• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Release Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

VICI0US

I might be the one that's wrong here, but I swore people were using Wiimote for it in multiplayer. Sadly I haven't had the chance to check it out yet with other people, just watched videos of it pre launch.

nah, you are correct. ZombiU multiplayer is played with 1 player on the gamepad and 1 player using either a Wii-U classic controller pro or Wii remote+nunchuck setup.

I might be the one that's wrong here, but I swore people were using Wiimote for it in multiplayer. Sadly I haven't had the chance to check it out yet with other people, just watched videos of it pre launch.

Yeah I just checked on my copy. It does work with Wii Remote+Nunchuk! I thought I'd have to pick up a pro controller to try it.

cajunator

Banned
Nevermind I got it. Have it hooked up at my parents home and my brother disconnected HDMI so all I saw seeing was the Hulu /youtube screens on the tablet. It works fine.

Fox Mulder

I seriously wonder why Nintendo went with Wii U as the name though. I mean, after the issue arising with the 3DS, why not actually name it something else? Or at least make an attempt at marketing here in the US. I have seen like in total 5 commercials for the Wii-U and I have my TV on all day long.

I think the WiiU was a stupid name given Nintendo's recent history of similarly named products like the DSi or DSXL. Those actually were iterations on existing hardware, so it's not a huge stretch if people are genuinely confused what the wiiu is. They should have called this the Super Wii or Wii 2.

I really don't see a lot of confusion in terms that the Wii U is a new console. I saw many kids asking for the new Mario game and their parents saying no because they didn't have a Wii U. The 3DS had confusion because it looks exactly like the DS, had multiple iterations with different letters, had boxarts that looked like the DS, and the launch lineup was terrible. Wii U has none of those problems. The huge console in the demo stations also highlights that it's not a controller for the regular Wii. If consumers could figure out the Kinect crap, I think they'll be fine here.

I love Nintendo and I am a fan since 1989 ( 3 years old). I bought every console and I will buy the WiiU in 5 days. It will always be my favorite company.. But ...I honestly think that "WiU" is a stupid name. Everyone who is not a "core" gamer thinks this is just a new controller for the Wii.

I love Nintendo and I am a fan since 1989 ( 3 years old). I bought every console and I will buy the WiiU in 5 days. It will always be my favorite company.. But ...I honestly think that "WiU" is a stupid name. Everyone who is not a "core" gamer thinks this is just a new controller for the Wii.

No, not all of them do. And the fact that you cannot buy the thing separately quickly differentiates it. And the completely different section in gaming sections of stores. And the completely different boxarts. I'm not saying Wii U was a great name, but people are seriously overplaying the confusion card.

No, not all of them do. And the fact that you cannot buy the thing separately quickly differentiates it. And the completely different section in gaming sections of stores. And the completely different boxarts. I'm not saying Wii U was a great name, but people are seriously overplaying the confusion card.

I hope this is true.

I don't have so much time for games these days so I've set myself a rule for Wii U titles (half serious, half joke). I am only going to play 60fps games. I don't mean I'll play any shite just because its 60, I mean I only want to play games that run at 60. Should be good for Nintendo and Platinum (here's hoping) games.

We will see how long this rule lasts ha!

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

I still hear people at Futureshop asking if their DSi will play 3DS games. You underestimate consumer confusion. It might not hurt sales this holiday season and people might mostly figure it out in three months, but there's still a segment of the population who will never understand it until someone sits down with them and explains it very slowly.

Eusis

I don't have so much time for games these days so I've set myself a rule for Wii U titles (half serious, half joke). I am only going to play 60fps games. I don't mean I'll play any shite just because its 60, I mean I only want to play games that run at 60. Should be good for Nintendo and Platinum (here's hoping) games.

We will see how long this rule lasts ha!
Depends on how much you want Zelda I guess. Possibly Pikmin too.

I still hear people at Futureshop asking if their DSi will play 3DS games. You underestimate consumer confusion. It might not hurt sales this holiday season and people might mostly figure it out in three months, but there's still a segment of the population who will never understand it until someone sits down with them and explains it very slowly.

And these people wouldn't have understood if the name was any different. There are people that want to play Mario on their PS3s so no some people will never be gotten to. Many people get confused by the Apple branded iterations and the difference between them. I'm not saying it affects no potential customers. I'm saying that if sales underperform it will not be a significant factor to discuss.

Poyunch

So with Miiverse I understand Nintendo reasons not to include achievement/trophies but it becomes an issue in the long-term when your old posts are buried by more games on the Miiverse lists and more posts that will stack up on yours.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
And these people wouldn't have understood if the name was any different. There are people that want to play Mario on their PS3s so no some people will never be gotten to. Many people get confused by the Apple branded iterations and the difference between them.

A portion of the before mentioned might know that a Wii 2 (if the Wii U was named that) is the successor to the Wii, as stupid as it sounds. Most people that have no tech insight will be able to tell you that an iPhone 4 is a newer version of the iPhone 3. I'm not sure something like Super Wii would have been as crystal clear, but I think most people would understand it.

bonesquad

Anecdotal evidence will vary, but in my experience the name is a big problem. I took a Wii U to Thanksgiving and had to constantly explain that no, the Wii U was a completely new system. It wasn't an iterative upgrade. It wasn't an add-on controller. It wasn't a handheld. And that was with the Wii U right there in the living room.

Anecdotal evidence will vary, but in my experience the name is a big problem. I took a Wii U to Thanksgiving and had to constantly explain that no, the Wii U was a completely new system. It wasn't an iterative upgrade. It wasn't an add-on controller. It wasn't a handheld. And that was with the Wii U right there in the living room.

The same thing will happen with any other console that comes out.

J.W.Crazy

A portion of the before mentioned might know that a Wii 2 (if the Wii U was named that) is the successor to the Wii, as stupid as it sounds. Most people that have no tech insight will be able to tell you that an iPhone 4 is a newer version of the iPhone 3. I'm not sure something like Super Wii would have been as crystal clear, but I think most people would understand it.

Those same people where in an uproar when the recent court cased proved Samsung's iPhone was the same as Apple's. I was at Gamestop a few months ago when a woman asked if they had any Nintendo Xbox 360's and fought with the clerk when he tried to tell her Microsoft made it. No matter what they do people are going to be confused.

Fox Mulder

Shit. How long does this initial patch takes to download? yeeesh!

took me like an hour, but that was launch day. Just use the time to charge the gamepad, since it didn't have much life out of the box and almost died on my initial setup while downloading some other patch.

bonesquad

The same thing will happen with any other console that comes out.

Sure. The problem is that the same type of person who is easily confused (by Wii U or any system) is exactly the same type of person that made the Wii a huge success. Nintendo is not helping themselves one bit in a tight market by calling it a "Wii U" when a "3DS XL" exists.

Just checking in on this thread, what does the disc drive in all of your Wii U's sound like when a disc is in. There are times when mine is pretty quiet and unnoticeable but at other times it sounds like it's spinning excessively fast or something. Just want to check if this is normal or if I should try my luck switching it in to get a quieter Wii U drive.

Neiteio

Despite me saying I don't want one until TW101, my brother picked up the deluxe bundle for me as an early Christmas gift. Hmm. I'm really wary of the GamePad apparently dying after a couple hours, the neverending firmware patch and other problems. I think I'll leave it in the box until they start fixing their product. :-\

Those same people where in an uproar when the recent court cased proved Samsung's iPhone was the same as Apple's. I was at Gamestop a few months ago when a woman asked if they had any Nintendo Xbox 360's and fought with the clerk when he tried to tell her Microsoft made it. No matter what they do people are going to be confused.

"Some people are confused about every product" is a very simple way of looking at it. What you are referring too is a study Apple used in court where people would often identify Galaxy S2's (IIRC) in store as iPhones. That's barely even relative to this discussion, as the issue there was that they.. do look pretty similar. And many people think the iPhone is the only phone that looks that way. So they walk into a store, see a rectangle with a screen with icons, and go "iPhone." Not remotely relevant to a device being identified as a successor to a previous device.

Nintendo themselves discussed the potential confusion after their first E3 showing.

Just checking in on this thread, what does the disc drive in all of your Wii U's sound like when a disc is in. There are times when mine is pretty quiet and unnoticeable but at other times it sounds like it's spinning excessively fast or something. Just want to check if this is normal or if I should try my luck switching it in to get a quieter Wii U drive.

Normal.

Sure. The problem is that the same type of person who is easily confused (by Wii U or any system) is exactly the same type of person that made the Wii a huge success. Nintendo is not helping themselves one bit in a tight market by calling it a "Wii U" when a "3DS XL" exists.

The people who made the Wii a huge success have mostly moved on anyway. If Nintendo was banking on that market for their success, than they have a huge problem anyway.

Mine does this too.

rpmurphy

So with Miiverse I understand Nintendo reasons not to include achievement/trophies but it becomes an issue in the long-term when your old posts are buried by more games on the Miiverse lists and more posts that will stack up on yours.
Yeah, I hope they can add a favorites list that you can add posts to, a search engine in the backend for searching for post content, and some trending lists (like Twitter lol). At least for now, you can look at posts by user, by community (reverse chronological order or by popularity), and some games like NSMB has tags. However, over time as the Wii U community grows, it's going to become more about interaction with your friends and followers/followed users rather than the general community.

Drago

So.. I want a new Wave Race, F-Zero, Diddy Kong Racing, Star Fox, Snowboard Kids, Turok and Banjo. How are the chances ? ;)

Star Fox and F-Zero are possible, I'd say. I think I remember hearing that SF643D sold quite well, and Miyamoto seems to recognize that people want a new F-Zero, and putting a minigame based on it in NL must indicate something.
Wave Race is very unlikely.

Everything else has a big fat 0% chance of happening.

Wireless connections generally surpass your internet connection speed and then some, unless you have a bad wireless network.

MartyChin was complaining of poor performance over wired earlier in the thread. But that could be his own network issue, cabling being used, etc.

Well wired connections are inherently faster, so it should.

If your wireless network isn't outperforming your internet connection, you need a new wireless network.

If you have gigabit at every point you should be outdoing your wireless on an internal network, but even that can commonly revert to speeds slower than a good dual-band N router.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom