• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread 2: Can't take anymore of this!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If its a current gen engine would have to assume some degree of incompetence on Nintendos part then. We know Cryengine works pretty well from what Crytek says so that really only leaves 2 other engine possibilities UE and frostbite.

UE3 is running on hardware half as powerful as current gen machines so if its that Nintendo screwed up somewhere

IIRC Gearbox have Alien: Colonial Marines running on it...so it has to be Frostbite 2.0, right?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Really? Lherre only said it was a current engine. He didn't say FPS or the resolution it runs at.

lherre said:
and the results aren't very optimistic-good right now with simple demos (in V5 kits they have only a minor improve in framerate). It can be optimization of course but right now it is far from the step I want from a new generation.

That doesn't sound promising to me at all.

NateDrake

If its a current gen engine would have to assume some degree of incompetence on Nintendos part then. We know Cryengine works pretty well from what Crytek says so that really only leaves 2 other engine possibilities UE and frostbite.

UE3 is running on hardware half as powerful as current gen machines so if its that Nintendo screwed up somewhere

My guess is Frostbite 2.0. After that Dice dev ranted last yr around E3 about Wii U specs not being high enough to what he wanted.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
No he doesn't, at no point does he say anything about the engine struggling to run. He says the results aren't what he wants from a next gen console, that's all. You're reading in/assuming the rest.

He specifically says they "aren't very optimistic" or "good."

Sorry, that's not assuming anything.

I don't understand why lherre is willing to give us that information but draws the line at specifying what the engine was. Like that last step is what would prompt Iwata to send out the ninjas

Azure J

Thanks to share this info, and yes V5 (well they have another code name) kits exist (only in Nintendo headquarters I think). Although I don't think they will have big changes.

I think 5x is too optimistic (at least now) in my opinion. I saw some performance data of a very famous engine running on Wii U and the results aren't very optimistic-good right now with simple demos (in V5 kits they have only a minor improve in framerate). It can be optimization of course but right now it is far from the step I want from a new generation.

But we will see this next months and the things in the gdc.

This is the single strangest thing to quantify in any meaningful manner for me. Fuck this, I'm doing straight gameplay idea conceptualizing now. :lol

Plinko

Yes? When he says "not optimistic" and not "good" I'm not sure how else you could take that.

I get that it isn't up to his standards as to a "generational leap," but he's talking about a current-gen engine and DOES infer that it isn't up to par.

Donnie

He specifically says they "aren't very optimistic" or "good."

Sorry, that's not assuming anything.

What does that mean though?? How on earth can you take a comment like "the results aren't optimistic/good" and assume that means something specific in comparison to 360 or PS3? To take anything specific from those comments you absolutely have to make assumptions, that's a fact, because there's no context there to define what he means specifically.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Yes? When he says "not optimistic" and not "good" I'm not sure how else you could take that.

I get that it isn't up to his standards as to a "generational leap," but he's talking about a current-gen engine and DOES infer that it isn't up to par.
Yes, up to par with his expectations for a next gen hw (from his own wording). And you draw what conclusions from that - that the hw is struggling to run it?

Donnie

Right so Lherre saw a current gen engine running WiiU and in currently the results aren't what he wants to see from next gen. How does that equal "WiiU can't run current gen engine". Honestly, its truley amazing :)

If Lherre actually says that then fine, but the way people are jumping to conclusions here is bizarre.

But it goes back to what I said earlier. Does this simple demo run at 1080p/10, 720p/20, sub-720p/30+?

There's a big hole in the info he gave, and he may not be able to say what it is publicly.

Plinko

Yes, up to par with his expectations for a next gen hw (from his own wording). And you draw what conclusions from that - that the hw is struggling to run it?

He specifically states that it isn't "good" and that the new devkits only did a minor increase in framerate. He specifically mentions the framerate. I don't know how anybody could take that as a good thing.

Only a "slight" framerate bump over current gen consoles? With the same settings? If so, I have to say that's disappointing. How is that even possible? We need more. How many frames are we talking here?

NateDrake

Right so Lherre saw a current gen engine running WiiU and in currently the results aren't what he wants to see from next gen. How does that equal "WiiU can't run current gen engine". Honestly, its truley amazing :)

If Lherre actually says that then fine, but the way people are jumping to conclusions here is bizarre.

I took his statement to mean that Wii U is running the engine better but not as great as he thought. Example being: Frostbite 2.0 not at PC levels, but closer to current gen consoles.

Nibel

It's probably gamebryo or whatever they call bethesdas engine now, that thing runs like shit on everything :p

Well, if it's that crappy "new" Gamebyro engine..

OQM5B.png

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Only a "slight" framerate bump over current gen consoles? With the same settings? If so, I have to say that's disappointing. How is that even possible? We need more. How many frames are we talking here?

Three, er no, four frames will do it.

My problem is that his claim contradicts itself. He says that the V5 dev kit is only in Nintendo's hands, but V5 can't run a current generation engine very well. How does he know this?
It confuses me. (but again, I don't know who his sources are or if he works with Nintendo in some way or form.)

antonz

It's too soon to compare, I won't say 2x or 5x or a number sorry. I only saw that a current engine is not optimze yet for the machine but I think they will improve it and will run like all of us want to see (or at least I hope)

Maybe you know the answer. Was this shooting for 720P or was Nintendo aiming for 1080P?

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
He specifically states that it isn't "good" and that the new devkits only did a minor increase in framerate. He specifically mentions the framerate.
For the Nth time - he also specifically mentions that the result is not what he'd expect from a next gen hw. How you draw a conclusion from there that the hw 'struggles to run it' is beyond me.

I don't know how anybody could take that as a good thing.
Beats me - I did not take it as a good thing. I was just amazed at your interpretation of his post.

Instro

I'm guessing the engine he is talking about would either be CryEngine 3 or Frostbite 2, as those are really the only 2 engines that scale up a large amount from current consoles to high powered computers.

My problem is that his claim contradicts itself. He says that the V5 dev kit is only in Nintendo's hands, but V5 can't run a current generation engine very well. How does he know this?
It confuses me. (but again, I don't know who his sources are or if he works with Nintendo in some way or form.)

Lherre is a confirmed dev, and he has direct access to kits.

It could have been a simple typing mistake on his part.

Donnie

You could take it to mean what he actually said and not what you infer into his comment.

It being a current gen engine is utterly irrelevant. Current gen engines can run from low end graphics fidelity on mobile phones to higher fidelity at 720p on 360/PS3 to even higher and any res you want on a PC. If you tried to run a current gen engine like UE3 with its highest settings at 1080p on the 360 you'd get worse than "not optimistic". But that same engine runs fine on a Iphone. By your logic the conclusion to take from that is that 360 can't run an engine that Iphone can run..

Look I get that people are on a knife edge here and his comments are disappointing because we only want to here good things. But its absolutely faulty logic to take his comments to mean that WiiU isn't even running a current gen engine as well as current gen consoles..

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I'm guessing the engine he is talking about would either be CryEngine 3 or Frostbite 2, as those are really the only 2 engines that scale up a large amount from current consoles to high powered computers.

I'm thinking Unreal Engine 3.

royalan

Llerre, would it be possible for you to clarify exactly what you expect out of Nintendo next gen? I think that would help people apply context to you statements.

For example, when you say Wii U isn't performing in a way that you expect from next gen, is that in relation to what most people are expecting out of Sony and Microsoft (in which case most people already figured Wii U wouldn't be as powerful)? Or are you implying that Wii U isn't performing up to even the most modest speculation of its alleged hardware?

Donnie

It's too soon to compare, I won't say 2x or 5x or a number sorry. I only saw that a current engine is not optimze yet for the machine but I think they will improve it and will run like all of us want to see (or at least I hope)

My question is more about what you're referring to. Because Ideaman didn't say the system is 4-5 times as powerful. He said a single component in there is.

Also could you be clear on how the engine was running. Was it running worse than it does on 360/PS3 with the same settings/resolution?

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Shots fired. Boom!
Video Output: Supports 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p and 480i. Compatible cables include HDMI, component, S-video and composite.
Considering the system by E3 2011 had support for interlaced resolutions, I wonder if we will see some games of that designation as well. For what purpose I don't know though.

Donnie

Dear me, this is the thread of misinterpretations :)

AFAIR he said that the new V5 kit is giving slightly better framerates then the V4 kit. Nothing about a comparison to current consoles.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
What I want to know is if games looking as detailed as the Bird Demo are doable?

This. I'm just going wait until everything is revealed. Some take these leaks and base it on how powerful wiiu will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom