• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U sales in Japan surpass PS3, Vita, and Xbox 360 this week. (1500% increase)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdsfx

I sold my Wii U a month after launch due to a lack of first-party titles. I hope to pick it ip again if the library expands with more than just multi-platform games.

People probably realize that the Wii U is the best value out of the next-gen consoles. Cheaper, stronger library, and a year ahead of all the pixel counting and fanboy yammering.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
It wasn't really unexpected because its sales had been plummeting to unseen lows in the weeks leading up to the bundles' release. Obviously people were actively holding out on buying a Wii U. This week was more like catching up with lost sales from previous weeks than suddenly taking a big leap.

Ehh..sales were insanely low, but they were insanely low before the bundle was announced- down to 5-6K anyways.

schuelma

21st November. 11 days. Early store rankings and that kind of anecdotal stuff is painting a worryingly low picture but we'll see if Nintendo's marketing campaign can ramp things way up.

Many are preparing themselves for the lowest selling 3D Mario.

The worrying sign is comgnet- less than 2 weeks before release and it isn't even charting. It's not an exact indicator, but if it doesn't pick up shortly we probably are looking at a bad first week.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
The worrying sign is comgnet- less than 2 weeks before release and it isn't even charting. It's not an exact indicator, but if it doesn't pick up shortly we probably are looking at a bad first week.

Yeah, been following that. Still not on there today. I have no idea whats going on with it, and while there may be some truth to the "its something people dont preorder and just turn up and grab" side of things, for it to STILL be a total no show is highly alarming.

I assume those japanese commercials posted the other day actually broadcasted? This is a level of 3D Mario apathy I don't think we've ever seen. Has franchise fatigue really had this damaging effect for such a key title?

Neff

With the exception of the Monster Hunter port, third parties have seen almost exclusively bad sales on the Wii U in Japan. I doubt you will see much of an increase in support this coming year.

3rd party interest is only motivated by install bases and attach rates, which are both rather poor for Wii U at the moment, and the solution to those problems are solely in Nintendo's hands, but they do appear to be taking good steps.

Wii U 3rd party aversion also hinges on other markets providing greener pastures, and there's nothing to indicate that they'll offer more or less of a risk in the future. There is very little that's static about the games industry right now.

Tuck

Wii U sales always go up when there is a big release, but then fall back down the next week. *Hopefully* this momentum keeps up, but I'm not sure that it will, unfortunately.

Elios83

A single good week because of bundles announced much earlier with pent up demand doesn't mean anything.
We have to see how the system will perform in the next few weeks.

plainr_

Where's that coffin gif?

EDIT
iVTT7iHZ0KMgK.gif

lololol. Ballmer's face is the star of this gif.

Err... there's a weekly Media Create thread.
"According to industry tracker NPD, the Xbox 360 sold 326,000 units in its first two weeks on sale in North America in 2005. The PlayStation 3 sold 197,000 in the last two weeks of November 2006, after launching at prices starting at $500."
The 360 was on the market for 5 days of the November 2005 NPD tracking period. The PS3 was on the market for 9 days.

Err... there's a weekly Media Create thread.The 360 was on the market for 5 days of the November 2005 NPD tracking period. The PS3 was on the market for 9 days.

Any idea what bluray movie release came out that week too? I imagine some people who bought a PS3 did so because at the time bluray players were even more expensive.

While I'm happy for Nintendo, I'll never understand what makes Japanese people happy. Even being connected to the rest of the world via internet they are still millions of miles away from everyone else. I'm mean, their interests are nothing like ours! Fascinating to say the least.

Darryl

Banned
wasn't this known in the media create thread last week ? Hy a new thread no, im a missing something? Numbers get revised?

not everyone checks out those media create threads!

Celebrating a one week bump in sales highlights just how bad the system is doing. How will it sell next week or in two months?

its probably gonna do fine. there's very little competition from other new hotnesses. there's a holiday coming up. a new mario, wii sports, and wii fit which the japanese love as well. gonna take till jan for it to start crawling back into the crypt

kswiston

You'd be suprised how many people deny this...

It could just be a difference in opinion on what constitutes a system seller. If your definition of a system seller is a piece of software that is responsible for moving millions of systems, than those are rare. Wii Sports, Super Mario Bros, Mario 64 and the Original Halo (in the US) make for good examples. If a system seller is any game that causes a noticeable spike in system sales for a week, than sure, there are plenty of those.

Also, the bundles with Wii Party also included New Super Mario Bros Wii (and Wii Fit U in some cases). Considering how few Wii Party's sold to people who had already purchased a Wii U, I think this is more of a case of the overall bundle being attractive than Wii Party itself being a system seller.

Melrochian

Neo Member
I just hope Super Mario 3D World will double these sales, then Nintendo will be building a nice momentum to next year's megaton (Mario Kart, X, DK and of course Smash)

Darksol

People probably realize that the Wii U is the best value out of the next-gen consoles. Cheaper, stronger library, and a year ahead of all the pixel counting and fanboy yammering.

Eh...

Will you reconsider that statement once both Sony and MS outsell the lifetime Wii U sales in the first six to twelve months they're on the market?

It could just be a difference in opinion on what constitutes a system seller. If your definition of a system seller is a piece of software that is responsible for moving millions of systems, than those are rare. Wii Sports, Super Mario Bros, Mario 64 and the Original Halo (in the US) make for good examples. If a system seller is any game that causes a noticeable spike in system sales for a week, than sure, there are plenty of those.

Also, the bundles with Wii Party also included New Super Mario Bros Wii (and Wii Fit U in some cases). Considering how few Wii Party's sold to people who had already purchased a Wii U, I think this is more of a case of the overall bundle being attractive than Wii Party itself being a system seller.

Another good example is the original Donkey Kong Country.

I agree on the Wii Part U note, though the game is really fun.

Wynnebeck

Banned

Yeah, that cold snap in Japan might have kept people indoors and lessened sales for the week.

schuelma

Eh...

Will you reconsider that statement once both Sony and MS outsell the lifetime Wii U sales in the first six to twelve months they're on the market?

I think you are being extremely optimistic with Xbone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom