• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Release Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric C

So I just started setting up the Wii U and I just got to the part where I have to update my system. Its been moving so, so slow and I was wondering if I could have it going in the background while I messed around with the system? I don't wanna push some button and have it start all over lol.

From the looks of it the first update can't be in the background, but later ones can.

First update can, and is done in the background if you click "cancel" or "update later" or whatever the option is BEFORE you start the update.

Nintendo just doesn't tell you this so almost everyone sits through first the update.

DjRoomba

Banned
First update can, and is done in the background if you click "cancel" or "update later" or whatever the option is BEFORE you start the update.

Nintendo just doesn't tell you this so almost everyone sits through first the update.

Yeah but theres no point in background updating. Games get hella slow when youre downloading or updating, not much else youll be able to do b4 update.

Yeah but theres no point in background updating. Games get hella slow when youre downloading or updating, not much else youll be able to do b4 update.

Not all games do at all though, the background downloading (regardless of almost anything that you do) is a great feature! Aside from the initial update, I've let every piece of software download or update in the background while doing other things

so wats the over/under on when the Wii U will get its own Virtual console?
What about more useful apps?
Not alot of system-based software where there could be.
I hope Nintendo is working around the clock on this kinda stuff as well as their new games.

A application that would make the machine able to play other forms of media, like for instance DVD or MP3, would realy be nice.
A VLC app. perhaps?
Virtual Console on release day would have doubled the sales i reckon.... want it now!

Is this whole

Wiiu sold well on christmas thing real and based on numbers or just pure speculation

The last impression i got from retail musings threads is that it tanked badly since it is in stock

There are lots of idiots on neogaf who fervently pretend the Wii U tanked. It has launched better than every system but the Wii and PS2. Enjoy!

liger05

Finally started to play some Nano Assault.

Can someone please tell me why at the start of the levels I can go in any direction I want but then suddenly during the level I can only go one way without being able to turn around?

Question regarding Nintendo Netowrk ids.

I'm going through setting up a child account, paid the 50 cents and everything...If i use my email for the account, will that lock me out of using that same email for my personal id i want to create?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
So, are there any WiiU exclusive games on the eshop (specifically games that don't have a retail equivalent), and if so, are there any worth picking up right now?

So, are there any WiiU exclusive games on the eshop (specifically games that don't have a retail equivalent), and if so, are there any worth picking up right now?

The favorite exclusive seems to be Nano Assault Neo, it's made by Shin'en. Chasing Aurora and Little Inferno seem really underwhelming to me. Mighty Switch Force might be my favorite, though it's already on the 3DS and not technically exclusive. if you haven't played that, it's a good pick up.

zroid

Banned

The only games truly exclusive to the eShop, as in unavailable on any other platform, are Chasing Aurora and Nano Assault Neo. It seems Chasing Aurora was disappointing, but Nano Assault Neo is definitely a great twin stick shooter.

Apparently Mighty Switch Force and Trine 2 also have some Wii U exclusive content, however.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
The only games truly exclusive to the eShop, as in unavailable on any other platform, are Chasing Aurora and Nano Assault Neo. It seems Chasing Aurora was disappointing, but Nano Assault Neo is definitely a great twin stick shooter.

Apparently Mighty Switch Force and Trine 2 also have some Wii U exclusive content, however.

Chasing Aurora is apparently amazing in multi-player, it's just the single player mode sucks.

Darkgran

Nephew got one for Xmas wanted me to help him hook it up. Turn it on and get a flashing blue light. No video or anything. Tried other inputs.. Nothing. Can people confirm its DOA?

nevermind, got my answer from the nintendo tech support forums. You cannot use the same email for multiple NNIDs. That is insane.

I still don't know how to edit my main mii :-(

on the main wii u menu, click on your mii on the top left corner of the game pad and click on "change user mii" it'll take you to a screen that'll let you edit your mii.

It's a little backwards you cant do it from the mii maker, it's really tough to find. plus, "change mii" doesnt make i clear that that's where you'd go to edit your guy.

Eric C

Chasing Aurora(103MB) - $14.99 sale $7.49
Little Inferno(114MB) - $14.99 sale $9.99
Mighty Switch Force! Hyper Drive Edition(525MB) - $9.99
Nano Assault Neo(81MB) - $9.99
Trine 2: Director's Cut(1.9GB) - $19.99sale $15.99

I think that's all of them... I might be missing one or two.

Though Trine 2 is also on PS3 and 360, but the Wii U version has more content. And Mighty Switch Force is also on the 3DS.

I'm personally loving Nano Assault Neo.

Was at over 2,000 online a few minutes ago. Highest I've seen so far.

These numbers aren't THAT bad, especially when you consider that COD is mainly a 360/PC title that have an even smaller install base on PS3. Most people who would get it and play it online would get it for a console that already has an install base and they are not going to get it on a brand new console that most of their COD Bros don't have.

On a separate note, I'm glad that those who are getting Wii Us are enjoying them. Outside of the slow nature of it's UI and the occasional lockups, my wife and I love it. For Christmas, we received several Wii titles for it:

• Xenoblade Chronicles
  • Pikmin 2
  • Tatsunoko vs Capcom (Owned this title awhile back)
  • Zak & Wiki

We might buy a few more titles (and a Wii Pro Controller) tomorrow, since GS is having a Buy 2 Get 1 sale on Wii and DS games. I hope the word of mouth of the Wii U spreads and more people get a chance to appreciate the nice console Nintendo created.

farnham

Banned
These numbers aren't THAT bad, especially when you consider that COD is mainly a 360/PC title that have an even smaller install base on PS3. Most people who would get it and play it online would get it for a console that already has an install base and they are not going to get it on a brand new console that most of their COD Bros don't have.

On a separate note, I'm glad that those who are getting Wii Us are enjoying them. Outside of the slow nature of it's UI and the occasional lockups, my wife and I love it. For Christmas, we received several Wii titles for it:

• Xenoblade Chronicles
  • Pikmin 2
  • Tatsunoko vs Capcom (Owned this title awhile back)
  • Zak & Wiki

We might buy a few more titles (and a Wii Pro Controller) tomorrow, since GS is having a Buy 2 Get 1 sale on Wii and DS games. I hope the word of mouth of the Wii U spreads and more people get a chance to appreciate the nice console Nintendo created.
Get the last story

netBuff

That number is absolutely atrocious. The following numbers were quoted in November, in response to the Kotaku story:

PS3: 570 000 multiplayer
360: 641 000 multiplayer

That number is absolutely atrocious. The following numbers were quoted in November, in response to the Kotaku story:

only the cool hipster kids are playing cod on wiiu like me, but really im sure when the next one comes out the numbers will drastically increase

zroid

Banned
I'm more interested to see how well it did relative to Activision's expectations. Sell-through of a late-arriving port to a new console of a game few people were going to wait for wasn't ever going to set the world ablaze.

Simultaneously logged on? Pretty big numbers if so, PC CODBLOPSII peak was 37k today. DOTA2 had 180k and was on top.

Nano Assault Neo is worth it if you like shooters, Chasing Aurora too for multi. I really loved Little Inferno but it's also available on PC.

EMBee99

all that he wants is another baby
Friend me!

NNid: ericmbee

Finding myself very excited by the multimedia aspects of the console along with the gameplay. Off Screen play is a godsend in my house (wife and kids limit my gameplay), esp something like BLOPS2.

Got my Wii U on launch day, transfered over my Wii content including Miis. Today I got a 3DSXL. Both the Wii U and my new 3DSXL are linked with my Club Nintendo act. Is there any other integration I should be aware of?

Is "Cloning" my Wii U Mii to my 3DSXL possible? I'm not sure if there would be a reason to do this anyways.

I read they'll give you a survey for Nintendland a week later after you've registered your bundle.
Thanks!

Got my Wii U on launch day, transfered over my Wii content including Miis. Today I got a 3DSXL. Both the Wii U and my new 3DSXL are linked with my Club Nintendo act. Is there any other integration I should be aware of?

Is "Cloning" my Wii U Mii to my 3DSXL possible? I'm not sure if there would be a reason to do this anyways.
I know you can clone from 3DS to Wii U, so I suspect it's possible vice versa.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony

You can transfer a Mii from a 3DS to the Wii U but I don't know if you can transfer a Mii from the U's Mii Studio to 3DS.

Right now there's no further integration between 3DS and Wii U besides Club Nintendo association, however in 2013 Miiverse and NNiD login in some form, is supposedly coming to 3DS (along with web and mobile devices like Android / iOS).

So, just got BO2 as an Xmas gift. Wondering if
I should go for it or just return it and get something else (AC3?). I'm just skeptical of the online community from the short anecdotes I've heard.

noobasuar

Banned
I've been having a blast with the system all day today. Don't have any other games other than NintendoLand but I'm defiantly gonna pick up ZombiU and NSMBU very soon.

If anyone want's to add me my NNID is Noobasuar. Let me know if you add me and I'll add you!

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
So, just got BO2 as an Xmas gift. Wondering if
I should go for it or just return it and get something else (AC3?). I'm just skeptical of the online community from the short anecdotes I've heard.

There's consistently 1000 - 1200 people online, community wise player behavior seems fine. Given the loyalty of the Wii CoD base, I was expecting a following to stay around the game.

Waiting to see if the base grows now that christmas is here and a lot more consoles are in the wild. For what it's worth, BO2 seems to be one of the best games for offscreen play - playing multiplayer any time on the pad + local dual screen with a friend able to go online with you, using the pad screen.

There's consistently 1000 - 1200 people online, community wise player behavior seems fine. Given the loyalty of the Wii CoD base, I was expecting a following to stay around the game.

Waiting to see if the base grows now that christmas is here and a lot more consoles are in the wild. For what it's worth, BO2 seems to be one of the best games for offscreen play - playing multiplayer any time on the pad + local dual screen with a friend able to go online with you, using the pad screen.

I saw the online population for multiplayer up to 2000+ this morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom