• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread The Third: Casting Dreams in The Castle of Miyamoto

It could be a case where young folks would rather surf the web and text on their devices while out and about instead of playing handheld versions of their console games.

Then, when this crowd gets home (where most handheld games are played), they'd rather play their games on the big screen instead of on a handheld.

So would that negatively affect the Wii U, given the focus on the DRC?

Yeah, it uses the big screen, but might consumers want to use only the TV when playing at home? I don't believe this; I'm just throwing it out there. :)

hatchx

Banned
Uncharted Vita sold on a cell phone for 2.99 would be colossal financial disaster. They'd need to change their entire model for this.

Just sell me a Vita that can operate as a phone on it and let me stick the damn cartridge in. I'd buy one for sure.

HylianTom

Banned
So would that negatively affect the Wii U, given the focus on the DRC?

Yeah, it uses the big screen, but might consumers want to use only the TV when playing at home? I don't believe this; I'm just throwing it out there. :)

Like Shiggy referred to above, it might not impress young males.. the audience that Nintendo's going after. (But then again, I'm skeptical about Nintendo's ability to achieve mass success with that crowd anyway.)

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
My biggest problem with the Vita is with the overpriced, mandatory memory cards.
I find it unacceptable that a modern handheld has no internal memory whatsoever.
If Nintendo had tried something like that with the 3DS, the hate would have been enormous....

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Why does Vita even need memory cards? Shouldn't games save onto the game card like usual?

The same reason that their digital music players originally forced you to convert your MP3s to ATRAC format.
Also see Betamax vs VHS.
Unweildly Proprietary formats are what Sony does.

No.
You have to ear tickets.

peeweesbigadventure2.jpg

My biggest problem with the Vita is with the overpriced, mandatory memory cards.
I find it unacceptable that a modern handheld has no internal memory whatsoever.
If Nintendo had tried something like that with the 3DS, the hate would have been enormous....

I wonder what the other side would have been like. The … Nintendregs, or whatever this week's put-down is for the Iwatarians. Would they have argued that internal memory is unnecessary for a handheld that supports SD, or would they also be up in arms?

Unweildly Proprietary formats are what Sony does.

Yeah, that drives me a little crazy. My favourite camera so far was a Sony camera, but it's like the only thing I ever had that required Memory Stick, whereas everything else used MMC/SD. It would have been really nice to be able to use the LCD among all my devices. :|

edit: Least Common Denominator, not the other kind of LCD.

"Console games on a handheld" seems like a fairly inaccurate way of attempting to explain why Sony is just completely unable to make handheld games that appeal to a broad audience. I don't think "console-style" games are the problem; honestly, I think the only people who give a shit about that distinction post on GAF or work in the games industry. After all, the 3DS's most popular games are handheld versions of console games: Mario, Mario Kart, Zelda, Monster Hunter, etc. The PSP's most popular games are also pretty much just console games. I think the problem, is, as some have pointed out, demographics. Sony is being squeezed on the low end by Nintendo and on the high end by smartphones, and I don't know what they can do to escape.

"Console games on a handheld" seems like a fairly inaccurate way of attempting to explain why Sony is just completely unable to make handheld games that appeal to a broad audience. I don't think "console-style" games are the problem; honestly, I think the only people who give a shit about that distinction post on GAF or work in the games industry. After all, the 3DS's most popular games are handheld versions of console games: Mario, Mario Kart, Zelda, Monster Hunter, etc. The PSP's most popular games are also pretty much just console games. I think the problem, is, as some have pointed out, demographics. Sony is being squeezed on the low end by Nintendo and on the high end by smartphones, and I don't know what they can do to escape.

Why even make portables then???

It could just be that there's an upper limit to how much the average buyer is willing to pay for a gaming-only console. Maybe $200 is that limit. Have we ever had a dedicated gaming portable achieve substantial success above that price (in the US)?

Why even make portables then???

Do you mean in general, or just Sony? Generally, because people will buy them. They'll buy a lot of them. It's the same reason anyone makes anything.

It could just be that there's an upper limit to how much the average buyer is willing to pay for a gaming-only console. Maybe $200 is that limit. Have we ever had a dedicated gaming portable achieve substantial success above that price (in the US)?

Yeah. Price seems to be hugely important.

Sony's problem with handhelds has always been one of software priorities, not hardware ones.

When Nintendo makes a Mario Kart game, they make sure it's by the Mario Kart team whether it's on 3DS or Wii or Wii U or DS. When Sony makes an Uncharted game for consoles, Naughty Dog makes it, but for handhelds, they see which of their studios isn't busy.

The reviewers and the buying audience pick up on that.

Sony's problem with handhelds has always been one of software priorities, not hardware ones.

When Nintendo makes a Mario Kart game, they make sure it's by the Mario Kart team whether it's on 3DS or Wii or Wii U or DS. When Sony makes an Uncharted game for consoles, Naughty Dog makes it, but for handhelds, they see which of their studios isn't busy.

The reviewers and the buying audience pick up on that.

Pretty much, yeah.
They treat their handheld like a second class system. While Nintendo puts their best teams on the games.

HylianTom

Banned
Sony is the new Kodak. They keep plugging away with a business model that doesn't work.

I remember seeing Kodak everywhere when I was a kid. The logo, the name.

We studied Kodak's handling of the shift from analog to digital in radiography school. They're just not the same any more.

Not a very flattering comparison, indeed.

HylianTom

Banned
What are your usernames/pics going to be for NN?

I'm going to try to stick to this username; I'm "HylianTom" everywhere.

As far as pic.. maybe stick with a variation of the Jake theme. But that's not quite 100% yet; I want to see more specifics on the network before making any final decisions beyond name.

The Boat

The thing is, asides from what Shocking Alberto said, the games you mention are either a good fit for gaming on the go or they're developed in different ways from their home console counterparts in order to fit a handheld well.

BD1

Banned
Actually, as someone who works with people from both Sony (not gaming) and Kodak, I'd say Kodak is on a better path forward than Sony. At least Kodak is restructuring and killing all their unprofitable business units.

Sony is a mess.

Mine is the same on everything, though I don't post it online because I hate getting a zillion friend requests. Maybe when it's out :p

The word Pyro is in it though.

What are your usernames/pics going to be for NN? I've been thinking about this for years.

This user name, and probably something Zelda related for avatar, most likely an Adventure Time crossover with Zelda. Mmmhhhmm.

Although I love my 60's Joker, I think I'll go ahead and find a new avy soon.

HylianTom

Banned
Actually, as someone who works with people from both Sony (not gaming) and Kodak, I'd say Kodak is on a better path forward than Sony. At least Kodak is restructuring and killing all their unprofitable business units.

Sony is a mess.

Kodak (and Rochester, New York) is a shell of what it used to be, but like you said.. they seem to have an escape plan from the mess that they found themselves in. Their digital medical imaging business seems to have picked-up over the past decade or so, which is helping them in replacing losses from selling radiology film (and associated silver business). Medical imaging equipment is big business, and they seem to have an O.K. rep from what I can tell, including when comparing them with their competitors (G.E., Minolta, Fuji, etc).

Redford

aka Cabbie
Personally, I'm going to go with my old Nsider user, Piranahaplant64. And have something Golden Sun related for the avatar.

Hope the whole interface is sprinkled with Nintendo themes. I like the little mascots for the 3DS but it'd be cool to see Pikmin/Captain Falcon or something.

Sony is a mess.

Hirai's ideas of marrying content and hardware isn't going to work

Not the way he thinks, anyway.

BD1

Banned
Kodak (and Rochester, New York) is a shell of what it used to be, but like you said.. they seem to have an escape plan from the mess that they found themselves in. Their digital medical imaging business seems to have picked-up, which is helping them in replacing losses from selling radiology film (and associated silver business). Medical imaging equipment is big business, and they seem to have an O.K. rep from what I can tell, including when comparing them with their competitors (G.E., Minolta, Fuji, etc).

Born and raised in Rochester! No longer live there though, still a great city, but it's definitely not what it once was. Nowhere in Upstate New York is, though.

Hirai's ideas of marrying content and hardware isn't going to work

Not the way he thinks, anyway.

That, and they sell mostly commoditized hardware with constantly eroding margins. Where is this company going to make money?

Top Bottom