• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Release Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haunted

I couldn't connect via video chat at all with a friend of mine living ~55km away. Not sure if my WiFi is too weak or what.

There really should be a mandatory demo for every game available. Would love to try out Sonic Racing since the PC version got delayed.

Bullza2o

I think it's kinda unfair that Nintendo needs lightning to strike twice to be not considered a failure

Nintendo's freak success with the Wii in its first couple of years, I don't think can be duplicated...by anyone lately unless yer Apple.

Nintendo is doing alright, but not great, but not bad either... but I suppose that just means a failure anyways to those that wanna view it that way.

I didn't say it's a failure, but if this keeps up it might force another unexpected price drop. I'm a 3DS ambassador and while I'm alright with paying $250 for it, most other people were not.

How do you get the administrator to unblock your profile comment? They sent a message stating it was blocked, I replied back saying I had no broken the code of conduct, they replied back saying after review that I had not broken the code, but they have yet to actually do anything about it.

jonno394

I just started thinking that if the Wii U doesn't explode, we might avoid the shovelware/minigame flood that the Wii experienced,meaning the good games that actually come out might not be hidden under all the crap....or maybe it's just me..

krumble

This may not be next gen

But I'm blown away by off tv gamepad play

This is my killer feature and can't imagine going back

Nothing compares to

TTT in your hands - just wow

Same with Sonic, Mario, COD....

Love this machine so much

zroid

Banned
I'd rather have a popular system with a few great games and a lot of shovelware, than an unpopular system with a few great games and no shovelware.

I just started thinking that if the Wii U doesn't explode, we might avoid the shovelware/minigame flood that the Wii experienced,meaning the good games that actually come out might not be hidden under all the crap....or maybe it's just me..

Pretty similar to the GameCube in that respect, which had a bunch of unique games and great Nintendo sequels.

jonno394

I'd rather have a popular system with a few great games and a lot of shovelware, than an unpopular system with a few great games and no shovelware.

That doesn't really make sense to me, what does popularity have to do with it if in both instances the console is getting "a few great games"

@evilromero; i'd be very happy with a Gamecube Mk 2 seeing as I preferred it to the Wii...

Bumhead

Banned

Why? What does the popularity matter if you're still getting great games?

Anyway, I wonder if Nintendo will add some more options for filtering communities when more games start releasing. Scrolling through that list might be some task when more and more communities are added. I'd at least like the option to pin communities at the top (I'm surprised this doesn't happen already with favourited communities).

I couldn't connect via video chat at all with a friend of mine living ~55km away. Not sure if my WiFi is too weak or what.

I was having an issue with not being able to connect to anyone. I'm not really a networking guy at all, but I wonder if router issues can be at play. I was unable to use the video chat with a buddy of mine, which I wrote off. But then later we couldn't connect to each other to play a game of Tekken Tag. He messed with his router a bit, and then both worked.

Mind you, that could be completely coincidental. I'm not sure.

zroid

Banned
That doesn't really make sense to me, what does popularity have to do with it if in both instances the console is getting "a few great games"

Why? What does the popularity matter if you're still getting great games?

Well, just to name a few things...

1. longer lifespan
2. bigger online community
3. more investment into the system by Nintendo (the firmware, for example)
4. more people in my social circles who will own the system --> easier to arrange multiplayer sessions

Even if the games *I* want to play are exactly the same in both cases, it's still better for us as consumers to own a system with a larger installed base.

How do you get the administrator to unblock your profile comment? They sent a message stating it was blocked, I replied back saying I had no broken the code of conduct, they replied back saying after review that I had not broken the code, but they have yet to actually do anything about it.

I had the same problem, I had GAF in my profile comment. The auto-mod looks for reverse spelling of bannable words. Anyway, I was un-blocked as soon as the mod replied after review... you could always email customer support if it isn't cleared up soon.

jonno394

Well, just to name a few things...

1. longer lifespan
2. bigger online community
3. more investment into the system by Nintendo
4. more people in my social circles who will own the system --> easier to arrange multiplayer sessions

Even if the games *I* want to play are exactly the same in both cases, it's still better for us as consumers to own a system with a larger installed base.

When I stated "explode" I meant in Wii terms. The Wii U could still be a popular system to the same level as say, the PS3 over time, but selling steadily over 5-6 years rather than selling such a vast amount of units in the first 12-18 months that every dev rushes out to releases crap on it.

I'd rather it sold around say the 50-60m lifetime units than the 100m units the Wii sold as long as it still makes good money for Nintendo, still has good quality games on it and still proves a success.

zroid

Banned
When I stated "explode" I meant in Wii terms. The Wii U could still be a popular system to the same level as say, the PS3 over time, but selling steadily over 5-6 years rather than selling such a vast amount of units in the first 12-18 months that every dev rushes out to releases crap on it.

I'd rather it sold around say the 50-60m lifetime units than the 100m units the Wii sold as long as it still makes good money for Nintendo, still has good quality games on it and still proves a success.

I don't think I would go so far as to say I'd rather it sell less than a certain amount, but as for what you're saying, that would be absolutely fine with me.

Zero148

So, after the first days with my lovely WiiU, I have some points I want to be added in the future:

- you should be able to see what games your friends have played on their consoles in Miiverse. I mean it detects if you own a game when you post something, so the information is there. Why isn't there a simple list for your friends in the profile?

- in any game if you make a lobby for a private online session (like in Sonic racing) you should still be able to hop into Miiverse to do some quick messaging. Also a group chat should be possible. The Messaging looks almost like whatsapp, so why not integrate a group chat like in whatsapp?

- more demos on the e-shop please, limited startups for them is a non issue imo

But all in all, I'm very happy with my new console. Miiverse in special is the best feature ever in console gaming, but there is room to improve it even further. And Nintendo should advertise Miiverse in their ads . Something like someone plays MHU but can't beat a Monster, hopps into Miiverse for help, adds a friend and gets immediatly coop help, because Miiverse is the consoles killer feature imo

madmackem

Is anyone else struggling a tad with the sticks on the gamepad, its not the placement its just the feel of them something seems off more so with the right stick. I hope i havent got a duffer.

I had the same problem, I had GAF in my profile comment. The auto-mod looks for reverse spelling of bannable words. Anyway, I was un-blocked as soon as the mod replied after review... you could always email customer support if it isn't cleared up soon.

Ohhh I see. Well that clears it up I guess.

Bumhead

Banned
Is anyone else struggling a tad with the sticks on the gamepad, its not the placement its just the feel of them something seems off more so with the right stick. I hope i havent got a duffer.

Not me. I'm pretty much in love with the GamePad as a controller. I'm hugely impressed by the quality of the sticks, D-Pad, triggers and face buttons,

Pikma

Banned
I don't think I would go so far as to say I'd rather it sell less than a certain amount, but as for what you're saying, that would be absolutely fine with me.

You can't blame him, Nintendo in defense mode is the best Nintendo, that's Nintendo's fault, not his. :p

Any chance we can watch the ND on Wii U like they showed?
Yeah, streams are confirmed to work, you'll be able to watch the stream on the TV while browsing the GAF thread on the GamePad. :3

Huh, there's no speech audio in Ass Creed if I have surround selected in tv audio options. Same was in Zombi U intro... I have a regular Samsung series 6 stereo tv with optical out to 5.1 amp, but my tv only lets me select pcm out...

Amneisac

Huh, there's no speech audio in Ass Creed if I have surround selected in tv audio options. Same was in Zombi U intro... I have a regular Samsung series 6 stereo tv with optical out to 5.1 amp, but my tv only lets me select pcm out...

Because you're only getting stereo sound out from your TV.

You need to go HDMI to the receiver first or you won't get surround sound. Optical out from your TV is almost always only stereo. I recently had to address this issue myself.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Try changing the router channel from 1 to 11, or 11 to 1, whichever it would be...that's what worked for me...
And be sure to reboot the router afterwards.
Working so much better now. Lol I forgot to reboot the router. Whatever. Thank you either way.

I know it's been touched upon before, but let's talk about the inflated prices on the uk store. what's the reason for some of the insane prices? how they justify charging £50 for super mario or zombiu? it's £5 cheaper than game, but still £5 more expensive than most other retailers and then there's games like chasing aurora which are prices at least £2 to £3 too much.

I won't even bother talking about the rebate for premiums seeing as we only get 8 points instead of 10 like other regions.

I really hope nintendo address the prices at some point and they are only inflated due to release.

farnham

Banned
This may not be next gen

But I'm blown away by off tv gamepad play

This is my killer feature and can't imagine going back

Nothing compares to

TTT in your hands - just wow

Same with Sonic, Mario, COD....

Love this machine so much
Yeah the tech is amazing played a bit of ass creed 3 before sleeping yesterday and damn that game looks good on the gamepad (same with trine 2)

Koren

I think the language option is badly done since it takes the information from system settings. I'd still like to see posts from example French people who write in English. I don't want to block them all but I could hide the ones I can't read.
Same here.

Besides, I'd rather post into english, while keeping my 'main' language to french, and that'll tag my posts with the wrong language.

That being said, it's difficult to cover every case, especially if they want to keep it user-friendly...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Getting a few hairline scratches on the touchscreen. My stylus feels me it has a little snaggy bit on the tip (DS often feels similar). Unlike with DS/3DS where you're usually looking at the top screen, I'm concerned because you spend a lot of time looking at the gamepad screen. Are screen protectors worth it (never had any before)? And no issue removing them if/when they get scratched?

You need to go HDMI to the receiver first or you won't get surround sound. Optical out from your TV is almost always only stereo. I recently had to address this issue myself.

Yeah, Wii U only sends out PCM 5.1, and an optical cable doesn't have the bandwidth for that. The best thing you can get is PCM 2.0 when connecting HDMI -> TV -> optical out -> Wii U.

Well, shit. I'll have to rethink my whole audio setup... My tv has 5 Hdmi inputs, but if I can't use the digital audio out, then 4 of them are useless and I'll have to get some kind of external switch box with optical out, and then I'll have to deal with different audio delay settings again. Or continue using the present system and try not to think what I'm missing...

I dunno if it was mentioned already but tomorrow is another Nintendo Direct regarding 3DS and WiiU by NOE at 6PM CET. Perhaps that's why the store is down?

They'll talk about games of 2012/Q1 2013

Amneisac

Well, shit. I'll have to rethink my whole audio setup... My tv has 5 Hdmi inputs, but if I can't use the digital audio out, then 4 of them are useless and I'll have to get some kind of external switch box with optical out, and then I'll have to deal with different audio delay settings again. Or continue using the present system and try not to think what I'm missing...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0049SCB2Y/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I really, really love that HDMI switch.

Edit: Oh, I might have misunderstood, does your receiver not have HDMI at all? If not, at this point as I understand it you won't be able to get the multi-channel lpcm output from the WiiU at all.

That's not going to help with the Wii U. You should still get DD5.1 with 360 and PS3 with your setup, but there is no way you'll ever be able to get 5.1 with Wii U if you don't have a receiver that supports PCM5.1.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0049SCB2Y/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I really, really love that HDMI switch.

Edit: Oh, I might have misunderstood, does your receiver not have HDMI at all? If not, at this point as I understand it you won't be able to get the multi-channel lpcm output from the WiiU at all.

Yeah, it an old Pioneer without HDMI. Looks like I'm going to get a new one at some point... My Series 6 edge LED Samsung has very long delays in audio, and I have used the optical audio out to get rid of them.

They don't play on the gamepad. They play on the TV. Makes that app pointless really.

EDIT - Also, the manual for it in in German by the looks of it too!

Thanks, I'll check it out tonight.

I just assumed that they'd automatically play on the gamepad. I wonder whose ridiculous decision it was to not allow this?

Peagles

Interesting

If you idle in the Wii U's menu screen, the music becomes a bit quiet and calm until you press something.

That reminds me, I love that the pad and TV go dim after you haven't used it for awhile, but if you pick up the pad again the gyro must sense it and everything springs back to normal brightness as soon as you touch it!

qq more

That reminds me, I love that the pad and TV go dim after you haven't used it for awhile, but if you pick up the pad again the gyro must sense it and everything springs back to normal brightness as soon as you touch it!

I love that as well. Very cool touches Nintendo tends to make on their systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom