• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread The Third: Casting Dreams in The Castle of Miyamoto

Power is not all important. Software is. I wish people would remember how poorly PS360 did at the start of this generation. I wish people would remember that it was kinect and not high end graphics that pulled 360 into the mainstream. I wish people would remember that it was Wii Sports, Wii Fit, and Mario Kart and not HD resolutions that rocketed the Wii into stardom. I wish people would realize that most consumers aren't going to set the 360 and Wii U next to each other and compare them directly, they're going to be attracted to software that's unique to each system. I wish the people who clamor on and on about how a lack of a large graphical leap hinders sales potential would think about why Wii has sold 95+ million units world wide. I wish people would understand that while lack of third party support is tangentially related to a lack of power in the Wii, it's impossible for the cause of Wii's decline to be contingent on support that was never present during its rise, and that the drop off in 2011 correlates directly with the drop in software support by nintendo themselves. These are arguable points insofar as the spherical shape of the earth is an arguable point.

Great post, lots of explosively irrefutable fact bombs in here.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
Great post, lots of explosively irrefutable fact bombs in here.

Actually, the reason why I liked it was not because of "fact bombs," but rather the "arguable points." It's not about what has factually happened, but rather adding a perspective that seems to be demonstrably ignored.

[edit] which is why that last sentence is gold. haha

I hope it comes in red, blue, purple, or green. Not white or black. Bleh.:( If they change the name, I wonder if they have to change the design too. It still looks like a Wii the way it is now.

I know.. the best we can hope for would be late in the next generation. Poop. :/

I have a feeling in my bones that Nintendo will be ramping up development time across the board. We're going to be seeing more first and second party titles next gen than we've ever seen before imo. They know that these titles are essential to keeping sales momentum and there are plenty of Nintendo IPs that haven't been exploited yet this gen which we'll see being used from later this year and onwards.

Pre

I have a feeling in my bones that Nintendo will be ramping up development time across the board. We're going to be seeing more first and second party titles next gen than we've ever seen before imo. They know that these titles are essential to keeping sales momentum and there are plenty of Nintendo IPs that haven't been exploited yet this gen which we'll see being used from later this year and onwards.

Nintendo must learn how to pace themselves in terms of releases. I know that they're counting on significant third-party support this time, but they must be ready in the (likely) event that third parties bail on them again.

Nintendo must learn how to pace themselves in terms of releases. I know that they're counting on significant third-party support this time, but they must be ready in the (likely) event that third parties bail on them again.

Ja8c5.png

I'm sure it will be a huge focus this time around.

With all their hires and expansions from last year that are still going on, as well as the fact that Wii development seem to have almost stopped 2 years ago, im sure they have quite a number of stuff cooking.

AniHawk

With all their hires and expansions from last year that are still going on, as well as the fact that Wii development seem to have almost stopped 2 years ago, im sure they have quite a number of stuff cooking.

also, they didn't seem to be too into 3ds development, almost like they expected it to just coast to success outside of mario kart 7.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.

And most Nintendo releases on the 3DS so far have had assistance from third parties, indicating that they've been working on something else.

HylianTom

Banned

I could see this happening maybe. They have been on a hiring spree, and they're building new development facilities.

Hiring. Ha. Yet another way they're out-of-step with much of the rest of the industry.

I barely got through that second sentence without laughing.

disco

Yup, lots of careful outsourcing. Retro hiring. Expansion in Japan and at NST. With how Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7 made it out on time in such a short development period, I really think Nintendo are learning to stick to a schedule. Remember the Gamecube when everything just got delayed? Wind Waker, Sunshine, Twilight Princess? I think Nintendo as a company have learned how to use publicity much better and simply not throw around release dates they know they cannot make.

I agree that Nintendo will probably rely on themselves more than any other in the cupcoming generation. I could see them ramping up development on many more titles simultaneusly, more so than they did this gen. I could see the resurrection of IPs they've largely ignored, and so on and so forth.

I think they view this as a defining generation, they're trying to hit every market they've been trying to or wanting to tap into the past many years, all at once, in one system. You got the tablet, the HD games, the online, the (probably) good price, the casual market, and potentially the hardcore market. If they could nab everything they are after with the Wii-U, it would go a very long way for their future brand.

But if they're able to catch the core market and not the casual, then it might not be as great, and vice versa. All speculation on my end but that's just how I view the importance of the upcoming generation for them.

The wii was uncharted territory, now they know what they're after (everything), now it's all execution. Even they know that it's no easy task.

AniHawk

Fire Emblem,
2D Mario,
Paper Mario,
Mario Tennis,
Zelda 3DS,

Really?

i guess i should have said intsys and mario kart

mario tennis - camelot
oot 3d - grezzo
luigi's mansion 2 - next-level
star fox 64 3d - q-games
steel diver - vitei
pilotwings resort - monster

i totally forgot about unannounced zelda game and unannounced mario game though.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Both Zelda and Mario are announced. (Well, Zelda it's more "Yes, we're working on it".) But Mario was announced at the last investor meeting.

And those are 1st and 2nd Party games. (Or Studios owned by Nintendo), so it counts.

I don't see the problem, here.

AniHawk

Both Zelda and Mario are announced. (Well, Zelda it's more "Yes, we're working on it".) But Mario was announced at the last investor meeting.

And those are 1st and 2nd Party games. (Or Studios owned by Nintendo), so it counts.

I don't see the problem, here.

the point was more, nintendo's probably working real hard on their next console because of the lack of focus on the 3ds rather than, nintendo doesn't care about the 3ds at all.

the first year on the 3ds showed a bunch of rushed games and remakes outsourced to other developers. they were treating it like they treated the gba by acting like the system didn't really need any attention and that it would sell regardless. they're probably talking about new 3ds games now because they've reached a point on their wii u games where they can do it, or their 3ds games will connect to the wii u games in some way.

i kinda expect that if smash bros. will be a 3ds and wii u game, that the new 2d mario will be the same deal.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Talking about the Wii U's appeal, here's an anecdote from a friend of mine.

"Are you going to buy a Wii U?"
"Nah. Don't see the point. I only use the Wii for Wii Fit. What's the point of the tablet anyway?"
"You do realise that the Wii U will work with Wii Fit? Plus, you'll be able to see your weight on the tablet screen, concealing it from other family members."
"Really? Maybe I'll buy it then. I'm sick of the family making fun of my weight."

All Nintendo have to do is promote features like that and they'll have no problem with the casual market.

BY2K

Membero Americo

"Nah. Don't see the point. I only use the Wii for Wii Fit. What's the point of the tablet anyway?"
"You do realise that the Wii U will work with Wii Fit? Plus, you'll be able to see your weight on the tablet screen, concealing it from other family members."
"Really? Maybe I'll buy it then. I'm sick of the family making fun of my weight."

All Nintendo have to do is promote features like that and they'll have no problem with the casual market.

Oh sure.

"Buy the Wii U and your friends and family won't be able to laugh at your weight anymore, you fat fuck!"

Roo

Tell him there will be a new game...

Wii Will Fit U

Anth0ny

actually gaming seems to be one of the few (only?) bright spots as of now. Past was bad but it's the only thing on the upswing.

Anyway they won't pull out of anything. They'll just set it up for profits from the get-go unlike last time, and take it from there. Their demise was always greatly exaggerated, come on.

But aren't all the rumors stating that 720/PS4 are going to be powerful as fuck?

It baffles my mind. The underpowered Wii wins this gen by a landslide, and their strategy for next gen is... make a new console that is stronger than current PCs.

Not that I'm complaining. I was just expecting modest upgrades from Sony and Microsoft, and consoles priced no higher than $399. It's not looking like that right now.

But aren't all the rumors stating that 720/PS4 are going to be powerful as fuck?

It baffles my mind. The underpowered Wii wins the gen by a landslide, and their strategy is... make a new console that is stronger than current PCs.

Not that I'm complaining. I was just expecting modest upgrades from Sony and Microsoft, and consoles priced no higher than $399. It's not looking like that right now.
rumours are rumours, and late 2013 is a long ways away. It won't be another 599 disaster, now that they got bluray out of the way. Sony, like Nintendo, can be stubborn and weird, but they aren't stupid enough to make epic mistakes more than once.

BD1

Banned
I agree that Nintendo will probably rely on themselves more than any other in the cupcoming generation. I could see them ramping up development on many more titles simultaneusly, more so than they did this gen. I could see the resurrection of IPs they've largely ignored, and so on and so forth.

Agreed. I think Nintendo will make ever effort with third parties but this isn't a company run by fools, they know their own history for the past 16 years. Nintendo's hiring spree is to bolster its internal studios.

Not only that, but they're ramping up their Western studios. Retro has grown. NST is in revival. Partnering closer and with more western studios. Iwata will get his western mega hit if its the last thing he does.

AniHawk

PSP->Vita?

eh, they put the games on cards, added several different control methods, added a second analog stick, tried to make more handheldy handheld games.

it's a pretty big improvement. only downsides are the lack of third party support, the inability to lower the price if needed, and the whole needing a memory stick to save some games thing.

Shiggy

and vita is quite affordable for what it packs in, which is why I have faith they won't screw up the ps4 so bad.

As for vita's lack of success so far, that's for entirely different reasons.

From what I can see Sony did just the very same mistakes with the Vita as they did with the PSP. To me, the Vita looks like an updated PSP. They still use the same strategy with console games for handhelds, which doesn't seem to work out.

So why do you see as the reasons for the PSP's failure and the Vita's current lack of success?

eh, they put the games on cards, added several different control methods, added a second analog stick, tried to make more handheldy handheld games.

Adding a second analog stick is what people want and why the PSP sold so badly, almost forgot about that. Nah, sorry, those aren't the reasons for which the PSP failed. You are going into the right direction with the lineup though. The market positioning could've needed some serious improvements too.

Anth0ny

it's a pretty big improvement. only downsides are the lack of third party support, the inability to lower the price if needed, and the whole needing a memory stick to save some games thing.

ding ding ding

hatchx

Banned

Sony is in a tough spot until they wise up and integrate the PSP/Vita games into their cell phones.

Sony is in a tough spot until they wise up and integrate the PSP/Vita games into their cell phones.
their cell phones aren't exactly booming

From what I can see Sony did just the very same mistakes with the Vita as they did with the PSP. To me, the Vita looks like an updated PSP. They still use the same strategy with console games for handhelds, which doesn't seem to work out.

So why do you see as the reasons for the PSP's failure and the Vita's current lack of success?

Adding a second analog stick is what people want and why the PSP sold so badly, almost forgot about that. Nah, sorry, those aren't the reasons for which the PSP failed. You are going into the right direction with the lineup though. The market positioning could've needed some serious improvements too.
simple, content. Content is always the issue with Sony handhelds. Nintendo has a foothold because their franchises are synonymous with handheld gaming, as is the brand itself (nintendo brand).

Sony can't compete by doing what Nintendo has done, so they have to differentiate, the Vita is that differentiation, it's more high end, offers more features and whatnot. But once again, they don't have the content to thrive in japan yet, and in NA, a Sony handheld would need nothing short of a miracle to be anything but passable.

BD1

Banned

Uncharted Vita sold on a cell phone for 2.99 would be colossal financial disaster. They'd need to change their entire model for this.

lenovox1

Personal opinion time: The PSP and Vita's biggest market is young teens and single, male adults, and they're more attracted by the iOS environment as of late. Sony is having a hard time positioning itself against a phone or its PMP brother through marketing. And they don't have the franchises or the kid audience Nintendo's portables have to combat that problem.

AniHawk

Uncharted Vita sold on a cell phone for 2.99 would be colossal financial disaster. They'd need to change their entire model for this.

uncharted is such a well known franchise. the last one sold four million copies. that almost never happens these days.

HylianTom

Banned
Personal opinion time: The PSP and Vita's biggest market is young teens and single, male adults, and they're more attracted by the iOS environment as of late. Sony is having a hard time positioning itself against a phone or its PMP brother through marketing. And they don't have the franchises or the kid audience to combat that problem.

It could be a case where young folks would rather surf the web and text on their devices while out and about instead of playing handheld versions of their console games.

Then, when this crowd gets home (where most handheld games are played), they'd rather play their games on the big screen instead of on a handheld.

Shiggy

simple, content. Content is always the issue with Sony handhelds. Nintendo has a foothold because their franchises are synonymous with handheld gaming, as is the brand itself (nintendo brand).

Sony can't compete by doing what Nintendo has done, so they have to differentiate, the Vita is that differentiation, it's more high end, offers more features and whatnot. But once again, they don't have the content to thrive in japan yet, and in NA, a Sony handheld would need nothing short of a miracle to be anything but passable.

So we come to the same conclusion: Sony once again developed a handheld for which there's no market.

They tried...
Didn't work out too well.

Well, who's buying Sony cell phones anyway these days? Most seem to be going with Samsung, HTC, and Apple, perhaps also Nokia again.

Personal opinion time: The PSP and Vita's biggest market is young teens and single, male adults, and they're more attracted by the iOS environment as of late. Sony is having a hard time positioning itself against a phone or its PMP brother through marketing. And they don't have the franchises or the kid audience Nintendo's portables have to combat that problem.

The problem just is that young teens and male adults also often have a PS3 and Xbox 360 and they see handhelds as something inferior. Tbh, I don't see a reason either for why they should play CoD on Vita instead of PS3. A huge HDTV is just better. And people using their handhelds on the bus or outside? Haven't seen people doing that apart from children. For everything else, there are smartphones, as you already said.

Top Bottom