing surprising. Wii had Zelda, and Wii Sports was bundled with every single unit, plus there was the awesome Wii Play+wiimote bundle.

Wii U have a SKU without any game.

So that's 3 pros for Wii and one con for Wii U, the attach rate follow the comparison.

I'm hesitant to pick up zombiu, I dislike stressful and scary games, which is why I didnt enjoy demons souls, but I love love love the walking dead(tv), and some scenes in zombiu resemble a lot of the walking dead, should I pick it up? Digital or retail?
Edit: shit wrong thread.

The_Joker

this numbers can't be with the bundled nintendoland...

75% of the 425k wiius were deluxe edition -> 319k nintendoland
243k nsmbwu according to npd numbers

those two games combined make 562k games sold...divided by 425k wiiu = attach ratio above 1.36

and this numbers are without zombiu, separately sold nintendoland, scribblenauts and any other games

so the question is: are the wii numbers with or withput wii sports?...

or am i not seeing something?

I think it is noteworthy to point out that Twilight Princess wasn't just any Zelda, it was the Zelda that people wanted most since that GameCube tech demo was shown showing a darker and grittier Zelda. There was a lot of excitement for that.

Games like Rayman Raving Rabbids and Red Steel caught some attention back then too and even smaller games like Trauma Center: Second Opinion seemed to have caught some wind due to the excitement of using the new controller.

Obviously, Wii Sports was the true winner that turned Wii into an academy award star that became a multi-year phenomenon.

Wii U is doing okay off the bat, but the excitement doesn't compare to Wii. Not even close. NEW Super Mario Bros. U may be a fine game with some nice levels that are fun to play, but this game is a joke to the legacy it should be trying to live up to. It won't touch New Super Mario Bros. Wii's sales or the DS game. I anticipate most of those buyers will not be buying the more expensive expansion pack on the Wii U. Try harder next time, Nintendo.

Nintendo Land is no Wii Sports. Fun game though.

Looking forward to new Wii U software being showcased next year. Nintendo will likely be showing better stuff since the other guys will be showing off with their wares soon.

this numbers can't be with the bundled nintendoland...

75% of the 425k wiius were deluxe edition -> 319k nintendoland
243k nsmbwu according to npd numbers

those two games combined make 562k games sold...divided by 425k wiiu = attach ratio above 1.36

and this numbers are without zombiu, separately sold nintendoland, scribblenauts and any other games

so the question is: are the wii numbers with or withput wii sports?...

or am i not seeing something?

Without Wii sports I think is the main point of all this?

Charging $60 for months old ports is insulting.
It TRULY is; I just don't understand why they didn't release initially as budget titles. I guess most probably because they didn't want to cause a brand damage by position the experience as an inferior version.

onipex

I got the delux along with COD, Mario, AC3, and Batman.

The idea that Wii software didn't sell because of the casual audience was overblown by some gaming websites but never really held true. The narrow lens of gaming media and forums would lead one to believe that people put their Wiis in the closet after Wii Sports or Wii Fit, but the data doesn't back that up at all.

EDIT:

The December 2011 U.S. Tie Ratio from Gamasutra artcile -

ltd-tie-ratios-dec-2011.png

It still is overblown even on gamasutra.

hatchx

Banned
It TRULY is; I just don't understand why they didn't release initially as budget titles. I guess most probably because they didn't want to cause a brand damage by position the experience as an inferior version.

TANK TANK TANK is the real disgusting offender. It's an arcade port worth no more than a 9.99 downloadable asking price.

Sonic All Stars and it's 39.99 price tag to the rescue.

prwxv3

Batman was even older but it wasn't the same game I guess :p

At least there wasn't a collection of the batman games for the same price as AC on WiiU

TANK TANK TANK is the real disgusting offender. It's an arcade port worth no more than a 9.99 downloadable asking price.

Sonic All Stars and it's 39.99 price tag to the rescue.

Oh shit this too. I might have bought it if it was 10 bucks.

Huff

Banned
Don't know if there is a more recent article, but in March 2011 Wii wasn't too behind the other systems:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...les_Keeping_Up_With_Hardware.php#.UMJ6SoAs-wg

tie-ratios-march-2011.png

The idea that Wii software didn't sell because of the casual audience was overblown by some gaming websites but never really held true. The narrow lens of gaming media and forums would lead one to believe that people put their Wiis in the closet after Wii Sports or Wii Fit, but the data doesn't back that up at all.

EDIT:

The December 2011 U.S. Tie Ratio from Gamasutra artcile -

ltd-tie-ratios-dec-2011.png

Games sold. Just not the type that we talk about here. Mini game collections, carnival games, nintendo games, ect

I'd imagine a large amount of Wii Us were bought by scalpers trying to make a quick buck and they obviously didn't buy any games.

kunonabi

I bought 7 games myself. Hopefully it picks up so publishers don't panic and cancel support like the did with the slow 3DS launch.

Alcibiades

Games sold. Just not the type that we talk about here. Mini game collections, carnival games, nintendo games, ect

Nintendo games aren't talked about here? I seem to remember big threads for Mario Galaxy, NSMB Wii, Mario Galaxy 2, Brawl, Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword, Mario Kart Wii, etc... none of which are mini games or carnival games. That said, I'm pretty sure most of the biggest sellers that were minigames (Wii Sports Resort) or music games (like Guitar Hero 3) were talked about here.

Not trying to argue because I'm not even sure what your point is, but wanted to point out that Wii's biggest sellers that helped drive the tie ratio up were talked about on GAF and the gaming community at large.

Lkr

I'll never get how the 360 had such a high attach rate.
Good multi platform ports helped. These are games I bought the same year that I would have bought for 360 had I found one:
CoD2
Madden
FIFA
NBA 2k6

I also would have grabbed kameo, pgr, and perfect dark. Sure it was missing a major first party title like Nintendo systems have, but it had a well rounded launch lineup. The problem for the wii u is that cod and sports games are much more active and just better in most cases on existing systems.

Madden and Fifa were better games on ps2 and Xbox that year, but the new graphics hype was enough to sell people on a game that might not have played as well. For wii u games like batman, you could have bought a similar or better experience last year

majik13

I did my part, I bought 2 games, ZombiU and BLOPS2, as well as my Deluxe NL.

I have been eying some digital games but haven bit yet, since ZombiU is still taking up most of my time anyways, with no end in sight. awesome game.

I cant understand how people had the time to buy so many games at 360 launch. Maybe gaming was at a bit of a lull then compared to now, with 360, PS3 and PC still going strong.

Edit: Oh and also a free digital download of MSFHD, for doing the Wayforward logo animation. :)

I've bought 7 launch titles, 1 bundled (nintendoland), 2 retail (black ops 2, zombiU), 4 digital (NSMBU, Puddle, Sonic Racing and Mighty Switch Force)

I'm finding the eco system is really effective at getting me to buy stuff.

with Wii I bought three launch period titles: Wii sports, Zelda and wario ware

Snipes424

Everyone who bought a Wiii U should buy Zombi U. Mostly because of selfish reasons
I want Zombi U 2
. But honestly, it's an amazing game and should be experienced by all.

Pociask

Oh man, an oldie but a goodie - games are selling on Nintendo, just not REAL games. So if you don't count... what all was on this list at one point.... Nintendo first party games, music games, Lego games, party games, Carnival games, Fitness games, Popular License games, Wii sales are terrible and it's totally collecting dust in closets.

Top Bottom