• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Release Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
WOA, to those that were discussing the screen not fitting on their TV yesterday...

there actually IS a screen size option hidden on the wii u. I found it under Miiverse, User, Settings/Other, Miiverse Settings, scroll to bottom, its Screen Size and for some reason mine was set larger than my TV so I just moved it down a bit and snap, perfectly fits my tv now without any overscan options.

so weird...
This is a systemwide issue. So, even if you adjust it in miiverse, you will need to do the same in all of the other apps. Games don't even give you the option, so they will be cut off somewhat unless you fiddle with your tv settings.

Are there any Sonic & All-Stars Racing reviews anywhere?

This game is crazy good, almost too good to believe that it has a $40 price tag. It's like a crazy super ambitious version of mario kart. The tracks are very unique and varying, and gamepad support is solid. The only thing it needs is a bigger online community. Hopefully christmas changes that.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
As we learned with the Lightning adapter debacle, there's no way to supply more than 5V safely using a micro USB adapter. I wouldn't be surprised if the tablet needs more juice than that to charge quickly.

It's a 1300mAH battery that seems to take 3 hours to charge using the AC adapter. Almost certain you could charge that using USB. even mains USB chargers would at least mean we could reuse ones we already have. i'm expecting to have to buy a spare ac charger because the one supplied will be used up on the dock and wont reach where i'm sitting.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Question:

If I plug headphones into the Gamepad, would headphones also play the sounds that come out of the TV? For example, I want to play Zombi U at night, but can't turn the TV volume on. If I mute the TV and plug headphones into the Gamepad, will I still hear everything? Or just Gamepad specific sound effects?

Yes. Also if you turn off the sound on the pad the pad exclusive sounds are routed through your TV (without headphones obviously).

How does audio quality compare? Plugging headphones into the gamepad is way more convenient than running a long cable to my TV, but does the quality hold up? I can do either.

Rich!

I've got some wireless Sony headphones that I use, but they are weighted a bit too much on the higher end. It'll be awesome to use my in ear shures plugged into the gamepad. Much better low range than my other ones.

Does the OS and Miiverse not completely fit on the TV screen for anyone else? It cuts off a little bit off the edges on the TV, but it fits completely on the GamePad.

Hmm, I turned it to just scan instead of 16:9 and it fit it all in.

Your TV should always be using Just with HD sources.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Jeeze. Had this thing 2 days and I haven't used that button once. Why isnt Friend List an option from the main menu? So. Strange.

Add a friend from the friends list, other person doesn't get a notification, they have to add you back (like friend codes). Add a friend from miiverse, the other person gets a notification. Doesn't make sense.

So it's easier to add strangers than people you know.

Seik

Banned
Man the Miiverse is full of hyped and positive people, this is great.

The OS looks really less dumb as well, without the Nintendo reps and actual real people with some really awesome drawings.

EDIT: Browsing GAF on the Gamepad while listening to music/videos via youtube on the TV feels fucking good, this thing is smooth. :)

The OS looks really less dumb as well, without the Nintendo reps and actual real people with some really awesome drawings.

This is actually something I'm finding very cool tonight. I'm just relaxing having it in the background and just enjoying seeing all the cool art people are doing.

Seik

Banned
This is actually something I'm finding very cool tonight. I'm just relaxing having it in the background and just enjoying seeing all the cool art people are doing.

Yeah same here, I took like 5 minutes with a friend before starting a game and we were both like ''Woah check this one.'' ''Man that's great.'' ''Holy shit.''. Its amazing what some people can do with such simple tools.

Kevtones

+1 to the MiiVerse love.

NNID: Kevtones

Been adding some great GAF-people so far. Love wandering the communities and seeing the art and posting. So quick and rewarding.

One thing is that it needs to connect you better to your friends. The Friends List feels a bit too isolated and while I like that it has its own thing; the integration on many fronts needs to feel closer/quicker.

On the whole, MiiVerse is pretty fantastic.

Wii games really do look better. I was BLOWN away by Xenoblade . I remember that game being blurry and not very detailed. The downside is there are more jaggies but i'll take em'

oh and Skyward sword, epic Mickey, and Super mario galaxy 2 (looks like an HD game to me now) looks great too

Eteric Rice

EDIT: Browsing GAF on the Gamepad while listening to music/videos via youtube on the TV feels fucking good, this thing is smooth. :)

I know right? I can leave it there and just check out all of the art work that pops up.

A few things I would change at this point is adding the "Friends" icon to the main OS page. That and allow people to see the progress people have made in their games on their MiiVerse page.

But so far MiiVerse is surprisingly solid. Netflix is pretty nice too. Only thing I don't like about netflix is that it doesn't respond to the touch screen as well as the other parts of the system.

This thing won't be going anywhere, though. It will be my main media system even if no games come out in the future.

MiiVerse needs to be added to 3DS!

One thing is that it needs to connect you better to your friends. The Friends List feels a bit too isolated and while I like that it has its own thing; the integration on many fronts needs to feel closer/quicker.

I agree. I think the friends list should be fleshed out and moved to Miiverse instead of being its own thing.

Picked it up on Wii U and never played the first one. Still not sure if I like it more than MK or not, but I definitely think it deserves a spot alongside it... really great game. The items are effective, easy to use, and pretty balanced. And the tracks are amazing. Put in about two hours or so with it so far.

My fiance can't get into it because she hates the flying sections; they came naturally to me though.

I'm really liking Sonic All Stars Racing. It's like they mixed OutRun, Hydro Thunder, and Diddy Kong Racing, added a dash of Mario Kart, and then made it a Sega tribute. And it's a great online game too.

As for flying, I was having lots of problems with it, not able to really control myself at all, and then for some reason it suddenly "clicked" and now it's no problem.

RobbieNick

Making this post while watching a Giant Bomb video about Tank!Tank!Tank! on the TV. The browser on this is great! I'm still having some server connection problems though. Especially playing Sonic Racing Transformed.

Wehrwolf

Any quirks I should know about for the Wii U's internet connection?

I have no problems connecting my computer, 360, ps3, wii, 3ds, ipad, and psp to the internet, but the Wii U keeps saying 'connection failed. Unable to find Wi-Fi connection'... and I've tried its recommended steps (uplugged & reconnected the router, double checked wep settings, moved it away from other electronics, etc)

Edit: I found the answer here, and its all good:

http://techforums.nintendo.com/message/77869

neoanarch

Any quirks I should know about for the Wii U's internet connection?

I have no problems connecting my computer, 360, ps3, wii, 3ds, ipad, and psp to the internet, but the Wii U keeps saying 'connection failed. Unable to find Wi-Fi connection'... and I've tried its recommended steps (uplugged & reconnected the router, double checked wep settings, moved it away from other electronics, etc)

Edit: I found the answer here, and its all good:

http://techforums.nintendo.com/message/77869

9. Now hit next, hit configure now for your DNS. When asked about DNS hit "Dont auto obtain".

10. For the first server put in 8.8.8.8

11. For the second server put in 8.8.4.4

Be aware that DNS address is gGoogles. If you want to stick with your isp's DNS servers substitute the bold with your ISPs dNS address.

Same.

It'll be magical once the patch hits next week lol

Is there really another patch slated for next week or is that the joke? I mean, I see the lol, so I know that part of it is a joke, I just don't know if the statement is the joke or the fact that there's already another patch coming out to fix it is the joke.

God I'm tired. >_<

Wehrwolf

I wonder how many more times I'll have to see the abbreviation 'AC3' before I think 'Assassins Creed 3' and not 'Armored Core 3'.

Probably awhile seeing how I never stopped thinking 'Thunder Force 2' at first whenever I saw someone mentioning TF2...

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Hoping that Grasshopper's chummy relationship with Nintendo will lead to Killer is Dead on the Wii U. And for it to be on par with the PS3 version.

someone tell me why do I play for HULU plus to get ads on my Wii U?

Hoping that Grasshopper's chummy relationship with Nintendo will lead to Killer is Dead on the Wii U. And for it to be on par with the PS3 version.

we are going to need a new Nintendo Direct in Japan for most of the quiet to go away hopeful this game is coming

I don't think I would actually mind having something like the Kindle app on the Wii U, even if just for convenience's sake when I'm in bed or something.

kitsuneyo

I'd rather an exclusive No More Heroes 3. WiiU needs exclusive games to succeed I think.

This game is crazy good, almost too good to believe that it has a $40 price tag.

SEGA pricing experiment? I hope it pays off for them with big numbers. $40/£30 games has to be the future. More games bought at that price, and fewer people waiting for inevitable price reductions.

bill0527

Is anyone actually enjoying their Wii U? I was going to make a thread asking this question but the front page is so cluttered with Wii U threads already, most if them boiling down to how bad the system sucks.

Well i for one am really enjoying it along with my 8 yr old daughter. She prefers us playing together in Nintendo Land, but im more into NSMBU. She's just not very good at it and doesnt really know the Mario Universe that i grew up with.

I've already spent more time with it than i did the Wii during its entire life cycle. I hated the waggle controls from the beginning. I love the game pad and its nice to finally see some HD graphics on a Nintendo console.

Surely I am not on an island out here by myself.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'd rather an exclusive No More Heroes 3. WiiU needs exclusive games to succeed I think.

Agreed on both counts, but I'd still like to see a good port of Killer is Dead on the system.

Is anyone actually enjoying their Wii U? I was going to make a thread asking this question but the front page is so cluttered with Wii U threads already, most if them boiling down to how bad the system sucks.

Well i for one am really enjoying it along with my 8 yr old daughter. She prefers us playing together in Nintendo Land, but im more into NSMBU. She's just not very good at it and doesnt really know the Mario Universe that i grew up with.

I've already spent more time with it than i did the Wii during its entire life cycle. I hated the waggle controls from the beginning. I love the game pad and its nice to finally see some HD graphics on a Nintendo console.

I think a lot of people who picked it up are really enjoying the system. Myself included. There are a few nitpicks I have with the Wii U (slow OS, NinID Locked to the system) but hopefully those issues can be worked out in time.

I'm loving it too. Enjoying NSMBU and Nintendoland solo, and played a bit of Nintendoland with my wife and 5-yr old. Surprisingly they liked the Zelda mini game the best, better than Mario Chase and Luigi's Mansion, which I thought would be easier to play for them.

Wiz

You aren't alone man! I'm enjoying it a lot too. Especially Nintendo Land. Me, my sister, and my brother had an hour long play session last night which got us about 200+ coins. It was a blast, considering we don't even play games together much anymore. Out of all the games, Animal Crossing Sweet Day, Mario Chase, and Pikmin Adventure were by far the most fun with 3+ players.

NSMBU is great as well, and the Miiverse functions for that game make the experience a lot more community driven.

I am going to rate this Hulu app so low
LLShC.gif

so for that I'll let it play for an hour for that rating and bitch about it on Miiverse

sound levels suck on gamepad and tv can't rewind

You're not alone...there just seems to be a lot of negativity (and negative hyperbole) out there right now. I hope that will level off soon. I'm very much enjoying mine, and as long as you are enjoying yours then that is all that matters.

EatChildren

Most the accused 'negativity' is isolated to threads very specifically about topics that are negatives. Some people aren't happy with the hardware. Some aren't happy with Nintendo's accounts service (or lack thereof). People aren't happy with the launch ports. And they have a right to be. Not everybody is going to be overwhelming optimistic about everything.

It's good that we have threads for those topics to be discussed, as people can do so without clogging up threads like these.

sammy

Does the rumble on anybody's WiiU give off a loud WHHIIRRRING sound? less rumbe, more like the gyro whizzing around inside. I have an extra WiiU deluxe shipping, was planning to sell off or give to a charity but now I wanna' open it up to see if the other WiiU tablet buzzes.

Anyways, last night I was walking through target and saw a WiiU Deluxe just sitting there in the wild so I grabbed it up (since my snail-mail WiiU won't ship to me for another 20 days.)

Man, setting up a new console just ain't what it use to was! Took me a while but I got the update and Wii transfer done in time for some NSMB U and Sonic Racing. I can't express how nice it is to see some Nintendo stuff in HD.
The extra brightness on the Tablet when it is plugged in is a nice touch for when you just want to play it instead of the big screen.

So far I get the feeling that nintendo is really reaching out to the hardcore gamers attention, and to create some new ones. NintendoLand just feels like a training ground for core gamer skills.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom