• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Release Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickcv

I can't really imagine what the root of the problem is. I had literally no issues at all from beginning to end, save for the download time. In fact, I was actually impressed with how smooth the setup was and thought someone who wasn't savvy could do this no problem. Then it's like the polar opposite from others. It won't even connect to their Wi-Fi, constant hard locks, gamepad disconnects...

What the hell is going on inside this system? Maybe it's a hardware thing, I have no clue. I just hope it's something an update can actually fix for those having the issues :-(

i honestly think that the issue is because the wii u probably has some troubles with some routers... the irony is that mine is made by cisco.

anyhow the update actually solves the wi-fi issues, the problem is that to install the update you have to connect to the internet your wii u <.<

nickcv

If I've spent £8 just to update the fucking thing and then it has no problem with my wifi I'm going to be even MORE pissed.

That wifi better stay broken.

i used my latop has a bridge creating a new hotspot for the wii u to connect to.

after the update it connected to my router wi-fi at the first try, without having to set static IP, DNS or anything else.

Steph_E.

Weirdly, the updates are really slow, but stuff from the eshop is a fair bit quicker. I was probably getting 1MBp/s on there. Still not amazing, but more acceptable.

Maybe for you.. I downloaded the FIFA demo from the eshop yesterday - it took 5 hours for 1.2 gig (or slightly longer than it took the original update to download).

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Devices in my home, owned by by housemates and I, that have had no issue connecting to our WiFi, requiring little more than a password:
- Wii
- PlayStation 3
- 3DS
- MacBook
- Two iPhones
- iPad
- Android

Devices in my home that had trouble connecting to WiFi:
- Wii U

No doubt in my mind there's some dumb shit going on in the OS when it comes to WiFi connectivity.

jonno394

Devices in my home, owned by by housemates and I, that have had no issue connecting to our WiFi, requiring little more than a password:
- Wii
- PlayStation 3
- 3DS
- MacBook
- Two iPhones
- iPad
- Android

- Wii U

No doubt in my mind there's some dumb shit going on in the OS when it comes to WiFi connectivity.

Devices in my home that connected to my wi-fi without issue:

- Wii
- PS3
- 3DS
- Samsung Glaxy S
- Netbook
- Wii U

:p

I think there are enugh people experiencing problems to say that there is some compatability issue.

How old is your router btw? Mine is about a year and a half old, I was concerned i'd experience issues due to that but fortunately I didn't.

Will this card work on Wii U?

img2559dt.jpg

- Wii
- PlayStation 3
- 3DS
- MacBook
- Two iPhones
- iPad
- Android

- Wii U

no doubt at all that these things were not ready for prime time.
are you still having trouble connecting?

i used my latop has a bridge creating a new hotspot for the wii u to connect to.

after the update it connected to my router wi-fi at the first try, without having to set static IP, DNS or anything else.

I tried every possible solution people suggested. Nothing worked.

- Wii
- PlayStation 3
- 3DS
- MacBook
- Two iPhones
- iPad
- Android

- Wii U

Agreed. Something is fundamentally broken with their detection/OS.

If wifi starts working after this update I'm going to ask they cover the cost of the Ethernet adapter. They won't, but I'm still going to make a fuss.

Gino

Played Nintendo land with five players last night. One player was my best friend who has already played a few times with me. For the rest it was thier first time playing.

We had a ridiculously awesome fun session of luigi's mansion. We passed the game pad around letting each player try thier hand as the ghost. Every time the ghost won everyone felt like they had to keep playin g until we beat him.

Next we did Mario chase. It was equally a hit. People get real load while playing both of these. Everyone kept saying how fun and cool it was as well.

Next we tried pikmin challenge. Great time was had here as well.

That was the end of the night but I'm glad I can do this with the same folks again and still have a whole bunch of games they didn't try yet.

We also took some time to browse the miiverse which everyone was impressed, and rally liked some of the drawings.

3 of the 4 people where talking about how they gotta get a wii u in the future And everyone walked away with huge smiles.

It is obviously a big challenge for Nintendo to market this thing but when more folks get to try it im confident word of mouth will spead. I give it about 0% chance of repeating the kind of success that wii had but I think it will indeed be a success with time.

I hope so at least.

Duallusion

haha, good. Care to share some experiences? Are you a good artist, or do you just like participating in your favorite games?

Nah, it's just these short exchanges you can have with strangers and semi-strangers. Quick and easy; no time or place for a real debate. Whatever pops into your mind in any given game. Coupled with ability to draw something and yeahing (yes, I just made that word up) and it's all just so nicely... communal. Evolution of 3DS' letter box (which I didn't use much).

dk_

No Miiverse or screenshot integration in USK 18 games f.i. ZombiU (Germany).

Fail!

Source: Nintendo hotline

Javier

I will be getting my WiiU next week, here are my plans:

- Deluxe Set
- NSMBU
- Just Dance 4
- Trine 2: DC

Currently debating:
- Sonic & Sega All Stars Racing Transformed
- ZombiU
- Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge

Impressions on the last three titles?

Grampasso

- Deluxe Set
- NSMBU
- Just Dance 4

Currently debating:
- ZombiU

I wouldn't rule out Nano Assault NEO if I were you =)

Britprog

Haha, that totally makes sense. I went on Monday to Tesco to pick up Mario since they had it cheapest on Monday and they had all the displays to the side of a travelator where no-one would initially look. Then after asking where the WiiU stuff was, the Tesco guy led me to the video game section where they literally had no WiiU product presence next to all the other systems. Then the Tesco guy said they didn't have anything in. It's been out since last Friday!

Tesco is really odd, I pre-ordered my one in September from Tesco and mine turned up at launch.

Its just layying there unplayed, as I got another one at the Midnight launch cause I wanted two free games.

Britprog

- Deluxe Set
- NSMBU
- Just Dance 4

Currently debating:
- ZombiU

Get Zombi U, its great. I was really disappointed with the review scores. But I got it for a good price off a mate whom got the Zombi U pack and didn't want the game.

The game is really good and make use of the gamepad well, its hard as well but very enjoyable. My game of the launch, I have Nintendo Land, Mario U, BLOP2 and of course Zombi U.

Fox Mulder

- Wii
- PlayStation 3
- 3DS
- MacBook
- Two iPhones
- iPad
- Android

- Wii U

Oh, it obviously is the WiiU itself. Nothing else in my home has given me problems and I'm not going to mess up my wifi just so this one device is happy. It magically works for now, but I thought it was done until I went into wii mode for the first time.

Effect

Does anyone have Directv and has gotten the remote controls working? If I just setup my TV I can move between my TV inputs when the menu shows up. I have a Dynex. If I setup my Directv box and TV I can't switch between the inputs at all. Everything else works though. Trying to move between then just causes me to keep interacting with the Directv box (causing the favorites window to appear, etc).

Hoo-doo

Banned
- Wii
- PlayStation 3
- 3DS
- MacBook
- Two iPhones
- iPad
- Android

- Wii U

Now where's Stewox to tell you that you have a fundamental lack of understanding how Wi-Fi works, or proceeds to call you dumb for being a mac user.

The Wifi on the Wii-U is totally fine, sheesh!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Now where's Stewox to tell you that you have a fundamental lack of understanding how Wi-Fi works, or proceeds to call you dumb for being a mac user.

The Wifi on the Wii-U is totally fine, sheesh!

In my favour, I personally own zero WiFi capable Apple products ;).

We had a ridiculously awesome fun session of luigi's mansion. We passed the game pad around letting each player try thier hand as the ghost. Every time the ghost won everyone felt like they had to keep playin g until we beat him.
This describes my time with Luigi's Ghost Mansion perfectly, even the bit about keeping one person as the Ghost until we beat him/her.

The Wi-Fi situation is rather odd. I was able to connect perfectly the first time. However, after a few days, I deleted my connection settings in order to avoid system freezes. Since then, the system claims that it cannot connect, yet it actually does. It's strange.

5month is a long time... The games you listed are 10 hour games (ass creed3 maybe 15 to 20 hours). Blops has multiple endings so that might add another 10hours and also multiplayer if you are into it
Well I have a job and college taking up a lot of my time. Not to mention a 3ds. Guess I should have been more specific. I guess my real question is if they're were any other games besides these three that would would be a better replacement time wise. I also tend to replay games so I thought maybe ZombiU could also be one of those games that I play over and over.

ZombiU, NSMBU and Pikmin 3 when it's released
I'm NSMB-ed out lol. I recently got NSMB2 on the 3ds so I think it's on the get waaay into the life cycle for me. And I never liked Pikmin to be honest, could never get into the mechanics. Thanks for the suggestions anyways.

farnham

Banned
Played Nintendo land with five players last night. One player was my best friend who has already played a few times with me. For the rest it was thier first time playing.

Next we did Mario chase. It was equally a hit. People get real load while playing both of these. Everyone kept saying how fun and cool it was as well.

Next we tried pikmin challenge. Great time was had here as well.

That was the end of the night but I'm glad I can do this with the same folks again and still have a whole bunch of games they didn't try yet.

We also took some time to browse the miiverse which everyone was impressed, and rally liked some of the drawings.

3 of the 4 people where talking about how they gotta get a wii u in the future And everyone walked away with huge smiles.

It is obviously a big challenge for Nintendo to market this thing but when more folks get to try it im confident word of mouth will spead. I give it about 0% chance of repeating the kind of success that wii had but I think it will indeed be a success with time.

I hope so at least.
similar experience with my friends/ wife..i think that nintendo might repeat its success with wiiu. they definately have a great product that needs better marketing.

Bumhead

Banned
almost no loading times, incredibile

Really..?

The FIFA 13 demo did very little for me. I thought I'd be OK with the "FIFA 12.5" gameplay but it felt like an enormous step down from 13 to me. I noticed some really sloppy stuff going on and it felt like a poor shadow of the PS3 game.

A shame though, as if FIFA 14 has feature and engine parity with the PS360 versions that's the one I'll be getting due to the touch screen stuff.

Really..?

The FIFA 13 demo did very little for me. I thought I'd be OK with the "FIFA 12.5" gameplay but it felt like an enormous step down from 13 to me. I noticed some really sloppy stuff going on and it felt like a poor shadow of the PS3 game.

A shame though, as if FIFA 14 has feature and engine parity with the PS360 versions that's the one I'll be getting due to the touch screen stuff.

You make it sound like 13 is a revolution over 12. I own both on PS3 and found 13 to have the least annual improvement this gen.

I have an Aussie launch premium Wii U and I can't figure out how to work the Youtube app.

Feel free to laugh at me but I would appreciate some tips.

When I load it up I get some Rihanna video as default, I can bring up a keyboard to search for vids but there is no option for me to actually play them.

I've pressed every button on the gamepad and tapped all over the touchscreen.

What am I doing wrong lol?

They don't play on the gamepad. They play on the TV. Makes that app pointless really.

EDIT - Also, the manual for it in in German by the looks of it too!

Bumhead

Banned
You make it sound like 13 is a revolution over 12. I own both on PS3 and found 13 to have the least annual improvement this gen.

Really? I thought 11 to 12 was probably the least rewarding "upgrade" for me. 13 had enough subtle alterations and evolved ideas from previous years for any step down to feel noticeable, in my opinion. Which is why FIFA 13 on Wii U feels lacking to me.

shibbs

I live in europe (the netherlands), is there any way to filter out the french/german/italian/other-non-english posts from miiverse?

nickcv

I live in europe (the netherlands), is there any way to filter out the french/german/italian/other-non-english posts from miiverse?

yes, go into your miiverse account settings.

unfortunately you can set the filter just to:
- your language
- every language

i'd love to be able to select several languages.
i do want to see both italian and english, and i don't have an option for that

Hypatia

Yep, Wii U is the only thing in my house that has had issues connecting to my router wirelessly out of 11 devices.

In the end I had to turn my PC into a hotspot to get it working and even after updating it it still wont connect automatically to my router. Has to be done manually.

Steph_E.

Tried out the video chat last night. We managed to connect (even though it took a couple of minutes to establish a connection) but then we got disconnected after about five minutes. We tried a few more times but most of the time we couldn't get a connection, so not a massive thumbs up.

sakipon

yes, go into your miiverse account settings.

unfortunately you can set the filter just to:
- your language
- every language

i'd love to be able to select several languages.
i do want to see both italian and english, and i don't have an option for that

I think the language option is badly done since it takes the information from system settings. I'd still like to see posts from example French people who write in English. I don't want to block them all but I could hide the ones I can't read.

Another problem is that there are only so few system languages. So people from Poland, Scandinavia, etc have no way to see & find posts in their language. And they won't get filtered out for the ones choosing 'English'.

What titles did they add?

I didn't really look but I saw Avengers and there's communities for Rapala Pro Bass Fishing, Family Party, and Rise of the Guardians.

Being a fisherman myself (no, really! you can be a nerd and love the outdoors simultaneously!) I may look into Rapala.

edit: Rapala isn't on there yet. but Ben 10 is!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom