• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread The Third: Casting Dreams in The Castle of Miyamoto

I believe Nintendos goal in EVERY gen is making profit. Not being No. 1 at the end of that gen. Seriously, what is the 1st place worth when you just burnt money the whole generation?

I believe Nintendos goal in EVERY gen is making profit. Not being No. 1 at the end of that gen. Seriously, what is the 1st place worth when you just burnt money the whole generation?

The video game industry is really in a class of its own as far as stupidity goes. Hypothetical scenario: can you imagine if some of the major Hollywood studios (Fox, Universal, ect) were willing to fight it out every year and bleed cash just to see who could make more movies with "better" CGI and special effects?

Shurayuki

"Nintendo can't possibly hope for that twice in a row"

People said that about the 3DS, and laughed when it seemed to come true.

Then it tracked above the DS.

Believe

Yeah, all the companies really. We have to cling to sale numbers that, while being nice a certainly a good indicator, in the end mean hardly anything to the people working in the industry. It's all about the bottom line. Always.
That being said, having the largest install base is of course imperative to secure 3rd party support. They have to support the leader. Right guys? Right?

What was the supposed Jet Set Radio rumour someone mentioned? Having too much trouble keeping up today, sorry.

Heard about it here too, but i'd guess a JSR for Wii-U that got canned due to Sega's financial trouble?
Good thing my Football Manager is safe at least :eek:

Sadist

"Nintendo can't possibly hope for that twice in a row"

People said that about the 3DS, and laughed when it seemed to come true.

Then it tracked above the DS.
Well, Nintendo's grip on the handheld market is somewhat different compared to it's console offerings.

What was the supposed Jet Set Radio rumour someone mentioned? Having too much trouble keeping up today, sorry.
Sega's restructuring involves canceling several projects, including a Wii U game. There were hints of that being a Jet Set Radio game.

ShockingAlberto posted that he had heard that a Headstrong-developed reboot of a Dreamcast franchise was cancelled, that said franchise had appeared on PSN/XBLA, and that it was most likely JSR.

Someone else said that the game was also in the works for 3DS and Vita, but I'm not sure about the source.

Shurayuki

Well, Nintendo's grip on the handheld market is somewhat different compared to it's console offerings.

Oh of course. But if "Thunder doesn't strike the same place twice" is the argument to say Wii-U might/will fail, there's a precedent, and Nintendo surely came off a way weaker position with Wii.
It could be a comparable situation.
Nintendo launches at the upper echelon of the price we assume and sales stutter a bit. The "promised" 3rd party games aren't really there and the big 1st party guns are a few months off. Nintendo is dUmed.
Then those hit, a franchise that's considered to be a Sony/Microsoft franchise comes to Wii-U, price cut...IT PRINTS MONEY

Or they just come out guns blazing and nothing like that happens. I just want an affordable console, 3DS was a godsent :3 (I lied, I spent an assload to import a LovePlus LE xp the theory stands)

Snakeyes

We're already talking about a 4th revision of the thread? Damn, it just hit me how much everyone has spoken on the system thus far. It also shows me that no matter what, Nintendo's next offering has the public wrapped around its fingers already. Funny how that works.
This may be true for the geekiest forum on the web, but most casual gamers have given up on Nintendo and are eagerly awaiting the Next Unsustainable Twins.

HylianTom

Banned
MY COMPANY IS NUMBA 1 AND YOURS NUMBA 3 AHAHAHA

Meh. I want Nintendo to make plenty o'profit so that they're around and making my favorite games for another 120+ years. First place is fun for bragging and making forum haters eat crow (and I find it a bit appropriate that the video game-centered company leads the video game industry)(ha), but that's about it for me.

Nintendo will arrive at Power Level X eventually. But they'll do so in a safe manner, and I'll enjoy the actual games in the meantime. Call me a "profit worshiper?" Nah. More like patient. But peniswatt-obsessed I ain't. The visual difference isn't worth the arguing anymore, methinks.

That being said, having the largest install base is of course imperative to secure 3rd party support. They have to support the leader. Right guys? Right?

Riiight.

After this past gen, I have no pity for the poor, poor developers. Waah waah waah.

Shurayuki

Meh. I want Nintendo to make plenty o'profit so that they're around and making my favorite games for another 120+ years. First place is fun for bragging and making forum haters eat crow (and I find it a bit appropriate that the video game-centered company leads the video game industry)(ha), but that's about it for me.

Nintendo will arrive at Power Level X eventually. But they'll do so in a safe manner, and I'll enjoy the actual games in the meantime. Call me a "profit worshiper?" Nah. More like patient. But peniswatt-obsessed I ain't. The visual difference isn't worth the arguing anymore, methinks.

While they obviously shouldn't go overboard like PS3 at it's time, Nintendo sits on so much money they don't really have to play it safe for at least 2 gens.
But i generally agree with you, I get power from my PC, just give me quirky fun games at a reasonable price. Hardly see games that use peripherals like the Wiimote or Padlet on PC!
I have to admit that I have Handhelderitis since the DS. Even at home they're so much fun to play and get the kind of games that used to be on consoles :eek:

This may be true for the geekiest forum on the web, but most casual gamers have given up on Nintendo and are eagerly awaiting the Next Unsustainable Twins.

What is that forum then? Reading GAF outside of this thread i don't see any wrappage!

Not really. They probably aren't looking forward to any new game system. If anything they're excited about the new iPad that just came out.

lenovox1

Not really. They probably aren't looking forward to any new game system. If anything they're excited about the new iPad that just came out.

Well, that makes sense. One is out and the other's not. Nintendo's potential customer would likely have both, though.

Oh, sorry. By "casuals", I'm referring to the GTA and COD crowd, not the soccer moms that play Brain Age.

Yeah, well that's true. By all metrics, 18-24 yr. old males are much more excited about Sony's and Microsoft's next machine at this point in time.

HylianTom

Banned
While they obviously shouldn't go overboard like PS3 at it's time, Nintendo sits on so much money they don't really have to play it safe for at least 2 gens.
But i generally agree with you, I get power from my PC, just give me quirky fun games at a reasonable price. Hardly see games that use peripherals like the Wiimote or Padlet on PC!

What is that forum then? Reading GAF outside of this thread i don't see any wrappage!

I'm the same way - high-visual gaming on the PC. Most of my western tastes are served quite well there.

Shurayuki

Well, that makes sense. One is out and the other's not. Nintendo's potential customer would likely have both, though.

600$ Ipad and new console, Kutaragi was right all along!
But you're right, it's mainly a question of generating hype (and yes, building hype up in advance right now is wasted ressources for the biggees part of the marked).

I'm the same way - high-visual gaming on the PC. Most of my western tastes are served quite well there.

Exactly, might be an "Old Guard" (I'm not that old, mid twenties xp) way of thinking, but never change a winning team eh?!

This seems unnecessary.

Arguing a point and resorting to ad hominem attacks speaks more of you than it does the people you have to call names.

Agreed. I find it very odd that people on these boards can be banned for things such as port begging but a user with a demonic username gets away with blatant trolling lol. And if you're going to have a username like that why not go the whole hog and call yourself 'Lucifer666'..? Lololol

Am playing catch up yet again, every time I go near this thread it seems to sprout 10-20 pages!!! :Oo

Shurayuki

Agreed. I find it very odd that people on these boards can be banned for things such as port begging but a user with a demonic username gets away with blatant trolling lol. And if you're going to have a username like that why not go the whole hog and call yourself 'Lucifer666'..? Lololol

Am playing catch up yet again, every time I go near this thread it seems to sprout 10-20 pages!!! :Oo

With how fast as this thread moves, that's last years business, best not wake sleeping dogs. Just let it slide for the time being.
Yeah, 100PP and AutoPagerize keeps me from going insane in this thread. It's only one page for me!

Snakeyes

If more Capcom fighting games would hit the PC, I would really be good with portables, the current Nintendo system and a ballin' ass laptop.

Pretty much this. My PS3 was mainly purchased for fighting games, Souls and FF Versus XIII (lol). If next-gen fighters are released on PC at the same time as the console versions with cross-platform MP and the Souls games start getting steady releases on PC as well I wouldn't need anything more that a handheld and a Wii U.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
We're already talking about a 4th revision of the thread? Damn, it just hit me how much everyone has spoken on the system thus far. It also shows me that no matter what, Nintendo's next offering has the public wrapped around its fingers already. Funny how that works.

I'm kinda interested in how many speculation OTs NextBox and PS4 will run through though.

It isn't just this forum either. On IGN, the Wii U underpowered story attracted 1200+ comments.

HylianTom

Banned
Exactly, might be an "Old Guard" (I'm not that old, mid twenties xp) way of thinking, but never change a winning team eh?!

That's precisely what I've been saying! With the Nintendo console, you get the very best of console gaming (and Japanese gaming). With the PC, you get the very best of high-end visuals gaming (and Western gaming). It's a very old-school way of thinking, dating back to the NES/Commodore 64 days for me.

(and it's pretty hard for me to take seriously anyone who plays the "we need the best graphics" card when making a case for any console.)

BD1

Banned
Wii U not being as successful as Wii does not necessarily mean its a failure. It can still be wildly successful and still not reach Wii numbers.

The Wii is one of the most successful products in the history of consumer electronics. Which is also why Nintendo would be insane to abandon the brand name.

Sega's restructuring involves canceling several projects, including a Wii U game. There were hints of that being a Jet Set Radio game.

I am going to murder someone if that turns out to be true.

Murder I tell you. The XBLA port of JSR is my most anticipated game of this year, so I fucking demand a new JSR that lets me create my own Tags with the Upad.

Sega can go bankrupt for all I care if this is true.

Nibel

Read casuals as dudebros.

Casuals aren't always just dudebros; my sisters are casual gamers and they enjoy Nintendo software more than anything else. The only thing that they would play on the 360 is Dance Central and.. that's pretty much it.

Altough I have to admit that my little sister loves GTAIV :lol
It's funny to watch her play since she doesn't use any weapons and tries to drive without hitting other cars

HylianTom

Banned
Can we be partners in crime?

I'll be the getaway driver. This kind of news pisses me off.

I'm about to apply my mocking "awww.. poor, poor third-party. Boo hoo" stance to them if they keep this kind of stuff up.

And yeah.. I can see how many dudebro gamers could be labeled as "casuals."

Fredrik said:
I wonder why Nintendo is so incredibly silent and if the silence is actually helping them, by building hype and let peoples imaginations go wild etc, or if it's hurting them since not all rumors are positive.
Unless people are planning all their late-year spending now and are unwilling to later change their minds, it doesn't seem like it helps or hurts.
HylianTom said:
The Wiimote speakers remind me of walkie-talkies we used to play with when I was a kid.. that's what prompted my original concern. But for some reason I think Nintendo will do better this time around.
That they'll let you play games entirely on the pad means they pretty much have to. It's alright for the controller sound to be on the backburner if it's exclusively being used as a small complement to your primary sound system.

Gaborn

Wii U not being as successful as Wii does not necessarily mean its a failure. It can still be wildly successful and still not reach Wii numbers.

The Wii is one of the most successful products in the history of consumer electronics. Which is also why Nintendo would be insane to abandon the brand name.

The problem I see is IF Nintendo is unsuccessful with the Wii U what will fill in the gap? Frankly I'd be very surprised if the next Xbox or PS4 sold more than the Wii U considering they're going to launch later and at a higher price (most likely at least). I know the core community on GAF would like them to but more expensive consoles don't tend to do as well regardless of specs. If I'm right we could easily see more contraction in the gaming industry.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
The problem I see is IF Nintendo is unsuccessful with the Wii U what will fill in the gap? Frankly I'd be very surprised if the next Xbox or PS4 sold more than the Wii U considering they're going to launch later and at a higher price (most likely at least). I know the core community on GAF would like them to but more expensive consoles don't tend to do as well regardless of specs. If I'm right we could easily see more contraction in the gaming industry.

This is not a trolling post, but I fully see Sony pulling out of the gaming industry if the PS4 doesn't do well.

BD1

Banned

Well the path the big publishers appear to be on is not sustainable for much of the industry, so I think contraction is unavoidable at the moment.

Which is why I believe Nintendo is trying to find that happy balance on Wii U. They are a game company, and unlike Sony and Microsoft, if the game industry goes under so does Nintendo. They are creating platforms that try to manage cost vs risk. Nintendo is a business in it for themselves first and foremost, but I've sensed they have a responsibility to act as guardian of the entire industry.

HylianTom

Banned
This is not a trolling post, but I fully see Sony pulling out of the gaming industry if the PS4 doesn't do well.

I tend to think that this is dependent-upon how well their restructuring of other divisions goes also. PS4 can do well, but if their other divisions bleed several billion per quarter again.. yikes.

We'll have to wait and see. I know one thing: if any of the console makers ever exits, I'm taking the day off of work to be here.

Thank God Xenoblade is awesome, so I'm less tempted to watch this thread grow all day. Hopefully, Nintendo throw Monolithsoft more of a budget for their next title. A little bit of CGI would go a long way I think. Not as much as Final Fantasy, of course, but just a little bit ala Chrono Cross is deserved. Looking forward to that extra disc space on Wii U!

Don't a lot of people see it this way? Sony is losing a lot of money in the video game department (not sure about cameras, tvs etc;).

Thank God Xenoblade is awesome, so I'm less tempted to watch this thread grow all day. Hopefully, Nintendo throw Monolithsoft more of a budget for their next title. A little bit of CGI would go a long way I think. Not as much as Final Fantasy, of course, but just a little bit ala Chrono Cross is deserved. Looking forward to that extra disc space on Wii U!
If Monolith can make a game TWICE as big as Xenoblade I'll be surprised..seriously. I don't think Monolith will need all that disc space d:

Don't a lot of people see it this way? Sony is loosing a lot of money in the video game department (not sure about cameras, tvs etc;).
actually gaming seems to be one of the few (only?) bright spots as of now. Past was bad but it's the only thing on the upswing.

Anyway they won't pull out of anything. They'll just set it up for profits from the get-go unlike last time, and take it from there. Their demise was always greatly exaggerated, come on.

HylianTom

Banned
Well the path the big publishers appear to be on is not sustainable for much of the industry, so I think contraction is unavoidable at the moment.

Which is why I believe Nintendo is trying to find that happy balance on Wii U. They are a game company, and unlike Sony and Microsoft, if the game industry goes under so does Nintendo. They are creating platforms that try to manage cost vs risk. Nintendo is a business in it for themselves first and foremost, but I've sensed they have a responsibility to act as guardian of the entire industry.

I posted on this some time ago..

And while we're on the topic of doom: if anyone should come out fine from an industry crash, it would be Nintendo. They have an absolutely rabid fanbase, and have been the main supporter of their consoles for a decade now. Can you imagine Microsoft or Sony trying to support their consoles on their own? I hear folks say that Sony's first-party IPs are great, and I'm sure that they're quite lovely and adorable, but they can't hold a candle to Nintendo's.

The Big Two are like a two-headed video game boss that you can't take down by yourself -but you can watch them hurt themselves. By pushing a remarkably unsustainable development paradigm, one-by-one we're going to lose third-party developers - and their third-party support will erode in the long run, leaving them leaning more and more on their first-party titles. They more than anyone should be cognizant of this, but you'd never be able to tell from the business models they're pushin'.

Reallink

Unless people are planning all their late-year spending now and are unwilling to later change their minds, it doesn't seem like it helps or hurts.

That they'll let you play games entirely on the pad means they pretty much have to. It's alright for the controller sound to be on the backburner if it's exclusively being used as a small complement to your primary sound system.

I don't know, a lot of people still think Dreamcast was part of the PS1/N64 generation because that's what they read or heard from friends. Many actively avoided the console because of that. Regardless of how things really turn out, some people will continue to believe Wii U is < PS360 based on these rumors.

Top Bottom