• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Release Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
just got mine from Newegg.. When it wants me to sync the remote and it's telling me to enter the 4 symbols, it keeps saying it can't connect my remote to the console after I enter them correctly... has this happened to anyone else?

Happened to me. I believe I just shut it off and tried it again and it worked.

NeoRausch

I've tried that 3 times now, god fucking dammit. If this is a pain for a hardcore like me just imagine how much of a pain it'll be to casuals.

Such a frustrating console already.

maybe you're to hardcore for this casual stuff?

but seriously: you're sure you're not fucking up two symbols there? first time i've heard of this problem.
....on the other hand... you're not an idiot.
i'm out of cards here.

Anyone have an issue where the gamepad power button doesn't also turn on the console? I have to power on the console with it's own power button. Gamepad works fine otherwise, and has pretty decent range in my home.

Fake edit: Just found out what caused this. For some reason this happens with auto shutdown disabled. So I'll leave this for anyone else, just in case.

Rich!

Hmmm.

Working 1pm-11pm tomorrow, then 7am-2pm on Thursday.

My plan is to only sleep for a few hours for tomorrow night, get home at 3 on Thursday, sleep until 9, go to GAME for ten, pick up the Wii U at midnight...and then play ZombiU all night with a Chicago town fresh dough stuffed crust pizza.

Sounds good man

mizuk_i

Anyone have an issue where the gamepad power button doesn't also turn on the console? I have to power on the console with it's own power button. Gamepad works fine otherwise, and has pretty decent range in my home.

Fake edit: Just found out what caused this. For some reason this happens with auto shutdown disabled. So I'll leave this for anyone else, just in case.

I have auto shut down disabled aswell and can still turn on the console with gamepad.

I've tried that 3 times now, god fucking dammit. If this is a pain for a hardcore like me just imagine how much of a pain it'll be to casuals.

Such a frustrating console already.

Listen very carefully and try again:

The TV screen will tell you to enter the symbols you see on screen from left to right on the GamePad.

The symbols on the GamePad DO NOT match the symbols on the TV in order from left to right. So if you are just pressing all the buttons on the GamePad from left to right, it won't work and you'll see the "no connection" error. Make sure you are entering the same symbols show on the TV screen in order from left to right on GamePad.

Example: TV screen shows a Spade first on the left, the Spade on the GamePad however won't be the first to press on the left.

I hope this helps!

Listen very carefully and try again:

The TV screen will tell you to enter the symbols you see on screen from left to right on the GamePad.

The symbols on the GamePad DO NOT match the symbols on the TV in order from left to right. So if you are just pressing all the buttons on the GamePad from left to right, it won't work and you'll see the "no connection" error. Make sure you are entering the same symbols show on the TV screen in order from left to right on GamePad.

Example: TV screen shows a Spade first on the left, the Spade on the GamePad however won't be the first to press on the left.

I hope this helps!

I've been entering the proper code and I've been doing it a whole bunch of times, unplugging everything and plugging it all back in and all that stuff.

AppleBlade

Don't get me wrong, I watch most things by streaming through netflix or hulu anymore, but I like using my PS3 for blu rays or DVDs, and it would be nice for Wii U owners to have that same option.
Personally, if I could have purchased a Wii U without a disc drive for $50 dollars less and have it be more compact in the process I would have done it. I'm done with physical media if given the choice. Too badd there are still some games not available digitally (friggin' EA and Activision).

RkOwnage

So, I have a friend who makes my banners for my reviews. I told him I was working on the WiiU and was gonna do three reviews at the same time (Almost done w/ the first one, still got a ways to go with ZombiU) but here is the banner he made for WiiU

http://i.imgur.com/MEl81.jpg

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
but I read there are a lot of WiiUs in American stores

Are you kidding? We can't give these things away.

I got a mocha latte at McDonalds today and saw them trying to foist Deluxe systems off on kids with the happy meals. Kids didn't want 'em. They insisted on the toy instead, some dumb looking cartoon weasel I've never seen before.

Are you kidding? We can't give these things away.

I got a mocha latte at McDonalds today and saw them trying to foist Deluxe systems off on kids with the happy meals. Kids didn't want 'em. They insisted on the toy instead, some dumb looking cartoon weasel I've never seen before.

Damn. Well, as it is, I'm still waiting for Nintendo to justify my 3DS purchase. If my Wii U purchase isn't justified soon (NSMBU's aight), I'm going to have to stop buying Nintendo consoles.

goldenpp72

So I just got this hooked up, setup the tv remote thing and am doing the system update, but I had a few questions.

How is the battery life on the pad? Is the screen pretty good about not scratching? If I want to sell my Wii, is the transfer process painless, and can I transfer everything I own? I own Mario world, DKC2, LTTP, mario 64, and lost winds I think.

Other than that I think i'm good to go for now, I really like the music and such of the OS, and the controller feels good. Nice to see a Nintendo system on my 52 inch tv finally :)

Kunan

Fired up AC3 for some multi tonight and it was impossible to get a game going. Not because there were no people, but because it would keep restarting its search for a game session every couple minutes, ejecting us from the lobby. PC players on the support forum seem to be claiming that they're being hit by the same issue... so likely a server side problem. Still sucks. Someone tried to add me as a friend to play together, and I was excited, but yea we couldn't connect whatsoever.

So I just got this hooked up, setup the tv remote thing and am doing the system update, but I had a few questions.

How is the battery life on the pad? Is the screen pretty good about not scratching? If I want to sell my Wii, is the transfer process painless, and can I transfer everything I own? I own Mario world, DKC2, LTTP, mario 64, and lost winds I think.

Other than that I think i'm good to go for now, I really like the music and such of the OS, and the controller feels good. Nice to see a Nintendo system on my 52 inch tv finally :)

I get 3 to 3.5 hours if I'm not streaming a game to the pad. 2.5 if I am. The screen is the same exact one on the DS/3DS lower screen. I never used a screen protector on those and I dont see a need to do so here.

Personally, if I could have purchased a Wii U without a disc drive for $50 dollars less and have it be more compact in the process I would have done it. I'm done with physical media if given the choice. Too badd there are still some games not available digitally (friggin' EA and Activision).

I get that, and I'd love to be able to afford that option. But I'm one of many people who depend on used games or eventual price drops to try out most games, and download only software prevents that. I'm less likely to try out substellar games or games from new developers without a lot of information about them if I can't get them on the cheap or know that I can return them within seven days if I don't like that.

As somebody who doesn't make a ton of money but enjoys this as a hobby, and as somebody who tries to be an intelligent consumer without sacrificing novelty, doing away with physical media is a major problem for me.

With that said, if I had the money to throw down $60 every time I wanted to play a new game, I'd do it in a heartbeat just to avoid the clutter.

Wow that thread got drowned out fast... instead of bumping it, I'll just take it as a sign that the gods of the forum care not... but maybe people in the actual Wii U threads might.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=501693

In summation: If you're having problems playing Online with AssCreed 3 (IE, it showing there are games, but not being able to connect to any) it may be a port forwarding problem, but since I'm not sure what port, just dumping the Wii U into your router's DMZ is probably the best/safest bet. Not sure if it effects any game besides AssCreed 3... but it might.

(edit) The port for x-box360 is 3074, not sure if it's the same for Wii U, my gamepad is dead so I can't test it right now. DMZ for sure works though if your router has the option.

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the Wii U have a system like achievements/trophies?

Nope. Individual games can have "accomplishments" (NintendoLand uses stamps and a profile which anyone can view from within the game when they see your Mii) but there is no overarching system for them.

braves01

Banned
I've been entering the proper code and I've been doing it a whole bunch of times, unplugging everything and plugging it all back in and all that stuff.

Nintendo needs to make set-up a hell of a lot easier by Christmas morning that's for damn sure, and the OS and Miiverse need to run much more smoothly.

Stupid question... I just want to play Xenoblade on my Wii U right now, without doing the whole transfer thing. Is there a way to only get my save files quickly into Wii U with the SD Card?

Sorry if old...

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Never mind, just had to copy the file from Wii to Sd and from it back into the Wii U.

Kunan

Wow that thread got drowned out fast... instead of bumping it, I'll just take it as a sign that the gods of the forum care not... but maybe people in the actual Wii U threads might.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=501693

In summation: If you're having problems playing Online with AssCreed 3 (IE, it showing there are games, but not being able to connect to any) it may be a port forwarding problem, but since I'm not sure what port, just dumping the Wii U into your router's DMZ is probably the best/safest bet. Not sure if it effects any game besides AssCreed 3... but it might.
Wonderful! I will see if this works for me tomorrow. Hopefully this isn't wrecking the potential community out the gate.

Setre

Quick question. While d/ling a game if I leave the gamepad uncharged and it dies will the game continue to d/l? Also is there a way to cut the gamepad off without cutting the system off?

Quick question. While d/ling a game if I leave the gamepad uncharged and it dies will the game continue to d/l? Also is there a way to cut the gamepad off without cutting the system off?

It will continue to download. To turn off the gamepad hit the home button, controller options, game pad, turn off screen.

Unforuntately you can't use it as a regular controller with the screen off as it'll automatically turn the screen back on when you press a button (a major oversight IMO)

braves01

Banned
What's hard about putting a couple icons on a screen?

I was thinking more about ma and pa trying to figure out why the Wii U isn't connecting to their router on Christmas morning and having to figure out how to do a manual router setup, followed by an hour plus firmware update, followed by numerous software updates, followed by a slow OS and hard lock-ups.

Nintendo needs to make set-up a hell of a lot easier by Christmas morning that's for damn sure, and the OS and Miiverse need to run much more smoothly.

Other than slightly slow load times when loading the programs, the OS and Miiverse run smooth as hell. It's not like Xbox dashboard of PSN XMB where I click on something and it takes 1 minute to load an achievement list for one game for no damn reason.

And other than the ridiculously long patch download, the setup for the Wii U is simple and short as fuck.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Other than slightly slow load times when loading the programs, the OS and Miiverse run smooth as hell. It's not like Xbox dashboard of PSN XMB where I click on something and it takes 1 minute to load an achievement list for one game for no damn reason.

And other than the ridiculously long patch download, the setup for the Wii U is simple and short as fuck.

I have to admit, a lot of the disgust at the "slow" Wii U OS make me wonder if anyone has actually tried using the Xbox dashboard ever since it went Metro'd or everyone just has their xbox set to autoboot when a disc is put in.

Honestly, I haven't been bothered by using the OS so far. I'd appreciate nips and tucks - faster is always better, why wouldn't it be? - but it's only during transitions between major applications where it's a bit slow.

Don't know if you guys saw this but I cried the whole time lol
nice to see it apparently uses some quality plastic

Wii U Gamepad Drop Test

Sorry if it has been already posted. I just saw it and couldn't believe it.

Ha ha.. you know, despite constant talk about Nintendo's "cheapness" the build quality of their stuff has always been fantastic. A strangely recurring issue with 3DS upper screen imprints notwithstanding.

The U pad feels super sturdy to me, very well built.

FroJay

Banned
Sold the Basic I bought from Gamestop.com on Amazon for $362, but ended up losing $3 after all the fees and shipping via UPS. For anyone looking to sell on Amazon you're looking at $30+ dollars in fees not including the shipping cost. I was shocked people are still paying over cost for Basics online. Saved me the hassle of having to ship it back to Gamestop though.

Still loving my Deluxe and NSMBU.

I have to admit, a lot of the disgust at the "slow" Wii U OS make me wonder if anyone has actually tried using the Xbox dashboard ever since it went Metro'd or everyone just has their xbox set to autoboot when a disc is put in.

The Xbox dash being a lumbering monstrosity doesn't make it okay for the Wii U OS to be so sluggish. Since memory is in abundance, it must be an optimization issue, which, while easily fixable, somehow makes me even more annoyed that Nintendo didn't iron it out before launch. Clearly, it's not a dealbreaker, but it makes the whole system seem totally half-assed. It needs to be priority one.

zroid

Banned
Since apparently Europe is getting their day 1 updates pre-installed, I'd imagine future North American shipments will have the same.

Saved me the hassle of having to ship it back to Gamestop though.

Could you not have returned it to a GameStop store directly? Maybe it's different in the States, but EBGames in Canada accepts online returns in-stores.

rpmurphy

Wii U Gamepad Drop Test

That's good, although I wonder if some of the stick or button functionality will get funky after hitting on an unusual drop angle.

Also, glass screens are one of the most awful trends in portable devices. Of course, companies don't care when they can charge exorbitant amounts of money to repair shattered screens. I'm glad that Nintendo didn't go this route yet.

I was thinking more about ma and pa trying to figure out why the Wii U isn't connecting to their router on Christmas morning and having to figure out how to do a manual router setup, followed by an hour plus firmware update, followed by numerous software updates, followed by a slow OS and hard lock-ups.

Hey Ma and Pa
What the hell is wrong with y'all's WiiU?

Anyways, Ma and Pa don't need to go online on Christmas morning.

So now that I brought my Wii U home the remote synced up just fine. I'm guessing there was too much interference at my workplace which stopped the remote from syncing. This was my first time seeing the load time between different menus though and holy mother of fuck are they bad. That wasn't overblown in the least bit and its a bit embarrassing that it is taking this long to download a one gigabyte update. And apparently all it takes for the WiFi connection to stop working is for you to lightly touch the console as I did to move it when the update was like 75% done. I was scared shitless that it wouldn't resume downloading the update from where it left off, luckily that's one thing they did right.

Wii U Gamepad Drop Test

At first glance the GP looked pretty cheap to me. I was pleasantly surprised with the build quality and how comfortable it is. After ten days of owning it, I don't have any complaints about the controller aside from the digital triggers. I'm hoping the screen is fairly resistant to scratches since I'm not a fan of screen protectors.

So now that I brought my Wii U home the remote synced up just fine. I'm guessing there was too much interference at my workplace which stopped the remote from syncing. This was my first time seeing the load time between different menus though and holy mother of fuck are they bad. That wasn't overblown in the least bit and its a bit embarrassing that it is taking this long to download a one gigabyte update. And apparently all it takes for the WiFi connection to stop working is for you to lightly touch the console as I did to move it when the update was like 75% done. I was scared shitless that it wouldn't resume downloading the update from where it left off, luckily that's one thing they did right.
I really believe miiverse should just include friendlist. Too much loading for 2 different but same things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom