• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread The Third: Casting Dreams in The Castle of Miyamoto

Born and raised in Rochester! No longer live there though, still a great city, but it's definitely not what it once was. Nowhere in Upstate New York is, though.

That, and they sell mostly commoditized hardware with constantly eroding margins. Where is this company going to make money?

Judging by the past few years... they aren't.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
What would be a good idea - Nintendo uses your Club Nintendo profile as your Wii U profile....

HylianTom

Banned
I wonder if it's going to be a mad dash to usernames in the first week, or if we can secure them via Club Nintendo account.

If the former, where we have to register a name to a system without Club Nintendo involvement, getting that Wii U online ASAP will be a pretty high priority for lots of folks.
(and horribly beaten)

BD1

Banned
I'm hoping Iwata's comments about account-based Nintendo mean Club Nintendo, Wii U and 3DS all merge into one unified cloud like experience. "Star Road."

Redford

aka Cabbie
:lol, GAFers always have to worry about extortion for usernames or something? I'm sure we'll be able to get the ones we want.

Roo

Personally, I'm going to go with my old Nsider user, Piranahaplant64. And have something Golden Sun related for the avatar.

Hope the whole interface is sprinkled with Nintendo themes. I like the little mascots for the 3DS but it'd be cool to see Pikmin/Captain Falcon or something.

Hey dude...
I'm sorry, but you can't use that username
there's a 9 characters per username limit *trollface* :p

HylianTom

Banned
has this been posted yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcnsG11MRE8&feature=player_embedded#!

the video was made because of all these stupid rumours about the wii u being super weak and all this conflicting anonymous "dev" "information". he pretty much explains why anyone who believes these rumours are basically retards that know jack all about anything technology related (my words not his)

Yeah.. about a day or two ago.

:lol, GAFers always have to worry about extortion for usernames or something? I'm sure we'll be able to get the ones we want.
I'm not too worried; I have one of the most boring, unimaginative names possible. But it's something easy that I can hang-onto for a few decades.

has this been posted yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcnsG11MRE8&feature=player_embedded#!

the video was made because of all these stupid rumours about the wii u being super weak and all this conflicting anonymous "dev" "information". he pretty much explains why anyone who believes these rumours are basically retards that know jack all about anything technology related (my words not his)

Yes it's been posted and optimization seems to be the clearest issue, not that what was said is wrong.

Redford

aka Cabbie
Hey dude...
I'm sorry, but you can't use that username
there's a 9 characters per username limit *trollface* :p

1332999339745.jpg

Damn...

Sony's problem with handhelds has always been one of software priorities, not hardware ones.

When Nintendo makes a Mario Kart game, they make sure it's by the Mario Kart team whether it's on 3DS or Wii or Wii U or DS. When Sony makes an Uncharted game for consoles, Naughty Dog makes it, but for handhelds, they see which of their studios isn't busy.

The reviewers and the buying audience pick up on that.

Reviewers definitely do. I can't tell you how many reviews PSP reviews I've read that say, "Y has done an admirable job of adapting X's vision for series Z to a portable system, but it ultimately falls short of its console big brother." I don't know whether they actually perceive a dip in quality, or if they don't feel the pressure to slather the game with hyperbolic praise because it's on a lesser system by a B-team that Sony doesn't give a shit about. It doesn't help that the portable versions are like the 5th game in the series; series fatigue can't help these games on the review front. That said, I'm not entirely sure the general audience picks up on who actually makes games. Do people walk into Best Buy, see Ghost of Sparta, and say that, oh man, sweet, a new God of War but this one's by Ready at Dawn...I can't hang with this shit because my boys at SSM didn't make it? I'm hesitant to believe that.

The thing is, asides from what Shocking Alberto said, the games you mention are either a good fit for gaming on the go or they're developed in different ways from their home console counterparts in order to fit a handheld well.

That's true to some extent. But do people perceive this when they buy portable games? Are consumers buying Mario 3D Land because it has shorter levels suited for quick play or because it's a new Mario game?

I wish. Is it still press-only?

*chuckle*press...journalism*haha*

Also Bioshock Infinite hasn't been announced as a port has it?

Despite being in the developer interview videos specifically made to hype up the Wii U at last year's E3, Ken Levine has said Irrational has no plans to make a Wii U version of Bioshock Infinite.

Hmm.

Do you mean in general, or just Sony? Generally, because people will buy them. They'll buy a lot of them. It's the same reason anyone makes anything.

Sony.

They're competing with an all-time juggernaut when it comes to handhelds and they're not making substantial progress with the consumer, I just wonder why they keep at it and rather use their resources for a fight they can more than hold their own in.

Yeah, it's not like the Upad has everything the classic controller has or anything...

So should I expect my friends to lug over their DRCs when they visit? What if they don't have a Wii U?

The real question here is: Would a "U-pad" have the same control layout as the DRC?

edt: Wait, by "U-pad", I meant a wireless Classic Controller made expressly for the Wii U, not the DRC itself. Sorry, my bad.

Redford

aka Cabbie
Why would I want to play virtual console games with a giant ass controller?

The classic controller plugging into the wii remote is just stupid design.

Not only that, but it would be nice to have a spare controller if purchasing a tab is prohibitively expensive.

Roo

Why would I want to play virtual console games with a giant ass controller?

The classic controller plugging into the wii remote is just stupid design.

Now that you mention it...
I'm assuming (since Gamecube is not longer supported) IF they confirm Gamecube games for the VC... we're going to play those games with the classic controller/pro... no?

We can't play multiplayer GC games with the Wii U controller so I think that's the best option..(at least for Nintendo)
maybe they can come up with a Wavebird Wii U version? :-/

HylianTom

Banned
I'm assuming (since Gamecube is not longer supported) IF they confirm Gamecube games for the VC... we're going to play those games with the classic controller/pro... no?

We can't play multiplayer GC games with the Wii U controller so I think that's the best option..(at least for Nintendo)

That's what I would assume. If the Wii remote works, I'd guess that most if not all things that plug into it also work.

Although I will miss my GameCube controller..

Anth0ny

They'd have to make a special Classic Controller with analog triggers. Many Gamecube games (including SSBM and Mario Sunshine) are unplayable without them.

Unless they choose not to release those games... *shudders*

Redford

aka Cabbie
Could we get a new R.O.B. while we're at it? Yes, I just watched the AVGN.

Is that Wii Wavebird our goddamn mascot or something?
<3

hatchx

Banned
They'd have to make a special Classic Controller with analog triggers. Many Gamecube games (including SSBM and Mario Sunshine) are unplayable without them.

Unless they choose not to release those games... *shudders*

Are the triggers on the Upad not analog? EDIT- last time we heard?

I wish. Is it still press-only?

*chuckle*press...journalism*haha*

Also Bioshock Infinite hasn't been announced as a port has it?
Yeah, you gotta be a member of the gaming industry or the press to get in to E3. For gaming industry, that does NOT include working at a game store :) And to be a member of the press, you have to have a business license and a solid history of a year's worth of gaming articles, to which you have to have personally authored some of them.

Anth0ny

Are the triggers on the Upad not analog? EDIT- last time we heard?

They are not. I'm expecting that to change at E3 tbh.

Yeah, you gotta be a member of the gaming industry or the press to get in to E3. For gaming industry, that does NOT include working at a game store :) And to be a member of the press, you have to have a business license and a solid history of a year's worth of gaming articles, to which you have to have personally authored some of them.

I thought you could get in for $700 or some shit. I remember hearing people on GAF say they aren't part of the industry and were still able to get in.

Top Bottom