• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread The Third: Casting Dreams in The Castle of Miyamoto

wsippel

Banned
No, they used Pro Logic 2 for both.
It was capable of simulating surround sound, but it wasn't true surround sound audio.
There's no simulation going on, DPL is true surround sound. The only difference between DPL and DD is the way audio is encoded. DD uses discrete digital channels, whereas DPL uses analog phase encoding. DPL has a lower dynamic range and suffers from cross talk, but it's still real six channel surround (well, DPL is technically five to eight channels, depending on the DPL version) - it's no "virtual" surround and it's not like the decoder is guessing what's what or anything.

nordique

What about the SNES?

SNES was great on both ends

But the output part was done by Sony :p (they've always been good with output)

Though recently Nintendo has got back into the output part if you ask me. I like the sound output quality on the 3DS.

I never had an issue with any system actually except the N64, which was lacking in the audio department but that had a lot to do with the Cartridges I think

HylianTom

Banned
Speaking of sound, I hope we have really good sound quality coming out from the uPad. That's one thing we've heard little about, and I hope that someone at E3 brings their headphones and remembers to try plugging them into the uPad while trying out the demo stations. I find that it's a gem of a feature that some folks overlook.. goodness knows I'm sometimes tired of "turn that down!" when it really isn't that loud..

Speaking of sound, I hope we have really good sound quality coming out from the uPad. That's one thing we've heard little about, and I hope that someone at E3 brings their headphones and remembers to try plugging them into the uPad while trying out the demo stations.

The sound should be fine.
Streaming audio isn't a problem, and if they're able to stream high quality video then the sound will be pretty flawless.

HylianTom

Banned
The sound should be fine.
Streaming audio isn't a problem, and if they're able to stream high quality video then the sound will be pretty flawless.

True. I'm not too worried about the headphone output quality; more excited about the feature. :)

I do wonder what kind of speakers they've decided to go with..

GCX

I wonder why Nintendo is so incredibly silent and if the silence is actually helping them, by building hype and let peoples imaginations go wild etc, or if it's hurting them since not all rumors are positive. I'll go crazy if they decide to leave something out at E3 to show closer to launch at TGS instead.
This silence won't mean anything in the long run. If the console reveal is successful at E3 then Nintendo has several months to build hype around it until launch.

Also revealing too much too early can actually hurt the hype. The momentum must be created around the launch, not a year before it.

HylianTom

Banned
True, they went with 2 cent speakers on the Wii Remote.
Though, I think they'll likely use the same speakers they have in the 3DS, just to save money.

The Wiimote speakers remind me of walkie-talkies we used to play with when I was a kid.. that's what prompted my original concern. But for some reason I think Nintendo will do better this time around.

The Wiimote speakers remind me of walkie-talkies we used to play with when I was a kid.. that's what prompted my original concern. But for some reason I think Nintendo will do better this time around.

Well, even if they are crap, it won't matter when you're using headphones.
Still, I doubt they'll use low quality speakers, if the controller is going to be useable as its own gaming device (in a sense).

BlackJace

Ugh the speakers on the Wiimote were atrocious. Hopefully they go with something that wont induce ear bleeding.

God some of the sounds in Twilight Princess were cringe-worthy.
*remembers Ball and Chain sound*

wsippel

Banned
Nintendo had to use Bluetooth to transfer the audio, so they didn't exactly have the bandwidth for high quality sound. The fact that the speaker is piezo-electric didn't exactly help, either - not that it really matters if you're dealing with 4bit, 3kHz audio.

HylianTom

Banned
This silence won't mean anything in the long run. If the console reveal is successful at E3 then Nintendo has several months to build hype around it until launch.

Also revealing too much too early can actually hurt the hype. The momentum must be created around the launch, not a year before it.

There are three main things that I find in common about positive reviews of E3 conferences:
- the presenters, their delivery, and their scripts weren't too crappy (incuding pacing);
- there were lots of sizzly-hot games to overwhelm the audience; and,
- there were plenty of surprises about games, features, guest appearances, etc.

So what did announcing it at E3 last year accomplish then?

Ugh the speakers on the Wiimote were atrocious. Hopefully they go with something that wont induce ear bleeding.

God some of the sounds in Twilight Princess were cringe-worthy.
*remembers Ball and Chain sound*

Which makes me wonder how many cost cutting measures we will see. This tablet controller plus the system will need to be under $400, most likely trying to hit the $299 sweet spot. Given both the PS3 and Xbox 360 currently go for $200 and up it makes me wonder how this system will be in the end.

Which makes me wonder how many cost cutting measures we will see. This tablet controller plus the system will need to be under $400, most likely trying to hit the $299 sweet spot. Given both the PS3 and Xbox 360 currently go for $200 and up it makes me wonder how this system will be in the end.

Distraction from the Wii. Garnering developer interest.

nordique

Regarding Price of the Wii U, consider that the fully featured Xbox 360 with Kinect is $349 (as I write this, in Canada)

Mind you, this is a sale and it will be back up to $399 soon. And it sells.

The 4GB Xbox 360 with Kinect is $299

I will be shocked if Wii U is $299, when it packs better/newer technology than the 360, and although no kinect, the Upad is not going to be cheap with all the technology its packing compared to a typical console controller.

Pleasantly shocked mind you ;)

I suspect it was to give the competition some temptation to copy Nintendo. And it would give them enough time to do it in. :)

Wouldn't that hurt the Wii-U then if they can copy Nintendo while upgrading the hardware?

Regarding Price of the Wii U, consider that the fully featured Xbox 360 with Kinect is $349 (as I write this, in Canada)

I will be shocked if Wii U is $299, when it packs better/newer technology than the 360, and although no kinect, the Upad is not going to be cheap with all the technology its packing compared to a typical console controller.

I wouldn't be since Nintendo is more about entry level family oriented system that don't break the bank. $299 has always been the benchmark and even the Xbox 360 launched at that price, with no hard drive mind you.

That was them revealing too much too early.

It reminds me of a beta. Now they can hear the responses and try and improve it along the way.

HylianTom

Banned

I'm still going back and forth between $299 & $349.. if it's $349, I'll be pleasantly surprised..

HylianTom

Banned
Wouldn't that hurt the Wii-U then if they can copy Nintendo while upgrading the hardware?

Perhaps, but Nintendo may have been gambling on the off-chance that one of the two goes with more modest specs.

Sony in particular can't really afford a big loss. Hehe.. hehehe..
(errm.. dp.. sorry)

The reason why I can't picture 349 is because Nintendo is gonna have a hell of a time convincing people to buy it over the other 2 in christmas time. They either need to have a mindblowing EXCLUSIVE launch title(s), or have a cheap price. No one is gonna buy a wii-U for call of duty and assassins creed 3.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
4.2 or 5.0 hardware, 2.03 software.

EDIT: Nope, sorry IdeaMan, the SDK was updated and is currently at 2.03.

A very recent update then as at the very end of March, my sources were still on the 2.02

Interesting nonetheless, do you think it's linked with the planned arrival of V5 dev kits ?

And the question remain, the increments are small, 2.02 for a few months, then 2.03, one could think they would go for 2.1/2.2 updates.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Ok, after cross-checking the informations from my sources and a middleware new changelog on the web, it seems the SDK 2.02 was still in use at the end of march (and even perhaps the first days of april), the studios where my sources are working still developed through it at the time, and a SDK 2.03 appeared at the beginning of april. So my post is still relevant (and all the studios and middleware companies may not receiving SDK at the same time, though it must be rather quick), and the interrogations/speculations from these infos remain, what can we say about these numbers, the fact that Wii U SDK is evolving at seemingly small increments and at a rather slow pace (2.02 in use for a few months whereas the system is still in development). I edited my post of the previous page concerning SDK.

I hope it's a sign of the arrival of the "V5" dev kits :)

Nintendo's plans have almost certainly changed since last spring, whether as a result of the E3 reaction, 3DS' rough start, or (likely) both. Had they intended at the time to not launch the system until late Q3/Q4 of this year, I doubt it'd have been shown at E3 2011 at all.

Taker666

The speakers on the Wii remote are fine. The problem is the speed/quality of the streaming and lack of memory in the remote.

It can't cope with streaming quality samples of any length ....so we end up with low quality hissy samples being used for the most part. You can make the best speakers in the world sound shit if the audio streamed to them is of really low quality.

Anth0ny

GzuPT.jpg

They were speakers from these kinds of children books. I actually had a nostalgia flashback when I heard the god awful sound quality coming out of the Wiimote :lol

Nintendo's plans have almost certainly changed since last spring, whether as a result of the E3 reaction, 3DS' rough start, or (likely) both. Had they intended at the time to not launch the system until late Q3/Q4 of this year, I doubt it'd have been shown at E3 2011 at all.

I'm wondering if Sony and Microsoft's reluctance to offer new hardware soon also played into it?

VAPitts

please tell me u guys are gonna just wait at least a couple of weeks b4 E3 to make another one of these threads? because while this 3rd one was a little better, it went straight to the sh*thouse after all of the stupid rumors. it gave all the trolls an opportunity to have their premature eja- err victory...

please tell me u guys are gonna just wait at least a couple of weeks b4 E3 to make another one of these threads? because while this 3rd one was a little better, it went straight to the sh*thouse after all of the stupid rumors. it gave all the trolls an opportunity to have their premature eja- err victory...
it doesn't matter because E3 conferences always get their own threads, and believe me if this thread wasn't here, there'd be a lot more wiiU threads being shit up.

We don't really have a choice.
This thread is a living being now. We can't control it. Only feed it and hope it doesn't destroy us all.

I wonder why Nintendo is so incredibly silent and if the silence is actually helping them, by building hype and let peoples imaginations go wild etc, or if it's hurting them since not all rumors are positive. I'll go crazy if they decide to leave something out at E3 to show closer to launch at TGS instead.

It doesn't mean anything. They're a corporation, what did you expect?

HylianTom

Banned
it doesn't matter because E3 conferences always get their own threads, and believe me if this thread wasn't here, there'd be a lot more wiiU threads being shit up.

Yeah.. I specifically remembered a mod explicitly saying that they like these threads because they usually keep us all in one spot. We are a crazy-passionate bunch - not always rational, I'll be the first to admit - but it sounds like this type of thread has a positive effect on the board's overall pleasantness.

(Now, if the thread becomes innundated with trolls, there isn't much incentive to continue to dwell within in it since it's no longer peaceful.)

Top Bottom