• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread of Brains Beware: Wii U Re-Unveiling At E3 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Boney said:
I'm just gonna leave this here so we can all get a jolly good laugh

Originally Posted by BurntPork:
We're talking about sales, and GameCube was a commercial flop. If the DreamCast weren't killed off, even that would have beat the GameCube.
If you keep quoting him, it kind of defeats the purpose of my ignore list.

On Topic:
Here's the way I'm seeing this.
You buy a Wii U. You register with Nintendo - name, birthday, address, username, this gets added to a database that's linked to your console's serial number, and probably an account that can be transferred between systems. I think Nintendo's learned that lesson.

Once you're online with Nintendo, you can not only connect to the Nintendo E-shop channel, but also EA Origin, Steam, Ubi, Activision. There you can navigate an interface to shop for and purchase titles, and download them through whoever the publisher is. When you buy something there, they pass a token back to Nintendo to say that you're allowed to play such and such a title to their database, and publishing fee back to Nintendo. Nintendo doesn't have to maintain online servers except for the database in general where they track title ownership and whatever they use for their own online shop.

I suspect that each online shop will have it's own gotcha - the minor versions might be the opportunity to like to something like a steam account, and some of the dumber ones might include secondary registration. I also suspect that Nintendo will have terms that the publishers will have to follow - like that if they sell something to a user, it has to be made available to that user indefinitely. Things like that.

META:
Why are we all doing this instead of Super Mario 3D Land?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Jzero15 said:
Steam on the Wii U would be really awesome. It would give me just one more reason to buy it on day one.

Edit: Thought you said "Steam-only."

I just made a bet with my brother that if the Wii-U is 249.99 or less I'll get it day one and stop talking shit, lol. He was all saying that it's gonna launch cheap and I was all naw naw nintendo and dem margins and etc...

-Pyromaniac- said:
I just made a bet with my brother that if the Wii-U is 249.99 or less I'll get it day one and stop talking shit, lol. He was all saying that it's gonna launch cheap and I was all naw naw nintendo and dem margins and etc...

How did you get him into that kind of sucker bet? What will you get WHEN you win?

TunaLover

Maybe EA is making the main online structure, but it doesn't mean that it will called the same as Origin, it could be based on Origin but with Nintendo flavor interface, it doesn't mean either that it will be only for EA games.

Nintendo has made partnetships before like the Opera browser, but even this browser developed by an outsider company had Nintendo's like interface, and friendly features, it even was called Internet Channel, "Powered by Opera".

watershed

Banned
TunaLover said:
Maybe EA is making the main online structure, but it doesn't mean that it will called the same as Origin, it could be based on Origin but with Nintendo flavor interface, it doesn't mean either that it will be only for EA games.

Nintendo has made partnetships before like the Opera browser, but even this browser developed by an outsider company had Nintendo's like interface, and friendly features, it even was called Internet Channel, "Powered by Opera".
I could see something like this being true and it would be more of a collaboration then just borrowing a service. But I'm sure EA would still find some way to make it awful. They must benefit somehow or gain an edge over the competition in some way in order for them to be pushing like the article suggests. I'm sure Nintendo would pay them well but there must be something on the user front end that EA is after as well.

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
I really hope Gamecube games are availabe for downloaded purchase. It would be quite nice to be able to play some of those hard-to-come-by games like Tales of Symphonia or Starfox Adventures.

commonfate said:
I really hope Gamecube games are availabe for downloaded purchase. It would be quite nice to be able to play some of those hard-to-come-by games like Tales of Symphonia or Starfox Adventures.

still waiting for them hard-to-come-by N64 games

Kyzer

Banned
A generation to me is not defined by a quantifiable leap in specs, but simply by the release of a completely new iteration.

That being said, I actually think Nintendo is keeping a lot of Wii U's secrets up their sleeves, because they KNOW their competitors are watching, and they KNOW theyre going to try and undermine the success of their platform.

Jzero

Kyzer said:
A generation to me is not defined by a quantifiable leap in specs, but simply by the release of a completely new iteration.

That being said, I actually think Nintendo is keeping a lot of Wii U's secrets up their sleeves, because they KNOW their competitors are watching, and they KNOW theyre going to try and undermine the success of their platform.
Sony is going to end up copying them in some form haha

Gaborn

Jzero15 said:
Sony is going to end up copying them in some form haha

I FULLY expect both Sony and MS to have some form of tablet controls or a second screen for their next system, though Sony will probably lean towards pushing Vita compatibility. I think there are SO many enormous advantages the second screen gives you and creative devs have SHOWN us (as little as we've seen) for potential of the technology... it's either providing the capability or be considered to have the "lesser" version of multiplatform games.

royalan

Gaborn said:
I FULLY expect both Sony and MS to have some form of tablet controls or a second screen for their next system, though Sony will probably lean towards pushing Vita compatibility. I think there are SO many enormous advantages the second screen gives you and creative devs have SHOWN us (as little as we've seen) for potential of the technology... it's either providing the capability or be considered to have the "lesser" version of multiplatform games.

Actually, I'd be really surprised if Sony or MS put screen on their next console's controllers.

I mean, dual-screen gaming isn't exactly new. The DS has been doing it for years now. Don't see Sony (or any other tech company) rushing to incorporate dual screen functionality into the PSP. In fact, they're pretty confident without it.

Granted, that's just the handheld space, and I wouldn't be inherently against the idea of Sony or MS adding screens to their controllers (as long as it didn't substancially raise the cost), but I don't think dual screen gaming will have the same impact that motion controls did.

Gaborn

royalan said:
Actually, I'd be really surprised if Sony or MS put screen on their next console's controllers.

I mean, dual-screen gaming isn't exactly new. The DS has been doing it for years now. Don't see Sony (or any other tech company) rushing to incorporate dual screen functionality into the PSP. In fact, they're pretty confident without it.

Granted, that's just the handheld space, and I wouldn't be inherently against the idea of Sony or MS adding screens to their controllers (as long as it didn't substancially raise the cost), but I don't think dual screen gaming will have the same impact that motion controls did.

I think you're basically using the "motion control" argument, that motion controls weren't really proven to be a "necessity" so therefore there was no huge incentive to dive into it.

The problem is that as you say the Wii U is NOT the same as the DS. When you're talking about consoles having a parity of features is crucial. With motion controls it matters less because people dismissed it as a "gimmick" that "instead of pushing a button you do this."

I think the tablet is a completely and totally different issue. To me it's the difference between a console with a D-pad only and a console with analog sticks.

The screen showed in the ghost recon demo and in the killer freaks demo ways of playing that were COMPLETELY and totally impossible on other systems. It also showed a level of functionality on something as simple as inventory management that was more efficient and intuitive than anything done on consoles. The tablet looks like it SHOULD allow for definitive versions of games from Madden (draw your own plays!) to FPS (any inventory guns, interactive maps like they showed, if they want to give you a drone like in GC Online...) to any game with a hud that no longer needs to clutter screen real estate.

NOT having a second screen for any future gaming system is back sliding and makes "future" systems already behind the times.

BurntPork

Banned
Boney said:
i saw your posttttt

but don't worry i enjoy having a hearty laugh at your expense. Unlike other crazy posters like fernando that just were terribad
I don't care. Fuck you.

Fuck this forum. Nobody responds to me unless I piss them off anyway.

royalan

Gaborn said:
I think you're basically using the "motion control" argument, that motion controls weren't really proven to be a "necessity" so therefore there was no huge incentive to dive into it.

The problem is that as you say the Wii U is NOT the same as the DS. When you're talking about consoles having a parity of features is crucial. With motion controls it matters less because people dismissed it as a "gimmick" that "instead of pushing a button you do this."

I think the tablet is a completely and totally different issue. To me it's the difference between a console with a D-pad only and a console with analog sticks.

The screen showed in the ghost recon demo and in the killer freaks demo ways of playing that were COMPLETELY and totally impossible on other systems. It also showed a level of functionality on something as simple as inventory management that was more efficient and intuitive than anything done on consoles. The tablet looks like it SHOULD allow for definitive versions of games from Madden (draw your own plays!) to FPS (any inventory guns, interactive maps like they showed, if they want to give you a drone like in GC Online...) to any game with a hud that no longer needs to clutter screen real estate.

NOT having a second screen for any future gaming system is back sliding and makes "future" systems already behind the times.

I think you're putting a lot of faith into the success of the Wii U controller screen.

I personally think it'll play out in a similar to the DS: it'll be very useful in specific scenarios that benefit certain genres, but will be a shoddily implemented distraction in others. I can already think of certain game types where I wouldn't want to be bothered with having to look down at a secondary screen (fighters and any type of game that requires constant attention and quick reflexes)...and also genres where the possibilities could be endless (sports and rpgs).

Only time will tell though.

Gaborn

royalan said:
I think you're putting a lot of faith into the success of the Wii U controller screen.

I personally think it'll play out in a similar to the DS: it'll be very useful in specific scenarios that benefit certain genres, but will be a shoddily implemented distraction in others. I can already think of certain game types where I wouldn't want to be bothered with having to look down at a secondary screen (fighters and any type of game that requires constant attention and quick reflexes)...and also genres where the possibilities could be endless (sports and rpgs).

Only time will tell though.

I think like anything else some games will use it, and obviously, some games like fighters probably won't very much but I don't think that detracts from it, anymore than the fact that some games work better as a single player experience aren't really harmed by the fact that consoles can go online or have multiplayer capability.

What I have faith in though is what Ubisoft showed in their roundtable. Anybody who was not excited by that either didn't see it or just REALLY hates Ubisoft.

Even though there are some genres where the tablet probably won't be needed I think the majority of games WILL benefit in various ways from it and it will be a HUGE upset if Sony and Microsoft don't adopt similar capabilities.

Thunder Monkey - You're still a star to me!

BurntPork

Banned
Thunder Monkey said:
Burnt calm yo ass down.

I went from beloved gaf starlet to "Do I have to listen to this guy?"

Deal with it pork. It ain't gonna get better.
If I can't contribute to discussion no matter what i do or how I act, I'm just a distraction.

And of course there will be some games that benefit from it and some that don't. That's how it is for all control schemes. If the earlier comments about the expense of the controller are true, it's probably not practical enough to become an industry standard yet.

BurntPork said:
If I can't contribute to discussion no matter what i do or how I act, I'm just a distraction.

And of course there will be some games that benefit from it and some that don't. That's how it is for all control schemes. If the earlier comments about the expense of the controller are true, it's probably not practical enough to become an industry standard yet.
Being a distraction is fun if you do it right though.

:(

royalan said:

But they do have a dual screen tablet coming out...
sony-tablet-p.jpg

Jzero

BurntPork said:
I don't care. Fuck you.

Fuck this forum. Nobody responds to me unless I piss them off anyway.
Calm down dude not everyone is going to look at your posts, i know from experience ;_;
But there will be some people that actually appreciate your post.

Billychu said:
You're just trying to bait us into posting "u mad" aren't you? AREN'T YOU?

You just need to calm down, whenever I see you posting you're usually upset.
is saying that bannable or what?

Gaborn

BurntPork said:

I think it depends on how high end companies want the screen to be. I'm sure they can do a relatively simple screen for a reasonable price. You don't need the camera for example for games generally, you don't need it to be HUGE, and you won't need multi-touch.

Jzero15 said:
Calm down dude not everyone is going to look at your posts, i know from experience ;_;
But there will be some people that actually appreciate your post.

is saying that bannable or what?

Grey area. It can get you banned, depending on how you use it.

BurntPork

Banned
Zoramon089 said:
sony-tablet-p.jpg
Sony is a copying machine! This looks similar to at least two phones I can think of.

That said, I don't see Sony or MS putting a screen on the primary controller.

@Billy: When some asshole comes along to post an unrelated quote from another thread just to troll me, I have a right to be pissed.

royalan

Zoramon089 said:
sony-tablet-p.jpg

lol - is anyone expecting that to be successful at all?

And I meant more in the same vein as the DS - where one screen has different capabilities. Not exactly how it's implemented in that tablet - where the two screens serve the same purpose and are only meant to increase portability.

I think like anything else some games will use it, and obviously, some games like fighters probably won't very much but I don't think that detracts from it, anymore than the fact that some games work better as a single player experience aren't really harmed by the fact that consoles can go online or have multiplayer capability.

What I have faith in though is what Ubisoft showed in their roundtable. Anybody who was not excited by that either didn't see it or just REALLY hates Ubisoft.

Even though there are some genres where the tablet probably won't be needed I think the majority of games WILL benefit in various ways from it and it will be a HUGE upset if Sony and Microsoft don't adopt similar capabilities.

Thunder Monkey - You're still a star to me!

I see what you're saying, but I have to go with Burntpork on this one: I see the possible benefits, but I don't yet see if they'll be strong enough to make screens on controllers an industry standard in the same way that motion controls changed gaming in a very obvious way.

BurntPork

Banned
Gaborn said:
I think it depends on how high end companies want the screen to be. I'm sure they can do a relatively simple screen for a reasonable price. You don't need the camera for example for games generally, you don't need it to be HUGE, and you won't need multi-touch.
Cameras are super cheap, though. The only parts of the controller with really significant cost are the screen and whatever hardware is used for lag-free streaming.

It's really hard to say with this new controller. We haven't yet seen the software that Nintendo is going to use to push it.
I mean, even with Wii Sports, people still questioned motion controls when the Wii was revealed.

Boney

Banned
oh cmon it was just in jest and this thread was a place you'd surely see it since you're around here.

I gotta say that was probably your craziest prediction yet, so I thought it was hilarious.

Gaborn

BurntPork said:
Cameras are super cheap, though. The only parts of the controller with really significant cost are the screen and whatever hardware is used for lag-free streaming.

I would assume the touch screen isn't cheap that's true, but I'm not sure that it's SO cost prohibitive it's a barrier to adoption by companies. I'm sure they can get it cheap enough to make SOME profit.

Emitan

BurntPork said:
If Nintendo is using their own special wireless technology for the transmission they'd want to recoup costs on the controller. I have no idea how the controller works, though.

BurntPork

Banned
Personally, I think Nintendo should cut the screen size down to 5.2 or 5.5 inches. At the very least, it would cut the cost and silence the "EEEET'S SOOOOOOOOOOOOO BULK-EEE" crowd.

Deguello

BurntPork said:
Personally, I think Nintendo should cut the screen size down to 5.2 or 5.5 inches. At the very least, it would cut the cost and silence the "EEEET'S SOOOOOOOOOOOOO BULK-EEE" crowd.

Something tells me any concession will not silence people with such unreasonable concerns.

Jzero

BurntPork said:
if they do that then people will say "the screen is so small!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom