• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Release Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
About the situation in Europe: I have had the Wii U for two weeks now (press), and there's no update. Contacted Nintendo and all they say is wait for launch day. So I don't know for sure if there'll be an update or not but my guess is there will be.

Also, yes, in all Media Markts in the netherlands you can get the second game for half price.

Hopefully the update goes live on Thursday. Don't want to leave the midnight launchers without an updated machine

Bumhead

Banned
How much of a finger print magnet is the black Wii U.

This is ridiculous, but I think finger prints and smudges is a bigger factor between basic and Deluxe than the added value of the Deluxe is. I like both colours but wish the Deluxe was a matte finish. Might still yet go for black if the condition holds up.

so you EU guys are doubtful of day 1 update like IGN / Giantbomb and all other gaming news sites started doubting the US update would come on the 18th?

This is ridiculous, but I think finger prints and smudges is a bigger factor between basic and Deluxe than the added value of the Deluxe is. I like both colours but wish the Deluxe was a matte finish. Might still yet go for black if the condition holds up.

I kinda clean my black gamepad when I feel it needs cleaning a paper towel, cloth whatever makes it shiny again.
I don't touch my console?

seriously this issue is way overblown and extra fussy

luffeN

wait are you confirming a lovefilm instant app for the uk?

please?

PLEAAASSSE

It says Love Film Instant on my Wii U (Austria).

Edit: @Smiles I hope that the update will go live at 00:00 on the 30th :D

Edit2: Love Film
c9ca9m5w53gc0quvz.jpg

YMMV. For me, I notice them, but they don't stand out as much as the PSP. I would've preferred a white model, though.

Moze

Banned
It says Love Film Instant on my Wii U (Austria).

Edit: @Smiles I hope that the update will go live at 00:00 on the 30th :D

Edit2: Love Film

thank you for the info

this is the one app i wanted.

i didnt know austria had lovefilm though? i thought it was a uk only thing

dyergram

I have an Onkyo ONTXSR605S TX-SR605S Home Theater Receiver (Silver) that I ordered back in '08. It's been an awesome receiver and it has two HDMI inputs, and I think it will support surround sound from the WiiU, but my problem is that it doesn't support 1080P output and I have a 1080P TV set, so my question is essentially this:

Would I notice a huge difference passing HDMI through the receiver and displaying in 720p instead of 1080p since the games are all being natively rendered around 720p anyways? I feel like any small IQ sacrifice would be worth the gains in sound, right? As of right now I'm going HDMI straight to the TV and then Optic to the receiver and I understand I'm only getting stereo sound at this point.

TL;DR: 720p with 5.1 or 1080p with Stereo?
I have the same amp don't think it supports picture and sound over hdmi ill let you know when my wiiu comes...

so you EU guys are doubtful of day 1 update like IGN / Giantbomb and all other gaming news sites started doubting the US update would come on the 18th?

I kinda clean my black gamepad when I feel it needs cleaning a paper towel, cloth whatever makes it shiny again.

If you're someone that cares about fingerprints on their console/controller, it's not overblown at all. The black Wii U console and controller looks incredibly nasty after being touched. I moved my console around a bunch trying to find a spot that would send a signal upstairs reliably, and the next day I noticed all the smudges. The controller looks like a crime scene. Personally I don't give a crap about fingerprints/smudges etc. But for people that do(they exist) get the white Wii U.

@luffeN good to have you here for midnight updates :p

Cheers. I have a Deluxe pre-ordered but would prefer white. If my local store has white I might try and grab one of those and cancel my deluxe on the day.

you guys do know the white has the same smooth surface and a dirty hand will still contribute to the dirty looks of it overtime? I have to clean my white remotes as well for some reason I don't like when something white changes shades to some gross grime, must clean it.

snacking and gaming :)

If you're someone that cares about fingerprints on their console/controller, it's not overblown at all. The black Wii U console and controller looks incredibly nasty after being touched. I moved my console around a bunch trying to find a spot that would send a signal upstairs reliably, and the next day I noticed all the smudges. The controller looks like a crime scene. Personally I don't give a crap about fingerprints/smudges etc. But for people that do(they exist) get the white Wii U.

what I am saying is dirty white looks nastier over time :shiver:

I haven't cleaned my Black gamepad at all and I've played on it almost daily with multiple people. Doesn't look that bad at all. Now fingerprints don't bother me really but I do notice them. Barely noticeable. My phone and iPad get way worse fingerprints on them. Granted, that's a touchscreen compared to the black finish but still. Blown way over proportion.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Might need a case or sleeve to cover the plastic parts. Hmm.

The Nyko thing is weird. Why couldn't they just replace the existing battery cover with a slightly deeper one, and fit a larger battery inside? Their solution is ugly and overblown

Arc07

My system is running the current FW.

I pressed the home button to quit a game and saw this.

9rt1zm.jpg

Pressed the Download Management and saw this.
M4elMm.jpg

If I go to system update in the settings I'm welcomed to this after it searches for an update.
1lccEm.jpg

Fox Mulder

Sure, the glossy finish is just a dumb gripe that shouldn't be a problem. It's just that the controller looks like I play while eating a bucket of chicken and makes me wonder why they didn't make the whole controller the same matte finish that the back is.

Having a glossy console is fine, not my preference, but a glossy controller meant to be passed around to people during multiplayer is kind of dumb.

AndTAR

Just checked my email....both my wii-u's have been dispatched. Should get it by Friday. Thanks Amazon!!
Nothing for me either. Is your shipping option standard/free?

Maybe they dispatch earlier for people without 1-day shipping. Mic and I both have 1-day, and have not yet seen dispatch notices.

Edit: Looks like NA.

Update Imminent!?

I guess they could be doing hotfixes for the more pressing issues. (Total lockups/etc..)

I have to turn on my Wii U again to check to see if I also have this issue

I hope it means some kind of update is coming

edit: I think I read on Nintendo.com networks page that Tuesday is maintenance day I cannot find the link

K444WSR

Nothing for me either. Is your shipping option standard/free?

Maybe they dispatch earlier for people without 1-day shipping. Mic and I both have 1-day, and have not yet seen dispatch notices.

I guess they could be doing hotfixes for the more pressing issues. (Total lockups/etc..)

Yep, I've got standard shipping, they've always hit launch day whenever I've preordered something so didn't feel the need to pay extra. Hope you guys get your despatch email soon.

turned it one when to options and hit update and it told me my system is up to date
hit home no errors on download manager but I had that x last week so I seen this before wonder what is up

Sure, the glossy finish is just a dumb gripe that shouldn't be a problem. It's just that the controller looks like I play while eating a bucket of chicken and makes me wonder why they didn't make the whole controller the same matte finish that the back is.

Having a glossy console is fine, not my preference, but a glossy controller meant to be passed around to people during multiplayer is kind of dumb.

I find it interesting that it takes a shiny controller to shock us into realizing how much oily stuff the human body produces and our hands touch all the time.

just think we touch each other with those same hands that the gamepad is showing us leaves those prints... in the end it is not the gamepad's fault at all

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I'm so broke the only games I have are nintendoland from the box and wipeout 3 from gamefly.

I have no wii motes or a pro controller.

Waiting to maybe hopefully get Mario from gamefly.

Needless to say, my wii u deluxe hasn't gotten the use it deserves.

Oh well, ill have monies in 2 weeks.

Actually I'm fixing to blow the 200$ i currently have on a trip to Nashville.

But yeah two weeks. Screw biweekly checks.

I'm so broke the only games I have are nintendoland from the box and wipeout 3 from gamefly.

I have no wii motes or a pro controller.

Waiting to maybe hopefully get Mario from gamefly.

Needless to say, my wii u deluxe hasn't gotten the use it deserves.

Oh well, ill have monies in 2 weeks.

Actually I'm fixing to blow the 200$ i currently have on a trip to Nashville.

But yeah two weeks. Screw biweekly checks.

Nashville? Nice. If it's your first time, check out the Gaylord Opryland Resort.

the Yoshi's Land thing threw me for a loop... since this absurd Wii mini thing came true. I am now a little more hyped about more Wii U games. Sure I knew they were coming but did not expect a december announcement being possible

Yes it would, but give us Netflix too you buggers.

(Did wii have Netflix in the UK?)
Poor Germans don't get Netflix :-(.

Nope, does not have it, Germany only according to the page :/
My 16 € 6 months subscription is ready ;-p.

Posted in the Wii Mini thread.

And video http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=km4n6RMeBD8

I am still debating on whether or not to pick up a Basic this Friday.
I have a 3h train trip this weekend and totally plan to do this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom