• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread The Third: Casting Dreams in The Castle of Miyamoto

Penguin

There's already 700 people working on epic mickey 2. Future call of duties and battlefields will just use 2000 employees for next xbox and game prices will be 80 dollars and xbox live is gonna be 70 dollars. All game endings will be DLC.

That's kind of what I expect. I can only imagine in the future games will have both a single player and multi/online pass. 10 bucks a piece if you don't buy new.

DLC will be necessary to get the complete package. And I imagine lots of games will incorporate the Skylander models with toys/figures/cards to supplement the experience.

We are going to see a LOT of ways to pay more than the asking price to get the entire experience.

In all seriousness though, it's clear that if ShockingAlberto's information is correct, it's obvious that Microsofts strategy is to alienate Nintendo as much as possible, while possibly forcing Sony into an uncomfortable position.

It might work out, but it might be their Sony moment. Sony got arrogant after the super successful PS2. Maybe this is MS growing arrogant all the same, but they do have deeper pockets.

Interesting times.

guek

Banned
There's already 700 people working on epic mickey 2. Future call of duties and battlefields will just use 2000 employees for next xbox and game prices will be 80 dollars and xbox live is gonna be 70 dollars. All game endings will be DLC.

It's going to be a goddamn tower of babel.

AniHawk

I wonder if some people here are actually interested in playing future Nintendo software, or just concerned were Nintendo falls in the marketshare standings.

beyond good & evil 2 is being made in a room by michel ancel and four guys. at this rate i won't see it until 2039.

mirror's edge 2 should be awesome at least, especially if dice is one of the companies pushing for this stuff.

Roo

Those games are not gonna disappear regardless of what ms does with their next console.
so the whole "PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DONT LET THIS BE TRUE!!!" posts are rather confusing.

It was a typo on my part. forgot the *not* in my post.

I am going the xbox/nintendo route this next gen, but I was worried Microsoft was going to follow Nintendo's success with profitable hardware at launch.

I really don't care how the WiiU stacks up to the competition. All I want from the WiiU is Nintendo's games in HD, and thankfully that is guaranteed.

Plus, I really want a new gaming console. My 360 has been broken for over a year and the Wii is pretty much dead. I'm ready to buy a new console, and luckily for Nintendo they're going to be the first out of the gate.

I wonder if some people here are actually interested in playing future Nintendo software, or just concerned were Nintendo falls in the marketshare standings.

I just care if the system will get the games or not. I've never not owned a Nintendo console, but lately, I feel burned knowing I can buy a system and not even be able to play most all multiplats. If Microsoft does go all out, I have a really bad feeling that Nintendo will be hung out to dry again, which, as a consumer, does not make me happy...

Its just annoying. I would much rather have an all in one console instead of having to buy Nintendo + Sony/MS every gen.

Basically this. Especially as a college student, I don't have all this extra money to be throwing around willy-nilly buying extra hardware/systems. It would be nice to have the peace of mind knowing I can play 3rd party multiplat games and Nintendo games.

Everyone should just look at the Wii-U as a Nintendo HD machine. Get a good PC for the all the other shit = you are the winner of the best of all worlds.

guek

Banned
3rd parties are going to kill themselves if they shoot for the moon. Consumers wont take it, especially not if we're talking $499 consoles and $70-80 games + $15 DLC. We're going to see 2-3 new IPs per year for the entire software lineup and all but maybe 1 of them will lose money. I hope you guys loved current gen games because we're going to be playing those same franchises for another 10 years.

Penguin

Those games are not gonna disappear regardless of what ms does with their next console.
so the whole "PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DONT LET THIS BE TRUE!!!" posts are rather confusing.

I think the problem is.. that it will kill off smaller developers/publishers.. as we've seen this generation.
And most likely would take those around, to make less risky games just because you can't afford not to sell.

I don't necessarily think its related to what happens with Nintendo and the Wii U, but what type of state it will actually leave the industry in.

Its just annoying. I would much rather have an all in one console instead of having to buy Nintendo + Sony/MS every gen.
I feel you son, I feels you. But that's life. Can't have it all. You can get the next xbox but then you can't get any nintendo hd games which will be mindblowing. You can get both, but then you gotta have 2 consoles and that's moneyy.

What sacrifice is more important to people. Everyone will give up something next-gen, except those that have everything.

Treasure is like...20-30 employees top. How do they even compete when the standard for retail games gets higher and higher every year? All they've done since 2009 is ports/remakes of old games, when they used to be able to do a new game every year.

The "don't let this be true" posts for the most part has nothing to do with Nintendo. It has to do with all the small-medium tier developers/publishers who will either inevitably go out of business or will solely be making games "indie" games on PC from now on.

Treasure is like...20-30 employees top. How do they even compete when the standard for retail games gets higher and higher every year? All they've done since 2009 is ports/remakes of old games, when they used to be able to do a new game every year.

I imagine they'll have to find room in the download space or work with publishers on niche titles (like Sin & Punishment/2).

I just care if the system will get the games or not. I've never not owned a Nintendo console, but lately, I feel burned knowing I can buy a system and not even be able to play most all multiplats. If Microsoft does go all out, I have a really bad feeling that Nintendo will be hung out to dry again, which, as a consumer, does not make me happy...

That's been happening for 3 generations now. If you have any interest on 3rd party games, you pretty much just can't own an Nintendo console only. Maybe things will change in the future, but it's been happening for over 15 years so I wouldn't hold my breath.

E3 will should be where you learn how worried you should be. We'll likely get confirmations on the engines it can run and whatnot, best case scenario the console gets downscaled ports of everything, worst case scenario 3rd parties say "lol nintendo" and ignore it (except the huge franchises of course like cod), but you still get nintendo hd games.

I think the problem is.. that it will kill off smaller developers/publishers.. as we've seen this generation.
And most likely would take those around, to make less risky games just because you can't afford not to sell.

I don't necessarily think its related to what happens with Nintendo and the Wii U, but what type of state it will actually leave the industry in.

no necessarily.

A lot of small/indy devs have been having a lot of success in the xbla/psn market. I can see a transition from smaller devs moving in that direction.

I would be more concerned with smaller devs going to mobile devices like android,iphone, wp7, etc. I mean, the dudes that developed that game draw something just got bought out by Zynga games for something like 240 million bucks....at one point, they were making a quarter mil a day from that game.

Oh no, I know Nintendo software is top notch and I'll buy the system no matter what
but I'm more concerned about third parties

Basically this.
I can see the opposite effect happen as well: most developers will not attempt to go all out on the 720 and will try to port their games to the WiiU, iPhone, 360, and ps3 to make more of a profit.

E3 will should be where you learn how worried you should be. We'll likely get confirmations on the engines it can run and whatnot, best case scenario the console gets downscaled ports of everything, worst case scenario 3rd parties say "lol nintendo" and ignore it (except the huge franchises of course like cod), but you still get nintendo hd games.

We won't even get a good idea bout how Wii U ports of 720/PS4 games will go this E3. There still won't be any details on them, so even if we learn everything about the Wii U we aren't going to have anything to compare it to.

Nintendo would do really well for themselves and play to their strengths if they went after iOS and small developers hard with the WiiU. Nintendo will never get big publishers to favor them over Sony and MS.

guek

Banned
maybe MS really will put out their equivalent of xboxtv and try to ride that wave until 2014, at which point Wii U will have a 20+ million installed base and a history of 3rd party multiplat support

We won't even get a good idea bout how Wii U ports of 720/PS4 games will go this E3. There still won't be any details on them, so even if we learn everything about the Wii U we aren't going to have anything to compare it to.
my point was by then developers will be allowed to talk (I would think) and they'll say whether what will scale where and whatever else. We should know a lot more about the Wii U and a lot more about next gen game engines after E3.

Then we can start analyzing a new.

That's been happening for 3 generations now. If you have any interest on 3rd party games, you pretty much just can't own an Nintendo console only. Maybe things will change in the future, but it's been happening for over 15 years so I wouldn't hold my breath.

I know it somewhat has, but for some reason, this gen seemed way worse, though maybe I didn't really notice it as much or care about it before when I was younger. Still, I had high hopes with Nintendo's expressed intent on trying to lure 3rd parties and their willingness to listen. I thought things would be different this generation, which would be quite nice. But, it seems more and more likely it won't.

Penguin

no necessarily.

A lot of small/indy devs have been having a lot of success in the xbla/psn market. I can see a transition from smaller devs moving in that direction.

I would be more concerned with smaller devs going to mobile devices like android,iphone, wp7, etc. I mean, the dudes that developed that game draw something just got bought out by Zynga games for something like 240 million bucks....at one point, they were making a quarter mil a day from that game.

Wait, I'm confused.. how is going mobile.. worse than going XBLA/PSN?

guek

Banned
What'll be depressingly hilarious is gaf is going to eat that shit up, and then whine incessantly when they sell like utter shit for the first 4-5 years. It's going to be a "vita deserves to succeed" round of nonsense all over again.

AzaK

They asked publishers and developers what they need in a next-gen system

EA, Activision, DICE, and Epic all insisted on raising the ceiling by what we would traditionally consider a generational leap.

Microsoft listened because they were told this would increase game sales and hardware adoption.

Ruh-Oh! Scoobydoo.gif

Everyone should just look at the Wii-U as a Nintendo HD machine. Get a good PC for the all the other shit = you are the winner of the best of all worlds.

No friggin way do I want another machine for just Nintendo games. If it looks like it's going to turn out like that I won't be getting a Nintendo console. I've been burnt with the Wii and I won't accept it again. From MY perspective Nintendo have to make a system thats graphically top notch, with massive core 3rd party support and a willingness to support their own platform as far as modern eshops, dlc, indy dev games and the like. I was a flourishing system, not a barren wasteland like the Wii was.

Nintendo have what might be up to 1 1/2 years before the next systems hit. They need to establish strong 3rd party sales in that time. They need to support and encourage 3rd parties to get on their system. Essentially, they need a massive base of users and a good portion of those to be core gamers before the new systems come out.

HylianTom

Banned

I've been doing just that for decades, and don't plan on stopping now. It's worked out quite nicely.

I see a number of posts indicating that folks are feeling dread for third parties. Not here. Let 'em shoot for the moon, and we'll see how they end-up doing.

blazing-saddles-355.jpg

Oh.. sorry: hrumph!

I don't think people should underestimate Nintendo's deep pockets either. 3rd parties talk a lot of shit, but when confronted with the almighty dollar, we know who wins.

If nintendo ever reaches the point where they go back into panic mode, we will win ten-fold.

Only for 1 generation. Gamecube got most multiplatform games of its generation, there just weren't many that generation because the PS2 dominated completely, and there were even fewer multiplatform games in the generation before that (the Saturn/PS1/N64 generation developers were still of the mindset that each platform got completely different games).

What'll be depressingly hilarious is gaf is going to eat that shit up, and then whine incessantly when they sell like utter shit for the first 4-5 years. It's going to be a "vita deserves to succeed" round of nonsense all over again.

I don't really want to predict how next gen will go just yet, but it already seems like history is repeating itself constantly, but then you never know. Either way i predict its gonna be hilarious to watch.

They asked publishers and developers what they need in a next-gen system

EA, Activision, DICE, and Epic all insisted on raising the ceiling by what we would traditionally consider a generational leap.

Microsoft listened because they were told this would increase game sales and hardware adoption.

Hmmm, interesting. I guess I shouldn't be shocked MS let themselves get trolled like that. So long to the gaming middle class. Nothing but indie devs and big-budget devs in our gaming future.

If Nintendo can get 10 million sales or so of the WiiU before the PS4 or 720 launches, then I'd say it'll be fine unless it's vastly weaker then the other two again or something. I don't see third parties completely betting against Nintendo this time, they don't want to get left out in the cold again like they did with the Wii.

AniHawk

i think any new console will have a hard time establishing itself.

Top Bottom