• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Release Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

aza

Mario Sunshine 2
Give it to me
In HD
Now
Do it
Nintendo
Do it

j3VUW.jpg

One can dream.

I hate any and all games that have me holding the gamepad out in front of me using it like a camera or using the motion on it to move+aim. NO. No no no no. Lame mechanic is lame.

Fox Mulder

I hate any and all games that have me holding the gamepad out in front of me using it like a camera or using the motion on it to move+aim. NO. No no no no. Lame mechanic is lame.

Is a neat thing,and it's not like every game will do it.

Give me a WiiU Pokemon snap or fatal frame..we won't get either.

jmls1121

Banned
I had 4 player Nintendo land and sonic racing going last night and this morning. I think we played for around 8 or 9 hours. Nintendo land is the best multiplayer game I've played in years and gave me vibes of n64 multiplayer. I really hope who ever made NL makes the next Mario party. Can't believe all the negativity on gaf for the wii u, I'm loving the hell out of it.

The GAF members who are enjoying the console are playing the hell out of the thing, not posting on GAF.

And the Miiverse has been a breath of fresh air compared to this place since launch day.

you think well get a future direct to announce the next big games, or will we have to wait until E3?

E3 is in June (July?). We only have games announced through the end of the fiscal year (March).

I don't think we'll go through 3+ months of draught only to be teased games we'll get in additional 1-6 months.

If I had to guess, we'll get a new ND at the start of the year, and another one at the end of the fiscal year. I also expect any good announcements will be made prior to E3 as E3 is more or less dead to hardcore gaming from the big 3. They prefer events where they have full control and full attention.

Kerub

Banned
On the topic of games we want to see on Wii U, Metroid Prime is still my most wanted. Scanning things by holding the gamepad in front of the TV. <3

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony

... is a gimmick that I hope no serious gaming company would ever do.

I'm actually rather glad Nintendo is evidently not a serious gaming company. So there's hope we'll see more fun things. I do feel sympathy for people who may be aggravated at an uninterrupted continuation of fun though.

you think well get a future direct to announce the next big games, or will we have to wait until E3?

I'm thinking that this "Yoshi's Land Wii U" will get announced sometime in Nintendo Direct. Although this is based off of my belief that the random cuts of the ND hosts looking at fruits are a tease to the fruit which was all over in Yoshi's Story. It could just be some random thing that they're doing for no reason or it could also just mean something completely different.

Regardless, I think Nintendo certainly would announce some new games before E3 as the currently announced games aren't really enough to hold off until E3 where we see the unveil of one of Nintendo's big, stable IPs (likely the 3D Mario I'm guessing).

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
When can we expect a nintendo direct focused on Wii U games? I need to see how my pikmin 3, Wii Fit U and Game and Wario are doing.

Either December or January I expect. Nintendo hasn't announced release dates for 2013 games yet in any region so at the very least we will get that.

I do expect a few new first party games to be announced before E3.

WiiU wish list:
-1080° (In the same vein as Avalanche)
-Wave Race (In the same vein as Blue Storm)
-Battalion Wars U
-Chibi Robo
-Custom Robo (Where the hell is NOISE?)
-Rodea The Sky Soldier (Needs an uprezzed eShop port)

Oh, whoever made Nintendoland needs to make the next Mario Party.

I'm actually rather glad Nintendo is evidently not a serious gaming company. So there's hope we'll see more fun things. I do feel sympathy for people who may be aggravated at an uninterrupted continuation of fun though.

When I say 'serious' gaming company... I mean a company that doesn't want to needlessly aggrevate their customers by forcing you to do something that doesn't add to the game and only exists as a flimsy attempt at "immersion".

Using the gamepad to "scan" something is much the equivalent to the Wii's initial "waggle" problem. If used properly it MAY add fun and excitement to a game or series, but in practice it's generally just a gimmick that gets old after one or two times.

But please, continue to assume that every statement is a generalized anti-Nintendo statement. It's very endearing to people that agree with you :p

J.W.Crazy

"Some people are confused about every product" is a very simple way of looking at it. What you are referring too is a study Apple used in court where people would often identify Galaxy S2's (IIRC) in store as iPhones. That's barely even relative to this discussion, as the issue there was that they.. do look pretty similar. And many people think the iPhone is the only phone that looks that way. So they walk into a store, see a rectangle with a screen with icons, and go "iPhone." Not remotely relevant to a device being identified as a successor to a previous device.

Nintendo themselves discussed the potential confusion after their first E3 showing.

No, I was referring to people literally reacting to the verdict of that case. People I've encountered in my own life as well as online anecdotes like this.

The point is people often times don't even know the name of the product they own, let alone the ones they want, or even what it is. Historically in the video games industry it hasn't been a large enough issue to worry about. People were buying the wrong system or games 20 years ago and they'll continue to do it in the future regardless of how well it's marketed or how different the names are.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The killer app for the touch controller would be Minecraft. Come on, Notch, make it happen.

No thanks, hate the iPad version, just doesn't work with touch. Simple mouse and keyboard or dual analogue like 360. Multiplayer with separate screens would be cool but I'd really want it to be compatible with PC servers

The point is people often times don't even know the name of the product they own, let alone the ones they want, or even what it is.

Right, and my point was: it's all relative. Not all devices have equally the same consumer confusion, certainly not all "video game console successors."

Companies spend a lot of time agaonizing over how to name products, their successors, etc. for that very reason. Many companies completely change their branding over time to deal with various levels of consumer confusion (and other issues.)

So claiming "well I once saw someone call a Galaxy an iPhone" doesn't address whether or not relative to other consoles Nintendo's new offering is confusing consumers.

Kerub

Banned
I just hope the D-Pad is good on the pro controller. I remember the Wii D-Pad to be great, it was perfect for platformers like NSMB.

J.W.Crazy

Right, and my point was: it's all relative. Not all devices have equally the same consumer confusion, certainly not all "video game console successors."

Companies spend a lot of time agaonizing over how to name products, their successors, etc. for that very reason. Many companies completely change their branding over time to deal with various levels of consumer confusion (and other issues.)

So claiming "well I once saw someone call a Galaxy an iPhone" doesn't address whether or not relative to other consoles Nintendo's new offering is confusing consumers.

Companies spend lots of time doing lots of things that end up being a huge waste. There was some amount of confusion when the Super Nintendo came out. There was confusion with all the Genesis iterations and add-ons. People have always purchased games for the wrong console regardless of how different the names were or how well established the brands were. The 3DS wasn't the first time people didn't know if it was a new console or just a new version of the old one and it won't be the last. The only difference between now and 20 years ago is wide spread access to the internet. It's not happening more, you're just hearing about it more.

NeoRausch

No thanks, hate the iPad version, just doesn't work with touch. Simple mouse and keyboard or dual analogue like 360. Multiplayer with separate screens would be cool but I'd really want it to be compatible with PC servers

well, dual stick for the game world, touch screen for menus to combine stuff by dragging.

tadaa!

Never going to happen. It sold the worst of all 3D marios... Mario is more likely forever doomed to wander the universe than ever settle down again in a happy beach environment.

I'm probably alone here, but I'd prefer them to not go back to a beach setting. I'd like to see them go to the mountains and have a different FLUDD gimmick. Super Mario Summit?

schuelma

Gah just had 2 hard locks on the NintendoLand controller setup screen.

Starting to get annoyed/worried.

So wtf is up with not being able to use the Wii U properly with a 4:3 TV? I hooked it up today to a different TV and realized there is no way to avoid screen cut off at the edges.

Companies spend lots of time doing lots of things that end up being a huge waste. There was some amount of confusion when the Super Nintendo came out. There was confusion with all the Genesis iterations and add-ons. People have always purchased games for the wrong console regardless of how different the names were or how well established the brands were. The 3DS wasn't the first time people didn't know if it was a new console or just a new version of the old one and it won't be the last. The only difference between now and 20 years ago is wide spread access to the internet. It's not happening more, you're just hearing about it more.

Right, every single product suffers from the exact same amount of everything. All companies try stuff, and stuff is a waste, and everything is the same.

Must be why Nintendo has repeatedly addressed the potential for confusion, something unique to the Wii-U and it's branding, that no console manufacturer has ever really faced outside of generic "well completely uninformed people don't even know the difference between Xbox and Playstation."

But anyways... perhaps not responding to false equivlenacy arguments would be better.. but it'd be nice if NeoGAF was remotely as honest and forthright as Nintendo is. They are refreshingly straightforward about their products. Their responses are usually extremely rational to questions, not "Nope, it doesn't exist."

Ein Bear

Playing through Skyward Sword at the minute whilst I wait for the UK launch on Friday.

This game is so beautiful and it's running on a Wii. Nintendo's Wii U title's are going to look insane.

I'm currently unable to use the Wii e-store channel.

The "Network Setup" on the Wii-U is missing some code or something. Twice just using my Wii-U normally I had to re-set up my wireless.. there is no list of previous connections, but then it says "Set up as Connection 2, and set as default?"

Today when I tried using Estore, I get the "Error Code: 204695 Spend 3 minutes navigating to the Wii-U settings menu and re-enter the same info you did before" message.

GO back.. re-set up network connection.. this time it's "Connection 3."

Doesn't work.. try it again.. "Connection 4."

I can get my internet browser and basic Wii-U functions working, but re-booting into Wii mode kills it.

Playing through Skyward Sword at the minute whilst I wait for the UK launch on Friday.

This game is so beautiful and it's running on a Wii. Nintendo's Wii U title's are going to look insane.

playing the same on my Wii U for the first time. But after using Wii Mode and going back to the Wii U side I cannot wait to see some Nintendo HD Adventure RPGs on this thing in full HD with the art styles they come up with.

Just started getting a bunch of hard locks. Three in a row. In each case, it's trying to play Luigi's Mansion in Nintendo Land. I haven't yet tested out other possibilities. I'll try NSMBU now to see whether we get locks with that.

We've not had any locks before tonight. The only change is that we downloaded some update to NSMBU. Don't know what that would matter.

schuelma

Just started getting a bunch of hard locks. Three in a row. In each case, it's trying to play Luigi's Mansion in Nintendo Land. I haven't yet tested out other possibilities. I'll try NSMBU now to see whether we get locks with that.

We've not had any locks before tonight. The only change is that we downloaded some update to NSMBU. Don't know what that would matter.

FWIW- The official NintendoLand thread is reporting a lot of similar locks. It happened to me twice in a row when trying to play Pikmin multiplayer.

Balya

Are most/all of the hard locks coming through Nintendo Land? I haven't had any yet but only played it for a couple hours when I first hooked up the system, been mostly playing ZombiU and Little Inferno since.

If it's mostly Nintendo Land I can certainly wait for a patch on that one.

Blasty

Are most/all of the hard locks coming through Nintendo Land? I haven't had any yet but only played it for a couple hours when I first hooked up the system, been mostly playing ZombiU and Little Inferno since.

If it's mostly Nintendo Land I can certainly wait for a patch on that one.

I got a hardlock while using the browser.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom