• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Release Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can vouch for Tekken. That game is awesome, plays nice on the pad, and off screen play is like a treasure to gaming with this one in particular for training mode.

markatisu

So, considering how little its mentioned on this thread, how it only has one single review on metacritic (1 press review, no user reviews)... Was I the only one gullible enough to buy Transformers Prime?

I got it, I think its actually pretty good. The driving can kinda suck but I am enjoying it

Its a licensed game, bar is not set very high and it looks like the show

Multiplayer with Wiimote?

How's the online?

Haven't tried local multi yet, so I can only say the pro controller will work for certain with it. I played about 12 online matches yesterday, and all of them were quick and lag free for the most part. I don't ever remember a hiccup or anything happening during actual gameplay. Definitely nice on my end of things.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
So whats the general consensus with the pro controller? Worthy addition or is the gamepad more than enoigh?

I bought one, but haven't had a reason to even open it yet really.
I don't know what advantages it has over the pad, now that I've seen all the benefits of pad-enhanced play. Probably local multiplayer, should the need arise.

As for the above poster, I'm having a blast with Darksiders II.
It's really good on Wii U in terms of looks and performance, 3 hours in so far.

I've played 2 hours of in my bedroom (wii u is in living room), lying on my bed, playing on the wii pad screen. It's actually super comfortable and the best part of the wii u so far.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
So whats the general consensus with the pro controller? Worthy addition or is the gamepad more than enoigh?

I remember certain reviewers preferring the pro controller for games like ninja gaiden 3, but a gaffer here didn't recommend it after playing Tekken with it.

Personally, I don't think there are that many games out that really need the controller but I want one for when that time comes.

I haven't played a game with one yet, but I've held it. From that, I still think it's a pointless purchase unless you intend to play multiplayer or are worried about possible battery life issues. It feels great though, and seems like it would be nice to play with if you choose to.

Medalion

Banned
I have played BLOPS2 with both pro and gamepad

I have had no problem with either

But with the gamepad, I can hook up my headset to it to have voice chat whereas the Pro you still have to plug to the gamepad which feels weird

Medalion

Banned
How are you supposed to get back to the wiiu menu while playing black ops? Home button is disabled.....

You have to keep hitting the back button, or to exit out of the online mode... there are certain modes/screens that disable the home button, you have to exit to the title menu pretty much

Roo

My internet speed is nothing to be proud of so I was wondering... if I decide to download let's say.. AC3 (which is 17GB) I'll have to leave the Wii U on all night to download the game but what happens if I lose conection, the console freezes or whatever roughly 2GB away from installing it? Can I download it again with no extra cost? it just get "paused"? Do I lose that money?

Want to buy some digital games, but my internet/router hates me sometimes =C

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
You have to keep hitting the back button, or to exit out of the online mode... there are certain modes/screens that disable the home button, you have to exit to the title menu pretty much

Yeah, it's extremely irritating. They shouldn't have to disable the home button if you're not in a lobby or game. Every time I have to load up campaign (takes about 15 seconds) just to be able to press home, pretty stupid.

My internet speed is nothing to be proud of so I was wondering... if I decide to download let's say.. AC3 (which is 17GB) I'll have to leave the Wii U on all night to download the game but what happens if I lose conection, the console freezes or whatever roughly 2GB away from installing it? Can I download it again with no extra cost? it just get "paused"? Do I lose that money?

Want to buy some digital games, but my internet/router hates me sometimes =C

You can resume downloads from where you left off. In terms of digital distribution, you should be able to redownload the game any amount of times as long as the account you bought the game is still linked to the console.

Roo

You can resume downloads from where you left off. In terms of digital distribution, you should be able to redownload the game any amount of times as long as the account you bought the game is still linked to the console.

I see, thanks for the reply.
I'll try to get a new router next week just to be sure.

stupei

I've been playing my Deluxe with relatives all week and now I'm told two of my cousins are getting it as a Christmas gift. One is 19, the other is 10.

Mostly I'm excited to have someone to use Wii U Chat with come December. The older cousin is the person I spend the most time gaming with in my family, so it should be fun. (He's also really excited about ZombiU.) His girlfriend almost never plays games, but she loved everything in Nintendoland, so he was won over pretty quickly. In fact, several people who never play games in the family (outside of Wii Sports bowling) participated in Mario Chase. That turned out to be the overall winner, in fact, beating out Luigi.

The only criticism anyone seemed to have is that the replay should include the Gamepad camera of the person playing Mario, because everyone makes really hilarious faces when the timer starts running out.

I'm actually enjoying Nintendoland much more in one week than I ever did Wii Sports. It's strange and not at all what I expected.

Jeramii

Banned
Five more days.

what's in five more days? when you get your system?

also. I scored a Wii U the other day. I was very sad to see that gamertags are locked to systems. I created my standard gamertag I used on PS3 and 360 (which is also my Neogaf name) on launch day using KilgoreTrout's Wii U. Didn't think it would be system locked. What a bummer.

Finished NSMBU. Never played Wii, just NSMB2. Great, great game. Now to go back and hunt for more Star Coins.
I wasn't planning on it but Superstar Road tempts me. Dammit.

Haven't tried local multi yet, so I can only say the pro controller will work for certain with it. I played about 12 online matches yesterday, and all of them were quick and lag free for the most part. I don't ever remember a hiccup or anything happening during actual gameplay. Definitely nice on my end of things.

Cool. I'm going to end up trying out at least one new type of game with Wii U.

Either the hyper action and difficulty of NG3:RE, a serious fighter in TTT2 or a racer (not that new) in SASRT and then Trine 2 if I get that.

Decisions...

I don't actually have the game - I was just saying what the general consensus is. If you want to know more about problems or whatnot, here's the GAF review thread.

I've played through the entire game on Xbox 360. Only a half hour in to AE and I can say it plays and looks the same to me. I should note though that I last played the 360 version over a year ago. A newcomer to the game? I don't think they're missing anything with AE, even if the Gamepad is more gimmicky than useful. B.A.T. mode is pretty neat, even if it does essentially put the game into easy mode.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I had not had any locks since I tossed my NintendoLand disc on the table and started playing other launch titles.

NintendoLand needs an update

Can you skip updates completely? If it only adds miiverse stuff I'd happily play Nintendoland without the first update until they patch it again.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
what's in five more days? when you get your system?

Aussie launch. Looking forward to hitting my store early to grab NSMBU and ZombiU along with my Premium system, trecking home and screwing around for the day.

I've played through the entire game on Xbox 360. Only a half hour in to AE and I can say it plays and looks the same to me. I should note though that I last played the 360 version over a year ago. A newcomer to the game? I don't think they're missing anything with AE, even if the Gamepad is more gimmicky than useful. B.A.T. mode is pretty neat, even if it does essentially put the game into easy mode.

Would you suggest getting it over the cheaper GotY edition? I haven't played the game at all, but it doesn't seem like much would warrant getting it at the higher price.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I have not search to see if this has been posted but I thought some of you may find this amusing

New York Times on what Wii U is facing and an all-star team weighs in.
Nintendo Confronts a Changed Video Game World
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/25/t...-changed-video-game-world.html?pagewanted=all

“I actually am baffled by it,” Nolan K. Bushnell, the founder of Atari and the godfather of the games business, says of the Wii U. “I don’t think it’s going to be a big success.”

I'm sure there will be a thread picking pieces out like the above because there are many little bits you can spin up. Just read it yourself.

Wii was motion gimmicks, iPad and iPhone is touch gimmicks. Neither means permanently changing tastes with consumers. I'd argue that lots of iPhone stuff is replacing web games and portable machines, doesn't mean it's replacing home consoles.

I hope that after that all blows up, just sitting down with a controller will still be valid.

Linkhero1

I can vouch for Tekken. That game is awesome, plays nice on the pad, and off screen play is like a treasure to gaming with this one in particular for training mode.

Pretty much. It's a safe game to get. I had some framerate issues but that was during the Nintendo extra gimmick mushroom hell mode. Haven't had any issues playing normal Vs or single player.

CryptiK

This better be good:

159832_detail.jpg

Wii was motion gimmicks, iPad and iPhone is touch gimmicks. Neither means permanently changing tastes with consumers. I'd argue that lots of iPhone stuff is replacing web games and portable machines, doesn't mean it's replacing home consoles.

I hope that after that all blows up, just sitting down with a controller will still be valid.

why do you think touch control is a gimmick?

farnham

Banned
Since when did nolan bushnells analysis mean anything about a consoles success?

Atari is dead (incl. the infogrammes Atari) while nintendo lives. Somewhere yamauchi or iwata made right calls where bushnell or his successors didnt

BLOPs is the only game I own I haven't posted in the miiverse in. Wish we could post pictures from the online portion.

Treyarch posted on their own forums that they're looking into a patch to let you use the Home button from the online mode. Not sure if this will mean during actual online gameplay though and how that will work with screenshots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom