• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iwata Tweets About There Being No December Nintendo Direct

These tweets are from the 8th, but I haven't seen them discussed and can't find anything in search. He is reffering to the 'regular' bi-monthly Nintendo Directs and began tweeting after the end of the Pokemon Direct.

[岩田]ご覧いただいてありがとうございました。昨年は、ほぼ毎月偶数月末にニンテンドーダイレクトを行ってきたこともあり、みなさんに「偶数月末にはダイレクトがある」と期待をいただくまでになってしまいました。

[Iwata] Thank you for watching [the Pokemon Direct]. Last year, we held a Nintendo Direct at the end of every even month and you all came to expect that Directs would occur at the end of every even month.

[岩田]準備の都合もあり、先月はダイレクトを実施できず、お待ちいただいていたみなさんの期待にお応えすることができませんでした。素材の準備や、発表タイミングなどの事情で、必ず偶数月末にダイレクトが実施できるわけではないことは、どうぞご理解ください。

[Iwata]There were preparation circumstances that meant we couldn't do one last month [Dec 2012]. With materials preparation and announcement timing issues, please understand that we are unable to guarantee that a Direct will be held at the end of each even month.

[岩田]今年も、ニンテンドーダイレクトを通じて、みなさんに「直接」情報を発信して、ニンテンドー3DSやWii Uのこれからにワクワクしていただけるような年にしたいと思います。本年もよろしくお願いします。

[Iwata]This year we intend to send information directly to you through Nintendo Directs, and make this year an exciting year for the Nintendo 3DS and Wii U. We look forward to this year.

https://twitter.com/Nintendo

Looks like we got Nintendroll'd.

[Iwata]There were preparation circumstances that meant we couldn't do one last month [Dec 2012]. With materials preparation and announcement timing issues, please understand that we are unable to guarantee that a Direct will be held at the end of each even month.

Translation...?

Translation:"We were looking for Wii U games, but couldn't find any."

There we go

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Yeah I'm interested in seeing their plan b console as well.

This is Miranda Priestly we're talking about. The plan B is software, software and more software. Who knows exactly how they're gonna do it, but let's not count out their influence and power so easily. If they didn't do well enough with Wii U and 3DS, one killer application is bound to come into the picture, eventually.

Sentenza

On a side note I find this news mildly funny because in one of these threads where people were complaining about the lack of good Wii U games coming, someone said something along the line of "their fears will be washed away with the next Nintendo Direct".

Bullza2o

Now that the Japanese Direct seem to be slowing down its pace to normal, it's time for Reggie to bring it all on every month to show Bravely Default and all other localization surprises
if they announce Culdcept I wonder how creepy it will be

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'd rather them spend their time working on games. Enough with the ludicrous secrecy.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Ah, well. I hope this month they'll be able to do it!

Edit: And they must have had vacations and all that, which also prevented them from doing this.

Unacceptable. Iwata must be fired.

Iwata: *Laughs*

Fox Mulder

They're just going to hold revealing anything exciting for E3 to go against new console news anyways.

I think the release calendar only has Rayman and Aliens until March.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Looks like they couldn't get the Pokemon footage in time for late December so they had a Nintendo Direct early January to make up for it.

As an aside, now that NDP is out, the Wii U has sold at least 1.6 in the US+JP, so it's probably over 2 when Europe and other sales are taken into account.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
As an aside, now that NDP is out, the Wii U has sold at least 1.6 in the US+JP, so it's probably over 2 when Europe and other sales are taken into account.

We'll probably find out more in the Investor's Briefing on the 30th.

We'll probably find out more in the Investor's Briefing on the 30th.

Indeed - and I expect them to give a hint, like with 2D Mario for 3DS last year, as to what their 'plan' is. Or, maybe at the end of year one to counter-act the yoy loss. This quarter may have been profitable?

Anyway, with regard to Nintendo Directs, I hope there's one at the end of Jan to out line the release until the end of their self-imposed launch window.

I imagine, between the WW launch and trying to sort out OS stuff, holidays and various other things there was the time to film and prepare a full Direct.

Hiltz

They're just going to hold revealing anything exciting for E3 to go against new console news anyways.

I think the release calendar only has Rayman and Aliens until March.

Here's some of the stuff we know:

Q1 - Game & Wario, Lego City, Wii Fit U, Rayman Legends, Aliens: Colonial Marines, First of the North Star 2, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate HD, The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct, Nintendo TVii (next update apparently coming later in January)

Unknown: Need for Speed port

Q2 - Pikmin 3, Injustice: Gods Among Us, Panorama View app (will not be free, but demo will be available)

Unknown: The Wonderful 101

eShop titles for Q1: Toki Tori 2, Zen Pinball 2, The Cave, Bit. Trip: Future Rhythm Alien Runner 2, Wii U Google Maps (free for limited time),

Fox Mulder

Q1]Game & Wario, Lego City, Rayman Legends, Aliens: Colonial Marines, First of the North Star 2, Wii U Google Maps (free for limited time), Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate HD, The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct

Q2 - Pikmin 3, Injustice: Gods Among Us, Panorama View app (will not be free, but demo will be available)

Unknown: The Wonderful 101

eShop titles for Q1: Toki Tori 2, Zen Pinball 2, The Cave, Bit. Trip: Future Rhythm Alien Runner 2

Great, where's the dates for any of those?

I'm expecting more delays.

Q1 - Game & Wario, Lego City, Rayman Legends, Aliens: Colonial Marines, First of the North Star 2, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate HD, The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct

Unknown: Need for Speed port

Unknown: The Wonderful 101, Marvel Lego game

eShop titles for Q1: Toki Tori 2, Zen Pinball 2, The Cave, Bit. Trip: Future Rhythm Alien Runner 2, Wii U Google Maps (free for limited time),

That still looks like a healthier list than Japan...

Kyzer

Banned
I fully expect for them to BLOW OUR MINDS March/April. I mean come on. Theyre not dumb. They know what their competitors are up to. They don't have to appease the mass market that they appeal to. They can sit back and unveil their aces as needed. Us nerds on game forums keep wanting more and more to keep us busy, but it doesn't really help them, business-wise.

Hiltz

Great, where's the dates for any of those?

I'm expecting more delays.

January: Zen Pinball 2 , The Cave

February: Rayman Legends, Aliens: Colonial Marines

March: MH3U HD, The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct

April: Injustice: Gods Among Us

The other stuff I believe remains TBA.

I fully expect for them to BLOW OUR MINDS March/April. I mean come on. Theyre not dumb. They know what their competitors are up to. They don't have to appease the mass market that they appeal to. They can sit back and unveil their aces as needed. Us nerds on game forums keep wanting more and more to keep us busy, but it doesn't really help them, business-wise.
Then via Reggie Bill is gone to Japan to help. I feel like were close to Iwata dropping a bomb in a Direct

For those wondering about Japan...

Japan

January 31st
Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage

February 21st
Tank! Tank! Tank! (Disc version/Full download)

Early 2013
Game & Wario

Spring 2013
Wii Fit U
Pikmin 3
Dragon Quest X (Beta begins in Feb, iirc)
Wii U Panorama View (Download)
Google Maps (Download)
Demae-kan (Download, delivery service)
YNN (Download, video service)

TBA
[Note: All these titles will be Nintendo-published in Japan]
The Wonderful 101
Super Smash Bros.
Bayonetta 2
Monolith Soft Game
Rayman Legends
Lego City Undercover

Hiltz

According to Reggie, there's some unannounced stuff planned for around launch window. However, knowing Reggie, it's probably nothing significant. For all we know, he could have just been referring to stuff like Panorama View + Google Streets Wii U apps.

We know Renegade Kid will be announcing a Wii U title in March during PAX East. Capcom's pledged more Wii U support and also said we shouldn't expect many late current-gen ports like RE 6 and Lost Planet 3. We also know Straight Right is currently working on an unknown ported title from Square Enix and they've got an orignial IP as well. Square Enix hasn't said a word on Dragon Quest X localization. Wayforward confirmed future support as has Shin'en (they're apparently working on a new racing game, likely a sequel to FAST League Wiiware). Hopefully, we'll hear some more announcements from Nintendo at GDC in March followed by some potential third-party annoucnements at PAX, and Capcom's holding its annual Captivate event in April.

These were mostly the big Wii games announced during the first half of 2007:

- Resident Evil 4 port - March leak
- Zack & Wiki - March (under working title: Project Treasure Z)
- de Blob - Revealed from German Magazine scans in June
- Boom Blox - March during GDC (no details, just confirmation)
- Manhunt 2 port - February

By the way, Japan has Need for Speed port coming in March, but I don't think an overseas release has been dated yet.

According to Reggie, there's some unannounced stuff planned for around launch window. However, knowing Reggie, it's probably nothing significant. For all we know, he could have just been referring to stuff like Panorama View + Google Streets Wii U apps.

There was the Walking Dead game from Activision.

Fox Mulder

Rayman was confirmed for February and MHTU has already been confirmed for March.

I know, I just hate the vague Q1 and "release window" shit with not even a peep about the games since the console launched. I am expecting more stuff to get delayed, as Toki tori seemed to slip until early 2013 at the last minute.

Lego City Undercover is a high profile, potentially mainstream game that needs to be shown off more and get an actual date.

I know, I just hate the vague Q1 and "release window" shit with not even a peep about the games since the console launched. I am expecting more stuff to get delayed, as Toki tori seemed to slip until early 2013 at the last minute.

Lego City Undercover is a high profile, potentially mainstream game that needs to be shown off more and get an actual date.

Yeah, the lack of more solid dates are a bummer. I'm gonna be unhappy if Wonderful 101 slips past March.

For now though, I am excited about getting Rayman in February, and Need for Speed Most Wanted in March.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
"Please enjoy our Q1 lineup of a 2 month old musou game, a retail version of an arcade game already available digitally, and a months old port of a Western racing game"

Hugs and Kisses!

Persona86

Banned
Gotta Love Nintendo Direct, it feels a bit more personal seeing announcements etc compared to hearing about them on articles.

Does Sony do something like this? I don't think so?

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Basically he just confirmed that we are getting Nintendo Direct next month. I'm curious what they would show for Wii U.

Top Bottom