• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread The Third: Casting Dreams in The Castle of Miyamoto

staring.png

*in a whispering voice*

It's staring at me.

There's your answer, fishbulb.

The pastebin is obviously bullshit aside from the name lol. Or maybe it was true at the time, but I say kotaku rumour is more likely.

So yeah so far we have:

Orbis - Southern Islands GPU 2-4 gigs of RAM likely
Durango - Not sure of GPU? 2-4 gigs of RAM likely (somehow possible more maybe?)
WiiU - I don't know the GPU, I forget what the latest we think is. RAM 1-2 gigs.

That bit of analysis earlier on here that any system released this year would have to use a split memory pool in order to achieve greater than 2GB total memory, is that still a prevalent consensus, and does it apply to the state of technology expected in 2013?

Linkhero1

It'd be doable with an included 8 GB, but in terms of filling up your fridge it'd be like the largest N64 or WiiWare games are on Wii.

The more included the better, though. Looking at Wii, imagine how negligible the extra cost would be over its life to have 2 GB included standard rather than 512 MB. The extra purchases made by people not having to worry about fridge issues and the handful of extra games possible to be put on the system due to not needing such a small limit as ~40 MB would make up the difference easy.

Nope. I don't know if it was ever planned for 64DD, but it was a cartridge release in Japan in April 2001.

I was kind of hoping that they were going to announce a different storage solution at this years E3. Pretty sure people will complain non-stop if they only provide us with 8 GB. I wouldn't mind being able to use an SD Card but I hated the fact that you had to go to a different screen on the Wii.

Like many have said already, the pastebin is only useful for the name, everything else is bullshit. Kotaku rumour is obviously the more updated one.

Maxrunner

I asked to the Vigil twitter about Morgan comments, the answer:

darksiders
@Maxrunner we are unable to comment on details around the Wii U at this time.

I think people lump Samaritan and UE4 together, and didn't Rein hint at UE4 not being that great at scaling (down)?

Somehow, i don't care e e e e e anymore.
Not that i don't want to know. We need stuff to get hyped over and i need stuff to do, i need like more japanese quotes x.x (not really)

He said something along the lines of UE3 will still be great for up porting to next gen and UE4 will be the go to engine for ground up next gen hardware.

HylianTom

Banned
From comments in other threads this morning, I sense that a lot of the core are quite apprehensive about Sony and microsoft's plans for this upcoming generation. I also sense lots of people ready and willing to jump (back) towards PC gaming.

If Nintendo plays its cards right, they could position their Wii U as the perfect console to pair with a gaming PC.

Bagu

From comments in other threads this morning, I sense that a lot of the core are quite apprehensive about Sony and microsoft's plans for this upcoming generation. I also sense lots of people ready and willing to jump (back) towards PC gaming.

If Nintendo plays its cards right, they could position their Wii U as the perfect console to pair with a gaming PC.

Get a PC and a console that's not trying desperately to emulate a PC!

Maxrunner

The pastebin is obviously bullshit aside from the name lol. Or maybe it was true at the time, but I say kotaku rumour is more likely.

So yeah so far we have:

Orbis - Southern Islands GPU 2-4 gigs of RAM likely
Durango - Not sure of GPU (possibly BASED off of 6670)? 2-4 gigs of RAM likely (somehow possible more maybe?)
WiiU - I don't know the GPU, I forget what the latest we think is. RAM 1-2 gigs.

what pastebin???

what pastebin???
pastebin from december 2011 which comes off as console wars BS said that the ps4 is a piece of shit compared to the next xbox with specs more close to Wii U, to lazy to find it, check in other thread.

But the kotaku rumour, which is the latest rumour, obviously says otherwise.

Nibel

Linkhero1

Ok, here (scroll a bit down there) Gearbox is like praising the WiiU
And hints at Pax East (6-8 April).

http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012...ands-gearbox-software-aliens-brothers-in-arms

Another aspect of the upcoming game's design Pitchford hopes will represent a significant advancement is Gearbox's heavy investment in the Wii U. Pitchford says he actually believes the Wii U version of Aliens: Colonial Marines will be the best version.

"The Wii U version has so much more to offer ... no other platform can do what the Wii U can do," he says. "If you love [Xbox] 360 games, you are not used to being in a world where you have this new interface. But once you get used to that, you imagine the possibilities; there are some opportunities that are just not possible on any platform that does not have that device."

Pitchford hints that using the Wii U controller as a motion tracker, or in other ways that evoke signature moments form the films will lure gamers to the Wii U for their Aliens fix.

"I don’t want to give spoilers away on some of things we are thinking of or things we have actually implemented already," he said, "but a lot of cool opportunities with that device that are going to make a very unique and compelling experience on that platform. We have given a lot of attention. I think it will not be too long [before] Nintendo opens up their kimono a little bit more about that platform and where it is going, we will be there right with them talking about how Aliens is using it."

Pitchford was tight-lipped regarding details of the game's story, but he did say at least one detail will be revealed next month, in Boston:

"Competitive multiplayer is in the game," he said. "If you are curious about what we are doing there, I strongly recommend visiting us at PAX East."

Here's what he said for those who don't want to click

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Indeed.

So, some NDA really lifted ?
Or it's about to:

I think it will not be too long [before] Nintendo opens up their kimono a little bit more about that platform and where it is going, we will be there right with them talking about how Aliens is using it."

Ok, here (scroll a bit down there) Gearbox is like praising the WiiU
And hints at Pax East (6-8 April).

http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012...ands-gearbox-software-aliens-brothers-in-arms

"The Wii U version has so much more to offer ... no other platform can do what the Wii U can do," he says. "If you love [Xbox] 360 games, you are not used to being in a world where you have this new interface. But once you get used to that, you imagine the possibilities; there are some opportunities that are just not possible on any platform that does not have that device."

Pitchford hints that using the Wii U controller as a motion tracker, or in other ways that evoke signature moments form the films will lure gamers to the Wii U for their Aliens fix.

"I don’t want to give spoilers away on some of things we are thinking of or things we have actually implemented already," he said, "but a lot of cool opportunities with that device that are going to make a very unique and compelling experience on that platform. We have given a lot of attention. I think it will not be too long [before] Nintendo opens up their kimono a little bit more about that platform and where it is going, we will be there right with them talking about how Aliens is using it."

Pitchford was tight-lipped regarding details of the game's story, but he did say at least one detail will be revealed next month, in Boston:

"Competitive multiplayer is in the game," he said. "If you are curious about what we are doing there, I strongly recommend visiting us at PAX East."

Not long till info, Gearbox at PAX.

Coincidence?

Maxrunner

pastebin from december 2011 which comes off as console wars BS said that the ps4 is a piece of shit compared to the next xbox with specs more close to Wii U, to lazy to find it, check in other thread.

But the kotaku rumour, which is the latest rumour, obviously says otherwise.

Yes it says the console will put 4K resolutions which will not happen either....

Thraktor

Alright, the second thing I wanted to put up here before I head back into exile is about the GPU. It's just a bit of deduction/speculation on my part based on what we know.

Wii U's GPU

I've been thinking about the GPU a bit recently, and in particular what we can infer from the decision to use an R700 series (Radeon HD4xxx) chipset in the development kits. Firstly, we know that the Wii U's GPU is, to some extent, a custom chip. It may well be based around an existing chip, but at the very least it has 32Mb of eDRAM onboard, and quite possibly some other extra stuff we don't know about. We also know that it began development in 2009. We can expect that in 2009 and early 2010 Nintendo and AMD settled down on the basic specifications for the chip, ie the number of SPUs, TMUs and ROPs, the use of VLIW5, VLIW4 or GCN architectures, and the intended manufacturing node. Now, sometime in late 2010 or early 2011, when Nintendo were putting together the first dev kits to be sent out to third parties, the GPU quite obviously wasn't ready, so they had to go with one of AMD's off the shelf cards as a stand-in, and they chose one from the R700 line (I've heard the HD4830, but I don't know if we've got confirmation of this).

Why did they do this?

We can pretty safely say that whatever GPU ends up in the Wii U, it will be manufactured at a 40nm or smaller process. Why then go with an older 55nm card when there were plenty of 40nm HD5xxx and HD6xxx cards available which could provide pretty much identical performance with a lower power draw? What characteristic does the Wii U's GPU share with the HD4xxx series that it doesn't with any card in the HD5xxx or HD6xxx lines? There's only one aspect that I can think of:

The HD4xxx series were the only 640 SPU cards available at the time the dev-kits were being put together.

This is actually a fairly sensible reason for putting a R700 series card in the dev kit; Nintendo had settled on a core configuration with 640 SPUs (and perhaps 32 TMUs and 16 ROPs), so a HD4830 would naturally have been the best fit for a development kit. I don't think it would be a stretch to say that this is good evidence for the final GPU being a 640 SPU part.

Now comes the real speculation. Early this year, we started to get reports that developers were getting new development kits with a performance boost over previous kits. That's the sort of thing you'd expect to hear if Nintendo replaced the R700 stand-in card with an early production version of the actual Wii U GPU. This lines up exactly with AMD's new 28nm HD7xxx series coming off the production line, and in particular the HD7770 (Cape Verde), their first 640 SPU part since the HD4xxx series. The HD7770, clocked down to about 600MHz-700Mhz, would fit pretty much perfectly into Nintendo's requirements as far as performance, size and heat are concerned.

Nintendo approached AMD in 2009 looking for a reasonably powerful, but low-wattage GPU to put in their mid-2012 console. It's not unreasonable to speculate that AMD said "we've got a 640 SPU part on a 28nm process planned for late 2011, how about we customise something around that?". It explains why they went with a HD4xxx card in the dev kits, it explains why the dev kit power boost came when it did, and it fits very neatly to what we've heard about performance and power consumption.

And to the inevitable "Nintendo would never do 28nm" responses, keep in mind that Nintendo have always used the smallest available node in manufacturing their hardware, right back to the 350nm chips in the N64. Also this would have been decided back in 2009/2010, when it would have been reasonable to expect the 28nm node to be ready for a 2012 reasonably-priced console. In fact, the push back of the release date from the summer could well be due in part to a desire to wait until the yields on 28nm chips increase.

We also have to consider whether NEC (now Renesas), who manufactured the Gamecube and Wii GPUs, and we can expect are first in line to manufacture the Wii U GPU, are capable of manufacturing at 28nm. As it happens, NEC announced a deal back in 2009 (when Nintendo would have been making the decision) with none other than IBM, to manufacture 28nm chips at East Fishkill, New York, in the very same facility which the Wii U's CPU is being manufactured. How's that for a coincidence?

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Not long till info, Gearbox at PAX.

Coincidence?
PAX East starts Friday next week, though I can't find them in the exhibitor list/floor plan: http://hw1.pa-cdn.com/pax/resources/PAX_East_2012_Expo_Map.pdf

However, they are having a panel:

Gearbox Software is coming to PAX East! Join us for our panel on Sunday, April 8th at 4:30pm in Manticore Theatre to hear from the makers of Aliens: Colonial Marines, Borderlands 2 and more! And let's not forget about FREE PIZZA!

Inside Gearbox Software
Manticore Theatre
Sunday 4:30pm - 5:30pm

Gearbox Software is at PAX East with our panel! If you’ve made it to our PAX Prime panels, you will know not to miss this one! Get a behind the scenes look at the Gearbox Software lineup including: Borderlands 2, Aliens: Colonial Marines and other great Gearbox Software franchises. And what is a Gearbox panel without never before seen reveals, huge exclusives, massive surprises, and of course… FREE PIZZA!
Source: http://www.gearboxity.com/content/view/832/36/

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I don't see why anyone would expect WiiU at PAX East considering how long we have been waiting
Nintendo wanting to prevent a myriad of rabid fanboys storming their booth if no Wii U is demonstrated may be one reason as to why the console could be there.

tkscz

*Sees incredible post by Thraktor*

*Sees everyone comments about Nintendo's Kimoto*

okwiththis.png

On topic, what Thraktor says makes sense, it would also explain Epic's excitement for the system, and Epic hasn't been excited for a Nintendo console sense the N64.

Top Bottom