• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Release Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, bad choice of words. I like touch in some things, but it isn't suited to a large number of games. Gimmick was the wrong word - limited was perhaps better.

okay, that makes a lot more sense. I agree as it happens, touch isn't really suitable for games outside of select uses so I hope it doesn't encroach too much on the core gaming experience next gen.

Pretty much. I returned mine last night, though, mine wasn't third party.

I wonder why nintendo chose the button layout they did. does microsoft have a patent on their controller or something? they copied everything but the stick / button layout. why didn't they just go all in and copy the controller wholesale.

the button layout has always struck me as odd, but this image really makes it's stand out. what were nintendo thinking with the button layout, it doesn't look easy or comfortable to use at all.

I'm assuming it has to do with the fact that it would look exactly like a 360 controller and I'm sure MS has that locked down.

batbeg

Treyarch posted on their own forums that they're looking into a patch to let you use the Home button from the online mode. Not sure if this will mean during actual online gameplay though and how that will work with screenshots.

So long as you could take shots of theater mode that would really clear everything up.

I'm assuming it has to do with the fact that it would look exactly like a 360 controller and I'm sure MS has that locked down.

I thought as much. still, this is nintendo, I can't believe they made such a misstep on the pro controller. I expect that kind fo thing from sony or microsoft, nintendo have always brought their a game when it comes to developing controllers.

5 days the wait is killing me

just over 5 days left. it honestly feels like clocks are slowing down as we get closer.

The Pro controller feels great, so don't worry. I personally just stick with the gamepad, but if you are considering a Pro, I can tell you that it feels just fine. A friend of mine has one and after fiddling with it for a bit, it's a great traditional controller. There is nothing awkward or weird about it when you are actually holding it.

Linkhero1

The Pro controller feels great, so don't worry. I personally just stick with the gamepad, but if you are considering a Pro, I can tell you that it feels just fine. A friend of mine has one and after fiddling with it for a bit, it's a great traditional controller. There is nothing awkward or weird about it when you are actually holding it.

I mentioned it in one of my earlier posts. It feels awkward because it's a bit wider than the 360 controller. It's especially annoying when I have to move my thumb down to press a button. I feel uncomfortable at the joint between my hand and my thumb. Another issue is that the right stick sometimes gets in the way, at least when I was playing Tekken, which is why I mentioned that this controller might not be that great for fighters. My primary gaming machine was a 360, so I'm used to how great the 360 controller is (aside from a shitty d-pad) and to move from that to the Pro controller shows how much inferior the Pro controller really is. I do think the sticks are great and the battery life is awesome. Here's hoping for a redesign or GC Pro controller.

so the button layout doesn't make it awkward and fiddly to use? it doesn't look very easy to use because of the button layout. design wise, I'm not surprised it's comfortable, the 360 controller is one of the most comfortable controllers I've used, so that's not surprising, it's the position of the face button in relation to the stick that looks awkward and difficult to use.

I mentioned it in one of my earlier posts. It feels awkward because it's a bit wider than the 360 controller. It's especially annoying when I have to move my thumb down to press a button. I feel uncomfortable at the joint between my hand and my thumb. Another issue is that the right stick sometimes gets in the way, at least when I was playing Tekken, which is why I mentioned that this controller might not be that great for fighters. My primary gaming machine was a 360, so I'm used to how great the 360 controller is (aside from a shitty d-pad) and to move from that to the Pro controller shows how much inferior the Pro controller really is. I do think the sticks are great and the battery life is awesome. Here's hoping for a redesign or GC Pro controller.

this was main concern. my primary console is also the xbox 360, so I think I'll just avoid the pro controller for now. I keep flipping back and forth on whether to buy the zombiu bundle with the pro controller or just get the standard premium and buy games elsewhere.

Linkhero1

this was main concern. my primary console is also the xbox 360, so I think I'll just avoid the pro controller for now. I keep flipping back and forth on whether to buy the zombiu bundle with the pro controller or just get the standard premium and buy games elsewhere.

Honestly, if you can get your hands on it and see for yourself it might be best, but there are others who share my views as well. Also if you like how heavy you 360 controller feels then you're going to miss that feeling. It's pretty light compared to the 360 controller.

so the button layout doesn't make it awkward and fiddly to use? it doesn't look very easy to use because of the button layout. design wise, I'm not surprised it's comfortable, the 360 controller is one of the most comfortable controllers I've used, so that's not surprising, it's the position of the face button in relation to the stick that looks awkward and difficult to use.

It wasn't the least bit awkward to me. It just looks weird because of the orientation of things, but once I actually held it, I never had an issue after that. You may want to check Linkhero1's post above though. The controller may be weird if you were used to the 360. I didn't game much on the 360 pad when I had it, and sold it shortly after trying to play SF4 on it. I haven't had one for years now, so that may be why the Pro isn't odd for me.

Honestly, if you can get your hands on it and see for yourself it might be best, but there are others who share my views as well. Also if you like how heavy you 360 controller feels then you're going to miss that feeling. It's pretty light compared to the 360 controller.

This actually bugged me about the Dual Shock 3 as well. I hated the weight of the vanilla one so much. I always felt like I would flick it out of my hands or something.

ASIS

I don't mean to be a downer or anything, but I just realized that Pikmin 3 could have been a launch title, and we could have been playing it right now. Oh well :(

gah, I just can't decide. I think I'll go for it. the worst that can happen is that I don't like it and have to sell it.

It wasn't the least bit awkward to me. It just looks weird because of the orientation of things, but once I actually held it, I never had an issue after that. You may want to check Linkhero1's post above though. The controller may be weird if you were used to the 360. I didn't game much on the 360 pad when I had it, and sold it shortly after trying to play SF4 on it. I haven't had one for years now, so that may be why the Pro isn't odd for me.

I think I'll give it a go. it's only £40 for the controller and a copy of zombiu. the worst that can happen is I don't get on with it and have to sell it.

thank you both for the impressions, they have been really informative and helped shaped expectations. thanks again.

majik13

the button layout has always struck me as odd, but this image really makes it's stand out. what were nintendo thinking with the button layout, it doesn't look easy or comfortable to use at all.

It really isnt much different, or worse other than learning it.

And it makes sense as to why the controller is laid out like this.

1. They need to keep parity with the gamepad. So button layout is in tact.

2. The gampad is laid out like this so that you are not reaching over thumbsticks to access either the touchscreen or buttons.

Bonus. It looks cleaner.

There really isnt anything uncomfortable about the layout. We have had thumbsticks on the top on the xbox for 2 gens on the left side. was that uncomfortable? what would make the right side any different? especially when games make the top X and A buttons, the main buttons

majik13

BLOPs is the only game I own I haven't posted in the miiverse in. Wish we could post pictures from the online portion.

the propably wont change it, as hitting home pauses the game. I dont think home button worked during online play on any wii games either. Even MK.

But they do need to add it when in menus, and especially if you are just doing local multiplayer as well. I dont see any point for its exclusion in those 2 instances.

gah, I just can't decide. I think I'll go for it. the worst that can happen is that I don't like it and have to sell it.

I think I'll give it a go. it's only £40 for the controller and a copy of zombiu. the worst that can happen is I don't get on with it and have to sell it.

thank you both for the impressions, they have been really informative and helped shaped expectations. thanks again.

Not a problem. We are here to help! What games are you planning on getting outside of Zombie(which is nearly stellar from my play time with it)? You do know you can't use the pro with it right?

Edit: I think you can in multiplayer, but I havent tried it yet.

NeoRausch

i just realised something.

we were never able to transfare our wii download games from one wii to another, right?

and out of nowhere it is possible? the Wii mode in the wii u is more or less a full wii downgrade. so you are transfaring all the games from one wii to another.

why wasn't that possible before? as if this tool wouldn't have worked between two wiis.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
So does anyone have his WiiU hooked up to a PC Monitor ? How does it look on a 1080p 24 inch monitor ?

@weird
It was always possible ( homebrew proofed it), but Nintendo just didnt gave a damn about it.

Not a problem. We are here to help! What games are you planning on getting outside of Zombie(which is nearly stellar from my play time with it)? You do know you can't use the pro with it right?

Edit: I think you can in multiplayer, but I havent tried it yet.

I think I read something along those lines as well.

this is my current want list,

New Super Mario Bros. U
Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed
Assassin’s Creed III
ZombiU
Batman: Arkham City Armoured Edition / Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge

I was hoping to to use the pro controller to play batman and assassins creed 3, but after all the impressions about how bad batman performs, I'm thinking about swapping it out for ninja gaiden 3.

as much as I don't want to support tecmo / team ninja after what they did with the 360 / ps3 versions, I would rather have that than a game that's not technical mess like batman reportedly is.

I really doubt they shipped the same amount as 2006.
What makes you say this?
This better be good:

159832_detail.jpg
Noticed that on Amazon. Though of course I'm wary of a third party controller, both its design and claim that it can be used as a Pro Controller or a Wii Remote for fuller compatibility make it interesting.
Clay Davis said:
I wonder why nintendo chose the button layout they did. does microsoft have a patent on their controller or something? they copied everything but the stick / button layout. why didn't they just go all in and copy the controller wholesale.
I imagine the biggest reason is to not have a big layout discrepancy between Gamepad and Pro Controller. It's also filling the role of the Classic Controller on Wii, so stick/buttons aren't necessarily more important for it than d-pad/buttons.

Quite a few Wii U's were at my local Walmart but decided to wait and pick one up sometime next year.

I have way to many 360 games on backlog.

Holy Carb I just learned that the official Nintendo distributer in the MiddlecEast will sell the Wii U for an equivalent of $1120 - $1333 US! The official distributer mission was to prevent retailers jacking up the prices and they did a good job until now! What a scam.

BowieZ

Banned
http://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/85809

$299 for a Basic
$379 for a Deluxe

Going to get my price match on at JB because whilst I like K-Mart's price, I don't like them enough to actually shop at the awful place.
Hehe I found that just as you posted. (Thanks Vooks!) So cheaper in Australia than America (when including tax)! Crazy!

Well looks like I'mma do a couple of trade-ins and price-matching with EB Games. Will try get it down to $250-ish.

alright, am i missing something with the netflix app? im getting only audio coming out of the tv and no video. it plays fine off the gamepad but no image when i try to watch it on the tv. strange.

ASIS

Holy Carb I just learned that the official Nintendo distributer in the MiddlecEast will sell the Wii U for an equivalent of $1120 - $1333 US! The official distributer mission was to prevent retailers jacking up the prices and they did a good job until now! What a scam.

That's always the case with in the Middle East, this is nothing new. The price will drop to normal in 2 weeks, if not less.

Treyarch posted on their own forums that they're looking into a patch to let you use the Home button from the online mode. Not sure if this will mean during actual online gameplay though and how that will work with screenshots.
YES, I'm sick of not being able to use to home button online.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I don't mean to be a downer or anything, but I just realized that Pikmin 3 could have been a launch title, and we could have been playing it right now. Oh well :(

We'll be thankful to have it in the middle of the dead winter when nothing on Wii U is coming out.

Of course, it won't be out until midway through Spring. Oh well.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
For PAL gafers, pick up ZombiU. Incredibly unique title. Really enjoying it so far.

For PAL gafers, pick up ZombiU. Incredibly unique title. Really enjoying it so far.

it's a day one purchase for me. I am getting others, but the impressions are so varied that I don't know if I should bother buying anything other than super mario u and maybe ninja gaiden 3.

this is my to buy list.

New Super Mario Bros. U
Assassin’s Creed III
ZombiU - bundle
Batman: Arkham City Armoured Edition / Ninja Gaiden 3: razor's Edge

it's a day one purchase for me. I am getting others, but the impressions are so varied that I don't know if I should bother buying anything other than super mario u and maybe ninja gaiden 3.

this is my to buy list.

New Super Mario Bros. U
Assassin’s Creed III
ZombiU - bundle
Batman: Arkham City Armoured Edition / Ninja Gaiden 3: razor's Edge

Ninja Gaiden isn't making the EU launch I'm afraid mate.

Ninja Gaiden isn't making the EU launch I'm afraid mate.

it's not? I was sure it was. that makes the decision easier. I'll forego batman and buy the others and pick up ninja gaiden 3 when it comes out to make sure the console has a steady of games until some more games are released in the new year.

oh wow u can play something on youtube using the browser, send it to the back and browse a different site while the video plays in the background

it's not? I was sure it was. that makes the decision easier. I'll forego batman and buy the others and pick up ninja gaiden 3 when it comes out to make sure the console has a steady of games until some more games are released in the new year.

Unfortunately not, I didn't buy 3 and was quite looking forward to this version but ah well.

I've already ordered Tekken ( thehut.com sells it for £29.99 and there are loads of 10% discount codes around)

and I'll get the ZombiU bundle from the HMV midnightlaunch and hopefully get there early enough to guarantee two free Wii U games!

ThankeeSai

My God, this week is going to be a killer. So near....Yet so far :(

Anyway, launch for me is ZombiU, Nano Assault and Trine 2. Was really looking forward to Scribblenauts, but that's delayed, too....<sigh>.

Madn

Probably old, but in the FAQs of the nintendo site there's written that with Nintendo Network Premium you get 8 points for every euro spent and at 500 points you get a 5€ discount. So that's 5€ less every 62,5€ spent, or 8% discount

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom