• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Release Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

farnham

Banned
Have a question. I am planning to get a Wii U deluxe soon if I can find one. If I can only get 3 games (not including Nintendoland that's bundled with the deluxe.) to last me for say oh 5 months what would be your guys recommendations? I was thinking BLOPS 2, ZombiU, and Ass Creed 3. I live in the USA if that matters.

5month is a long time... The games you listed are 10 hour games (ass creed3 maybe 15 to 20 hours). Blops has multiple endings so that might add another 10hours and also multiplayer if you are into it

jonno394

Slightly OT but New Darksiders 2 DLC has been announced for all platforms excluding the Wii U. Is DLC compatibility supposed to be coming in Dec update??

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
I'm a bit asocial, I mostly lurk on all sites I visit and I never used twitter.

But I checked Miiverse before going to work today.

Shit.

haha, good. Care to share some experiences? Are you a good artist, or do you just like participating in your favorite games?

Slightly OT but New Darksiders 2 DLC has been announced for all platforms excluding the Wii U. Is DLC compatibility supposed to be coming in Dec update??

Reggie said in a recent interview that Nintendo hasn't blocked any Third Party from using DLC on the Wii U. So why haven't we seen it yet? Maybe he was stretching a bit and means to say in "December" ?

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Yesterday I was asking for a news app on Wii U. After second thought, it won't happen. The miiverse moderation would be unmanageable,

Instead I added a Google News bookmark in the browser, as well as my twitter account.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
Yesterday I was asking for a news app on Wii U. After second thought, it won't happen. The miiverse moderation would be unmanageable,

Instead I added a Google News bookmark in the browser, as well as my twitter account.

I was actually wondering about this. The Wii had some great weather and news apps that I'd like to see moved over if possible. I really liked messing with the globes for both. It would be even more fun/informative on the UPad.

decimal channels? wtf?

If you get over-the-air channels in the US after the switch to digital, you will see decimal channels. Example: In NYC, 4.1 is NBC 4, 4.2 is an NBC channel called LiveWell, and there's also a 4.4 which I forgot what it was.

It's probably the greatest thing about switching to digital. lol

flattie

Took delivery of my Premium model yesterday, after finally settling on buying into Nintendo for another generation.

Random Hardware Impressions

1. Controller looked larger and felt heavier than I anticipated. With all the talk of its lightness around here, I was kind of expecting to feel more air resistance than weight force, but it definitely has a substantial feel to it. That being said, it is not so heavy that it became uncomfortable at any point.

2. Love the analogue sticks. Nice height. Feel tight. Soft, grippy rubber on the surface, which I find far superior to the DS3 equivalent material.

3. Top shoulder buttons feel awkwardly placed for my hands. Might just be familiarisation, but it I feel more comfortable using the ZR/ZL buttons. The face buttons feel good too (was expecting them to be more squashy).

4. My Wii component cable was able to be used to output 1080p to my Sony TV, which I was suprised about. Maybe not a big deal, but I think it was DF that mentioned you get the full RGB signal with the component, unlike the HDMI. I couldn't really tell the difference between the two cable types, although I wasn't really looking too hard.

5. OS speed is poor. I can access system settings instantly on my PS3, why the wait on the Wii U? I hope they get round to fixing this. It isn't the biggest deal in the world, but it just feels like it shouldn't be the case. One thing I was hoping for with the Wii U was a snappy, hassle free OS - still work to be done here.

6. Hassle free wifi connection. Update took an hour. Loved the Wii system transfer progress screen too.

7. Console is very quiet. Didn't get very hot after a few hours of use including gaming. The disc drive can be heard but I find it quieter than my PS3 super slim.

8. The controller range is fine. Can play in our bedroom, which is directly above the console. This equates to about 3-3.5m range through a floor. Won't quite make the upstairs toilet, however!

9. Unlike others, I didn't notice any improvement in sharpness while playing in Wii mode. It looked identical to as if I had the Wii plugged. No big deal for me however. I gave Metroid Prime (Trilogy) a run out and it still looks amazing, even after all these years.

So far the positives heavily outweigh the negatives, and the negatives are things that should hopefully be addressed as the system matures. No 'buyer's remorse' at this point, so as it stands, I'm happy with my purchase.

shibbs

Did anyone find a solution for selecting the tv source? The sticks and d-pad change the channels on my tv decoder device. I'm able to open the source menu but not to make an actual selection. I do not have a enter button of some sort.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm hoping Friends List and Miiverse get merged one day.

Isn't it odd that you have a different set of 'docked' icons on the home menu and when you press the home key to pop up over the home menu? Should just be the same.

In theory friends list has value on its own, as miiverse is primarily a community discussion area. But I think it gets confusing because miiverse is the best place to add friends because it actually does a request (friend list works like friends codes)

I'd be happy to keep the separate friends list, but make it add friends like miiverse does, and add it to the home menu dock

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Have a question. I am planning to get a Wii U deluxe soon if I can find one. If I can only get 3 games (not including Nintendoland that's bundled with the deluxe.) to last me for say oh 5 months what would be your guys recommendations? I was thinking BLOPS 2, ZombiU, and Ass Creed 3. I live in the USA if that matters.

ZombiU, NSMBU and Pikmin 3 when it's released

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I talked to a guy on BLOPS2 the other day who said he was pissed when he got it home because he thought it was a portable handheld.

HA HA HA. This is why you research things before you buy, especially expensive things. What was going through his mind when he saw the size of the box?

Hobby

lol, Nintendo put up an infographic about the initial system update for the Japanese launch. Basically explains that you can download the initial update in the background if you hit cancel and to not pull the power cord during it.

QDjra.gif

fnNQD.gif

http://joshinweb.jp/game/info121204.html

pswii60

I've not had a single lock yet - OK, only had it since 30 November, but still....

Nor me.

My biggest issue is the GamePad seems to lose sync with my Wii U after it's been turned off for a while - ie I turn on the GamePad but it doesn't turn on the console!! PITA. Not sure why it's doing it, tried re-syncing and everything. Never, ever, had this issue with my 360 or PS3.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
1. Controller looked larger and felt heavier than I anticipated. With all the talk of its lightness around here, I was kind of expecting to feel more air resistance than weight force, but it definitely has a substantial feel to it. That being said, it is not so heavy that it became uncomfortable at any point.

Weight surprised me a bit too, as I was expecting lighter. About as heavy as I would have expected had it not been for all the "It's not as heavy as you expect!" comments.

But I will say the weight and build quality makes the controller feel really nice. I was worried that it would be another 3DS, which has cheap, squishy buttons and generally feels like a bit of a mess. The sticks, buttons, d-pad, and weight of the Wii U controller feel really secure and excellent to me. Very impressed.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
I wish there was some kind of signal bar on the GamePad screen.

Pisses me off when I'm on the cusp of the range limit but it seems fine 90% of the time, but will jerk during a crucial jump in NSMBU.

It needs to be more transparent about signal strength.

Data Ghost

Guys is there and way to clear the activity log? I have 'tested' the Wii U before wrapping it up for Christmas for my daughter, however the Mii says she has been playing NSMBU and there is info in the activity log.

Im actually reluctant to reset the console now as I dont want to waste time setting everything up again with her on Christmas Day. Ive inserted every game disk just to get the updates done out of the way so that we can just get on and play them when the time comes.

Gambit

Guys is there and way to clear the activity log? I have 'tested' the Wii U before wrapping it up for Christmas for my daughter, however the Mii says she has been playing NSMBU and there is info in the activity log.

Im actually reluctant to reset the console now as I dont want to waste time setting everything up again with her on Christmas Day. Ive inserted every game disk just to get the updates done out of the way so that we can just get on and play them when the time comes.

doesn't it say "deleting your Mii also deletes all your progress and records". Maybe that includes the activity log.

SegaManAU

Gold Member
I've never had to mess around with internet settings as much with any other console or device in years. Xbox, ps3, ipad, phones, etc. Everything picks my wifi up easily. I had to manually mess with settings just for the wiiu to even connect to the wifi out of the box, now I have to go into my router just to connect in wii mode.

And people say nintendo is for granny.

Yes, I had the same problem.

I had to turn my security off and do my Wii transfer. Then I turned the security back on. Stuff online mode for Wii. I'll only ever need to use the Wii U online.

But it's a very confusing set up. For some reason the Wii Mode doesn't like the TKIP-WPA2 security settings.

ajim

Just picked up myself a Wii U Prem pack with Sonic All Star Racing Transformed (no Super Mario U left :().

It's still boxed, sitting next to me. I'll probably set it up this weekend when I'm not so busy.

The packaging is sexy. Can't wait to dive in!!

Just picked up myself a Wii U Prem pack with Sonic All Star Racing Transformed (no Super Mario U left :().

It's still boxed, sitting next to me. I'll probably set it up this weekend when I'm not so busy.

The packaging is sexy. Can't wait to dive in!!
Update it now!!!

I have been robbed! I wanted to make a better less blurry avatar

why did they take it out?

pre-launch
tumblr_m52i2umzGi1qzpbds.jpg

actual miiverse
miino.jpg

now I cannot match my avatar unless I do some photoshop :(

deleted

I'll post it here too, since the other thread doesn't see much action:
If anybody from the UK wants to get rid of his Amazon Nintendoland code, I'd be interested. £20-25 seems fair.
I just want to get rid of the disc-switching hassle and the disc-noise.

PM me, if interested.

Mistle

So the loading screen for Miiverse froze and I had to pull the power in and out to reset the Wii U. I assume this is a hard lock everybody is complaining about?

First time I've got one since PAL launch. I added a HDD today. Hopefully it's not the culprit (I'm using a y-cable..)

So the loading screen for Miiverse froze and I had to pull the power in and out to reset the Wii U. I assume this is a hard lock everybody is complaining about?

First time I've got one since PAL launch. I added a HDD today. Hopefully it's not the culprit (I'm using a y-cable..)

Both of my crashes had something to do with my USB drive, so it's possible.

colui

I can't find a way to transfer Miis directly from the wiimote to the Wii U and viceversa.
Maybe even Nintendo forgot about that feature.

I have an Aussie launch premium Wii U and I can't figure out how to work the Youtube app.

Feel free to laugh at me but I would appreciate some tips.

When I load it up I get some Rihanna video as default, I can bring up a keyboard to search for vids but there is no option for me to actually play them.

I've pressed every button on the gamepad and tapped all over the touchscreen.

What am I doing wrong lol?

Javier

I have an Aussie launch premium Wii U and I can't figure out how to work the Youtube app.

Feel free to laugh at me but I would appreciate some tips.

When I load it up I get some Rihanna video as default, I can bring up a keyboard to search for vids but there is no option for me to actually play them.

I've pressed every button on the gamepad and tapped all over the touchscreen.

What am I doing wrong lol?
1.- Forget that Youtube App exists.

2.- Load Youtube on the Browser.

3.- Start having fun.

Tesco (the 3rd largest retailer in the world) really screwed up the UK Wii U Launch.

http://casuallyhardcore.com/how-tesco-ruined-the-uk-wii-u-launch/

wiit21.jpg

wiifb81.jpg

Haha, that totally makes sense. I went on Monday to Tesco to pick up Mario since they had it cheapest on Monday and they had all the displays to the side of a travelator where no-one would initially look. Then after asking where the WiiU stuff was, the Tesco guy led me to the video game section where they literally had no WiiU product presence next to all the other systems. Then the Tesco guy said they didn't have anything in. It's been out since last Friday!

I can't find a way to transfer Miis directly from the wiimote to the Wii U and viceversa.
Maybe even Nintendo forgot about that feature.

There's a setting in the Wii U Mii Editor that says copy from Wii Mode or Wii Menu or something....

I think you need to go into Wii mode, transfer your Miis from the remote to the console there, and then go back into Mii Editor in Wii U mode and import them.

It's much much easier to do from a 3DS.

There's a setting in the Wii U Mii Editor that says copy from Wii Mode or Wii Menu or something....

I think you need to go into Wii mode, transfer your Miis from the remote to the console there, and then go back into Mii Editor in Wii U mode and import them.

It's much much easier to do from a 3DS.
Yeah, it looks like they removed that functionality from the Wii mode...

Got my ethernet adapter today, plugged it in, update is downloading fine now.

Nintendo are getting a terribly angry email for me as a result of their awful connectivity issues with the wifi. I shouldn't have to buy an ethernet adapter in 2012.

4 days after launch, now I can finally see what the online side of the console is like.

Edit: God the speeds are terrible...

I can't really imagine what the root of the problem is. I had literally no issues at all from beginning to end, save for the download time. In fact, I was actually impressed with how smooth the setup was and thought someone who wasn't savvy could do this no problem. Then it's like the polar opposite from others. It won't even connect to their Wi-Fi, constant hard locks, gamepad disconnects...

What the hell is going on inside this system? Maybe it's a hardware thing, I have no clue. I just hope it's something an update can actually fix for those having the issues :-(

King_Moc

Banned
Got my ethernet adapter today, plugged it in, update is downloading fine now.

Nintendo are getting a terribly angry email for me as a result of their awful connectivity issues with the wifi. I shouldn't have to buy an ethernet adapter in 2012.

4 days after launch, now I can finally see what the online side of the console is like.

Edit: God the speeds are terrible...

Weirdly, the updates are really slow, but stuff from the eshop is a fair bit quicker. I was probably getting 1MBp/s on there. Still not amazing, but more acceptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom