• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Launch Sales Age- What went wrong?

The Boat

would it really killed their pocket to use better hardware and stick the Wii chips inside for BC? (iirc, 3DS is set up like that). i think they need new engineers.

I don't understand where you're getting at with this. Including Wii chips so they could use completely different architecture? Either way, if that sort of stuff didn't "kill pockets", why did Sony only include hardware BC in US (and Japan?) and cut it off shortly after that?

ksamedi

I really, really, really doubt this. Same with 3DS and DS. It doesn't mean they'll fail, but expecting them to pull the same numbers as beasts like Wii and DS is way too high a bar.

3DS will definitly not surpass the DS in sales. The products are too similar,and Nintendo is running out of ideas for dual screen, touch handheld mechanics. Maybe they'll come up with some new properties that will be big hits, but the DS was exceptional and a very hard target tp reach.

Wii U, however, does have a completely new interface and Wiimotes are so widespread that developers should have no problems supporting motion games. Miiverse, Wiimotes and the Gamepad offer a very flexible environment to make innovative games, much moreso then the 3DS.

Kacho

I think Nintendo truly believed that Mario and Nintendo Land would help drive strong sales and it didn't work out too well for them.

The Wii U VC and delayed release of TVii speaks volumes about how prepared they were.

Also, crummy and forgettable marketing.

I love me some Nintendo, but they need to right a lot of things if they hope to remain relevant and successful.

freddy

Banned
I don't have time to write up a comprehensive reply because I'm at work but one thing I'd like to say is this whole holding back of announcements until a game is almost out is a disaster. It ostracises media who thrive and rely on tidbits of upcoming games. It creates a sense that nothing is coming for the system as well. Whoever came up with this dumb idea needs to go.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
- One part price.

- One part "It's a Wii with a Tablet, wait the Wii is in the closet and I have a tablet anyway".

- One part competition within gaming; typically a new console launches as the old consoles wind down and really sets itself apart. The Wii U more directly engages the PS3/360 than any prior first-to-launch system, I think. For example, the 360 set itself apart from the PS2 by having a hard drive, downloadable games, online gameplay, and high definition. The PS3 had Blu Ray. Many of the Wii U's selling points: media capabilities, online capabilities, high definition are reflected in competition. The tablet is the unique selling point, really, and see #2.

- One part software, although I'd note I did expect software uptake to be much higher despite this. Let me note that I feel like software prices are in grave danger. I really am a believer that mobile has permanently disrupted software pricing expectations for a number of genres of game. This doesn't mean nothing can succeed at $60, but I really do feel like large swaths of the software ecosystem that existed before won't exist going forward.

- With respect to third party support, I have two apparently contradictory observations: The first is that Nintendo does not have good third party relationships, and I think there are a number of reasons behind that but #1 with a bullet is "They are a Japanese company who thinks Japanese in how they design and approach things and operates out of Japan and they seem fundamentally unwilling to adopt a western-focused mindset". The second is that I don't think good third party relationships will do all that much. Games cost a lot to make. They need to sell a ton to break even. Short of outright buying development of games, I don't think third party publishers are going to commit exclusive content. There's essentially no upside. Look at the 360's exclusives the last few years: a few low-end PC+360 games, and then the stuff Microsoft made. Look at the PS3's exclusives the last few years: a few low-end Japanese games, and then the stuff Sony made. The age of third-parties actually building exclusives is over. I don't think it's going to come back. I think ZombiU is actually bigger, higher budget, and higher profile that we would expect to be exclusive, and a testament to Ubisoft's culture of trying to have a big launch presence on every system. I don't think this is going to get better.

- I'd also argue that the 460k isn't terrible news--I don't think comparing launches is all that useful because I don't think launches matter all that much. The real question is what the trajectory is, whether or not they can get a good first year ramp up going, get costs under control so that they can sweat out slower software uptake, convince developers to keep working on it, and get out popular and profitable first-party software. I do think people who are both bullish and bearish on the Wii U are being premature. Let me be clear that I'm not saying 460k is a good figure by any means, I'm simply saying launches aren't all that important.

I'm not sure marketing matters. Marketing can only sell the product that exists, and I think the product itself has problems. I do think the Basic/Deluxe distinction was idiotic and confusing. I don't think a marketing blitz would have done anything to address any of the above issues.

NeonZ

would it really killed their pocket to use better hardware and stick the Wii chips inside for BC? (iirc, 3DS is set up like that). i think they need new engineers.

Isn't that exactly the problem with the Wii U hardware? It sounds like parts of its chipset are directly based on the Wii's, likely for backwards compatibility, rather than just straight modern hardware

DarkPanda

The WiiU's problem is that it launched with nothing *new*. Every game for the system is either a port or a known quantity. There's no game that stands out and makes people go, "Such a game exists? I've got to try that!" the way Wii Sports or Mario 64 did. Nintendo didn't really give people a reason to buy the system other than It's New and Has Mario!

gloomy

Neo Member
Failure to market the product, assuming people would buy off the hype of the Wii and understand it is a new console. I have seen not a single ad for the WiiU in Australia.

Also the cheap price and good number of games with the 360 and ps3 doesn't help.

remnant

Banned
Is this sarcasm? Power does not sell consoles. Software sells consoles.

By your logic Wii should have sold negative numbers. By your logic DS should have sold 1 console and PSP 1 billion consoles. Replace DS with 3DS and PSP with Vita etc.
And power determines the software.

People aren't dumb. They know they put their Wii's in closets or under other consoles as every major 3rd party game went to other platforms. The wii was a fluke.

Does anyone seriously think the 720/PS4 are going to have a software drought a month after release.

The Wii U will do perfectly fine this generation. Once E3 2013 hits this year. The Big games will be announced, not just from a first party stand point but from 3rd party as well. I believe Nintendo has a bunch of 3rd party exclusives coming that a lot of you are not even going to expect (I hope)

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
- One part price.
s.

Thanks for the thoughts. It is certainly possible I'm overreacting- I think I'm just seeing the impending Microsoft juggernaut and not seeing an easy road in the U.S. We'll see though..

For the next 2 months, Wii U numbers will go even lower. Just look at those games(NONE)!!! LOL! I'm guessing we'll see an increase after Pikmin 3 comes out.

CDX

When it's the console's second month on the market, yes.

In its second month....a December no less....yeah its pretty bad. And no one is talking about it. At all. There's like zero buzz.

No

Second month sales are NOT the reason the launch is not good.

If you actually compare it just strictly to the numbers of other launches the Wii U did OK.

AniHawk's reasons are much more valid why the Wii U launch is troublesome. Of course that's just IMO.

Wii Dec 2006 - 604,200
PS3 Dec 2006 - 490,700
Wii U Dec 2012 - 460,000
360 Dec 2005 - 281,441

And here are PS2's numbers
PS2 October 2000 (Launch) - 391 245
PS2 November 2000 (second month) - 187 554
PS2 December 2000 (first December) -522 239

To put it even more into perspective:

Xbox 360 US Launch (Nov+Dec): 607k
PS3 US Launch (Nov+Dec): 687k
Wii U US Launch (Nov+Dec): 890k

Wii U is not setting the world on fire but some of the reactions in this thread are way overblown.

You could even say Wii U is the best North American launch of a HD console in history.
Nintendo should hire me to do their PR.

the xbox 360 was super, SUPER supply-constrained. the ps3 was supply-constrained in november and not so much in december. the wii u was the same as the ps3. the thing to note is that the wii u really dropped off week-to-week from november to december. it's going to have a very poor 2013, probably rivaling the ds's 2005 and the ps3's 2007. or worse.

The Boat

I'm not sure marketing matters. Marketing can only sell the product that exists, and I think the product itself has problems. I do think the Basic/Deluxe distinction was idiotic and confusing. I don't think a marketing blitz would have done anything to address any of the above issues.

If one of the reasons for lukewarm sales is that people don't know about the console and don't know what it does, I think marketing would absolutely help. Spreading the message that it can play all those Wii games and by extension all its VC catalog and showing what the controller can do would raise interest.

braves01

Banned
Wii U's numbers have been okay, not great, but not doomed either. The sparse release schedule through E3 is worrying, however. Nintendo needs to fill out the schedule somehow, even if it's just reaching out to indies to get stuff on the eshop. They really need 1-2 big titles (not Pikmin) and a $50 price drop IMO.

Is it really that bad?

I think it is doing well enough. Not well, but well enough.

I mean all new consoles at launch have poor line-ups and we enter in the post Christmas part of the year where consoles don't sell much anyway.

I actually thing that it was a pretty good timing for Wii U launch because the "no game'S land" happens when people wouldn't buy it even if games were there.

Now wait another 3 months, see what is coming and it will sell high numbers every week again.

No need to panic at this point.

Derrick01

Banned
-Price. Too expensive with no proven value to most people.

-Stupid naming. People don't even know it exists and ones who do think it's a Wii add-on.

-No games. Speaks for itself, NSMB is done as far as moving 20+ million. Hell it might not even get 10 unless the bulk of that is in japan.

Coolwhip

Banned
I dont agree about price not being a big deal. Especially Nintendo consoles are seen as toys, which is good for Nintendo. But 350 Isnt a toy pricepoint. 200-250 is the sweet spot.

RedSwirl

For the mass audience, I think marketing was definitely the biggest problem. Whatever word of mouth got the Wii out there just didn't show up for the Wii U, and the OP is right about the hype machine not building. Nintendo needs to do something about this, and they need to do it this spring, preferably around the time Wii Fit U comes out. I think it'll be a real bad omen if that game fails.

With core gamers I never thought the Wii U was going to be a massive hit. Something as new as the GamePad doesn't show its appeal to core gamers immediately. The DS didn't until its second year when excellent games actually started coming out using the touch screen. That alone was never going to have the immediate appeal of shiny new graphics. I was hoping that maybe the 3rd party games on Wii U would look slightly better (like what console ports look like on PC), but even then Nintendo probably wouldn't have one of their core franchise games out to pull in the core gamer. They're probably still working on ways for that to happen.

On the whole insular development thing, I definitely also believe that there exists some kind of philosophical divide between Nintendo and western game developers. For starters it seems like no Japanese publisher or developer at all really understands western game development, possibly because they don't understand where it came from -- PC development. Even if they did or do understand though (the publishers making engines like Capcom, Square Enix, and Konami might), I still think it's also a matter of a deliberate choice not to always make games in that direction. Japanese developers aren't as obsessed on the ceaseless march forward of graphics technology.

I doubt Nintendo is ignorant of where top of the line gaming specs are going to be in 2013 or 2014, they just chose not to invest in that direction. It's not even like they packed the Wii U with 2005 hardware -- at the very least its graphics processing is quite recent, Nintendo just made a different decision compared to everybody else as to where they wanted to put their money.

I think Gunpei Yokoi pretty much perfectly laid out Nintendo's whole philosophy -- taking mature technology and applying it in new ways. More specifically, Nintendo is a company that likes to make fun physical interfaces. The device that got Yokoi into major development at Nintendo was the Ultra Hand. That's the kind of development they think makes games more fun -- to them, prettier graphics only come into play when absolutely necessary.

Like the Vita, they need to act like they care about the system and show me a better PR and Marketing effort. I don't know if I've seen a WiiU commercial on any channel I watch or in any major sporting events yet.

Carl

No

If you actually compare it just strictly to the numbers of other launches the Wii U did OK.

AniHawk's reasons are much more valid why the Wii U launch is troublesome. Of course that's just IMO.

In the US maybe. Complete bomb in Europe. Bottom of UK top 40 is a few thousand at best and no WiiU games appear on it.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Another thought I should have made more explicit- I'm particularly pessimistic right now because of the 2013 release schedule. I would feel better about the launch numbers if Nintendo had a compelling slate of titles lined up.

trinest

Software wise I feel is the main issue. With most of the games pushed towards the late half of Q1 and Q2. With no real solid dates for any of the upcoming games in those peroids.

netBuff

Isn't nintendo considering all their games as "launch" games over the next 6 months? So wait til their first christmas to see how the launch did. Or maybe the 2nd christmas.

We are not beholden to the Nintendo marketing definition of "launch period" that was designed to cover up the severe lack of titles slated to be released for the system.

hongcha

Here's something that is not helping them in Japan:

JAPANESE RELEASE SCHEDULE JANUARY-MARCH 2013
Nintendo 3DS

02.07.13 Dragon Quest VII: Eden no Senshitachi (Square Enix)
02.07.13 Pachi-Para 3D : Deluxe Umi Monogatari - Pachi-Pro Fuuunroko - Hana Kotou no Shoubushi Tachi (IREM)
02.14.13 Maru Gou! Nanami to Issho ni Gakubo! English Joutatsu no Kotsu Riron-Hen (Media5)
02.14.13 Maru Gou! Nanami to Issho ni Gakubo! TOEIC Test Taisaku-Hen (Media5)
02.21.13 Magi: Hajimari no Meikyuu (Bandai)
02.28.13 Dragon Ball Heroes: Ultimate Mission (Bandai)
02.28.13 Layton Kyouju to Choubunmei A no Isan (Level 5)
02.28.13 Osawari Tantei Nameko Shigeru (Success)

03.07.13 Doraemon: Nobita to Himitsu Dougu Hakubutsukan (FuRyu)
03.14.13 Super Robot Taisen UX (Bandai)

PS Vita

01.24.13 Demon Gaze (Kadokawa Games)
01.24.13 Genkai Totsuki Monster Monpiece (Compile Heart)
01.31.13 PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale (SCEI)
01.31.13 Sengoku Hime 3: Tenka o Kirisaku Hikari to Kage (SystemSoft)
01.31.13 WRC 3 (CyberFront)

02.07.13 NextRev: Chuushoukigyou Shindanshi Shiken 1 (Media5)
02.07.13 NextRev: Chuushoukigyou Shindanshi Shiken 2 (Media5)
02.07.13 San Goku Shi 12 (Koei)
02.14.13 Sakura-Sou no Pet na Kanojo (Kadokawa Games)
02.14.13 Silent Hill: Book of Memories (Konami)
02.21.13 Ciel Nosurge RE:Incarnation (Koei)
02.21.13 NextRev: Sharoushi Shiken (Media5)
02.28.13 Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 Plus (Tecmo)
02.28.13 Phantasy Star Online 2 (Sega)
02.28.13 Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus: Otome Shoujotachi no Shoumei (Marvelous AQL)

03.07.13 Soul Sacrifice (SCEI)
03.07.13 Tales of Hearts R (Namco)
03.14.13 Steins;Gate (5pb)
03.14.13 Steins;Gate: Hiyoku Renri no Darling (5pb)
03.20.13 Dead or Alive 5 Plus (Tecmo)
03.20.13 Meruru no Atelier Plus: Arland no Renkinjutsushi 3 (Koei)
03.20.13 One Piece: Kaizoku Musou 2 (Bandai)
03.28.13 Oboro Muramasa (Marvelous AQL)
03.28.13 Sei Madou Monogatari (Compile Heart)

Xbox 360

01.27.13 DmC: Devil May Cry (Capcom)
01.24.13 Hitman: Absolution (Square Enix)
01.31.13 Love*Tra: Bitter (Boost On)

02.07.13 Heavy Fire: Shattered Spear (Hamster)
02.14.13 Combat Wings: The Great Battles of WWII (CyberFront)
02.14.13 Ginga Force (Qute)
02.28.13 MuvLuv Alternative: Total Eclipse (5pb)
02.28.13 Risen 2: Dark Waters (Ubisoft)

03.07.13 Crysis 3 (EA Games)
03.07.13 F1 Race Stars (Codemasters)
03.07.13 Far Cry 3 (Ubisoft)
03.14.13 DarkStalkers Resurrection (Capcom)
03.21.13 Gears of War: Judgement (Microsoft)
03.27.13 Final Fantasy XI: Adoulin no Makyou (Square Enix)
03.28.13 Army of Two: The Devil's Cartel (EA Games)

PlayStation 3

01.27.13 DmC: Devil May Cry (Capcom)
01.27.13 LittleBigPlanet Karting (SCEI)
01.24.13 Hitman: Absolution (Square Enix)
01.24.13 Kamisama to Unmei Kakumei no Paradox (N1 Soft)
01.24.13 Nobunaga no Yabou Online: 10-Shuunun Kinen Box (Koei)
01.31.13 Accel World: Kasoku no Chouten (Bandai)
01.31.13 PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale (SCEI)
01.31.13 WRC 3 (CyberFront)

02.07.13 Heavy Fire: Shattered Spear (Hamster)
02.14.13 Combat Wings: The Great Battles of WWII (CyberFront)
02.21.13 Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (Konami)
02.28.13 Macross 30: Ginga o Tsunagu Utagoe (Bandai)
02.28.13 MuvLuv Alternative: Total Eclipse (5pb)
02.28.13 Risen 2: Dark Waters (Ubisoft)
02.28.13 Sharin no Kuni, Himawari no Shoujo (5pb)
02.28.13 Dynasty Warriors 8 (Koei)

03.07.13 Crysis 3 (EA Games)
03.07.13 F1 Race Stars (Codemasters)
03.07.13 Far Cry 3 (Ubisoft)
03.07.13 Hatsune Miku: Project Diva F (Sega)
03.14.13 God of War: Ascension (SCEI)
03.14.13 Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 ReMIX (Square Enix)
03.14.13 DarkStalkers Resurrection (Capcom)
03.14.13 Winning Post 7 2013 (Koei)
03.20.13 Disgaea Dimension 2 (N1 Soft)
03.20.13 Little Busters! Converted Edition (Prototype)
03.20.13 One Piece: Kaizoku Musou 2 (Bandai)
03.28.13 Army of Two: The Devil's Cartel (EA Games)

Wii U

01.31.13 Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage 2 (Koei)
02.21.13 Tank! Tank! Tank! (Namco)
03.14.13 Need for Speed: Most Wanted - A Criterion Game (EA Games)

big_z

Can the wiiU and partner up with Microsoft for a dual company console. They can sell the wiiu tablet thing as a peripheral since some people see it like that already. This would benefit both companies for various reasons. Plus as a team they can get to work on a Nintendo smartphone.

No

PS2- sold out, supply constrained

Wii - sold out, supply constrained

360 - sold out, supply constrained (for a couple of months at least even if not to the same degree as the others)

PS3 - 599 US dollars

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Im conflicted, having bought the system I want it to do well. The other side of me want's to do badly so maybe Nintendo changes is strategy a bit. They are too comfortable these days, the past 4 hardware launches have been horrible.

Wow that Japanese schedule is brutal. Remember when we thought we were getting Wonderful 101, and Pikmin 3 around launch :/

gloomy

Neo Member
I'm not sure marketing matters. Marketing can only sell the product that exists, and I think the product itself has problems.

Marketing has helped sell plenty of bad or problematic products though.

When we talk about large sales numbers it is about reaching a mass audience. The WiiU functions well enough to fulfill the needs of this group. I think its a fun console. But it was probably priced out of their budgets.

Another thought I should have made more explicit- I'm particularly pessimistic right now because of the 2013 release schedule. I would feel better about the launch numbers if Nintendo had a compelling slate of titles lined up.

This is a key point, I think. A middling launch can be corrected by an effective software strategy, especially with a year headstart. But there needs to BE a software strategy.

The Boat

I'm not convinced the price is an issue. In the short term it might be, you could pick up a PS3, a 360 or a Wii for much cheaper if you were Xmas shopping, but in the long run considering that they don't like lowering prices (rightly so) I think it's a pretty good price.

The basic version costs $50 more than the Wii did, even the premium version isn't that expensive, it's in the ballpark of what 360 cost at launch (don't remember the price in US, I think it was cheaper than in EU) with a more complete package and much cheaper than PS3.
When the new consoles roll out, it will the be the cheapest of them all and Nintendo will probably be making money by then.

If they wanted to get bigger numbers right now, yeah a lower price tag would help, but considering that they're already losing money, I think this was a good choice in the long run.

freddy

Banned
Can the wiiU and partner up with Microsoft for a dual company console. They can sell the wiiu tablet thing as a peripheral since some people see it like that already. This would benefit both companies for various reasons. Plus as a team they can get to work on a Nintendo smartphone.

What reasons are these?

Top Bottom