• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Release Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soi-Fong

So I only have Nintendo land but twice in a row starting the game, ive had my system lock up with a loud annoying beeping noise coming after and i can only turn off the system after unplugging. Anyo e else here?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
So I only have Nintendo land but twice in a row starting the game, ive had my system lock up with a loud annoying beeping noise coming after and i can only turn off the system after unplugging. Anyo e else here?

Yup. Happening to a lot of people. I would stay away from Nintendo Land right now.

J.W.Crazy

Right, every single product suffers from the exact same amount of everything. All companies try stuff, and stuff is a waste, and everything is the same.

Must be why Nintendo has repeatedly addressed the potential for confusion, something unique to the Wii-U and it's branding, that no console manufacturer has ever really faced outside of generic "well completely uninformed people don't even know the difference between Xbox and Playstation."

But anyways... perhaps not responding to false equivlenacy arguments would be better.. but it'd be nice if NeoGAF was remotely as honest and forthright as Nintendo is. They are refreshingly straightforward about their products. Their responses are usually extremely rational to questions, not "Nope, it doesn't exist."

Every console manufacturer tries to establish their next console as NEW. Show me Nintendo going out their way for Wii U where they didn't for any previous console because I haven't seen it. I've seen them being asked about it and responding with stock PR about how they're going to differentiate but that's about it.

I'm not saying it doesn't exist, I'm saying it doesn't matter. The Wii U may or may not do well but customer confusion isn't going to be one of the top 10 reasons if it doesn't and it didn't have anything to do with the slow start of the 3DS. If the people who are informed like it enough the uninformed will eventually come around.

So, first time I've had any lockups on my Wii U, and they happened twice in a row on nintendo land right when I was about to start an event... may try disabling miiverse and seeing if it works again then... but kinda put off to try more right now. The fact that both times it happened right when entering a game (first was metroid, second was zelda) tells me it's at least fairly repeatable.

Oh well, I guess I should just be happy it's taken this long for it to effect me... if it is somehow related to miiverse being down or something though they need to patch to bring up an error message or something instead of a catastrophic hard lock.

Kingven

You should be annoyed but worried???

I don't see why, it's not only you and they'll obviously have to try to fix the issues.

It happened to me twice in a row today... i stop playing it while they fix this problem... Btw Im enjoying ZombiU... highly recommended...

PD: I want Zelda Ocarina Of Time HD Remake!!! ... Do it NOA, do it...

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
So wtf is up with not being able to use the Wii U properly with a 4:3 TV? I hooked it up today to a different TV and realized there is no way to avoid screen cut off at the edges.
They gave you 6 years to save up for an HDTV and you wasted it, bro.

People having Nintendo Land crashes/hard locks... Disconnect yourself from Wi-Fi and all Internet then see if you still get crashes. It's working for me.

I have not search to see if this has been posted but I thought some of you may find this amusing

New York Times on what Wii U is facing and an all-star team weighs in.
Nintendo Confronts a Changed Video Game World
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/25/t...-changed-video-game-world.html?pagewanted=all

“I actually am baffled by it,” Nolan K. Bushnell, the founder of Atari and the godfather of the games business, says of the Wii U. “I don’t think it’s going to be a big success.”

I'm sure there will be a thread picking pieces out like the above because there are many little bits you can spin up. Just read it yourself.

It happened to me twice in a row today... i stop playing it while they fix this problem... Btw Im enjoying ZombiU... highly recommended...

PD: I want Zelda Ocarina Of Time HD Remake!!! ... Do it NOA, do it...

Nintendo isn't going to touch OoT again for a long long while, If you want a "HD" remake, the closest you'll get is the 3DS version, which is definitely worth it.

If you luck out, when Wii U gets n64 VC games, maybe they'll allow full HD scaling (N64 games on wii run at 4x their native resolution (640x480 versus most games default 320x240)) so at least there won't be polygonal jaggies.

C-Drive

These NintendoLand hard locks, are they coming when MiiVerse is on? I read on reddit that disabling MiiVerse stopped the hard locks for somebody.

Nintendo just never gets it, do they?

Seriously. They release a console that can't do HD then they release one that can't do SD properly. No middle ground.

I feel bad for people who want to play Wii U on a SDTV primarily. It's a severely crippled experience and there's no excuse for it.

Show me Nintendo going out their way for Wii U where they didn't for any previous console because I haven't seen it. I've seen them being asked about it and responding with stock PR about how they're going to differentiate but that's about it.

It was widely reported on that people were confused after the first E3 presentation.

Nintendo addressed it more than once, here's Iwata discussing it.

http://www.vg247.com/2011/06/10/iwa...own-says-wii-u-reveal-could-have-been-better/

"Because we put so much emphasis on the controller, there appeared to be some misunderstandings," Iwata said at the E3 computer games conference in Los Angeles, where he had introduced the Wii U to a cheering and whooping audience. "We should have made more effort to explain how it works."

Granted, that was partly addressing their presentation, but they continued to address how much more "complex" the system is later in interviews.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/wii-u-message-confusing-nintendo-6383049

we know that Wii U is a more complicated story and it takes some explaining to do to have consumers fully embrace it.

I'm not saying it doesn't exist, I'm saying it doesn't matter.

You outright said that the relative level of confusion doesn't exist, and that we are merely hearing more about it. No one ever claimed any other device hasn't had it's own confusion, it's just been suggested that Wii-U is having more of a problem. Nintendo themselves have hinted that the peripheral heavy Wii, and the lack of focus on the console hardware has confused people. Perhaps the name has as well, although I don't know I buy that either.

It also might clear up quickly.

Maybe it already has. You are right in suggestion that one instance of anecdotal evidence doesn't prove anything.

The Wii U may or may not do well but customer confusion isn't going to be one of the top 10 reasons if it doesn't and it didn't have anything to do with the slow start of the 3DS. If the people who are informed like it enough the uninformed will eventually come around.

That's fine. Completely possible. There also might currently be some confusion moreso than they themselves have faced in the past. Nintendo has never had a system before where they felt the need to explain to people that it is in fact a new system. This might be a unique position for them.. or it will be quickly forgotten.

Seriously. They release a console that can't do HD then they release one that can't do SD properly. No middle ground.

I feel bad for people who want to play Wii U on a SDTV primarily. It's a severely crippled experience and there's no excuse for it.

4:3 is the new hotness and as expected Nintendo is late to the party?

am I doing it rite?

NateDrake

Can't you just adjust the screen size from a setting option in Miiverse?

No thanks, hate the iPad version, just doesn't work with touch. Simple mouse and keyboard or dual analogue like 360. Multiplayer with separate screens would be cool but I'd really want it to be compatible with PC servers

I'm not saying play it on the pad, although it would work since it has sticks. I'm thinking more along the lines of all the blocks etc selectable from the pad and the world on the TV.

If you go into the setting and try to adjust the screen size it tells you straight away that if you hook the console to a 4:3 TV using the non-HDMI port that it will cut off the sides of the screen. There is no setting you can adjust and it cuts off the screen whether you're playing a game or in the menu. There are UI elements on the screen that can get lost completely because of this.

Lockups just dont magically start happening to everyone due to hardware, thankfully. If it's happening to many people, it's due to shitty netcode. Disconnect from wifi and if the issue goes away, someone needs to learn how to write better netcode.

Drago

For Miiverse and only Miiverse, yeah. Same thing for eShop and the internet browser.

It's not a system wide feature and it is a cryptic omission, especially because the option is there for apps, but not the entire system. I had to move the console into my bedroom because of it. :mad:

If you go into the setting and try to adjust the screen size it tells you straight away that if you hook the console to a 4:3 TV using the non-HDMI port that it will cut off the sides of the screen. There is no setting you can adjust and it cuts off the screen whether you're playing a game or in the menu. There are UI elements on the screen that can get lost completely because of this.

Still using an SDTV, so this is some ridiculous news.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Gah just had 2 hard locks on the NintendoLand controller setup screen.

Starting to get annoyed/worried.

I just had the exact same thing happen. Right when we'd connect the Wii controller, hard freeze.

This thing was clearly not quality tested before release.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
These NintendoLand hard locks, are they coming when MiiVerse is on? I read on reddit that disabling MiiVerse stopped the hard locks for somebody.

I'll try this tomorrow.

Kokonoe

Banned
I'm trying to figure out how I may contact Nintendo about a repair for my Wii U Game Pad, but it appears I can only call them. Is there anyway to e-mail them for a repair?

Hoodbury

Just had 3 lock ups in Nintendo Land as well. Once in the plaza, and twice in Pikmin. It's funny because we were playing it earlier today just fine. Only now tonight the lock ups happened.

These are my first locks/freezes I've had too.

Guess we'll switch over to Mario. It's too bad, but I guess it does make me feel better that it's happening to others all at the same time now. Must mean something all of a sudden happened tonight.

J.W.Crazy

It was widely reported on that people were confused after the first E3 presentation.

Nintendo addressed it more than once, here's Iwata discussing it.

http://www.vg247.com/2011/06/10/iwa...own-says-wii-u-reveal-could-have-been-better/

Granted, that was partly addressing their presentation, but they continued to address how much more "complex" the system is later in interviews.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/wii-u-message-confusing-nintendo-6383049

In response to interview questions. They aren't going out of their way to do it.

You outright said that the relative level of confusion doesn't exist, and that we are merely hearing more about it. No one ever claimed any other device hasn't had it's own confusion, it's just been suggested that Wii-U is having more of a problem. Nintendo themselves have hinted that the peripheral heavy Wii, and the lack of focus on the console hardware has confused people. Perhaps the name has as well, although I don't know I buy that either.

It also might clear up quickly.

Maybe it already has. You are right in suggestion that one instance of anecdotal evidence doesn't prove anything.

How does that go against what I said? You said that people on NeoGaf were saying it doesn't exist. I'm letting you know I don't agree with that. Consumer confusion exists but not in a meaningful way.

The bolded is at the core of my point. You're not going to hear reports about consumers walking in and getting exactly what they wanted. The same thing was suggested about the 3DS but a price drop and compelling games seem to have addressed the sales issue without the need to dedicate too much effort in explaining that it's a new system. The Wii U didn't even have a price or launch date set when people started suggesting it might be a problem. Consumers had barely heard about the thing and industry experts were sure no one would be able to make heads or tales of the situation. Nintendo's comments about potential confusion have almost always come in response to being asked about suggestions made before they had even finalized what the hardware looked like.

That's fine. Completely possible. There also might currently be some confusion moreso than they themselves have faced in the past. Nintendo has never had a system before where they felt the need to explain to people that it is in fact a new system. This might be a unique position for them.. or it will be quickly forgotten.

Where are they feeling the need to explain it more so than in the past? Having ADs say "All New Console" is pretty standard. Interviews on gaming websites were the respond to the question of possible confusion isn't them going out of their way and it's certainly not going out to the masses. You're suggesting they're doing something entirely abnormal but I honestly haven't seen it.

I'm trying to figure out how I may contact Nintendo about a repair for my Wii U Game Pad, but it appears I can only call them. Is there anyway to e-mail them for a repair?

If you email them they'll just tell you to call. I had to call about getting my gamepad repaired yesterday it wasn't too bad. I was on the phone maybe 15 minutes.

If it needs to be repaired they'll email you a shipping label and all the instructions about sending it in. They told me all Wii U repairs get free expedited shipping so it should only be 5-6 business days from the date you ship until you get it back.

I hope everything works out for you.

ugh why does gamestop.com not have eshop cards? I have enough power up rewards points to get $20 off any purchase and it would be really nice to be able to redeem that, buy a $20 card online and download Nano Assault and Might Switch Force. this stuff should be so commonplace now.

Mrbob

So has it been confirmed Nintendo is going to fix the account issue with digital content?

I bought a 500GB portable hdd, and I'd rather just buy content digitally than get a disc. Especially since we get a discount. However, having games locked to your hardware scares me in case something bad happens.

Somnia

So has it been confirmed Nintendo is going to fix the account issue with digital content?

I bought a 500GB portable hdd, and I'd rather just buy content digitally than get a disc. Especially since we get a discount. However, having games locked to your hardware scares me in case something bad happens.

If you have Nintendo fix it all your items will be moved, but ya I hope they fix it also.

Any idea when we should start expecting eShop stuff? Demos, etc?

I believe Zombi U demo was confirmed for Mid December (saw a tweet posted somewhere on here about it). We heard Rayman demo would be available for Euro launch, but not sure if it was mentioned for stateside release.

Ein Bear

Quick question about the System Transfer from the Wii. After you've moved your stuff over, is everything still stored on your original Wii as well, or is it completely wiped?

I believe Zombi U demo was confirmed for Mid December (saw a tweet posted somewhere on here about it). We heard Rayman demo would be available for Euro launch, but not sure if it was mentioned for stateside release.

Rayman demo was supposed to be available November 18th. Do any games support DLC yet?

Plinko

Quick question about the System Transfer from the Wii. After you've moved your stuff over, is everything still stored on your original Wii as well, or is it completely wiped?

Wiped.

Bloodsent

Been having the lockups in Nintendoland like lots of other people in here, but something else that seems off is that I occasionally will have the Gamepad loose connectivity to the console, when only like 7ft. away. I can understand loosing connectivity from a different room through walls, but not from the couch.

Yesterday someone asked if it's possible to charge WiiU controller with the USB cable while playing games and other stuff. Not sure what thread was it that's why I'm posting here. Well it looks like it's possible. We all know that WiiU controller has it's own AC Adapter but there is also a USB charge cable available for the WiiU controller, it's made by Nyko and it costs $14.99.

So if someone was looking for the way to do it Nyko has the solution for it.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Nyko---ChargeLink-USB-Charging-Cable-for-Wii-U-GamePad/6914733.p?id=1218813791935&skuId=6914733

Credit goes to ShingO 2K, thanks man :)

wow wtf , my gamepad was going crazy and disconnecting every couple minutes when playing zombiu , really dumb when it makes me go straight into a zombie when i want to go back

i just lost two survivors in zombiu because of that :/ smh fuck, yup im mad

*turns off game*, it was laggy even in the home menu. what the hell

Nothings going to change about it, it's exactly the same as what Nintendo used in the Wii era with WiiWare and the Virtual Console, and in their eyes it worked perfectly fine. Nintendo doesn't change things that they don't see a problem with.

Nothing to be scared about, as Somnia said if your system breaks Nintendo will move the account to the replacement system they send you (assuming they send you a replacement and don't just fix your system).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom