• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread of Brains Beware: Wii U Re-Unveiling At E3 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deguello

sphinx said:
I am aware of the threads about the topic but I'd really like to learn how did you come to the conclusion that there is any real probability that SK is working on ED2.

No way on earth

Well they said they were working on their most requested sequel or something.

Since nobody is jonesing for a new Too Human or another X-men game, that leaves Legacy of Kain or Eternal Darkness 2. IT's a 50/50 shot, really.

Luigiv said:
Fixed your list. Took out the projects no one (in their right mind) would want Retro Studio to do, Kid Icarus which just isn't going to happen (given Sora is already in charge of reviving the series) and added a couple other projects that could realistically be described as highly asked for.
Why wouldn't anyone want them to do a 3D Donkey Kong platformer? I'd love to see a 3D DK game that WASN'T one of the worst games of all time.

AniHawk

[Nintex] said:
F-Zero will possibly hit launch as part of their 'reviving old franchises' campaign. New Super Mario Bros. Mii will certainly make the cut along with Wii U Fit, Wii U Sports and all that. Smash Bros. is a 2013 title if Sakurai starts working on it after Kid Icarus is finished. Good Feel's next title will likely hit Wii or 3DS, not sure but it's rumored that they're working on a Yoshi title and that seems possible. Looking at the controller Nintendo will probably develop another Luigi's Mansion game using the controller to 'scan' for the ghosts on-screen.

if sakurai took closer to four years to make kid icarus, i wouldn't expect smash bros. wii u/3ds anytime soon.

the way i see it:

2012 (launch): monster game, pack-in title (mario/wii u paint), nsmb mii
2013: retro title, pikmin 3, ead tokyo game
2014: mario kart, zelda, monolithsoft game
2015: smash bros. wii u/3ds, animal crossing
2016: sonic and mario generations (by ead tokyo and sonic team for sonic's 25th anniversary and 'jumpman's' 35th), another retro game if the studio isn't closed by then

Luigiv

nincompoop said:
Why wouldn't anyone want them to do a 3D Donkey Kong platformer? I'd love to see a 3D DK game that WASN'T one of the worst games of all time.
Well no one is asking for it. Those who do want Retro to stick with Donkey Kong want a direct sequel to DKCR not a 3D Donkey Kong.

Luigiv said:
Well no one is asking for it. Those who do want Retro to stick with Donkey Kong want a direct sequel to DKCR not a 3D Donkey Kong.
So because people want/expect them to do another 2D DK game, that means nobody would be happy if they made a 3D game instead? I'm not sure how you came up with that logic. I've never heard of anyone asking for them to make an F-Zero or Star Fox sequel, either.

Caramello

[Nintex] said:
F-Zero would be done by EAD I think. Shikamaru Ninja speculated about that before.

As for Retro Studios, my guesses are Star Fox(maybe working together with Cuthbert), Metroid in HD or Donkey Kong Country Returns 2. Eternal Darkness 2 is probably what Dyack and his skeleton crew are working on so little risk there and it's not something they want to put Retro Studios on. Monster Games is probably working on another racing game maybe has something to do with that partnership with a car manufacturer Nintendo is going to announce.

F-Zero will possibly hit launch as part of their 'reviving old franchises' campaign. New Super Mario Bros. Mii will certainly make the cut along with Wii U Fit, Wii U Sports and all that. Smash Bros. is a 2013 title if Sakurai starts working on it after Kid Icarus is finished. Good Feel's next title will likely hit Wii or 3DS, not sure but it's rumored that they're working on a Yoshi title and that seems possible. Looking at the controller Nintendo will probably develop another Luigi's Mansion game using the controller to 'scan' for the ghosts on-screen.

KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

I'm pretty confident it won't hit until holiday 2014.. It's going to take more than two years to finish especially considering a 3DS version is also coming and a new engine is probably needed.

I think Nintendo will focus its development efforts on trying to court the average Wii owner to their system and perhaps try to get casual players who only play on their iPhones over to the system. I really hope that they can secure an exclusive title that can attract the PS3/360 audience (of Call of Duty/Halo/Gears/Uncharted/Skyrim/Assassins Creed caliber) either from a third party partner or from Retro Studios OR BOTH!

People won't buy a system to play games they can play on the system they already own.

Luigiv

nincompoop said:
So because people want/expect them to do another 2D DK game, that means nobody would be happy if they made a 3D game instead? I'm not sure how you came up with that logic. I've never heard of anyone asking for them to make an F-Zero or Star Fox sequel, either.
Well Sirius based his list off this rumoured quote:

"a project everyone wants us to do"

I've never heard anyone ask for a 3D Donkey Kong but I have heard quite a few cries of for Retro to resurrect Star Fox or F-Zero, so I figured they could stay. Now that I think of it, people are also asking for that rumoured to be cancelled Zelda spinoff so I guess that could be added to the list too.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
[Nintex] said:
F-Zero would be done by EAD I think. Shikamaru Ninja speculated about that before.

As for Retro Studios, my guesses are Star Fox(maybe working together with Cuthbert), Metroid in HD or Donkey Kong Country Returns 2. Eternal Darkness 2 is probably what Dyack and his skeleton crew are working on so little risk there and it's not something they want to put Retro Studios on. Monster Games is probably working on another racing game maybe has something to do with that partnership with a car manufacturer Nintendo is going to announce.

Wait, what? Nintendo is making a racing game with licensed cars? This is news to me. Please give us more details. I'd love to see another Excite Truck either way, but I'm especially curious about partnership.

wsippel

Banned
[Nintex] said:
Monster Games is probably working on another racing game maybe has something to do with that partnership with a car manufacturer Nintendo is going to announce.
Isn't that partner West Coast Customs? It's probably just some Mario Kart PR thing.

JGS

Banned
MDX said:
Except Nintendo is not going to sell the WiiU for $250
Thats crazy.

The 360 and PS3 have both established the paradigm that
powerful consoles sell at: $299 & 399 (360) , $499 and 599 (PS3)
And Nintendo established that an SD console can sell for $249

WiiU is a modern HD system. If it wants to be taken seriously,
it will be priced between $299 and 399.
Probably 350 because Nintendo saw they could have still sold the Wii at $300-350.
I think Nintendo prices based on demand and not whether a console is SD or HD. The public in the beginning did not concern themselves with HD. They liked the controls. If anything, 360's recent success is tied directly to offering a product that is in demand for the public - a Wii like HD console.

MDX said:
What did Nintendo learn from the 3DS?
The price was not the problem!
The 3DS launch broke records.
Sales slowed down because promised features and
Nintendo software were not readily available.
This is also a case of pricing by demand. Unfortunately, this time around they listened primarily to gamers to gauge that demand. They bought the system but the public didn't at first. My guess is the price was too optimistic, something Nintendo confessed to.

MDX said:
So if MS goes with $399 again, and Nintendo with $350, the differences between the two are negligible. And we know that Nintendo will not include a HD, and MS probably will.
That brings the specs even closer. Unless MS will sell at a loss again, there is not way their new system will blow the WiiU out the water.
Marketing wise, Nintendo has a perception problem that is tied to their systems. To overcome this, they really need to have a bigger price difference than 50 bucks unless their system is actually more powerful or on par with the next gen.

WiiU is probably going to be my first launch console purchase assuming the price is right. I really can't wait for this one.

m.i.s.

Banned
MDX said:
Thats crazy.

Probably 350 because Nintendo saw they could have still sold the Wii at $300-350.

They were forced to reduce the price to gain publisher confidence
who probably were worried about the exclusive deals they had made with them.

So, this is why Nintendo said, they must have a major franchise available for launch.
And thats why, knowing how long it will take them to polish their games, they will delay their launch till the end of 2012 and price their console in the 300 range.

So if MS goes with $399 again, and Nintendo with $350, the differences between the two are negligible. And we know that Nintendo will not include a HD, and MS probably will.
That brings the specs even closer. Unless MS will sell at a loss again, there is not way their new system will blow the WiiU out the water.

That's quite some revisionist history.

The only paradigm Sony established with a $599 price tag was how to blow your entire market dominance and profitability from the combined profits of the Playstation and Playstation 2 era. That's quite some paradigm.

Nintendo will have to consider the price pressure of a, likely, $199 PS3 and 360 by the time Wii U rolls out at the end of 2012.

RPGamer92

Banned
wsippel said:
I'm still quite sure we're looking at $349. Would have been $399 if it weren't for the weak 3DS launch.
Nah, I agree with the $250 price. The 3DS taught Nintendo that brand name isn't what sells a system. Plus who would buy a $350 system when there will be $250 and maybe $200 when Wii U comes out?

eastmen said:
Nintendo is bundling a large touch screen device with every system. So not only will nintendo be a year out but they will also have a piece of hardware that doesn't exist for the othre players. Even if Sony includes move and MS includes kinect in the next generation the costs will be much lower than they will be for the tablet controller Nintendo is using. I also doubt with the sucess MS is having selling add in kinnects that they are een going to bundle it. They will most likely just drop it to $100 and expect the 10M + users to just carry them over from the 360 .

If nintendo wants to with a $250 system in 2012 with a touch screen controller. Lets say the touch screen controller is $50 to make . We know the 360 controller is $15. So if MS goes with a $400 system this gen again then the total hardware spend can be up to $375 while Nintendo may only be able to spend $200 (after the cost of the touch controller is factored in ) and a year earlier at $200 vs a year later at $375 can cause a major diffrence in hardware power , esp if nintendo gets caught on the wrong side of a micron process. If nintendo is hitting 32/28nm for launch in 2012 and MS can get on 22nm + $175 in price the diffrence will be vast.

Kinect is $56 in parts (retails for $150), and they will definitely upgrade it for the next Xbox.
http://www.1up.com/news/kinect-parts-cost-estimated-56-dollars

Proelite

I expecting the Wii-U to have a 5770 level GPU in the new redesign. This should put the total TFLOPs of the box at around 1.5 teraflops. Sony / MS would be hard pushed to come up with a box better than 5 teraflops in 2012/2013. This will translate into pretty comparable looking games across the platforms, at least to casual looking to buy the systems. If Nintendo goes for 720p 30fps on most titles, then the difference would be negligible.

Chopper

Apparently, you wouldn't believe how expensive the controllers are. If anything is bringing that price up, it's the controller(s?), not the console.

Chopper said:
Apparently, you wouldn't believe how expensive the controllers are. If anything is bringing that price up, it's the controller(s?), not the console.

It's a classic con with an LCD screen...
How expensive can it be?!

AzaK

PSFan said:
Nah, I agree with the $250 price. The 3DS taught Nintendo that brand name isn't what sells a system. Plus who would buy a $350 system when there will be $250 and maybe $200 when Wii U comes out?
But the 3ds, to the average consumer, is just a DS with a gimmicky 3D feature that no one in the mainstream really cares about. The Wii U is pretty damned different to any gaming console we have had before due to the controller. Therefore it has some very unique and strong marketing potential. Just like Wii.

I guess it depends if Nintendo feel confident enough to out market the 360 with its growing casual appeal. I'm calling US$350 myself if only for it being a 'new console' price. Too close to the 360/PS3 and that won't feel different enough.

Chopper

AceBandage said:
That's what I thought. But he was emphatic about this, and suggested it would be a big problem. Nintendo either packages two screens, and the SKU is silly expensive. Or they retail seperately at a silly price and no-one will develop two-pad multiplayer games.

Snakeyes

Chopper said:
That's what I thought. But he was emphatic about this, and suggested it would be a big problem. Nintendo either packages two screens, and the SKU is silly expensive. Or they retail seperately at a silly price and no-one will develop two-pad multiplayer games.

Did they redesign the screen a bit? Cause I don't see how a plastic controller with a sub HD screen could be very expensive.

They could always package a pad with a game a la Wii Play.

Chopper said:
Maybe they should do a silly expensive SKU/bundle that has two controllers. It's not like there's much danger that those won't sell out.

BurntPork

Banned
Chopper said:
He must have been exaggerating and assumed a margin similar to that of the Wii Remote. There are $100 tablets on the market. Unless Nintendo has decided to allow the controller to act as a stand-alone or the wireless streaming function uses some crazy chip that really isn't ready for mass-market use, not way it costs them more than $50 to make, meaning they could sell the controller for $80, MAYBE topping out at $100. If there are only two used per console, that wouldn't be a problem.

Did he suggest that the controller ate into the console's budget?

wsippel said:
I'm still quite sure we're looking at $349. Would have been $399 if it weren't for the weak 3DS launch.
The only way they can get away with pricing over $300 is if they bundle a unversally loved game, like NSMB3 rather than Wii ____ U. Which actually might not be a terrible idea.

Boney

Banned
MDX said:
Thats crazy.

They were forced to reduce the price to gain publisher confidence
who probably were worried about the exclusive deals they had made with them.

So, this is why Nintendo said, they must have a major franchise available for launch.
And thats why, knowing how long it will take them to polish their games, they will delay their launch till the end of 2012 and price their console in the 300 range.

my brain

MDX

AceBandage said:
Unless they are packing some serious heat in that thing, $350 is just insane.

So it OK for Sony and Microsoft to launch consoles in that price range but not Nintendo?
You must have little faith in Nintendo fans, and Nintendo's marketing capabilities.

Or are you assuming Nintendo does not plan to "pack heat" into the machine and sell it for a profit margin over $100??

MDX said:
So it OK for Sony and Microsoft to launch consoles in that price range but not Nintendo?
You must have little faith in Nintendo fans, and Nintendo's marketing capabilities.

Or are you assuming Nintendo does not plan to "pack heat" into the machine and sell it for a profit margin over $100??

I don't expect them to pack in enough to justify a $350-400 price, no.
In fact, I don't really expect any of the big three to do so.
The Wii has shown that cheaper consoles are the way to go.

MDX

Chopper said:

Well Miyamoto (?) did say the controller was expensive when somebody asked if the WiiU could handle more than one controller.

AceBandage said:
So what did the n64 and gamecube show? This has never been true. All that was shown this gen was that their is an upper limit to how much you can charge for a console and expect to sell it.

The market is different today than it was in 2005/2006. 3DS has just proven out how price sensitivity can cripple a system's launch, and that's the major (and expensive) lesson Nintendo's learned most recently. I'm sure they be watching Vita's launch closely to see how it sells with a $250-350 premium price.

Plus the fact most of their early 3rd party games are also going to be on $200 360s and PS3s means they really won't have the competitive luxury of pricing at $300+. Even at $299 I think they're pushing it, and should probably bundle NSMB to add value.

Caramello

AceBandage said:

Honestly Nintendo could have priced the Wii at $299.99 and made more profit. They may have sold a little less at launch but they would have come out far better off. Not only that but Iwata has warned that the console won't be cheap and as such I expect $299.99 will be the minimum price for the system at launch. I'd say they could go to $349.99 if there is a good E3 reception and they bundle a game.

After last E3, they would have to have an amazing showing that just blew everyone away for that to happen.
I know Nintendo loves to surprise us, but first impressions are hard to undo.

MDX

Boney said:

Some of you guys need to start paying closer attention
to what these execs are saying. Its pretty clear:

Mistakes were made with the launch of the new Nintendo 3DS handheld system earlier this spring, Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime says.

With an $80 price cut kicking in on Friday -- Amazon.com and Walmart have already cut the system price -- the game maker hopes to kick-start the system's fortunes.

"This is really about reinvigorating the Nintendo 3DS momentum and having that … power through all during the key holiday selling season," Fils-Aime said.

Among the lessons learned from the launch, Fils-Aime says, "We needed to have key franchises and stronger first-party titles."

Beyond that, Nintendo needed to have its digital shop in order with plenty of downloadable games in the eShop, a fully stocked video service, and Netflix availability, Fils-Aime said.

The eShop launched in June; video in July. "Certainly we've seen very positive reaction to the digital offerings but it needed to be much sooner in the launch window. As a result that created a situation where the momentum wasn't sustained.

Let me repeat that:

As a result that created a situation where the momentum wasn't sustained.

And that's why we have now had to go back and reduce the price and reduce the price by a large amount in order to make sure we have stronger momentum beginning on Friday and powering through," he says. "It's a situation where we weren't able to sustain those first few strong positive weeks. This is a momentum business and when you don't have the momentum it creates a tough situation whether it's with retailers or with third-party publishers who become a bit more reluctant to support a platform."

The price wasn't the problem, they couldn't sustain the value of the 3DS at that price without their key software in place. So interest dropped.
Once interest dropped, then price became an issue.

The Wii's killer app was their pack in game WiiSports.
People didnt need anything else.
Twilight Princess and Excitetruck wasnt the reason why the Wii was selling out.
And I really hope Nintendo doesn't think Zelda was selling the Wii.

The 3DS didnt have a killer app pushing their killer concept of 3D without glasses.
So I assume Nintendo knows it needs a killer app for the WiiU.
The question is, what will that be?

BurntPork

Banned
AceBandage said:
After last E3, they would have to have an amazing showing that just blew everyone away for that to happen.
I know Nintendo loves to surprise us, but first impressions are hard to undo.
The 3DS's price and launch line-up sure undid its first impression, though... just in a bad way. >:)

Yeah, Nintendo definitely would have been better off without the E3 announcement.

MDX

Caramello said:
Honestly Nintendo could have priced the Wii at $299.99 and made more profit. They may have sold a little less at launch but they would have come out far better off. Not only that but Iwata has warned that the console won't be cheap and as such I expect $299.99 will be the minimum price for the system at launch. I'd say they could go to $349.99 if there is a good E3 reception and they bundle a game.

Exactly.

Blame Sony and Microsoft for putting bleeding edge tech in their machines, selling them at a loss, just to gain market share. If it wasn't for the Wii, we would have came very close to another collapse in the game industry.

Its how the big boys play.
We have big retailers selling MW3 at a loss, just so the small game shops wont make profit on that title. This is how they get rid of the mom and pop shops.

Deguello said:
Well they said they were working on their most requested sequel or something.

Since nobody is jonesing for a new Too Human or another X-men game, that leaves Legacy of Kain or Eternal Darkness 2. IT's a 50/50 shot, really.

Is there a link for this comment?

Bear

AceBandage said:

It also has a gyroscope, IR, microphone, battery and Bluetooth. It's by far the most sophisticated standard controller in a market where the standard price is $50. A Wiimote and Nunchuck together cost $60 and have around half the inputs, no screen and no rechargeable battery.

A classic controller is dirt cheap because it's less sophisticated than the average controller and can't even operate on it's own. Comparing the expense of a Wii U controller to the CC is absurd.

Price was undeniably the biggest issue for 3DS, the price they were asking was just too high in today's marketplace and since the price correction we've seen momentum shift to precisly where it needed to be originally. Yes software and services weren't where they should've been early on, but if those were the core issues the turnaround would've started in earnest when they were beginning to be addressed in June, not in August with the price correction.

I'm glad the price discussion is still going because I was going to bring this up. Going back to the earlier rumor:

http://wii.ign.com/articles/116/1163362p1.html

According to sources with knowledge of the project, Nintendo's next console could have a retail price of anywhere between $350 and $400 based on manufacturing costs, and will ship from Taiwanese manufacturer, Foxconn, this October, putting the earliest possible retail release anywhere between mid-October and early November.

The reason I wanted to bring this up is that if true that BOM may or may not include the controller. If they are factoring it in they are definitely including it at cost which I'd assume could be $50. That would mean $300-$350 is going towards the console components. But if the controller isn't being factored into that, well you can definitely see why Iwata and co. are debating selling it at a loss.

Credit to Conker3000 on IGN boards for the find.

http://wiiugo.com/exclusive-ea-origin-to-be-a-key-element-of-nintendos-online-strategy/

Exclusive: EA Origin to be a key element of Nintendo’s online strategy?

We received a tip from an EA intern with some very interesting information pertaining to the Wii U’s online system. Our source, who wishes to remain anonymous, claims that her information comes from a network engineer whom she is friends with. As with all news from anonymous sources, it’s difficult to determine its authenticity. But what we received sounds plausible and even explains Peter Moore’s relentless excitement for the Wii U.

It’s no secret that EA are helping Nintendo develop the Wii U’s online service. It will allegedly offer voice- and video-chatting support, leaderboards, and detailed friend lists that tell you who’s online and what they’re playing. The service aims to offer greater flexibility to publishers than Xbox Live, and EA . From our source:

Many publishers are happy with Xbox Live’s features, but they aren’t happy with how strict Microsoft’s guidelines are. Nintendo went with an open flexible approach with online because when Nintendo asked developers/publishers what they wanted in an online service, that was the number one thing they asked for.

But interestingly, EA are supposedly in talks with Nintendo to try and make Origin, their digital games distribution platform, a key element of Nintendo’s online strategy, too. EA would have the chance to bring Origin to the console space and win many new users while Nintendo see it “as an opportunity to rebuild relationships with Western gamers because they feel that only a massive western company such as EA nderstands what is needed to make an online service attractive to western gamers.”

According to our source, EA isn’t the only company looking into bringing its digital distribution platform to the Wii U – Valve, too, are interested in getting Steam onto it. But EA are “aggressively persuading Nintendo to go Origins exclusive with Wii U’s online so they can gain a competitive advantage over Steam.”

Our informant doesn’t know how Origin on the Wii U will differ from Origin on the PC, if at all. But if these talks about making it a fundamental part of the Wii U are really happening, it’s no surprise that Peter Moore is one of the most enthused Wii U developers out there.

If true then someone needs to tell Nintendo to not let EA abuse that partnership.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom