• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U sales compared to PS2, 360, PS3, & Wii - Not doomed

No, because in the ridiculous land of strawmen that the OP lives in, people who acknowledge the high probability that the Wii U will miss Nintendo's own financial forecasts are essentially saying it's doomed.

This doesn't have to be a binary awesome/failure scale here. There are degrees.

It just that it hurts dicussion, and the DOOMED meme seems to only be thrown out their by fanboys looking to turn the argument into some crazy lopsided version of what it actually is.

May not be doomed in America, it is in Europe.

I'd doubt it, Europe has always been a very strong territory for Nintendo.

The UK (which is a subset of europe) has always been a very poor territory for Nintendo however, outside of handhelds, before somebody starts posting chart track numbers.

goomba

Banned
Vocal fanboys want Nintendo to make games for "their" console.

Personally I like how Nintendo take their own route. Who wants 3 identically featured consoles with mostly the same games ?

Loaded Man

Thanks for posting this, OP. I'm really tired of the negativity/hatred that a lot people have towards Nintendo. If it wasn't for them, I would never have been a gamer in the first place. I hope they succeed with this console.

it's not that it's "doomed", it's more like... after the sucess Wii was with the mainstream, after Nintendo was a dominant force once again, there's no buzz for the WiiU, no hype, nothing.

you know that saying in Hollywood "the only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about"?

the WiiU is simply not being talked about.

teiresias

The amount of Nintendo fanboys unable to stomach reading the same language they've been using to characterize the Vita when it's leveled against the WiiU has been highly entertaining the past few days.

Thanks for posting this, OP. I'm really tired of the negativity/hatred that a lot people have towards Nintendo. If it wasn't for them, I would never have been a gamer in the first place. I hope they succeed with this console.

Oh lord this is going to be a rough year for people.

The amount of Nintendo fanboys unable to stomach reading the same language they've been using to characterize the Vita when it's leveled against the WiiU has been highly entertaining the past few days.

To be fair outside of Europe, the launches look nothing alike. Wii U will probably outsell Vita's LTD by mid year in both NA and Japan.

I know right? The Vita might even pass 360 sales in Japan in 3 or 4 months.

HardRojo

I say the Wii U is underperforming right now but in no way is it doomed, we'll have to see how it performs in the coming months but even that won't be signs of anything, I'm curious as to how Nintendo is gonna respond this and next year, they know they need to pump those first party games.

Derrick01

Banned
360 was in huge demand and had shortages for a long time. Wii U has stacks of consoles at most stores still. It's not a comparable situation.

Tookay

It just that it hurts dicussion, and the DOOMED meme seems to only be thrown out their by fanboys looking to turn the argument into some crazy lopsided version of what it actually is.

I'm just being facetious. I agree completely with you.

Nobody in either of those threads who thought the Wii U is underperforming or doing mediocre sales ever said it was "doomed".

It was all fanboys preemptively trying to characterize reasonable people and their arguments into something more ridiculous than they actually were.

This constant "siege mentality" of Nintendo fans makes me embarrassed to be one, honestly.

~ZIO~

Neo Member
it's not that it's "doomed", it's more like... after the sucess Wii was with the mainstream, after Nintendo was a dominant force once again, there's no buzz for the WiiU, no hype, nothing.

you know that saying in Hollywood "the only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about"?

the WiiU is simply not being talked about.

No way. I think the Wii U is talked about MORE than enough. This board, and many others, is evident of that. But how it is talked about is another thing. Almost all discussion is negative discussion. That attitude does spread and could possibly effect consumer outlook on the product despite what it may actually be (which, in honesty, is not much to look at right now). The internet is viewed and more widespread than ever before in the year of 2013.

netBuff

I'd doubt it, Europe has always been a very strong territory for Nintendo.

The UK (which is a subset of europe) has always been a very poor territory for Nintendo however, outside of handhelds, before somebody starts posting chart track numbers.

Look at the sales threads: The Wii U isn't doing well in quite a few European countries, not just the UK. I don't see any evidence of much meaningful sales success for the system, even with retailers offering very significant price drops:

4x3Md.png

uey40.png

Anth0ny

All of those consoles were supply constrained when they launched with the exception of the ps3 lol

I don't believe Wii U is doomed, but these numbers have been disappointing so far. Consider the wasteland of Wii U games coming in the next 6 months... yeah. Not looking good. I can't see them hitting that 5.5 million units figure, shipped or sold.

Whose criteria are we supposed to use? That of Nintendo fans? Or that set by Nintendo themselves? 5.5 million sold by April I believe is their stated goal. Anything below that is a disappointment.

Whose criteria are we supposed to use? That of Nintendo fans? Or that set by Nintendo themselves? 5.5 million sold by April I believe is their stated goal. Anything below that is a disappointment.

Nonsense. I'm sure bdizzle can put together some figures to show where it should be at in April that renders Nintendo's own expecations moot.

Seriously people need to stop with the doomed stuff. It sold less in December but it's not a big deal, I mean December isn't even a huge month for shopping.

No way. I think the Wii U is talked about MORE than enough. This board, and many others, is evident of that. But how it is talked about is another thing. Almost all discussion is negative discussion. That attitude does spread and could possibly effect consumer outlook on the product despite what it may actually be (which, in honesty, is not much to look at right now). The internet is viewed and more widespread than ever before in the year of 2013.

my post was aimed at WiiU's response outside of forums, hence why i mentioned the mainstream audience.

it's obvious gaming forums are filled with posts about the WiiU.

Nerdstrom

Banned
i think the problem is pretty much every other console that sold as low as wii U did was supply constrained. they had demand. they were hot. Wii U is not. Anywhere in the world. Not Europe, Not US, Not Japan. On top of that there is no compelling software that has been announced. Cut the price, Show us some games. If they dont they'll be forced to sit out this gen or live with end of gen 360 ports for 2 years.

guek

Banned
360 was in huge demand and had shortages for a long time. Wii U has stacks of consoles at most stores still. It's not a comparable situation.

The only thing I wish people clinging to the stock situation would acknowledge is that failing to sell out doesn't necessarily indicate a complete failure and that a stock shortage doesn't completely make up for selling less than a competitor. While it's worth bringing up, nobody can really say how much better those sales would have been had they been as well stocked as the wii u.

quest

Not Banned from OT
How much cheaper was the PS2 than the 360? Consumers buy the lower-priced console.

That is not always true. The gamecube was 1/3 cheaper than the PS2 and still got killed. The N64 was 1/3 cheaper than the PS1 and still got outsold by a ton.

Juken

There isn't some perpetual cycle of "Nintendo is doomed!" haters being proven wrong. Nintendo's console business was in threat once after 3 generations of market share loss, and they were able to right the ship in dramatic fashion with the Wii.

lockload

Well there was a week before xmas when i though about getting one then i looked at all the games ive still got to play and looked at the report of expected nextgen hardware at the end of 2013 and changed my mind

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
No worries, after this I'm sure Nintendo will bounce back with a true hardcore game console that focuses purely on power with no gimmicks. They'll drop the goofy Wii branding too, and use a word that's appropriately edgy. But being Nintendo, they'll still try to make the package efficient so it covers all the bases.

Therefore I predict the next console will be named the Nintendo Doom.

The only thing I wish people clinging to the stock situation would acknowledge is that failing to sell out doesn't necessarily indicate a complete failure and that a stock shortage doesn't completely make up for selling less than a competitor. While it's worth bringing up, nobody can really say how much better those sales would have been had they been as well stocked as the wii u.

That's true, but the Wii U's numbers -- short of stock shortage -- aren't great. And there's stock readily available. That's why people bring it up. When one argues that it beat the 360, people argue shortages for the 360 because that fact casts doubt on how significant beating the 360 is to begin with.

daxgame

to be fair with them, there aren't any similarities in sales between the two (though I bet january and february will be quite hilarious, but later the usual Nintendo IPs will get it far from Vita)

Jeels

Ya, I really don't see the Wii U doing well at all until the big Nintendo franchises hit (3D Mario, Zelda, Smash). Even then, I don't see any excitement (anecdotal of course...) among my circle of gaming friends that I did with the Wii. Even among casuals, nobody is interested, or even knows what it is.

I was at a mall with gaming friends, they weren't Neogaf browsing types, but gaming was one of their main hobbies. We walked into Gamestop and they had the Wii U demo up. One was shocked and never heard of it, asking what the hell it was. Before I could bring up that it was Nintendo's new console, the other person said "ya, it's a tablet controller for the Wii". People still think its a peripheral. I didn't believe it when people on GAF were saying it but after experiencing it myself, its really disheartening.

Also, on a personal note, (acknowledging the costs associated with the controller) that a console released in late 2012 has the specs of consoles released in 2006 and can't seemingly match on the software/os side of things. It is a huge disservice to the consumer. Until they fix it, I really have no intention at all of purchasing this, it's a real regression in my opinion. Even then, I fear by the time its fixed it will already be lacking in terms of features by the time Sony and Microsoft's consoles hit. Despite all the trouble the Vita has, its such a speedy and easy to use OS, and very feature rich, at $250 (or less with those holiday bundles), that a $350 Wii U seems ridiculous to me.

Of course it is not doomed, but I think it will do relatively poorly.

BillyBats

Banned
What's this? A rational thread about the Wii U? Am I still on GAF?

Rational? The OP is using 7 year old numbers to justify the, pretty shitty, current numbers of the Wii U.

Nintendo isn't going out of business or any such nonsense, but if I was a big fan of the company, I would be a bit worried about the direction the company is going. Where are the games? What are the games? When are the games? "They're coming." doesn't inspire any confidence. You know MS and Sony will have game announcements lined up for the next year after E3. Nintendo continues to float on with this strange policy of not announcing games??!! People buy the console to play games. No games, no sales. How can anyone expect it to get better, at this point in time, with nothing coming? XBox and Sony 7 years ago had solid announcements and pretty firm release dates for upcoming games. Nintendo has fans saying "What are you all dumb, of course they are making these games!!!" while Nintendo themselves say nothing.

Look at the sales threads: The Wii U isn't doing well in quite a few European countries, not just the UK. I don't see any evidence of much meaningful sales success for the system, even with retailers offering very significant price drops:

Time will prove one of us right.

I think that there are globally different conditions for a console launch today than there were previously, and it remains to be seen if the WiiU is an underachiever at an objective level, or if it is achieving what should be the expectations for a new console release in current socio-economic conditions.

There'll be a better indicator of that when other gaming specific hardware launches, presumably later this year.

Malvingt2

Rational? The OP is using 7 year old numbers to justify the, pretty shitty, current numbers of the Wii U.

Nintendo isn't going out of business or any such nonsense, but if I was a big fan of the company, I would be a bit worried about the direction the company is going. Where are the games? What are the games? When are the games? "They're coming." doesn't inspire any confidence. You know MS and Sony will have game announcements lined up for the next year after E3. Nintendo continues to float on with this strange policy of not announcing games??!! People buy the console to play games. No games, no sales. How can anyone expect it to get better, at this point in time, with nothing coming? XBox and Sony 7 years ago had solid announcements and pretty firm release dates for upcoming games. Nintendo has fans saying "What are you all dumb, of course they are making these games!!!" while Nintendo themselves say nothing.
So we have the data and we can't compare? ok....

Ok, can actually get some links to this huge Gaf Nintendo hate force that is calling Nintendo doomed? Or even saying the Wii U is dead or doomed? Because I still see people trying to fight the DOOMED boogeyman that doesn't exist.

Top Bottom