• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread The Third: Casting Dreams in The Castle of Miyamoto

Thraktor

Thanks for the analysis.
I would like to add this observation:
We really dont know yet what kind CPU will be in the final retail version of the WiiU.
Dev kits could have used modified 360 CPUs for all we know.

Also, I found it interesting that IBM was more forthcoming about their CPU than AMD was about their GPU during E3. Did that mean the CPU was ready before the GPU? Did it mean the CPU will have more of a significant role to play than normal? Or did it mean that Nintendo was more concerned about spilling info about the GPU than the CPU?

My guess is that the CPU was probably ready before the GPU, but I'd say that the difference was mainly due to the corporate culture of the two companies. AMD tends to reveal very little about their products until they're very close to being on shelves. IBM, by contrast, publishes very detailed information on most of their hardware before it's even released, and they even have their own journal for that very purpose (which, incidentally, is a great repository for anyone looking to speculate further about the Wii U's CPU, as it shows what sort of tech IBM have developed that could go into it).

OK... but what's in it for EPIC? Surely they make more money getting as many licensees as possible... and covering more formats is one way to achieve this.

Additionally, porting from UE4 to UE3 is likely to be a LOT less hassle than it would be to take a current 360 or PS3 game and port it to Wii. Sure it's work but you won't have to completely chnage all your assets and art....

Epic's best interest is to have their engine available on as many platforms as possible, which is why I believe they will eventually announce it for Wii U. They also have an interest in the next generation of consoles being as powerful as possible, though, as that will both increase the sales of UE4 to developers, and also increase the amount they can charge for the engine.

Bagu

hmmm so who's more qualified to talk about system power a game director or a art director.The wii-u power roller coaster never stops.

The art director since he has to work with the hardware directly. Game director, has the man himself said, is more concerned with the games narrative and how that narrative is achieved. Things that aren't directly affected by the hardware

Jon

I know this had to have been suggested, but now that we have the horsepower, can we get a first-person Pokemon RPG? The Wii-U screen could act as a Pokedex, and I can see it being used to scan weeds for items, or to alert you if Pokemon were near.

This is my contribution to the Wii-U thread. Nintendo 4 ever.

frostbyte

Rösti;36432567 said:
Avalanche Studios, DICE, Funcom, Mojang, Remedy, IO Interactive and Starbreeze to name a few.

DICE and Starbreeze.

Ah, thanks for clearing that up.

The other two quotes had their own threads, does this get one?

I wouldn't make one personally, but the carnival of stupid that is GAF seemed to demand it the last two times

I would advise against making a thread about it. It's ultimately going to create another shitstorm again for no substantial reason.

Nibel

Han Randhawa looks really strong - I think I believe him.
I only believe in strong men.

Come on, let's act like crazy rabid Nintendo fanboys and make conclusions out of this: Wii U running UE4 confirmed!

frostbyte

Han Randhawa looks really strong - I think I believe him.
I only believe in strong men.

Come on, let's act like crazy rabid Nintendo fanboys and make conclusions out of this: Wii U running UE4 confirmed!

LOL, what is it with you and strong men?

and you're being unfaithful to Reggie and Iwata :p

...and to stay on topic, uh, I still doubt UE4 will be on Wii U without concessions.

Haha great, so we finally got all the pieces together where that quote came from. We're like the ScoobyDoo team, except we have a monkey who does unspeakable things to his orifices.
It also captures the GroundhogDay nature of this thread.
(There's a funny mention that the tesselator wasn't used for many titles this gen -on consoles mind you- and so they wonder what it will be able to do for Wii U)

Xbox 360 has a tessellation unit and I believe it was the same one used all the way to the Radeon 4000-series of GPUs if that's what it's referring to.

Have this been already posted?:

http://www.nintengen.com/2012/03/darksiders-2-interview-wii-u-is-pretty.html

Basically he says just the contrary than the other Vigil guy.

Nice find. Seems like a damage control response. Still doesn't say anything more than what we've heard since E3 though.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I sent an e-mail to IBM's R&D team yesterday and got a reply today. They just told me to contact IBM in Sweden, and no information about the Wii U microprocessor (which my question concerned) was given. IBM Sweden is not gonna tell me anything, so now I have sent an e-mail to Mike Corrado at IBM Media Relations, he was referenced here, and hopefully he can provide more substantial information. I didn't even ask for any details about the microprocessor, I just requested an estimate on when new information may surface.

IBM's 1Q 2012 Earnings Announcement is scheduled for the 17th April, and that is what's in the event calendar listed prior to E3. There's always a Q&A session connected to these events, and potentially an investor may ask about this microprocessor (and its eDRAM), though I doubt IBM would talk. There is a bunch of earlier webcasts that may have housed a small mention of Wii U, but I've heard nothing about it. If anyone wants to plow through these, be my guest.

Source: http://www.ibm.com/investor/events/

Thraktor

This is a good quote for those who know little about CPU architecture. Though most will look upon this in sadness, fearing the WiiU's CPU will suck, those who understand CPU architecture, will know how good this is. Remember a few things before taking this quote negatively.

1. 2-way SMT: Multi-threads can make a single core CPU, think like a duel core, and while originally they weren't that good, they've come a long way. Yes, the 360 has a tri-core 2-way SMT CPU, but it's 7 years old. The WiiU's is much newer, making it more efficient in the way it runs data.

2. cache: Like Thrak already said, WiiU has more cache than the 360, allowing for more efficient data processing. Now I would like to know if its 3MB L2 cache is 3MB per core, or 1MB per core and it adds up to 3MB (hoping for the former). But we also know that WiiU also will have the eDRAM in the CPU (I believe it can also be considered, or is the L3 cache), which is suppose to be way above the 360's, with most of us believing it's 32MBs of eDRAM. This will kill latency and probably help for better load times, and less pop-in.

3. OoOe: OoOe, was explained pretty damned well by Thrak, don't think I need to explain it anymore, just remember it.

4. Optimization: Optimizing a game specifically for the WiiU could show incredible results. Just look at Skyward Sword for the Wii, Uncharted 3 on the PS3, Gears 3 on the 360, Star Wars Rouge Squadron on the GC, Shadow of the Colossus on the PS2, Conker's live and reloaded for the Xbox, or hell Conker's bad fur day on the N64. These were games that pulled off results so amazing, you wouldn't think they were done with the console they're on. This is what good optimizing can do. It wasn't seen very well this gen, as most devs just said fuck it, and made it with a pre-made engine. But some devs, Crytek for example, optimized they're own engine so well, they pulled off what they themselves deemed impossible.

Thanks, just a few things to clarify, though:

- Even among very powerful CPUs, almost none of them achieve higher than 2-way multi-threading (Power7 is the only one I can think of). Full 4-way SMT would've been incredible, but unfortunately rather unrealistic given the cost/die size/heat constraints that Nintendo are dealing with.

- The eDRAM L2 cache on the Wii U's CPU is understood to be 3MB in total, divided asymmetrically between the cores (perhaps 1.5MB/768kB/768kB). The way IBM's eDRAM cache works, each core get's it's own part of the cache, but can also overflow into the other core's cache areas (effectively treating them as L3). I'd expect this to be the case with the Wii U CPU's cache.

- The 32MB eDRAM that's talked about will be on-chip with the GPU, much like the Wii's 1T-SRAM or the XBox360's 10MB of GPU eDRAM. The CPU will likely have access to it, as it would need to for Wii BC, but it's not a cache, and it'll be primarily used by the GPU as a framebuffer.

Nibel

LOL, what is it with you and strong men?

and you're being unfaithful to Reggie and Iwata :p

I always said that the number one reason for me to buy a Wii U console is because Reggie is a strong man and I trust him and his superhuman palms.

Why should I buy stuff from weak men? If your suit isn't big enough, then you will get a No from me.

This is a much more important factor to me than the console's power or software. Strong men know what they do. And Reggie is much more stronger than sunnyboy Kaz or Mattrick.

I only believe in strong quotes.

oT0s1.gif

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I did not see this posted before, though the search function has been a bit sloppy lately:

Green Hills Software's MULTI Integrated Development Environment Selected by Nintendo for Wii U Development.

SAN JOSE, CA — March 27, 2012 — DESIGN West/ESC 2012, Booth #1227 —Green Hills Software, the largest independent vendor of embedded software solutions, has entered into a global license agreement that will enable Nintendo Co., Ltd. to provide Green Hills Software's MULTI® integrated development environment (IDE) to developers that are creating video game software for the upcoming Wii U platform, which is scheduled to be launched later this year.

"We selected the Green Hills Software solution because it generates highly optimized code, and Green Hills provides excellent global support," commented Mr. Genyo Takeda, senior managing director of Integrated Research & Design at Nintendo Co., Ltd.

"Green Hills Software has a long history of supplying the most demanding global corporations with the tools they need to build innovative yet cost-effective and reliable electronic products," commented Tim Reed, general manager of Advanced Products, Green Hills Software. "We are proud to be a valued partner of Nintendo."
Source: http://www.ghs.com/news/20120327_ESC_Nintendo_WiiU.html

HylianTom

Banned
BAHAHA

hilarious.

All aboard the hype train! WHOOT! WHOOT!

:p

Someone make a thread about it. I'm already "pikachu nintendo guy that always defends his lord and savior miyamoto" to some people it seems.

Why bother with a thread? They're gonna cherry-pick whom/what to believe anyway. And it goes both ways, yes, but I see far fewer Nintendo fans concretely concluding that the U will be N powerful.

Already posted. Now focus on finding me a cookie.
What's your favorite kind? (I like white chocolate macadamia, but gave-up cookies for Lent..)

Why bother with a thread? They're gonna cherry-pick whom/what to believe anyway. And it goes both ways, yes, but I see far fewer Nintendo fans concretely concluding that the U will be N powerful.

My thoughts are the same. Some people are convinced to what they want to believe one way or the other. Posting the video wouldn't do much and I can guarantee a thread on it wouldn't get anywhere near the same level of reaction.

guek

Banned

I just think it's funny :p

also, it seems roughly half the people on this forum gather all of their video gaming news about rumors and speculation solely on thread titles

What's your favorite kind? (I like white chocolate macadamia, but gave-up cookies for Lent..)

UUUUUUUUUHHHHH... big cookies. ^_^

I always said that the number one reason for me to buy a Wii U console is because Reggie is a strong man and I trust him and his superhuman palms.

Why should I buy stuff from weak men? If your suit isn't big enough, then you will get a No from me.

This is a much more important factor to me than the console's power or software. Strong men know what they do. And Reggie is much more stronger than sunnyboy Kaz or Mattrick.

oT0s1.gif

I bet you enjoyed Muscle March. Which reminds me I still need to download it.

tkscz

oT0s1.gif
It's like, every ten pages, this picture gets posted.

Rösti;36433351 said:

WTF Kraft, bring those cookies here, it looks delicious

-KRS-

Malmö, Sweden huh?
I suppose it's only for developers, otherwise I might try to sneak in since I live there. :p

And Massive Entertainment has their headquarters in Malmö btw, though the're owned by ubisoft these days.

guek

Banned
blech. despite all your rational arguments of discouragement, I still want a thread of that story to get posted but I want to see if a mod will do it.

*twiddles thumbs impatiently*

edit: or ace could do it lol

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Malmö, Sweden huh?
I suppose it's only for developers, otherwise I might try to sneak in since I live there. :p

And Massive Entertainment has their headquarters in Malmö btw, though the're owned by ubisoft these days.
I believe the Nordic Game Indie Night is open for the public and doesn't feature an admission fee. Otherwise it shouldn't be that difficult to enter even if you do not represent the interactive entertainment industry. Acadmic tickets cost 180€, main conference tickets range from 395-595€.

Bulzeeb

I know this had to have been suggested, but now that we have the horsepower, can we get a first-person Pokemon RPG? The Wii-U screen could act as a Pokedex, and I can see it being used to scan weeds for items, or to alert you if Pokemon were near.

This is my contribution to the Wii-U thread. Nintendo 4 ever.

No, unless by first-person Pokemon RPG you mean a new pokemon snap game

-KRS-

Rösti;36433611 said:
I believe the Nordic Game Indie Night is open for the public and doesn't feature an admission fee. Otherwise it shouldn't be that difficult to enter even if you do not represent the interactive entertainment industry. Acadmic tickets cost 180€, main conference tickets range from 395-595€.

Oh cool. I might go to that Indie thing then. But damn those ticket prices are expensive! Probably can't afford to go to the conference even if I wanted to :p

Top Bottom