• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Release Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ein Bear

Bah, shame. :/

Think I'll just leave my old Wii as it is then, there doesn't really seem to be any benefit to moving stuff over. I have some US games on my PAL Wii that I won't be able to play on the Wii U anyway, and I'd be a bit sad to have all the playtime records on my Wii wiped off.

Sushigod7

Been having the lockups in Nintendoland like lots of other people in here, but something else that seems off is that I occasionally will have the Gamepad loose connectivity to the console, when only like 7ft. away. I can understand loosing connectivity from a different room through walls, but not from the couch.

Nintendoland lock ups are so annoying I can barely get through a game and it dumps. I love the game though just as much as I thought I would.

MrMephistoX

Companies spend lots of time doing lots of things that end up being a huge waste. There was some amount of confusion when the Super Nintendo came out. There was confusion with all the Genesis iterations and add-ons. People have always purchased games for the wrong console regardless of how different the names were or how well established the brands were. The 3DS wasn't the first time people didn't know if it was a new console or just a new version of the old one and it won't be the last. The only difference between now and 20 years ago is wide spread access to the internet. It's not happening more, you're just hearing about it more.

You'd have to be a bit slow to not recognize the differences between a SNES and a NES whereas 3DS and DS Lite or Wii and the Wii U are nigh identical aesthetically speaking sorry but the Internet has nothing to do with the confusion. If anything Nintendo took a page out of the Genesis design play book and is worse for it.

VerTiGo

Banned
So far I own Tekken, Ninja Gaiden, Darksiders 2, and ZombieU. I think I love all these games... Darksiders 2 is my most played at this point however... played Nintendoland for 20 mins and then never again.

MrMephistoX

So far I own Tekken, Ninja Gaiden, Darksiders 2, and ZombieU. I think I love all these games... Darksiders 2 is my most played at this point however... played Nintendoland for 20 mins and then never again.

Hate getting into the launch hype but I was so busy with my Masters program that I missed Black Ops 2, Darksiders and Assasins Creed...awfully tempting.

If you ever have friends over, you might find it worthwhile to check out the Luigi's Mansion mini-game in Nintendo Land. Even my friends that basically actively dislike video games had a lot of fun with it.

I didn't realize people weren't aware of [SDTV not working with Wii U]. I might take a screen grab and make a thread.

This was the first time I've ever heard of it. It means that when it comes time for me to get a Wii U, it will cost me >$600 instead of $300, as I sure ain't getting a TV that's shorter than my current CRT.

If this isn't somehow fixed, then it's going to take… I dunno… new TimeSplitters and a Wii U specific version of Civilization to win me over. :|

Come on, Nintendo. These are games. I thought you of all companies understood that they needn't burn gigantic holes in your pocket!

It's depressing looking at the nano assault leader boards. The game is worth the 10$, they also added 2 player local co-op.

How easy is it to buy a download-only game with the Wii U's interface? Is it fast to get to new games, and is there a listing of popular or recommended games that shows up readily without having to hunt for it? Can it be browsed on the GamePad only?

I am wondering if the shop is streamlined enough to make people interested in actually shopping on it.

I'm still deciding what to get. None of my usuals are there, so I want to get something new to play - not repetitive to the point of tedium, and perhaps with good music. I'm sure I won't get into ZombiU, so that's out...

Shame - I don't think that any of Wii U's launch games compare to The Last Story, which I'm currently playing. I don't know... I'd get AC3 had I not seen it played already. Same for Batman.

zroid

Banned
I probably would have bought Nano Assault Neo already if I could share a $20 card's value between 3DS and Wii U. Just purchased Crashmo, so...

Chairhome

I had a few lockups on the second day I had it. I moved it back to horizontal instead of vertical and haven't had a lock up since, but it could be coincidence. My brother bought one and has had constant gamepad disconnects. Sucks. He's probably going to have to call Nintendo about it.

I HATE not being able to check on Miiverse while I'm at work. What is wrong with me?

How easy is it to buy a download-only game with the Wii U's interface? Is it fast to get to new games, and is there a listing of popular or recommended games that shows up readily without having to hunt for it? Can it be browsed on the GamePad only?

I am wondering if the shop is streamlined enough to make people interested in actually shopping on it.

It's extremely easy, and it's on the very front page(along with Switch Force which is sitting next to Mario!). You can be at the purchase button in one click if I'm not mistaken.

You know, I really like just loading up the system and spending a minute or two looking at the comments and pictures on the Warawara plaza. The whole interface makes it really inviting to just jump into the community and leave some comments or what have you. And yeah, I know we're getting a super-filtered version what with both the Nintendo filter plus the early-adopter enthusiasts tending not to be as douchey (I remember the first few months of XBL on the 360 where it was actually a pleasant experience) but it's nice to have an experience that's largely positive and with other excited gamers.

Huh that's what lock ups mean? Shit then it was that for ZombiU

I'll have to try Mario and scribblenauts later today then :(

smh it just happens all of a sudden , I have been playing problem free all week

Soi-Fong

The internet browser is amazing. The Wii U is on the basement; I'm on the floor above in the washroom... Gotdamn this is awesome!! Who needs an iPad! lol

I really like the idea of Miiverse right now, but I don't seeing it having any longevity for me. Basically a cool gimmick that I won't use unless, for whatever reason, a shit ton of my friends get a Wii U, which is doubtful.

I'm not that excited to see dumb comments by random strangers that I have 0% chance of seeing again.

It works great for Nintendo Land (mainly because of the Miis walking around your plaza). But it is really lame in Mario U so far. And I don't see it being any better for any of my other Wii U games (Darksiders 2, Zombi U, Scribblenauts, Sonic Racing).

Soi-Fong

everyone? I want one :(

actually I would buy a second gamepad by now if they sold them separately

Lol We have 5 in the house. One first gen iPad (with water damage...), two second gen iPad, one third gen iPad and my dad just got an iPad mini, but seriously, the browser on the Wii U is just amazing. Best browser of any console. Hope Microsoft and Sony take notes.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
What determines what game icons appear on the wii u home screen? They sometimes appear in different locations, but the games don't change. Even if I play new games, like why isnt Darksiders show up? It's what I'm playing

Patience. The smart phone apps are coming...which is when Miiverse will significantly lower my productivity.
I'm right there with you.

Really?

I did not know anyone felt this way about Miiverse at least not this soon. I guess you'll be getting that Smartphone or PC version when it comes?

I have not gotten into Miiverse as much I expected so far

I can say it's actually making playing games even more fun. I like using it in Zombi, such as snapping a shot of an undead survivor before you kill them, or just asking a question and getting a quick answer. I like how it's done in Mario though, which the notes left by friends about various things. Maybe it's fun for me because I skipped out on myspace and face book, and having a social network geared toward actively gaming(and netflix) is just good at the moment.

Im having TONS of fun with it. It's similar in combat to 2, has co-op, and has a steep learning curve, but it fixed the issues with its original release.h Id say get it. Also, ayane sections rock.

Wait, what controller do they play co-op with? Can they play with Wiimote, or is it only online, or...?

Wehrwolf

So, considering how little its mentioned on this thread, how it only has one single review on metacritic (1 press review, no user reviews)... Was I the only one gullible enough to buy Transformers Prime?

piteru

Banned
So I'm getting my wiiu next week with Mario nintendoland and zombiu.I will also buy blops 2 and ng on January(Europe) as well as most of the eshop games.anything else?ac3,batman,tekken,tank tank and darksiders 2?should I avoid them?

So I'm getting my wiiu next week with Mario nintendoland and zombiu.I will also buy blops 2 and ng on January(Europe) as well as most of the eshop games.anything else?ac3,batman,tekken,tank tank and darksiders 2?should I avoid them?

I think the general consenus is avoid Batman. I'm pretty sure AC3, TTT2 and DS2 are fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom